Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Ok Ok, I didn't know that some here are mentally challenge.Thus I'm repeating and simplifying it.

Please post a link showing that Honda CEO's or honchos are paid way more than GM, otherwise,if you can't provide one your statements are mere fabrication of stories.

Guess why I find your post unbelievable, unless you provide a link.Simple,I read it in the internet, though I haven't found the link yet that Toyota executives are underpaid compared to their GM counterparts. That article did not mention anything about Honda.

I hope I don't sound like a no child left behind Mr Einstein.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    That punk with the Colt45 can shoved over is exhaust tip, this is him in the flesh

after writing the above; do you really want to be critical of what people are writing? :confuse:

If a GM or Ford exec makes ANY bonuse while laying off thousands and losing Billions a $1 bonus is too much.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Salaries of auto execs has nothing to do with Ridgeline vehicle problems. Drop the subject and move on, please.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eddiemeddiem Posts: 6
    Hello,

Planning on possibly buying a Ridgeline. I know that ARE (www.4are.com) offers a cap for this vehicle. Prices go for about $1500-$1700. (Shop around: was initially told $1939, then $1750, then found one at $1600.) Add a Yakima or Thule system yourself and enjoy.

Good luck.
  • I have a 2006 Ridgeline and I love just about everything about the truck. I did have problems with the plastic trim around the top of the bed and on the bottom the front seats, Honda is replacing all the plastic trim.

The big problem I have with the vehicle is the hesitaion and jerking forward when I am slowing down and try to accelerate. It kind of sucks having to manipulate the pedal to try and avoid this problem. Honda has road tested the transmission twice and says the truck is shifting "OK". I have read about other people having this same problem but I am not sure if this can be fixed.

Does your Ridgeline hesitate and jerk forward when you slow down and accelerate??
  • Aloha, I have the hesitation in my 2006 rtl. Did you ever resolve this issue with honda or did they tell you you have to live with it? Does your truck still hesitate? My truck hesitates and jerks forward when I slow to turn or pass and then accelerate. Any comments are appretiated! Aloha
  • kyusskyuss Posts: 8
    I have an '06 RTL. There is an annoying speed bump in my parking lot at work. When I first got the Ridge I noticed that if I hit that annoying speed bump at just the right speed the vehicle stability assist would kick in (triangle w/ an "!" in it on the info display). As long as this is displayed it seems to retard the throttle a slight bit. I have noticed that when I am trying to brake while traveling down hill at highway speeds I do get a slight jerk forward. This is probably the electronic braking system working over-time. Both of these issues don't bother my wife or myself enough to warrant any concern, but yours may be worse. Maybe try disabling the VSA for the hesitation issue and see if it continues? Both issues could possibly be a software calibration issue within the computers that Honda may be aware of and could fix. Hopefully this provides some insight.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    -I'm not totally sure, but I think our Ridgelines are 'drive by wire' throttle. In other the throttle does not have a complete mechanical linkage, it has come kind of electric reostat that sends voltage to a motor on the actual throttle. (Someone tell me - is this right? Or does it have a mechanical throttle?) I've always thought my slightly 'jerky' Ridgleline is because the drive by wire isn't totally perfected.....

-Hondas have 'gear retarding' automatic transmissions. The computer 'looks' at various inputs and keeps the tranny from upshifting, which helps with braking when going down hills. I've always thought this also isn't perfected, and both my 2002 Accord V6 and my Ridgeline seem to 'drag' more than I would like when slowing down. The computer thinks I'm going down a hill when I'm just slowing down. I've felt this give worse gas milage than if it wasn't there, and I've never thought the whole thing was really needed. If Honda would just beef up the brakes a little this whole gear retarding tranny would never be needed.
  • altamontaltamont Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I drove my 06 RTS Ridgeline to LA this weekend and as soon as I reached speeds between 70 - 80 MPH rattling noise started to come from the rear of the truck located somewhere above the rear window. It sounds like loose paneling. Has anyone had this experience? I have 980 miles on the truck.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    Anybody heard about this???????????????

Yep, read the whole thread geo. He bought it damaged off of e-bay. it was obviously in a previous accident. He admits there is over spray on the frame indicating a rpair job. unfortunatly someone took advantage of him. They foisted a wrecked truck on him.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Tolbert posts it has a CLEAN carfax............
    Still waiting for him to post underbody pics.

Did you note that ScottIn, hipsi, whaleya, and mikerl'n
    also have the body flex issues?
  • m4mulveym4mulvey Posts: 11
    All doors on my RL close better than on my Mercedes.

