Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• barryendbarryend Posts: 121
    Complaints Summary
    Make: INFINITI
    Model: M35

Year: 2008
    Complaint Number: 10247283
    Summary:
    MY CAR, A 2008 INFINITI M35X, EXHIBITED EXTREME TRAMLINING (POOR ROAD TRACKING) ON INITIAL DRIVE. THE CAR WOULD WANDER ALL OVER A LANE WHEN RIDING ON A RESURFACED TAR LINE OR SIMILAR. IT WAS MORE SEVERE AT HIGHER SPEEDS. COMPLAINT TO THE DEALER RESULTED IN AN IMMEDIATE TIRE REPLACEMENT, FROM GOODYEAR EAGLE RS-A TO MICHELIN PRIMACY MXV4 WHICH RESULTED IN SOMEWHAT BETTER ROAD RESPONSE, BUT STILL QUITE SEVERE AND NOTICEABLE EVEN AT LOW SPEEDS. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE FROM ANY CAR, LET ALONE ONE THAT COSTS MORE THAN $50,000. CHECKING VARIOUS FORUMS, I SEE THAT MANY PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS VERY PROBLEM. MANY CLAIM THAT CHANGING OUT THE STEERING RACK SOLVES THE PROBLEM. IT'S CLEARLY DANGEROUS AS IT STANDS AND NISSAN/INFINITI SHOULD ISSUE A RECALL TO CORRECT IT. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10220198
    Summary:
    STEERING MECHANISM IS DEFECTIVE. STEERING WHEEL TRAMLNES AND WANDERS. UNSAFE LANE CHANGE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10217860
    Summary:
    THE STEERING WHEEL "TRAMLINES" AND TURNS UNCONTROLLABLY. AT LOW SPEEDS , AND BEFORE THE CAR COMES TO A FULL STOP, THE STEERING WHEEL MAY COME TO REST AT A 30 DEGREE ANGLE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Year: 2006
    Complaint Number: 10262863
    Summary:
    BOUGHT CAR IN OCT/2008. AFTER FIRST MONTH NOTICED ERRATIC STEERING PROBLEMS. SEARCHED ONLINE AND FOUND SEVERAL OTHERS WHO HAD SAME PROBLEM. CAR PULLS TO RIGHT OR LEFT VERY ERRATICALLY EVEN ON SMOOTH FLAT ROADS. TOOK CAR TO ONLY INFINITI DEALERSHIP 3 TIMES. THEY DROVE CAR AND SUGGESTED I BUY NEW TIRES BEFORE THEY WOULD LOOK AT ANY STEERING ISSUES. THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE CAR ONLY HAD 3000 MILES ON THEM. REPLACED TIRES ANYWAY WITH SECOND SET. CAR STILL HAD SAME PROBLEMS. TOOK CAR BACK TO DEALERSHIP, TECH DROVE 6 MILES AND SAID NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE CAR. CALLED INFINITI CONSUMER AFFAIRS TO NOTIFY OF THE PROBLEM AND POOR SERVICE FROM INFINITI DEALERSHIP. CONSUMER AFFAIRS SPOKE WITH DEALERSHIP AND BOTH REFUSED TO FIX THE CAR. THIS CAR IS UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY WITH AN EXTENDED WARRANTY AND WAS TOLD THAT THIS STEERING IS NORMAL FOR THE CAR AND THEY WERE NOT GOING TO FIX IT. I EVEN GAVE THEM CONTACT INFO FOR OTHER DEALERS THAT HAVE REPLACED PARTS ON OTHER CARS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. THIS CAR IS UNSAFE. DEALER DID NOT TAKE TIME PUT ON THE RACK TO INSPECT OR PROPERLY TEST DRIVE. TERRIBLE DEALERSHIP WITH TERRIBLE SERVICE!! *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10258870
    Summary:
    THIS CAR WILL FOLLOW EVERY DIP OR RUT IN THE ROAD AND WILL PULL THE WHEEL HARD TO RIGHT AND LEFT MAIN IT DANGEROUS TO DRIVE IF BOTH HANDS ARE TIGHTLY GRIPPING THE WHEEL. NEW TIRES HELP THE PROBLEM FOR A WHILE BUT THEN IT STARTED BACK UP AFTER THE TIRES GET WORN IN AGAIN. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10257736
    Summary:
    TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2006 INFINITI M35. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 55 MPH ON UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES, THE VEHICLE UNEXPECTEDLY PULLED TO THE LEFT WITHOUT ASSISTANCE. THE VEHICLE TURNED IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE INTENDED STEERING. THE VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED FOR THE MALFUNCTION. THE CONTACT IS IN THE PROCESS OF TAKING THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER FOR REPAIR. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 28,000.

