Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 968
    It's normal for the M35 navigation screen to move to night mode when the headlights go on. Obviously, your night mode brightness is too dark. You can set the brightness of the screen....or you can set it so it's always in day mode. Read the manual.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Has any of you replaced your driving belt? For those who did, what was the mileage / age at the time of replacement?

Also, how often you replace the in cabin air filter - once a year?

What about tranny fluid - According to the user manual, it say under normal driving condition, change every 60k, but the dealer recommended 30k - it looks and smells perfectly new at 40k, so I want to wait until 60k miles, what do you guys think?
  • finadvfinadv Posts: 59
    If I rotate my tires, does the computer pick up the new placement of the tires, or is this something that needs to be done at the dealer?
  • osbornkgosbornkg Posts: 30
    Don't have to go to the dealer. Computer with pick-up the sensors when you rotate tires. Discount tire in the west rotates tires free of charge. :)
  • finadvfinadv Posts: 59
    Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I did it.
  • nolicnolic Posts: 11
    On my 2004 FX35 AWD, both belts were replaced at around 52.5K miles due to some minor crackings and trans fluid was flushed on the 60K maintenance. I have about 70K miles on my 2004 FX35 and it is mechanically flawless. I replaced the rear brake pads at around 45K and replaced the front disc/pad at 60K including the battery. Other than those mentioned, I haven't had any other problem. I love this SUV and in fact, I just purchased another Infiniti, a 2008 M35. Last but not least, I replaced the Goodyear RSA with a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza at 35K miles and it's been great.
    It is nice to know that you like your FX and welcome to the M family!

I have the belt on my M45 replace around 45K miles - there are a lot of cracks - don't know what caused it. I will wait until 60K to do the tranny flush (at 49k now, so maybe another year since I drive 2 cars alternatively). It is kinda expensive - mainly due to the cost of transmission fluid and the capacity - 10.87 qts. It might be the most expensive maintenance item (not repair) on an M.

Replace the RSA is the best improvement you can do to a M35/45. The rear brake pads on my M45 was replaced around 38K and have not replaced the front yet... I need to check and see how long they can last.
  • mako5mako5 Posts: 15
    Hi , What is the RSA on a m35 ?
    It is the stock tire - Goodyear RSA, which need to be tossed after 10K miles. Don't know why Infiniti insist using that tire.
  • mako5mako5 Posts: 15
    What tire would recommend for a m35 ?
  • I tried Goodyear Eagle 1's but had a bad experience with them. It is very important to keep the wheels in alignment, and to get an alignment when you purchase new tires. Because the M35x is all-wheel-drive, it is hard on tires. I had them rotated regularly but they still wore poorly. They became extremely noisy. I had to replace them at 18,000 miles. Fortunately the good people at Goodyear replaced them for free. Now I am trying the Goodyear Response Edge. Only had them for two days but they are quiet and handle quite well on dry pavement. A good place to review tires is www.tirerack.com.
    We replaced the original Bridgestone tires at 25,000 miles with:
    245/45R-18 9V RRBL Michelin Primacy MXV4 RBL. 60,000 mileage tire. And, what a difference they made. Steering and tracking is much improved. Further, we are just drivers not performance nuts.

I'm sure there are other tires that work just as well, but the Michelin's work for us.

Wishing you well.
    You mean replace the stock Goodyear tires (instead of Bridgestone), right.

The micheline Primacy is fine just to drive around - as you stated. But, for a performance luxury sedan with 275hp (M35), performance should be take into consideration. With that in mind, I would recommend Bridgestone Potenza RE960 (Not the pole position, just the regular RE960).
  • tisleytisley Posts: 1
    We just purchased the Avon 550 M+S tires ,I have used them on our G35 and now our M35, its a good tire and last about 10,000 miles more than Michelin or Good years and About a third cheaper . Go to Tirerack.com and buy them and read the reviews.
    Are you sure it is Avon - Just went to tirerack.com and searched under Avon brand and it is not offer anything for M35 (sport or non-sport). Did you get it with different tread width or different size? :confuse:
  • I have negotiated price/lease for a Lexus GS 460 and M45; both loaded. My issue; sound systems and dealer network. I have already listened to both with my own music and I believe the Mark Levinson is better than Bose and I am a current Lexus owner so I know my dealer. In fact, my Lexus dealer is awesome. BUT...I can not get enough of the M45. I travel a lot and always rent a M35 or FX 35 from Hertz and they are a true joy. I have 5 days to make my decision; I would appreciate quality wisdom. One last comment; it is nice to adjust the Mark Levinson with respect to midrange for that perfect sound and no matter how loud I turn the volume it never craps out. Thank you in advance. Another comment; do you guys/gals always stick with the 3750 mile servivce? I use Mobil 1 Syn and was hoping to go every 6 months or 7500.
    If you can afford the GS460 - apparently you can, I would go with that. I love my M45, but I believe the GS is on another level of refinement. On the other hand, M45 is more sporty and might perform better.

