Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2006 honda ridgeline and i have had 22 inch rims on it for at least a year and they have been taken off a couple of times to go out of town. We just put the originals back on and now my truck makes this horrible noise and vibrates when in drive but its normal in reverse and in park.. I need some help :) :confuse:
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Google for:

wwest abolition hesitation -dfg

For all you might ever want to know about the re-acceleration downshift delay in these newer, post 1998, FWD and F/awd transaxles.

Ford has a breakthrough solution in that they have adopted a variable displacement ATF oil pump for the Edge while everyone else seems to be stuck trying to get drivers to adapt to their "future intent" detection technique.

Release, Fully Release, the gas pedal FAST/QUICKLY/RAPIDLY and the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware will "judge" (assume..??) that your intent is to slow using engine compression braking and thereby remain in the lower gear you were just using for acceleration, low to MODERATE acceleration. On the other hand ease up on the gas pedal slowly and the ECU will command an upshift.

Once that upshift is (inadvertently) commanded it MUST be completed before a downshift can be commanded and now with the engine idling and the new HIGHLY EFFICIENT ATF real time line pressure control system there will not be enough fluid pressure in reserve to complete a second sequential gear shift/change.

So DBW is used to delay the onset of rising engine torque until the required downshift can be completed.

1-2 second downshift delays are being reported as typical.
  • encarlencarl Posts: 1
    My 2007 ridgeline windshield crack. Its a straight crack originating at the left side progessing toward the center. I took it to two dealers, Cerritos and Downey and said its from a rock. I disagree because the crack is clean and have no spider type impact. Is there anybody suggest how to go about getting an honest opinion.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    What does the cause of the crack matter?

Are you trying to warranty this?

If so, what Honda says is what you are interested in.

Otherwise, you should be interested in what your insurance says.
  • jpm150jpm150 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get any advice on how to replace the mirror glass? Mine got whacked and simply popped out without even scratching the plastic mirror assembly so I'd like to just replace the glass. Also I can't seem to turn up a mirror glass replacement for my Ridgeline -- just the entire mirror assembly. Do you remember where you bought your glass?
  • I have a 2006 Ridgeline w/ a little over 60k on it and about a month ago I started hearing this creaking sound from underneath in the rear, both sides. It got worse as time went by and now when you drive slow or go over a bump you really hear it, on the interstate it is quiet. Never had this problem with any other cars before, have an 02 VW Passat and it's as smooth as when I got it....Hmmmmm, thought Honda's were the cream of the crop in comparison to a VW. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions of a self help fix, don't see anything underneath that's rusted.
    Your main struts (shock absorbers) may be going/gone. Ridgelines have known problems with these.
    Or, there are links on the front anti-sway bars to also cause problems. I'm not sure if these are also on the rear.

A good alignment/suspension shop should be able to quickly find the source of a noise like this.
  • lem888lem888 Posts: 7
    Check out my earlier posting #380. For me, it wasn't a creaking sound, but more of a "thunk". In any event, the dealer replaced the strut assembly (under warranty) and all was well. It seems like these assemblies are trouble.

Good luck.
  • Thanks guys for the info, I'll have it checked out. :)
  • jcglenjcglen Posts: 1
    I don't mean to be a complainer/cry baby.
    Putting gas in one day I noticed that there is RUST in the lower seam of the compartment where the inner metal boot that the gas tank fill tube is in meets the outer body. Now this is a seam where two metals over lap one another, I would think welded together I don't know.
    I took it to the body shop for some answers and they said to do it properly the whole quarter panel would need to be replaced because of the thin metal used in the body. At the same time they asked if I had taken it to the Honda dealer....DUR I felt like a total dip. So my next stop was the dealer pulled into service was greeted by one of the service manager's and showed him the situation nicely. Just so happens there was a Honda reagonal rep there so he came out to look took pictures then returned to the office. The service mgr came back to inform me that honda will fix the problem probably by grinding it down and painting it. This might look good now but what are the chances of it returning again, and if it does what would be my options then.

