Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    I'm from the old school and change the oil every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Dino oil can break down over time and build up acids which are harmful to the engine. Oil is cheap compared to the price of an engine replacement or trading cars.

Interesting to me that on our two 2003 Honda models, before the maintenance minder, Honda recommended oil changes at 7500 miles, or a time frame, unless driven under severe conditions. Then they suggest oil change at 3750 miles and shorter time frame.

Sever conditions were considered to be short trips, traffic, mountain driving, dusty conditions, hot conditions, cold conditions, towing, and so forth. Therefore "Normal Driving" would pretty much be considered highway driving below 70 MPH with no more load than two people in the car between temperatures of 32F and 75F. Pretty much abnormal for most drivers.

Then with the same engine and drive train they suddenly decide that going much farther/longer is OK. :confuse:

They also now include a device for recording fuel milesge that is reported to be inaccurate at best. All it has to do is keep track of the odometer and fuel flow, and doesn't do that well according to posts on this forum. ! So how can they keep track of the various driving conditions, load, and so forth with any real degree of accuracy, for something as important as the condition of the oil?

I only drive 5K-7K miles a year, but the oil gets changed every 6 months. So effectively I'm spending $30 extra every year to keep fresh oil in and fresh filters on the engine. Work is done at the local Honda dealer. $30 a year seems reasonable to me for the piece of mind.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Kip
  • sjetsjet Posts: 6
    Thanks to ALL much for reply and advice. My miles are highway driving so will keep that in mind. Just pushed my sel/reset and it showed 80% oil life. I am assuming that oil is still ok???? Still getting use to driving new Honda as well as comparing it to my previous Nissan Altima.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    Why wouldn't it be o k? Think you're putting too much thought into all this. When it gets down to 15%...just change it & the filter...end of story. They've made it incredibly easy for ya now. Enjoy your new ride!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• sjetsjet Posts: 6
    OK, that's what I wanted to know, enjoy I will. Thanks!
  • westy1westy1 Posts: 2
    I did in 3 times a solid 47.5/47.5/48 mpg. whit a 120k car. i did that on the highway at 70 mi/h. whit a 30 milles of city.

i put a 369 milles on the counter for 7.8 gallon of gaz..

sorry if my conversion is not perfect i live in canada and the tank is in liter and kilometer..

in metric consommation is 5.8 liter/100km

i did a average of 43 mpg whit the car.

incredible for a 11 years car ... the new car did not do really best than that. and a pay the car cash one payment hehe...
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,490
    Congratulations !! May you be trouble free for 400,000 miles or as long as you plan to keep it !! Getting the kind of mileage you want LONG after the payments have stopped is one reason to like situations like this !!

5.8 L/100 km is 40.55 mpg (128 oz per gal, 32 oz per qt)
  • I have 3 questions that I would love to get answers for. I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX-S and 2006 Acura TL

Questions here relate to both of my cars, but probably More importantly to the 2009 Civic:

1. Does switching to Full Synthetic oil help with the MPG, and if it does, by how much. Did anybody over here gone from the conventional to the Synthetic? what was the jump in MPG they saw?

2. Also, I understant that once I Switch from conventional to Synthetic, then there is no Going Back? (once on Synthetic oil, one has to stay with Synthetic?)

3. once on Synthetic oil, how often do you change your Oil every 7.5k miles/10K miles? not different than with the convetntional? I like to think of Oil in the car as the blood of the car.. need to have it CLEAN!

PS. I saw the Mobil1 Full synthetic for a fairly good price at CostCo... but I am not sure if that is the best Synthetic oil out there.

Thanks for any help and info!

-ChicagoGuy!
    All good questions, so let me post in between your questions in your quote.

1. Does switching to Full Synthetic oil help with the MPG, and if it does, by how much. Did anybody over here gone from the conventional to the Synthetic? what was the jump in MPG they saw?