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10256809
    Summary:
    2006 INFINITI MX35 STEERING PROBLEMS. CONSUMER STATES THAT OTHER OWNERS HAVE THE SAME STEERING PROBLEMS. *NJ THE DEALER STATED THAT ALL ASPECTS OF THE STEERING SYSTEM TESTED NORMALLY. *JB

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10252326
    Summary:
    VEHICLE EXPERIENCES SEVERE "TRAMLINING" OR PULLING OF THE STEERING WHEEL TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT UNDER BRAKING OR ON UNEVEN ROAD SURFACES. I HAVE ALMOST ENDED UP IN THE NEXT LANE AND MUST APPLY ACTIVE PRESSURE TO KEEP THE STEERING CENTERED. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10246745
    Summary:
    THE CAR STEERING IS UNSTABLE AND CAN'T GO STRAIGHT ON THE UNEVEN PAVEMENT. IT GOES TO RIGHT OR LEFT BY ITSELF. THE ALIGNMENT DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. THE NEW SET OF TIRE DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. TOTALLY, THE DRIVING FEELING IS UNSAFE. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10216326
    Summary:
    STEERING DIFFICULT TO CONTROL. DEALER INSTALLED NEW STEERING RACK.. SEEMS TO HAVE CURED PROBLEM. *TR

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10161464
    Summary:
    WHEN DRIVING OVER A SECTION OF RUTTED ROAD THE CAR MOVES UNPREDICTABLY AND STRONGLY TO BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT REQUIRING CONSTANT STEERING ADJUSTMENTS TO KEEP IT STRAIGHT. THIS CAUSES A HAZARD IN HEAVY TRAFFIC. *NM

Complaints Summary

Complaint Number: 10159432
    Summary:
    2006 M35 SPORT PULLED TO THE RIGHT WHEN BRAKING OR HITTING A BUMP. *TS WHEN THIS OCCURRED THE CONSUMER LOST SOME CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE. *NM
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    Thanks for posting all the complaints here....it may help get infiniti to focus on the problem, once they know (hint) that it's on Edmunds.

I don't know if they have a standard for this....if an accident occurs and is linked to this problem, I suspect that they have enough to start an investigation.....

Hopefully, Infiniti will do a public or private recall on tires...
  • veragenveragen Posts: 34
    I was reading some of previous posting from Infiniti-M’s maintenance & repair thread and I find some owners and lease-drivers have a very serious situation with their `06 thru `08 Infiniti-M’s! I’m looking towards a possibility to get a 2009 luxury /sports mid-size sedan at year-end `09 sale. My luxury choice as of now is the Lexus ES350 or Hyundai Genesis 4.6 and (my favorite & high marks from CR) lux-n-sporty Infiniti-M. So what gives this problem with the Infiniti-M? Can anyone explain or express any recent resolutions to their Infiniti-M? I’m kind of leaning as a year-end potential buyer of the “M”, but will keep myself posted and aware in these areas of this car. And is possible can it be other issues besides the tires, ABS, tire air pressure & steering–rack/alignment. Maybe other features need looking into like the electronic stability control, intelligent cruise-control or lane departure feature to prevent the “M” to intermit or possible crashing. :confuse:

VeraGen
    The M35X is not a luxury riding car. It is harsh, noisy, heavy steering, poor directional control, ineffective seat heaters, crummy Bose speakers, and a huge gas hog. My wife hated it.

My lease expired in Feb and I am waiting for a special ordered an Audi A4 2.0 with sports suspension package.

Your other cars considered are luxury rather than performance driving cars. Two good choices if you like their feel and handling.

CR is not a good source of car tests. They are better for safety and reliability data. Read the forums with postings and reviews by real users.