So I have two questions:
    1. Is grinding the way to go? Or try to push for proper panel replacement.
    2. Should Honda loan me a loaner car to get to work and back?

This my transportation truck to work and after all it's not my fault the truck started rusting. I don't know I'm just a man of principle I guess.
  • Did you find out what was causing the creaking? I just bought a 07 and it creaks or groans on a slow turn. It dose not thunk....more of a groan. Just wondering if you solved your problem....thanks
  • The same think (groan/creak on a slow turn) happened to me, and much to my surprise my power steering fluid was down below the low mark when I checked it.
    (Hint: the power steering fluid cover just yanks off -- what a great design!)

Truck just went out of warranty, and it turns out the problem was with the power steering cooler unit and hoses, which were leaking. Cost me $330.00 (at dealer) to fix.
  • This is coming from the rear of the truck. It loudest in the right rear on a left turn but will also do it on a right. Only notice it at slow speeds but it may be there at higher speeds and not able to here it. It has me baffled. The sound is smiler to the sound a the steering makes when the fluid is low but deeper and louder.
  • This has been going on with my Ridgeline since I got it (late 2005, 06 model RTL). Some kind of strange honing groaning sound under the middle of my truck, maybe more on the passenger side. Only at low speeds going down a hill while turning. I took it in but they found nothing. Honda changes my oil and checks all the fluids every 3 months. It has not gotten any worse over the years. My truck has 45k on it now. It is an irritating sound. I would like to know what it is. I don't have a power steering leak or problem otherwise. My truck goes in for inspection this month. I will post anything I find out
  • Thanks for the reply. I bought the truck knowing it was there and hoping I could fix it. It dose not seam to be a problem driving but it is irritating. It is an 07 with about 70k. I have a few problems with it but It is the most comfortable truck I have driven. Thanks for the info...
  • Hi Frankie,

I bought a 2010 ridgeline and I got it at the end of October 2009. I didn't drive her a lot since I got her as I am leaving 5 minutes from my office. I came back from 3 weeks away without driving the vehicle and when I got back the truck wasn't going well. Weird sounds coming from the front of vehicle, steering hard to turn. Went to dealership and still under warranty as I haven't 4000km on it!! Cooler Transmission unit need to be change! I was looking to know if anybody else has more problems with their ridgeline as I have problem with back driver side window...doesn't open now! I did had the splash guards when I got the truck......I did have some problems to started to the truck too...some days it happen I did try to started it and didn't work. I had to turn back the key and re started again!

I am disappointed as it is a NEW truck so if you can help me or anybody else who experienced any other troubles please let me know!
    I've owned lots of new vehicles. I don't want to remember and write down here, and you don't want to read, all the problems I've had with new, under warranty items on cars from various manufactors. Modern autos are much, much better that they used to be. Ok here is a short list of a new 1972 Corvette - AC switch, windshield wiper motor, rear differential (two teardown involved), tranny dip stick leak, window seal. And, this was within its 12months/12,000 mile warranty. You've got 36months/36,000 miles.

The truck is still under warranty. Let Honda fix it.

There was probably a leak in the PS cooler and when it was low on fluid from the leak, it would have been hard to turn and probably make noise. Sounds like they have fixed this.

The rear window is somewhat of a one-piece item, the entire thing. If there is much of a problem there, they will have to just replace the whole thing, including all 3 pieces of glass and the motor, etc. To get to the window, the rear seats and lots of the rear mouldings will have to be taken out. After they repair it, before you drive off, pop both rear seats up - see if they work ok - and look at all the mouldings in the rear area to see that they are all back down and look fitted good. Check the seat belts. It you have squeaks or rattles back there afterword, make them fix those.

