Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura MDX MPG Real World Numbers

Comments

• rfcinc4rfcinc4 Posts: 1
    This is my third MDX. I first owned a 2004, then 2007, and now just purchased a 2011 in December end of last year! Gas Mileage sucked on the 2004 and I swore Id never buy another MDX, however, I needed an SUV to tow my horse trailer and was impressed with the 2007 , 5000 pound towing capacity and style. It turned out I loved my 2007 MDX and the mileage per gallon averaged 17 city and up to 23 hwy with my ac always on. It appeared they had fixed the mileage issue with the 2007 model to be efficient!
    So when it came time to trade up, I assumed Acura would have implemented the '07 mileage fix into the '11 MDX models, but I was wrong! I too have been extremely disappointed with the low miles per gallon on the 2011 Acura MDX. Like you, I first only averaged 13 city and 15 highway. I'm now at 4000 miles and am up to 15 city and 18.1 highway. I'm still holding my breath for the 23 mpg highway like I had in my '07 model! Try resetting your speedometer after filling your tank each time. I too hope things continue to improve with the rising of gas prices, otherwise, as much as I love the new MDX model, this will have been a financial mistake!
  • mnsheamnshea Posts: 10
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I only have 1,000 miles on the car now so I'm hoping to see some improvement as I add more miles. We'll see.....
  • mdxmikemdxmike Posts: 1
    Gas mileage has dropped from 18 mpg to 12 mpg over the last 2 years (70K through 95K miles). Both dealer and independent Honda/Acura shop say there is nothing wrong with the car, but ahve been willing to try to fix it by replacing fuel filters, plugs, throttle body, and intake manifold - to no avail. At one point we thought it might be transmission/differentials but the dealer eventually concluded they damaged a solenoid when replacing motor mounts. Car runs fine otherwise - no loss of power or anything. Has anyone had similar degradation in fuel economy and found a fix to the problem? :confuse:
  • Reading owner's posts are depressing. I'm considering a MDX but the lower than the EPA listed MPGs that people are stating, give me pause.
    I don't know what year you are considering buying. However, our 2006 averaged 17 mpg city/highway. We bought a 2011 MDX which now has 2,000 miles on it. Given the price of gas, we very recently asked our dealer what would happen if we used regular gas instead of the premium the manual recommends. The reply was that "you will save quite a bit of money". We are now averaging 17-19 mpg city/highway using regular gas.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Posts: 137
    came on. You don't put anything in the gas tank except gas. Those stuff are waste of money. You need to use top tier gas. I personally use chevron gas 100% of the time.
  • mj28inpamj28inpa Posts: 1
    Hey Mojo, I purchased a 2011 MDX last week after having an 09 TL for the last 2+ years (which i LOVED). I knew the MPG would be a lot lower in the MDX but man, after doing 700 miles I have had to fill up twice already at $80.00+. Have you noticed any decrease in performance, engine startup issues, anything diminished since you switched to regular? I would save about 20.00 a fill up by switching but dont want to do it at the cost of performance.

Appreciate your input.. Thanks.

MJ
    Have noticed some occassional "pinging" while accelerating. However, we are getting the same mileage as when using premium fuel.
  • jpw94jpw94 Posts: 1
    I had an '08 MDX. LOVED it! Mileage was 19 around town, about 23+ on longer trips.
    Traded for a '10 (end of lease) and man am I disappointed about the incredible drop in mileage.
    I don't see 21mpg on the EXACT same trip i was getting nearly 24mpg.
    I spoke to my service guy and he hinted this was indeed an issue they have been hearing.
    Spoke to my salesman who, of course, had a "reason" for lower mileage. Heavier car, blah blah blah.
    I didn't hear any of that when he was "selling" me the car.

Anyway, pretty disappointed in the new version. Had I known, I would have stuck with the '08.
  • recently getting less than 13 mpg city, lead footing. 20+ why.
  • mjs560mjs560 Posts: 8
    I am getting around 19 mpg with AC on. This is a combination of highway and local driving.
  • tsturbotsturbo Posts: 2
    I wonder if the recent one to roll off the line have some update? Mine just came off the rail car a month ago and with less than 1,000 miles, I averaged 21 mpg through 4 mountain passes, about 550 miles round trip.

2011 MDX Advance
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,981
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    Hi,

Haven't posted on this site in a while. 2008 MDX coming up to 4 years with around 35,000 miles. Miles per gallon is really bad. Practically no difference between highway and local driving, which for me means around 14 mpg,even on open road going around 70. Didn't realize highway had gotten that bad but then I almost never drive this car -- wife does. Any suggestions on why it might be that bad on highway?

I checked prior postings by me and at around 7.5K I think highway was round 21-23 mpg.

Thanks,

Bill
  • goomba1goomba1 Posts: 20
    I have always filled up my '08 MDX with premium and wondered about the requirement. If you're getting occasional pinging that is bad in the long run. I wonder if the valves are damaged by using 87 octane gas if that can account for some of the decreased milage being noted by some here. With 55k on the vehicle I am getting ~18mgp city and ~24mpg highway.
    Has anybody else experienced pinging with regular octane gas?
  • ab10000ab10000 Posts: 127
    Hi,
    I am considering the MDX vs Lexus RX350.
    Should I be concerned on MPG for MDX since I see many complains on this thread?
    This is a common problem with MPG or few exceptions.

Thanks
    Wish I knew what was up with mileage. Had it for fours years as of today and bought extended warranty (5yr from date of purchase or 80K miles, whichever first --- now at 37K miles) for $1330, no deductible per visit. Not thrilled with this car but it is expensive to fix and wife is not easy on car so no desire to buy new one.
    By date of purchase I mean date of purchase of the warranty -- not the MDX!
  • zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    So, I've owned my 2011 mdx for about 4 months.
    I am using high octane gas ONLY, as per dealer instructions. I am getting 14 to 15 MPG in city, open road driving I can get 20.8 staying at under 70MPH beyonf that gas efficiency drops drastically. I am driving about 1000 miles a month, so the gas efficiency factor for this car is pretty bad. This car may not be a long term keeper... :sick:
  • zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    FYI I used to own a Honda CRV 2007 AWD, base model.
    Plain and simple no HorsePower and Good on Gas 24 MPG.
    SO now with the 2011 MDX base model I make still continue to do trips from NYC to Florida Jacksonville area and the best i am getting is 20.8PMG.
    I am towing full luggage for 3 kids and 2 adults plus a all the junk for the kids.
    gas consumption is not going to get any better than 21MPG. That is the bst I have gotten, the worst has been about 14MPG city driviing.