Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Used Vehicles Best Values

Comments

• lhylhy Posts: 48
    My Nissan tranmission was an automatic. It was leaking fluid and slipping gears.

I've heard that the tranmissions in Mazdas like the 626 were not good. They have Ford powertrains I believe.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    Specifically, it was the auto trans mazda got from Ford to put in the 4-cyl 626. The stick, V6 auto, and V6 stick were all fine.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Thanks for the info.I didn`t know about that.Next time I will email the host directly! :shades:
    Best non Japanese used cars-right now would be Hyundai/Kia.Great bang for the buck.
    The newer Hyundais/Kias-2005 and above are pretty good in reliability.Avoid the older ones.
    1 or 2 year Hyundais/Kias are a great deal if buying used--good price with 5yr/60k mile warranty intact.
    Can't say I necessarily argue.
    Although I expand my list a bit. I think the Focus and Saturns are decent for the money, too. And lets not forget the Chevy Prizm, which is a Corolla underneath (although I suppose that technically makes it a Japanese car). :)

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    Specifically, it was the auto trans mazda got from Ford to put in the 4-cyl 626. The stick, V6 auto, and V6 stick were all fine.

Wait, stop, reverse that...the auto trans was a Mazda unit, not a Ford.
    Nope. The 4-cyl auto was Ford's CD4E transmission.

I thought that the 5yr/60K bumper-to-bumper warranty was not transferrable, and that only the 10 year/100K powertrain could be transferred to another owner?

I think there many be a lot of fine print involved in the warranty details like the original owner being required to follow the recommended maintenance schedule at a Hyundai/Kia dealership--or else it voids the warranty.

Also, which particular Hyundai and Kia models are recommended?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 3,999
    It's the other way around. The 10/100 powertrain is only for the first owner. The 5/50 bumper-to-bumper is transferable.
  • With out a doubt Hyundai. With all the safety features and the warranty you can't miss.
    All late model Hyundais /Kias 2006 and above are terrific value.But the base Accent and Rio ,, I think ,do not have the ABS ,though.
    A used 06-07 Hyundai Sonata is a great bargain,, a good sized sedan,good reliability and fuel economy!!
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    GM has a 100K warranty that is transferable. And GM cars depreciate almost as quickly as Hyundais.
  • My daughter just bought a 2009 Sonata V6 and is getting 37 mpg on the highway!!!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,346
    Yes, used Hyundais can be a great value because of the horrible resale values! Just don't buy a new one unless you plan to keep it a very long time!
    What are repair and maintenance costs like on Hyundais or Kias?

Are these costs more expensive compared to other imports or domestic cars?

And are there problems finding mechanics (other than Hyundai dealerships) who know how to fix Hyundais/Kias?
  • asafonovasafonov Posts: 373
    The G20 is the Infiniti version of the Nissan Sentra.

Primera, actually - a somewhat larger FWD platform, available in Europe as a Nissan. I had both an older Sentra and and a G20 (both manual), and the drives could not have been compared (G20 much nicer.)
  • steff1steff1 Posts: 1
    I am in the process of searching for a used vehicle for my daughter. She wants something sporty. Price range of 7000-9000. We have been looking at Chrysler Sebrings (2004) any one have any advice? Thank you
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I am in the process of searching for a used vehicle for my daughter. She wants something sporty. Price range of 7000-9000. We have been looking at Chrysler Sebrings (2004) any one have any advice? Thank you

That would likely not be it.

Do you have an age range or mileage constraints? Are any features manditory? You might be interested in anti-lock brakes, stability control systems, and various air bags to help young drivers stay out of trouble and mitigate injury should it be necessary. Does it need to be a sedan? Automatic or manual? Do you have a target fuel economy in mind? Does it snow where you live?
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Used Lexus IS300.

Nothing's going to be more reliable and provide a "European" type feel that's just right for the average driver. I't's the only car in the last 5 years or more that I drove and it reminded me of the old 1990s Volvos. Tight, controlled, and a great car to drive.

The IS250 is underpowered and pricey for what it is.
    The IS350 is more of a muscle car - it doesn't have the same light on its feet feel as the older IS300.(plus is hugely expensive, even used)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=262303550
    Good example. Built to last 15-20 years, so 7-8 years old isn't a problem at all.
    She wants something sporty.... We have been looking at Chrysler Sebrings

Huh. Ummmm..... huh.

Sooo... when you say "sporty" you obviously have a very different definition than me. Can you be more specific?