There are thousands of parts in a modern auto. Things break.
  • flyupflyup Posts: 1
    1. am radio static -fixed by install new wire lead-known problem
    2. at 18000 miles left front strut changed clunking noise while turning,
    3. at 22000 miles rt front strut changed same clunking noise while turning.
    4. at 24000 vehicle making noise after driving a while on city streets, rt front strut replaced no help then both bearings in struts replaced and that fixed front noise problem. Dealer said bearing replacement critical to be done right..
    5.New noise, sounds like someone is hitting the floor pan under the rear seat. with a rubber mallet, very loud. You have to be driving usually over city streets for about 20 minutes and the come to a stop. when you start moving again this is when the noise occurs.It never makes a noise on smooth roads Thank god I bought the extended warrany at dealers cost. This was a lovely driving vehicle but its not a good truck and The dealer has been great at trying to fix. I read #380 and wonder how loud the noise was and if anyone else has had this problem. I have owned several Honda vehicles but never had any problems before the ridgeline. Would not recomend it.
    You, and I, bought the first model year of a vehicle. The first year almost always has more 'startup' problems.
    Yes, radio noise on early models is a known problem.
    Yes, strut problems is a known problem also. I do think Honda didn't do good design work on the struts and should step up and help owners on these problems.
    I've not looked back at post 380, but vaguely remember it. Didn't this loud noise also come back to be a rear strut problem?
  • I have a 2006 Ridgeline with 88k miles. Left strut problem also, covered by extended warranty. Radio noise was also fixed early on. Just FYI
  • Hello everyone. Just was reading thru some of the older posts here. I noticed people talking about a noise and thumping when making a slow speed turn. Well I have a 2007 ridgeline and while I have not had this problem yet. I believe I know what the problem is. We have had 3 crv in the past. The last one developed the same problem around 20000 miles. After talking to the dealer it is caused by the rear differential oil. They say it needs to be changed at 20000 miles because it gets contaminated. Once this happens they need to burnish the disc's in the rear end. I am sure if you do a search here for crv's you will find what people are saying.
    It was covered by Honda because the manual gives a longer interval between changes. I hope this may help some of you. It reminds that it is time to change the oil in mine.
    Quite frankly, I could have an AM noise problem, since I very seldom use anything other than FM or CD. And if AM, it's a local station with a signal so strong it would overpower all but the loudest noise.
  • Hello:

I had the exact same problem with my Ridgeline. Change the VTM fluid...this will almost certainly solve your problem.
  • Stopped at the honda dealer yesterday. Asked about changing the vtm fluid(differental). Was given service bulletin 04-040 date august 8/2008. Title of the bulletin is noise and judder from rear when turning. Gives a description of how to correct it. States if in warranty will be covered. Out of warranty may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District parts and service manager.
    I hope this will help you guys out.
  • I haven't worked on it. It turned cold so I headed to south TX for the winter. When I get back the first thing I will do is change all fluids. From what I am reading here it may be all I need. Thanks to all for sharing your information.
  • lugnut44lugnut44 Posts: 5
    I changed the VTM fluid and the noise went away. Thanks for all the help....now on to the next problem. Left hand doors will not power lock....rear window dose not work....fuel tank pressure sensor is sending a fault. Thanks again...Scott
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    This video show the performance of the AWD system in the Ridgeline as well as the Toyota Highlander. Both perform significantly worse than the Suburu in poor tractions conditions. Honda never told me my truck was so anemic.

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

It seems hardly any vehicles really are set up to get good traction in poor conditions.
  • marcusamarcusa Posts: 2
    Hi, Can't seem to find any info out of this weird problem as the dealer never finds it. If I leave the truck in the driveway for a couple of days then start it up,let it idle for a minute and put it in gear, it has a loud metallic 'thunk' (think of an old Dodge pickup from the 80's), coming from the tranny area under the hood.
    Definately is not normal as it is fine all day and the next day too. it seems something drains out after a day or so or some engagement problem. Haven't seen any postings of a fix anywheres.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Posts: 70
    Hmmm ... parking brake on or off?
  • marcusamarcusa Posts: 2
    off...never use it. will take it up with the dealer (3x) when it is back in the winter for oil change. will have him check all fluid levels.