I also had the roofracks and running boards (side steps) installed. Rack adds a slight extra noise at high speed but nothing worth complaining about and certainly no need to crank up stereo volume. I have heard that most rack noise is due to cross bars being installed backwards - you may want to check yours. I'd also make sure that the eyes at the front of each crossbar mount are turned so that the hole points down to the roof - less turbulence that way.
    which should further reduce any noise.

Dealer accessory pricing is a crap-shoot - I got widely-varying prices on every accessory.

IF they repair the dent properly there should be no consequential damage. Check carefully. I had a few minor scratches after my accessories were installed - made sure that everything was corrected.

Only problem I now have with the vehicle is that my wife and kids love it so much they want to drive it all the time.
  • m4mulveym4mulvey Posts: 11
    After having backup sensors installed, I got the same noise - Tracked it down to the back panel of the roof (plastic - has to be removed to run backup sensor cables). Dealer secured it properly and has not made any noises since.
  • The GAS WAR post is an old urban legend (i.e., NOT TRUE).
    link title
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    ...use the forums for email forwards. As pointed out, most are urban legends or just plain spam. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • frn2allfrn2all Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I got my ridgeline 24 days ago so I am not much better to compare with but I will tell you that I am gettting crappy mileage. I have been getting 10-12 MPG over a full tank.

Does anyone know how to get better mileage?

• Aloha, Thank you for your response, I appretiate your comments. I did try disabling the VSA and while the vehicle doesn't jerk forward it also doesn't respond well to accelerating after slowing down. I have to take my Ridgeline in to the dealer to replace the plastic pieces along the top of the bed and around the rear windoe because they were installed improperly and I will talk to them and see if there is some way to get the transmission to shift without hesitating. Seems a little unsetteling that I have to disengage the safety feature and manipulate the accelerator to drive, I am not real happy about that to say the least but I love the Ridgeline otherwise. I have had lots of fun in the mud and sand and have not been able to get the vehicle stuck, that's nice! Thanks again, Aloha
  • Aloha, I was getting around 17 miles per gallon when I got my truck and then the state of Hawai'i started putting ethenol in the fuel (10%) and my milage has gone down considerably. I don't know if that helps but it is just something I noticed. We are paying $ 3.20 per gallon for regular today and that hurts, espetially with decreased milage
  • Interesting, I suppose with any new model there will be some problems. I think you are correct because as I recall the mechanic told me that when I took my truck in. They hooked up the computer to the transmission and tested it twice. They told me the truck is shifting "OK". Interesting technology, hopefully they can work out the quirks. Mahalo, aloha
  • hairballhairball Posts: 4
    I've owned V8 Chevrolets for 30 years and this is my first V6. The hesitation is driving me crazy but I got the same answer at the dealership...shut off the safety system and it should help. When I do this I have noticed no real difference. I still get hesitation, especially noticable as I go around corners. My wife's V6 4runner does not have this problem. I love my Ridgeline otherwise.
  • lem888lem888 Posts: 7
    Anyone out there have a problem with a grinding noise from the ABS? I have a fairly steep driveway and when I brake at the bottom while driving forwards and downwards, I get an awful grinding noise from the left front wheel.

I've had two dealers look at it and waited 3 weeks to get a response from the regional "customer service" hack. When we (the dealer tech and I) disconnected the ABS fuse, the noise went away - along with the ABS. Their solution? Live with it.

I'm very disappointed with the quality of this Honda. I had an F-150 prior to this and never had problems like this (or any problems, for that matter), but don't write me off as one of the "buy America, dammit" rednecks that seem to be lurking out there - my wife drives an Odyssey and we're both happy with it. I want to love this truck/car/SUT/whatever it is, but dealer service is mediocre at best and the attitude that I should just live with a very loud grinding noise is arrogant.

If anyone else has had similar problems, I'd like to hear.

P.S. - I have the annoying hesitation problem as well. It is especially apparent when turning right after slowing and when you are trying to accelerate and merge - say into moving traffic.
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    Call American Honda.
    The number is (800) 999 - 1009.
    Turning off the ABS is a HORRIBLE IDEA. :surprise: Tell Honda that the dealer turned off your ABS. Call them, they will solve your car's problem.

Let us know on their response. Good luck ;)
  • whaleyawhaleya Posts: 28
    The hesitation when turning is because the transmission logic doesn't downshift properly when turning. The idea is that if you are turning you will than accelerate thus it holds the gear. The logic of looking at steering input is interesting but the computer holds the gear too long.

