Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35/M45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mltsurgermltsurger Posts: 102
    Last time I read this posting everything with my M was fine.I now note the passenger side wood trim is delaminating.MSRP 64,500 and falling apart.What is next?
    Does anyone know the ground clearence for the M45x and is there an issue with winter snow/ice?Thanks
  • Edmunds spec sheet for a 2009 model says 5.5 inches, which is not great and more car-like than truck like, if that's what you mean. A Lexus SUV has 7.1 and a Subaru Outback over 8 inches of clearance, to give you an idea. In light fresh snow, I don't think ground clearance is a problem but if you travel on very bad roads, with rocks and ruts, or if you have to plow through hard pack, that might prove to be an issue.

Visiting Host
    Is the ground clearance the same on the 2008.I used to drive a Tahoe and my wife has an Outback.We have a 1/2 mile drive but I also use a plow truck.Every now and then I need to get back in after work before I plow. Will a 7 foot plow fit on the front of the M45X. Thanks
  • Yeah same. You wouldn't want to plow with this type of vehicle and drivetrain. It's really not built for it. You need 4X4 with a low range , not AWD.
  • If it has been a while since you have checked with your dealer, you may want to check again. I am a service consultant for a dealer in the Dallas area and we have had the M wood panels in stock with ample supply for a couple of weeks now.

I don't know this for certain, but it looks like the wood panels had a problem in mfg. Hopefully it has been corrected now.

Good luck.
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    finally had the panel replaced today....
  • Glad to find this post... I have 2 - 2008 M35x's and both have the problem. One of them is much worse. The back door veneers are just flapping in the wind. Both front doors are warped and peeling. The 2nd car is not as bad and just peeling off. I had these parts on order with Porter Infiniti in DE, and that's been 2 months now, with no end in sight. I guess I will call again...
  • Thank you so much for your input...I asked my dealer if they would contact your dealer and they REFUSED....I do not want to disrespect you, but this kind of issue was my concern before I bought an Infiniti product. I should have stayed with Lexus. It does not bother me that this happen or their is a delay but the "passing of the buck" that myself and other Infiniti owners are experiencing is not acceptable. I was told by my dealer that they were told unable to obtain part and earliest possible date, NEXT YEAR...Can I buy them from you?
    I have a passenger door front with the panel warping and coming off.I called the dealer and 4 days later they have stated the part is in to be replaced.The back -order issue must be resolved.
  • I do believe the supply problem has subsided. I have a scheduled appointment for Nov 6th to have all 4 panels replaced. As to overall quality this is the only issue I have experienced with this M35x...
  • j21mj21m Posts: 22
    This is such a great car! I owned 3 M-B's previously and my '07 M35 car is superior! Yes I live in Fl and had to replace 2 door panels, but otherwise this car is a gem...Can't wait for the 2011 ;)
  • I just had all 4 replaced on my 08. Service advisor said it's been a problem on all year M's and the 08 panel are the easiest to get. Evidently the 06 and 07 have lots of backorders.
  • Has anyone noticed small (size of a pin head) orange/ rust colored spots on their white infiniti? There very stubborn and hard to remove. Seem almost like freckles.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    While a scary thought, could it be rust peaking through? If it is one of the panels that isn't made of AL, it could be. I was very disappointed in the paint and metal prep on mine. Stone chips take a big divot out of the paint...other cars I've owned, it made a small crater, the paint on the hood causes it to separate from the metal, like they used a poor primer and break out. On a fender, a little paint chip rusts almost instantly. If the panel was not prepped well, it could be rust.

On the Audi I had before the Infiniti, all of the steel panels were double-sided galvanized, so a paint chip never had a chance of rusting...not so on the Infiniti.
  • That would be very disappointing. While the spots are stubborn, they do seem like something you can rub off and there is no obvious damage to the clear coat underneath. Almost seems like the color leaches out from underneath. If you know any other sites that I might check for information, please forward the link. I can not believe I'm the only case and if others noticed this it may be a quality / mfg issue
  • I am not totally sure but much of the skin is aluminum to reduce weight, which cannot be galvanized. Aluminum can however be anodized for protection but who knows what those rice eaters are up to. One thing I would suggest which has helped us with the last 3 Infiniti’s is having a clear bra installed over the front-end and front third of hood. Several companies make this product with 3M being a leader. Our 2007 M has 52K and the front bumper still looks new. Do a google for auto clear bras and you should be able to find kits and installers who come to your home or business. You won’t be disappointed.
  • james27james27 Posts: 433
    The fenders are steel. So, are these spots all over, or only on certain panels? The aluminum panels don't technically rust, but if not prepared properly the paint doesn't stick well. The only thing that saves elemental aluminum from corroding away to nothing quickly is it forms a thin aluminum oxide skin amost immediately. Unlike iron where the iron oxide (rust) is bigger than the elemental metal (and thus exposes more iron to corrosion), aluminum oxide creates a seal to further oxidation unless abraided - the aluminum oxide is almost the same size, and doesn't expose the metal underneath to further corrosion.
  • I am having the same problem with my 2007 M35x. Did you ever find out what the cause of your problem was and were you able to resolve it?
  • I am having the same problem with downshifting when braking going downhill. Did you ever find a resolution to that issue?