Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mltsurgermltsurger Posts: 102
    Last time I read this posting everything with my M was fine.I now note the passenger side wood trim is delaminating.MSRP 64,500 and falling apart.What is next?
    Does anyone know the ground clearence for the M45x and is there an issue with winter snow/ice?Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,883
    Edmunds spec sheet for a 2009 model says 5.5 inches, which is not great and more car-like than truck like, if that's what you mean. A Lexus SUV has 7.1 and a Subaru Outback over 8 inches of clearance, to give you an idea. In light fresh snow, I don't think ground clearance is a problem but if you travel on very bad roads, with rocks and ruts, or if you have to plow through hard pack, that might prove to be an issue.

Visiting Host

Is the ground clearance the same on the 2008.I used to drive a Tahoe and my wife has an Outback.We have a 1/2 mile drive but I also use a plow truck.Every now and then I need to get back in after work before I plow. Will a 7 foot plow fit on the front of the M45X. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,883
    Yeah same. You wouldn't want to plow with this type of vehicle and drivetrain. It's really not built for it. You need 4X4 with a low range , not AWD.

• If it has been a while since you have checked with your dealer, you may want to check again. I am a service consultant for a dealer in the Dallas area and we have had the M wood panels in stock with ample supply for a couple of weeks now.

I don't know this for certain, but it looks like the wood panels had a problem in mfg. Hopefully it has been corrected now.

Good luck.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 950
    finally had the panel replaced today....
  • Glad to find this post... I have 2 - 2008 M35x's and both have the problem. One of them is much worse. The back door veneers are just flapping in the wind. Both front doors are warped and peeling. The 2nd car is not as bad and just peeling off. I had these parts on order with Porter Infiniti in DE, and that's been 2 months now, with no end in sight. I guess I will call again...
  • Thank you so much for your input...I asked my dealer if they would contact your dealer and they REFUSED....I do not want to disrespect you, but this kind of issue was my concern before I bought an Infiniti product. I should have stayed with Lexus. It does not bother me that this happen or their is a delay but the "passing of the buck" that myself and other Infiniti owners are experiencing is not acceptable. I was told by my dealer that they were told unable to obtain part and earliest possible date, NEXT YEAR...Can I buy them from you?
    I have a passenger door front with the panel warping and coming off.I called the dealer and 4 days later they have stated the part is in to be replaced.The back -order issue must be resolved.
  • I do believe the supply problem has subsided. I have a scheduled appointment for Nov 6th to have all 4 panels replaced. As to overall quality this is the only issue I have experienced with this M35x...
  • j21mj21m Posts: 22
    This is such a great car! I owned 3 M-B's previously and my '07 M35 car is superior! Yes I live in Fl and had to replace 2 door panels, but otherwise this car is a gem...Can't wait for the 2011 ;)
  • I just had all 4 replaced on my 08. Service advisor said it's been a problem on all year M's and the 08 panel are the easiest to get. Evidently the 06 and 07 have lots of backorders.
  • Has anyone noticed small (size of a pin head) orange/ rust colored spots on their white infiniti? There very stubborn and hard to remove. Seem almost like freckles.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    While a scary thought, could it be rust peaking through? If it is one of the panels that isn't made of AL, it could be. I was very disappointed in the paint and metal prep on mine. Stone chips take a big divot out of the paint...other cars I've owned, it made a small crater, the paint on the hood causes it to separate from the metal, like they used a poor primer and break out. On a fender, a little paint chip rusts almost instantly. If the panel was not prepped well, it could be rust.

