Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shmangshmang Posts: 297
    Are you saying you want to add XM radio now and did not buy the XM option in 05? Since if you already had the XM option, you should be able to just substribe to XM radio to activate it and the XM stations will show up.
  • hilleyhilley Posts: 10
    My navigation system has an intermittent failure. The screen has a small glow and all other functions such as radio etc. fail, but the AC and heat will function, but cannot be controlled. I took it to the dealer and they said that I needed a new screen for $1065.00. I did not believe that it was the screen, since it worked on occasion. Since taking it to the dealer during the winter months, the screen and other functions begin to work correctly more often after Spring arrived. I soon discovered that everything worked fine when the outside ambient temperature was slightly above 70F. When the screen is off their is no power to the navigation DVD. Even though under hood temperature seems to have nothing to do with the problem, I checked the fuse socket. Anyone have a suggestion?
  • My 06 M35x does pretty much the same thing, after 3+ years of working perfectly. Cannot display map (map button does nothing). Eventually map will show up but gets stuck - red directional arrow turns but streets do not advance. Voice recognition takes 30 seconds or more to execute commands, usually fails completely. Only button that always works is Status.

Dealer replaced Nav unit twice, to no avail. They cannot replicate the problem (?) so I made a video of the problem, and sent it to them. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=889DD1B0B

Unbelievably, they tell me they want to replace the SCREEN - obviously not the problem - after speaking with senior engineers at Nissan/Infiniti. I am very frustrated with this experience to say the least. Sounds like a mother board/memory issue with the system. I saw a TSB on the 07 with similar issues relating to the GPS antenna interface - but my dealer apparently didn't look there. I plan to take the TSB in with me. Luckily it's still under warranty.

What's up with Infiniti service?? I may not buy another one - it's a royal pain to get repaired... :mad:
  • If your state Lemon law allows just go straight to an attorney. I had an intermittent non-start issue with my '07 M45 (4500 miles on it) starting 6 weeks after I purchased it. It spent a total of 42 days total with the dealer. Infinti of Tysons service department is the worst. You call and no one calls you back. They treat you like you are stupid. I worked in a dealership and I would have lost my job if I had treated people like they treated us. Infinti Consumer Affairs is not much better. Offered me one car payment and a maintenance contract for 6 years. So I got an attorney. They eventually did get the car fixed. Windshield was leaking into the fuse box. I did receive a settlement from Infiniti. Not what I wanted but better than I expected.
  • hsmolinhsmolin Posts: 20
    Just a follow up to my last post about tramlining. My dealer, Legacy Infiniti of Lynbrook, NY made a courtesy change of my tires from Goodyear to Michelin and performed a wheel alignment on my leased 2008 M35X with approx 6,800 miles. Yesterday was my first chance to try out the new tires on a 3 hour drive. Tramlining definitely reduced but still there to a lesser extent. I'm sure its a design flaw on the all the wheel drive versions. Kudos to Legacy as I thought I was in for a fight but they came through and made the change. Shame on Infiniti for not solving the problem and recalling the car. I own a 2006 G35 coupe and love it and I love everything else about the M35 but the tramlining is disturbing. You have to hold on so tightly to the steering wheel at highway speeds that it makes long drives very tiring. I like to drive and have made the trip to Florida from NY in other vehicles several times. Would never consider it in the M35X as it would drift right off the road if I was tired and lost concentration. Its too bad because the M35x is an excellent value as a sporty luxury car. I'm glad I only have one year left on my two year lease but sad that this inherent problem will cause me to shop with a different manufacturer. I was going to consider the M45X next year. Anyone have another suggestion?
  • art234art234 Posts: 103
    I am glad your dealer at least tried to help you. I had to pay half the cost of the tires, which DID fix the tramlining issue completely (Michelin). There is a known issue with Goodyear tires, and the regional service rep said that I should be reimbursed--whigh Infiniti customer service initially agreed to and then rescinded the offer along with the month payment they had offered.

I would NEVER even look at another Infiniti product--especially when the service manager at Massapequa responded to a complaint about interior buzzing by telling me to turn the radio up......

I can't WAIT to be done with this car and this company.
  • barryendbarryend Posts: 121
    Park it near Yankees Stadium with the door open and motor running.
    Recently, my M45 has developed a bad smell when ever I use the A/C.
    If I turn the A/C on, there will be some smell (When the A/C is on, the smell is not strong, but, if I pay attention, I know it is there). But, when the A/C is turned off, immediately, there will be strong smells, like almost bad food / fungi smell and it will last for the rest of the trip, but, it becomes minimum the next day. I replace the in-cabin filter every year, so I know it is not that.

I have read that this could be caused by the evaporator and is a known problem (for any car with A/C, not M specific). So, I am just checking if any other M or Infiniti owners had this problem? And if this will be covered under warranty? If not, what did you do to fix this and how much it costs?
  • osbornkgosbornkg Posts: 30
    You have likely checked this but when the car is stopped w/ the A/C running is water puddling under the car? Have someone make sure the A/C evaporator pan drain is open and allowed to drain.