As far as oil change interval, I will definitely use longer interval - at least 5000 miles, 7500 would be OK if you do more than 50% highway driving and where you live is not very hot and dusty.
    We are now on our 2nd M35. The 1st 2007 M35 we totaled with 9000 miles. I believe this car saved us from serious harm. We love our 2nd 2007 M35 and now have 43,000 miles. We did not need the all-wheel drive because we are in the sun belt. There has been much discussion on this board site regarding the all wheel M35X/45X. The problem seems to be in the steering and tracking. Don’t know if this has been corrected with the 2009. I would suggest you start-off with Michelin tires. We replaced the original Bridgestone tires at 25,000 miles with: 245/45R-18 9V RRBL Michelins. There was a marked improvement in steering and tracking.

We are not into sound systems. When you get to our ages sound isn’t important anymore.

Regarding oil changes. We purchased our two M35’s. We run Amsoil in our car. We have changed oil twice in our 2nd M35. Amsoil has an excellent record of accomplishment for extended oil changes and they now have an oil filter that runs the life of the oil. Their recommendations for changing are 25k – 30k mileages or yearly with their premium oils. Web site: Amsoil.com

Lexus/Infiniti are excellent cars. You’ll be happy with both. I might stay with your current dealer. As you say, “my Lexus dealer is awesome” – that is meaningful.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 968
    I think you have summarized why I now only lease cars for 24 months.....but my experience has not been bad with my 08M35....in fact, I have had zero problems.

My 06 had a problem with the fuel fill cutting off and the passenger mirror was replaced because it was acting erratically.

Overall the M has been very reliable but then again, I have an excellent dealer with a good service department. Having said that, I'll be moving to a mercedes E class in 2010 when this lease expires.
  • art234art234 Posts: 103
    Joseph,

Welcome to the club. I had the rattle noise from underneath the vehicle, and they changed the Y pipe and shields after 4 times back--fixed the problem up until a month ago, now the rattling is back, not to mention drive train issues never repaired.

Thankfully, I am returning the car off lease next Wednesday, and it will become someone else's headache.

Good luck trying to get anything from Infiniti/Nissan-they are liars and not honorable, and my attorney is dealing with them now.
  • I hope not to bore you folks regarding my quest to have a great music experience, but I had a revelation today. With the cooperation with my Lexus dealer and the infiniti dealer we had a M45 and Lexus GS 460 side by side to listen to one cd of my choice. Do not laugh, but I choose Michael Jackson greatest hits. Both sounded good, but finally through the wisdom of my wife we realized what was "wrong" with the Bose. Per my wife of 20 years who loves music; "the music sounds like it is in a box with the lid on". After listening to 10 songs in both cars she is right. I was able to adjust the Mark Leveinson's midrange to make the music come alive. Also, with the Bose I had to adjust the base, treble, and fade to different settings for every song. The Mark Levinson required very little adjustment after the first song. I am actually disappointed; the m45 is a blast and I always feel conected to the road. Sorry Infiniti and Bose, but maybe in 3 years when my lease expires the sound system will be "better" FOR MY HEARS.
  • nrwaynenrwayne Posts: 44
    I have a 2008 M35x after having a 2006 for two years. Both have passenger seats that squeak when making turns. When I had the `06, I brought it in to have the squeak checked, took a ride with a tech, and as you would expect the seat made no noise. Since I spend more time going straight than turning, I let it go. My 2008 does the same thing, but I can't be bothered hoping to have it make noise when I bring it to the dealership. Even so, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if I just have a spooky one.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxic- ons/emotorcons/emo_confused.gif
  • barryendbarryend Posts: 121
    I had a 2006 M35X that went off lease in February. I had the Bose with DVD audio deck and speakers in the seats. The sound quality was so poor I thought I needed a hearing aid and the steering wandered so much I thought I needed a brain scan. The ride was like an oxcart.

I now have an Audi A4 2.0 Premium+, quattro sports package. The Symphony sound system is fabulous and I never heard Audi's top of the line Bang & Olfsoon system. The steering and handling is like a go-cart and the ride allot better than the M. The mileage is 30% better.

Bose is overbranded and over advertised. Any high end audio dealer will laugh if you mention their name.
  • Just saw your post. You may have already tired this but deactivate your lane departure system and see if you notice the same problem.
  • barryend; you are SOOOOO right regading the Audi. I drove the same model you purchased except with the B&O System. Goodbye Bose. I am actually embarassed that I was considering the M35, it is too much marketing and not enough performance.
  • slownezslownez Posts: 1
    Hi y'all...after changing my oil and filter on my '07 M45, I decreased my intervals to 2500 miles since I'm now doing mostly stop and go driving. How do I activate the changes? Is there a re-set procedure that the owner's manual left out? I'm goin' bananas over this!
  • BMW540BMW540 Posts: 33
    What is an acceptable amount of oil consumption in 3000 miles?
    Thanks BMW
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    The service intervals are in one of the menus...don't remember exactly where. Did you look in your owners manual?
    Just click on the oil change reminder and it will prompt you to reset - it is right above the place where you adjust the interval. Click Reset and it will clear the mileage to zero... and will remind you in 2500 miles.
    The general accepted standard is less than 1qt per 1000 miles for performance car, but, with modern engines, I would say less than 2 qts for 3000 miles is acceptable.