On the Audi I had before the Infiniti, all of the steel panels were double-sided galvanized, so a paint chip never had a chance of rusting...not so on the Infiniti.
  • That would be very disappointing. While the spots are stubborn, they do seem like something you can rub off and there is no obvious damage to the clear coat underneath. Almost seems like the color leaches out from underneath. If you know any other sites that I might check for information, please forward the link. I can not believe I'm the only case and if others noticed this it may be a quality / mfg issue
  • I am not totally sure but much of the skin is aluminum to reduce weight, which cannot be galvanized. Aluminum can however be anodized for protection but who knows what those rice eaters are up to. One thing I would suggest which has helped us with the last 3 Infiniti’s is having a clear bra installed over the front-end and front third of hood. Several companies make this product with 3M being a leader. Our 2007 M has 52K and the front bumper still looks new. Do a google for auto clear bras and you should be able to find kits and installers who come to your home or business. You won’t be disappointed.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    The fenders are steel. So, are these spots all over, or only on certain panels? The aluminum panels don't technically rust, but if not prepared properly the paint doesn't stick well. The only thing that saves elemental aluminum from corroding away to nothing quickly is it forms a thin aluminum oxide skin amost immediately. Unlike iron where the iron oxide (rust) is bigger than the elemental metal (and thus exposes more iron to corrosion), aluminum oxide creates a seal to further oxidation unless abraided - the aluminum oxide is almost the same size, and doesn't expose the metal underneath to further corrosion.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2007 M35x. Did you ever find out what the cause of your problem was and were you able to resolve it?
  • I am having the same problem with downshifting when braking going downhill. Did you ever find a resolution to that issue?
  • While driving my m35X tonight my monitor screen scrambled and went blank (stayed that way) and now the audio system is not operating. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Thanks to all who have provided comments regarding this issue. I had complained about it for 2 yrs to the local dealership, and all I got was "that's the way the car is designed" - now we all know that is BS. I have a 2007 M35x, and I do not have any steering rack or mis-alignment issues. However, the violent pulling of the front wheels on rough roads got worse as the tires wore down (20,000 mi). My car had the Goodyear RS-A's, and they are horrible. After much research and discussions with tires "experts", I decided to take a gamble and replace the tires. I went with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum UHP All Season tires. This was a tough choice, because of the good all season tires out there - they are all about $1000 for this car (installed/complete). The Kumho's had all great reviews and the 60k mile warranty. They changed everything. Gone is the violent pulling - it has been reduced to more of a gentle tug - the same, and perhaps a bit better, than our BMW 135 converitble. Both cars have 18" wheels, but the BMW has UHP run flat tires - we still feel a little bit of tugging in the BMW (2 wheel drive). The Infiniti is now much, much better, and as my wife puts it "safe". We have had the tires for about 500 mi now, and the change was dramatic. It is my understanding that the construction of the all season tire, which differs from a summer UHP tire, is what helps in this situation. For those of you who have dealerships that have helped you, you are fortunate. My dealership refused to help me at all. SInce Infiniti/Nissan will not acknowledge the issue, neither will they. Infiniti's consumer affairs group has ignored the emails I sent to them; all I got was the automated reply. I did log a compliant with the NHTSA. I have to question a manufacturer of a luxury automobile who refuses to acknowledge an issue like this. Kudos to Toyota for taking the hit and following through on the floor mat/gas pedal issues. We have decided to get rid of our M35x, and we will no longer consider Infiniti or Nissan products at any level. It's not the products they create, because we really like the car; it's the way they treat the consumer, especially when there is a potentially negative issue. This issue could be addressed individually and easily. But it would cost Infiniti/Nissan $$, and I assume they are not willing to put up the $$ to save some consumers. What a shame. Let's hope our USA automobile manufacturers embrace better consumer support than this. Thanka again to those who commented in this forum - the data helped me a make a decision that worked for us.
  • BMW540BMW540 Posts: 33
    While my fuel gauge has never functioned properly and I guess this is the norm. My nav computer for fuel economy did until they replaced it. It used to be quite accurate. Now it will say I'm getting 15 mpg., yet it states, 10 miles to empty I still have 6 gallons. Anybody have a idea. As usual, the dealer is of no assistance. Thank you
    BMW
  • I have the M45 X with the Goodyear RSA's ,I live in Wi. and decided to go with winter Tires.I put 17 inch Bridgestone Blizzacks L60.The dealer stated I needed to buy them from them and that 17 inch wheels would not have clearance.I thought that strange when I noticed the spare is a 17 inch size.Anyway,when I left my local mechanic's shop ,I was driving a different car.The Tramlining was resolved.The car was nice before but concerning on certain roads.Its the tire/design combination of the vehicle.It was not safe and now is.They should fix the issue or be prepared to pay for someones life lost.
  • kiwikkiwik Posts: 10
    I live in Colorado and just put on new Michelin AS Pilot Sport Plus tires on my M35X and what a difference!!! I agree the 'tramlining' is gone and its like driving a brand new car.
  • BMW540BMW540 Posts: 33
    I just adjusted my volume for my cell as per instructions on this forum and it did help. Thanks guys! I am still hoping to hear if anybody has the problems with both their fuel gauge and the computer not being able to calculate how much gas is in the car? I stated earlier in the forum how at least my computer was accurate until the dealer replaced part of it. Now they say,nothing is wrong, and it is just guess work on how much gas remains in the tank. I also still have some kind of driveline whine at about 40mph and 80 mph while under power that they say they cannot hear. not super loud, but never the less there.
    Selective hearing I think. Any ideas or solutions would be great.
    BMW
  • The Bridgestone winter tires,Blizzacks are a wonderful driving change.I do not look forward to the Spring in going back to the Goodyear RSA's .There is a safety issue with the tires and Infiniti should own up to it.I do have life insurance for the RSA's quick pulling to the ditch or worse in front of a truck !
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    If you hate the RSA tire that much and worried about your life, I would just replace them. Yeah, it will cost you, but it is not worth risk your life or suffer while driving a luxury car like an M - you paid way more than a set of tire. I would buy a Accord instead if the $1k is a big deal - no offend intended.
  • I will ,thanks for your insight.I am still concerned that the dealers contend that the tires and pull are normal.
  • I've been experiencing fairly severe tramlining with my '06 M35 Sport and had no success resolving it by doing steering checks, wheel alignments, watching the tire pressure, etc. I was running on fairly worn Bridgestone Potenza RE050 (orig equip) and was skeptical that changing tires would resolve what I thought was a mechanical/design issue.

I finally bit the bullet and installed new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and am amazed at how much better the car handles. The tramlining is still there but it is hardly noticeable under most driving conditions. I also have the added benefit of better cornering and decreased road noise. I just hope the problem doesn't return/worsen as the tires get worn. We'll see ...