Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I just bought a 2006 GS300. The bluetooth has about a 3-4 seconds delay to display a connected call so I don't know the other person has already picked up the line. Also, when another party calls in(via Call Waiting) while I am on the phone, as soon as it hangs up, the entire call is disconnected or dropped. Does anyone know the solution to these problems?
  • Could anyone who owns a 2006 GS 300 with the standard stereo (Not ML) tell me if it comes with either a cassette player or an input jack. I would like to know for purposes of using an IPOD. I do not prefer the FM transmitters. Appreciated!
  • My 2006 GS300 AWD (no ML, no NAV) came with a cassette deck. I use it with my iPods, and with my XM Satellite Radio MyFi, all the time in cassette mode.

I would have preferred an AUX jack, and wonder aloud strongly why a newly designed 2006 car would have a cassette deck. But the cassette noise is minimal, and it's more than adequate. It's much better than FM transmitter mode.
  • I agree on both accounts, and I appreciate the info. I occasionally will have the need for audio tapes, such as work-related instructional tapes, etc, so I am glad that they are still putting them in. Also, I can't comfortably listen to an FM transmitter on the IPOD, as I think the quality is poor.

Thanks again!
  • hi everyone i've bought a second hand lexus gs 300 1999 a year ago with 65000 miles. i'm having problems starting the car i have to turn the ignition on and off about 20(twenty) times before it starts. then it will operate normal for about 5(five) or 6(six) times for starting then i'm back to trying to start it 20(twenty) again. what could the problem be?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    When you try to start it and it fails, is there any "clicking" sound? Does the engine try to turn over and fails? Is there any noise at all?
  • Although I have a 98 Camry, I have the same problem. I thought mine was a wheel bearing and hub. After SEVEN visits to two Toyota dealerships, 1 independent shop and 4 Sears, the Toyota dealership (which couldn't find the probelm the first time) said it really WAS the bearing and hub, AND the front drive axle.

I'm not familiar with the steering and suspension of the GS, but yours may have a similar problem. It is VERY hard to diagnose unless you are the driver and can replicate the problem.

Alternatively, it could be faulty strut mounts? However, the GS is not known to have this problem.

My repair for a right front wheel bearing hub and front drive axle cost me $860 with labor and taxes.

To answer your question, your component should not have worn out this fast, and should be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.
  • Besitzt jemand eine Papierliste der Sprachbefehle in deutscher Sprache für meinen GS 300.

Grüße aus Deutschland
    Jürgen Albrecht
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    I presume you're asking about an owner's manual for a GS300 in German.

Have you tried sending a request via:
    http://www.lexus.com/
  • I have a GS 300 without NAV and would like to know if the audio display can be kept on continously. Each time the audio button is pressed, the audio screen will come on, but will go back to the standard display with gas mileage, etc. after several minutes. Is there any way to either change the default screen to audio or make it stay on audio until the vehicle is powered off when audio is chosen?
  • yes when i try to start the car, there is clicking but the engine does not try to turn over
    Sounds like either the starter motor or starter solinoid is bad.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Recharge the battery and if that doesn't work clean and burnish the battery posts and connections and if that doesn't work replace the battery.
  • I too have a '99 GS300, 65k miles and am experiencing the same problem. Seems worse in the cold. Took it to Lexus and after paying them $109, they said they could not find any problem. I hear the clicking noise and must turn the key 5-10 times to start the car. relay, starter, or key igition system? What solved your problem? thanks
    PagePalm
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    As a general rule the "rapid" clicking noise you hear when turning the key to the starting position is the starter solenoid engaging, the battery cannot handle the additional load of the starter, and thus the solenoid drops out due to the sudden low battery voltage, noe the battery voltage rises...

Most typical problem is dirty/poor battery connections otherwise an almost dead battery or bad cell in the battery.
  • problem solved, it was the starter. thanks
  • Hi!

A new battery will solve this problem.

Skip.
  • Has anyone ever changed their own? If so was it a pain or straight forward?
  • mt_23mt_23 Posts: 1
    The same thing happen to me. The dealer had the transmission but that didn't help. It was just the battery. Got a new battery and it was just fine!!
  • Hi, I have a 00' GS300. I recently had the front,right upper control arm and ball joint replaced. My extended warranty company wouldn't pay for the entire cost of the part because they said they only pay the MSRP on the part.
    In this case the MSRP was $450.00 or so and the dealer charged me $491.00. I had to pay the difference. Has anyone come across this before?
  • peterpanpeterpan Posts: 120
    My GS300 has original Bridgestone Potanza RE092 with 17K miles on them. They started wearing unevenly, causing a lot of road noise.

I looked at many different tires and am considering the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, which is high-performance all-season tire. The price is $115 from Tirerack.. Tirerack tested it and rated it #1 in 22 tires in this category. Michelin tires usually wear better, last longer, quieter etc...

You can order the tires from Tirerack, to be shipped to your local Lexus dealer. They can mount and road-force balance the tire for about $20 each. The end cost is still cheaper than Costco, and you have the assurance of properly installed tires on your high-performance car.
  • Since buying the car new there has been wind noise around the drivers and passengers doors. Lexus stated that its normal due to wind channels in the door. There must be someway to quiet it down...hell even my Honda civic is quieter.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    are you sure the wind noise isn't comming from the mirror assemblies? you might try some experimentation, perhaps use some of that blue painter's tape made by 3M available at Lowes or Home Depot that is easily removed, and see if taping over the exposed leading edge of the mirror swivel point does anything to lessen the noise. i suppose you could test areas of the door / window too or other suspect areas using this tape. you'd just want to be careful to use something that wouldn't take paint/finish off.
  • Many thanks for the advise. I'll give it a try this weekend. One more thing: Does anyone know a way to keep the moon roof inside slider closed. It will back off during just normal driving and it causes a noise.
  • I've had the same problem for a long time on my 2000 GS300. Haven't come up with any solution other than to close it good whenever I hear the rattle. Works like a charm.
  • Just replaced my tires with the Turanza tires and it is a very well change. Very quiet and better tracking control. A little pricey from the tire rack at about $210 each.
  • Finally replaced the OEM tires and went with Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Drives like a new car - $199 each, though could have had them at tirerack for $181.
  • I have a 2002 GS430 with Nav and I'd like to upgrade the Nav with real time traffic from XFM. Does anyone know if this is possible?
  • Is it possible to modify the navigation system to allow destination to be entered while the car is in motion. Can't see why the passenger can't enter data while car is in motion.
    Nope. It's not.