I also hear BMW is giving great deals on 328's or 328x's.
    Also take a few long test drives over rough roads, tight parking garages, potholes and highways. If two suspension options are offered drive one of each. The Audi A4 sports and standard suspensions ride and steer like two different cars.

Listen to the stereo, See if the seat heaters really work (unlike M35s)

Don't be bullied and BSed by salesmen. Most people spend more time trying on shoes than road testing cars.

Discuss OEM tires before accepting delivery. Read the ratings on Tire Rack . Don't get a $50,000 car with worthless rubber like Goodyears on Infinities.
  • shmangshmang Posts: 297
    IMO, the Infiniti M35X is the worst of the M line. It does give you the all wheel drive, but not close to what Audi or Subaru's AWD.

On top of that, the OEM tires from Infiniti just made it worse - I have mine replaced at 20K and it drives perfectly. During normal drive, it feels like a luxury car and when drive aggressively, it reminds me of BMW 330i or even the M3 (I have no experience for the current M3 and I am comparing with the M3 back in 2005).

So, if you do decided to get an M, try to avoid the X - M35X or M45X and replace the OEM tire with something else. You will get yourself a luxury performance sedan.

As far as the seat heater - I am in Texas, so, no complaint there since I rarely use it. But the seat cooler works beatifully!
    IN NY they only carry the M35X. Mine went great in snow especially when I tossed the Goodyear RS-As and got Conti Contacts. I am a skier. Contis also reduced the trammeling. Still the ride was harsh and noisy, steering heavy and unsafe and the Bose is a fancy label on a cheap stereo. Roads in the NYC area are often rough. In NY you need a car that steers straight on narrow parkways and streets. Borrowing a 2006 Jetta GLI with sports suspension until my Audi arrives. Jetta rides and handles allot better than M35X. Kudos to the M for quality build, navigation, good looks, service, and roomy interior. Just not the car for NYC suburbs. Everyone here hates them.
    I had G35s as loaners and loved them. If the rear seats folded down I may have consider a G37 with the new engine and tranny.
    I got you. Yeah, when the road get really rough, the steering could be a problem. For you guys up north, AWD makes sense (vs. RWD). So, I guess the M is not a northern car then. Still, I am simply pointing out (and agree with you) that there are steering related issues with M35X regardless where it is driven or how it is driven.

I like the G35 as well - the newer version. The older model is OK, but not as nice as the M, so I bought my M45 and so far it has treated me really good. The premium sound upgrade make it bearable - still not great consider the cost of the car ($58k).

When are you going to get your Audi?
  • art234art234 Posts: 103
    To the person asking about resolution:

My resolution was to insist they replace the tires--with 29K on the car they made me pay half, but then agreed to reimburse me as it was a known issue with the Goodyear tires--and they to date have not reimbursed me!

Then again, I have other issues inside the car, and am willing to walk away from the last three months of the lease--I would NEVER recommend an Infiniti to anyone any more based on this experience.

When you leave the car for a week, and they say they can't find the vibration noise in the cabin, then you insist that the service advisor comes on a drive and he hears the noise, then the service manager says "just turn up your radio", there is a PROBLEM.
    Art

Yes. Some auto problems have no solution. M35X trammeling may be one. My kids just moved to Dix Hills. Try the trammeling the Bronx River Parkway from the Cross County to White Plains for a white knuckle M35X ride. See Pepe Infiniti. They may solve your problems. They replaced my steering rack on my 2006 M.

Could your vibration be from wheel damage from potholes in NYC?

Lease was over 2/09 I had the 14 speaker 5.1 Bose but the speakers were light weights. I liked the cruise that slowed with the traffic and the keyless entry, a/c seats too.

Audi is due in late April. I didn't order all the Infiniti level options like keyless and Bang Olufsen stereo. That would be a 3,000 add-on. I have another car in the meantime.

I may have considered another M if they put the 7-speed in the 2009s. Still the Audi A4 is a great car albeit smaller and much lighter on the gas pump. A smaller car is easier to maneuver in my area. We don't have the Autobahn like L.I.E. ;) We do have the Sprain Brook speedway whose 55 mph limit is eschewed by the 75-80 mph average. A great source of ticket revenues and DWI arrests.
    My issue is with the way it was handled. It is not appropriate for a service manager to address a buzz in the passenger compartment by telling me to turn the radio up.