I see no reason why Honda can't issue an upgrade to the transmission firmware to alter the hold thresholds

On the differnt subject of body flex. TO follow up with a past post, I have looked _very_ closely at the area where the sheetmetal is slightly warped (near my gas flap) and I beleive 100% that the problem was with the stamping of the panel and not body flexing issues.
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Host,

Host or any Ridgeowners here, experiencing rattles on the front seat passenger side.On very smooth roads it can't be heard, but on roads a bit rough I can hear two kinds of rattle one low pitch rattle and one squeaking sound. Got them around 18,000 miles on my Ridgeline. It is driving me nuts.At one time after the delearship can't remedy it I almost traded it in even at a huge lost for a Civic, but backpedaled when I realized the civic is a new design and may have issues worse than my rattles when it reaches 18000 miles.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    After 18,000 miles, concerned enough to consider trading 'at a huge loss' over a rattle and a squeak when driving on roads 'a bit rough'.

And some people call me picky....

Remember, this is a truck. On a smooth road, a Ridgeline is very smooth. When I drive on not-so-smooth roads, I know I'm driving a truck.
  • maddog13maddog13 Posts: 5
    I bought my RL in May 2005, drove it for 14,000 miles through a Utah winter with no problems. Then, we got 2 weeks of rain this March and it soaked every inch of my carpet before I noticed it. Having been through the fall and winter with no problems, I figured I my truck didn't have the defect so I didn't check the carpet until I noticed a mildewy smell. The rubber floor mats, which I love, helped to hide the problem.

As it turns out, the carpet and pad were ruined, so they had to rip out the whole interior. Then, in process, they noticed some dashboard padding got wet so they ripped out the whole dash and replaced all the padding there too. It took 6 days, but I got the truck back with no smell. All because of that little drain plug in the right front wheelwell.

After getting it back, I noticed that a piece of the leather in the interior was torn and the bed was badly scratched (where they put the seats while recarpeting). The dealer repainted the bed and replaced the leather trim piece with no questions asked. Unfortunately, my truck is now famous at the dealer, and not in a good way.

I was impressed with how the dealer stood behind the product, especially since I bought it in Denver but service it in SLC. But on the other hand, they aren't too happy to see me anymore when I bring my truck in.

Unsolicited opinions:

All in all, I love the design of the truck and have no complaints about any of the mechanical features. But, as this is my first Honda ever, I am disappointed with the lack of attention to detail. My 2001 Chevy Suburban was initially problem free and had better thought-out interior features (BOTH front seats are powered, the auto temperature setting actually works quickly, etc.)

Had Honda issued a RECALL on the water leak, a lot of trucks would not have needed costly and time-consuming repairs. Mine isn't the only truck that needed new carpet this spring from the dealer I use. I shouldn't HAVE to read this board to find out what is potentially wrong with my brand new $30,000 truck, IMHO.

The moral of the story: touch the carpet under the right front floormat with a dry tissue after each rainstorm just in case. ;)
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for allowing me to follow this forum to get a heads up on any Ridgeline problems. I bought a new RTS two days ago. I was checking out all the hardware under the car and noticed a small amount of fresh oil on the bottom of my front transaxle. I'm not sure if it's an oil leak or some residual oil from the manufacturing process. Also, the number "10424" has been written on the transaxle with a black magic marker. Has anybody had any oil leak problems? Does anyone know what the numbers written on the transaxle mean? Thanks for any reply.
  • silvercoupesilvercoupe Posts: 326
    I just had to add 1 quart of oil to my new Ridgeline at 4,500 miles. Is this usual for the break-in period for this engine?

I have owned 5 Accords (all 4 cylinder) in the past and have never had to add oil between changes.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    Okay, those bent frames & body damage on the Ridgeline's were scary to read about. No less than 5 have body creasing by the C-Pillar! :cry:

Sure, 2 of them were CPO vehicles purchased used from a Honda dealer, but there's no excuse on a vehicle with only 10k on it. Can't believe the dealer told the guy to keep driving it. An independent frame shop ferified his fears. Bent frame. Was a shame he was villified by fellow owners before a resolution was posted. :sick: All the bumper VIN ID's strongly imply the vehicle hasn't been in an accident.

I'd feel better about this if the owner had towed with it or something. :(

Then again, all the aggressive "Rugged" advertising for this urban truck may come back to bite Honda. They need to proudly target the city dwellers and leave the banjo playing music out of it. :P Paul Bunyan's truck it ain't!