We are on our 2nd M35 and have had no problem with the condition you are experiencing.
    When I had my M35X I lost a $300.00 Palm. Bought an Iphone and the Palm turned up 6 months later under the seat track. I had looked under the drivers seat 6 times with a flashlight and never saw it. So, look around you never know what an M can eat.
    ;)
    I did see water dripping off, but not sure if there is any congestion and I want to thoroughly check this. I know where the drain pipe end at, but where is the evaporator pan at? I want to check on both end to make sure there is no standing water up there.
  • I have a 2007 Infiniti M35x with 26,000 miles and it has been having some steering issues since I bought it.

The steering feels precise when turning left. It snaps back correctly when straightening the car, and seems to have the right tension. However when turning right, the steering does not feel precise, seems to be have less "tension" (feels loose). The difference can be felt at slower speeds.

I got four new Michelin Primacy tires just recently, so tires are not the issue. And this issue has been there since I got the car at 20,000 miles (when it had the older tires).

Has anyone seen issues like this with their M35?

I went to the dealership and went for a test drive with the service tech. He says he can't feel the issue and says there is probably no issue since there are no noises from the steering. Not sure what to do here and this is frustrating.

It takes a while to get a feel for the car and only then you can detect the issue. The car is not fun to drive when the steering is not precise.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks.
  • osbornkgosbornkg Posts: 30
    A suggestion to you is research this forum history - print-out these histories for your dealer to review. Many owners of M35X infiniti's have addressed steering problems with the X vehicle. Some dealers have resolved this problem, however there have been many X owner's who have not been satisfied when addressing steering problems with their dealer. This concern boils down to your relationship with the dealer. One of the posts I recently read stated in affect you might be better off leaving your car off in a high crime area and having it stolen. And, so it goes with steering problems with the M35X. We love our M35 and we now have had two to judge from and they have been just great cars - we live in AZ and don't need 4 wheel drive.
    The 2006 M35X had a steering rack issue. Mine was replaced in warranty and shortly after the OEM Goodyear GS-As were replaced with Conti Contact Supremes at 27,000 miles. They were excellent tires and helped allot. Still on-center tracking was poor. I suspect it is a steering geometry engineering short coming. My lease was over in February and I would not have another M. If I still had one with your problems I would keep up the dealer and factory pressure. There may be no solution available.

I assume you have checked tire pressure and alignment. Rotated tires and wheels are true? Do you drive on highly crowned roads? Try a flat lot like a mall lot after hours.

Write Consumer Reports. Their glowing review encouraged me to lease mine.

This steering problem has been widely remarked on this and other forums.
  • The roads are crowned, and I do have the trammeling issue. This is about the loose steering on one side at slow speeds. The tire pressure is good, and the tires are new too. I will try on a flat parking lot after hours to nail down the issue. Thats a great idea. Thanks.

I will write to Consumer report too. They should not be recommending this car so highly.
    Perhaps it is a hydraulic problem in the power steering pump system. Of course check your fluid and perhaps bleed out air bubbles if there are any.

Maybe call Ron Ananian the talk radio car doctor.
    Has any of you replaced your driving belt? For those who did, what was the mileage / age at the time of replacement?

Also, how often you replace the in cabin air filter - once a year?

What about tranny fluid - According to the user manual, it say under normal driving condition, change every 60k, but the dealer recommended 30k - it looks and smells perfectly new at 40k, so I want to wait until 60k miles, what do you guys think?
  • I bought a certified-pre-owned M35 in Dec 2008 with 49,000 miles, after about 4 months I started hearing a high pitched buzz when driving the car over 15 minutes. Ear ringing...headaches. I made 2 trips to the dealer and they could not hear anything..no surprise. The manager asked me when was the last time I had my hearing checked...Wow!!. Frustrated, I invited a neighbor to help me locate the sound. Well, he found the buzz and is was coming from underneath the rear seat and the rear-passanger side wheel well. The problem was a faulty gas pump which is accessed by lifting up the rear seat. The dealer replaced the pump at no cost..and no ...no complimentary oil changes for diagnosing the problem for them.

The second high pitch noise is much more difficult to find. It sounds like a buzz when there is a short in an electrical current/transistor. The noise is much less when I drive with the windows cracked a little. Because the cabin is so air tight it may be a positive cabin pressure issue similar to when your flying, ears ringing and popping. Could the vents for entry and exit of outside air be malfunctioning. Help...peaceofmind.
  • enofileenofile Posts: 1
    I took my 2006 M35 X in for routine service. Now, every time I put my headlights on, the computer - navigation screen creates a black background that is almost impossible to see. I called the dealership here in Louisville, and of course they have no idea what I am talking about. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    I did not opt for the nav system, so this may not be correct. My guess is that the system switches the display to night mode when the lights are turned on verses using a light sensor or the time from the gps. I know just the basic menu displays do that. My handheld device (a Garmin) switches between day and night displays based on the sunrise/sunset program built into it after determining exactly when and where you are....much more accommodating.

I find it dissapointing that they don't use a photosensor to adjust the backlighting and other functions rather than just switching with the headlights. Several cars I've owned did adjust based on ambient light (a Saab and Audi).