The tramlining was fixed by changing the tires--get Michelins to replace the Goodyears, and no more tramlining.

The wheels are fine--they have been tested and no issues found. The problem lies somewhere in the drivetrain.

Most annoying is that they had the car for a week, and the advisor took the car home twice and said no problem found. When I went back and made him take a ride with me the front noise appeared in 5 minutes...he could not figure out where it was coming from and the service manager refused to do anything about it and told me turn the radio up.

My next step is to publicize the treatment I have received....via Newsday and other media outlets. If this were a Nissan Versa I could understand but not a $52K car.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    It's time to replace my rear brakes...just barely squeaked by the annual inspection with a little less than 40K miles. For those that have done this on this car, were you able to get by with turning the rotors, or did you just opt for new ones? Also, has anyone tried any other pads or rotors other than OEM? I used EBC sport rotors and Greenstuff pads on my last car, and A6 that seemed to work well, but the (slight) noise from the grooved rotors was a little annoying...I do think they stopped a little better.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    If anyone is seriously interested in purchasing a new M, it would be a good idea to arrange a courtesy drive with the dealership. These are extensive drives for a number of hours or even overnight. You will be able to take the car on long runs and decide for yourself on all that you hear about it on various forums. Not all dealerships will give you this option, so find one that will. I would before spending $40+ on a car.
    Pepe Infinti in White Plains is very good. Perhaps a call to them would be productive. They would never talk to you like that.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi Art. If you haven't already, you might want to post a review in our Dealer Ratings & Review section. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the idea...when I cool off I may just do so.

I am actively looking at other cars right now. I am including BMW 5 series, Lexus GS, and Acura TL as the top 3 contenders at the moment--I am limited in that I MUST have all wheel drive.

I expect a call from Infiniti customer service any day now--and if they don't call me I will hound them until I get to the right person.

Oh, and I drove the 2009 M35X and it is still geared wrong and has a worse ride than the 06. There is no excuse for 3000 rpm at 70 mph in top gear.
    With all the issues we heard here (as well as reported elsewhere). I am just wondering how those compare with Lexus or Acura. I am sure they have some issues. But overall, is Infiniti / M line doing better or worse - as the M was rated very high or fit & finish and build quality & reliability since 2006.

I know Infiniti has not changed much for the M (Other than the 7 spd for M35 - Not for M35X or sports, as well as some minor changes). Is the sales going down or pretty much remain the same - relatively speaking (i.e.: Compare to Lexus and Acura) - I understand that the car sales are down due to current economy situation in general. Do you still think the M are a solid car that delivers good value or it is somewhat a joke or maybe somewhere in between?
    Oh, just want to add my $.02. I still believe the M is well built and very reliable - only had 1 issue in almost 4 years and was taken car under warranty. So, I am happy with the car and think it is a good value - other than the gas mileage for the V8 that married with a 5spd.

What is your take on this as an M owner?
    I drove the Acura TL 4 wheel drive and was very impressed but it was too ugly in front to look at for three years. I never talked deals with them.

The Infiniti G37 sedan is a super car.

Lexus GS may be a good deal since it has been out for years. They may be financially aggressive. Not known for a sporty drive or ride.

I would have road tested Caddy CTS but GMAC no longer leases. If I optioned it up like my M35X was it would have a 50,000 sticker. They say they sell at at invoice and have aggressive financing. Probably buy it loaded in the low 40s. 100,000 mile warranty for all GM's credit is worth.

Personally I downsized to an Audi A4 2.0 with sport package (suspension, 18" wheels, summer tires). Delivery due soon. Wife has had two 3.2 A4s and we love them. The 2009 is larger and the rear seats fold down so I can get 2-pairs of skis in. It is big enough for me and allot easier to maneuver and park than the M35X. 28 mpg hwy.

BMW is aggressively leasing too.
  • bcorig1bcorig1 Posts: 3
    When I bought my '06 M35 in '05 I thought the vehicle was XM ready. I can find no SAT or AUX button on my sound system. I did not get the Bose Surround system, I got the next system down with NAV.
    Do I have to get an aftermarket system for the car? :D