Ans: There are a WIDE (and I mean WIDE) range of variables. The answer can be a firm yes to: an ah... maybe/ not. My experience/take is a 1 to 3 mpg range. Is it a guarantee? Absolutely NOT !!! Yes, I had plan to go over th Mobil One 0w20, 5w20 right after the 10,000 miles recommended with factory fill break in oil OCI. (for your particular applications, RTFM for your 09 Civic and 06 TL, but I think it is 0w20.5w20)

2. Also, I understant that once I Switch from conventional to Synthetic, then there is no Going Back? (once on Synthetic oil, one has to stay with Synthetic?)

ANS: No, that is not true. Indeed they are compatible with each other. You can mix and match them. My take is once you go to synthetic, why would you want to switch back under normal conditions?

3. once on Synthetic oil, how often do you change your Oil every 7.5k miles/10K miles? not different than with the convetntional? I like to think of Oil in the car as the blood of the car.. need to have it CLEAN!

ANS: I change every 20,000 miles. If I had decided to stay with conventional oil, I would change it out @ 10,000 miles. Your last sentence can be covered more in depth on the thread synthetic oil on Edmunds.com. Again like you oil is the life's blood of the car. CLEAN can be a deceptive description.

PS. I saw the Mobil1 Full synthetic for a fairly good price at CostCo... but I am not sure if that is the best Synthetic oil out there.

My take is NO. Mobil One is not THE best out there. However it has a lot of really cool attributes:
    1. It is a widely available PAO IV product. (Costco, WalMart to name 2)
    2. It is competitively priced with so called hydro cracked Group III "synthetic" products
    3. It goes on sale periodically
    4. Best bang for the buck (for my .02 cents) and I have been using various Mobil One products for over 1.2 M miles.
  • westy1westy1 Posts: 2
    yeah hope to keep it to 400 000 miles !

i have another calcul for the transfers from metric to imperial.

exemple : 591km for 35 liter

first convert de km to miles so : 591 / 1.6 = 369.375
    second, transfert liter into gallon so : 35/ 4.54 = 7.709
    after that 369.375 miles / 7.709 = 47.9 mpg

sorry if my english is not to well i speak french normaly. hope you undersatnd me.

so my old 98 civic manual cost me 3k... did 48 mpg on highway !!!!

feeeeeeel goooooood :shades:
    You are absolutely correct in the Imp gal of 48 mpg on the highway. (367.2303 miles/7.6989 imp gal= 47.70 mpg) Canada would prefer this conversion I think.

However for the US gal (128 oz per gal) the mileage is 367.2303 miles/9.246 gals= 39.72 mpg US.

All the best and keep at it !!
  • Just bought a 09 Civic EX w/auto. Using as a commute car and not experiencing very good gas mileage. Curious about: 1) break in procedures (if any) and 2) is it normal for gas mileage to be lower than optimum for first 3-5K? Many thanks!
    What kind of driving? Heavy traffic, open road, speeds

What mileage are you getting?
    Since you are talking in general terms with no specific data or operative goal, I would say concentrate on break in procedures, i.e.,acceleration revs (when fully warm) to @ least 75% of redline and don't even think about mpg optimization. for at least 5,000 to 10,000 miles or that first break in oil change (10,000 miles OCI) .
  • Thank You very much for the detailed Answers ruking1 ! ... Looks like i will be going to Synthetic oil on the first oil change.. . My 2009 Civic LX has 3000 miles on it, and i am getting 31.5 MPG in city driving over the life of the car..... Yeap... i am breaking it in.... ... Even if i push it another 1MPG higher with the Synthetic i would be happy. Hopefully i will change the oil before the Winter kicks into the full gear!

I think we all got accustomed to the gas being at $4/gal, we condider today's prices cheap. ... where in truth, gas is still expensive! even if it drops another 30cents once summer is over.

I am also itching to change the oli every 10K miles, but got to read up on what the folks are saying here... maybe "changing every 15K" would be sufficinet.

Also the dealer reccomends the first oil change at 7500 miles.

And i totally agree Mobil1 Full Synthetic may NOT be the best synthetic out there, but it is the best bang for the buck!

Thanks again for sheading the light! Truly appreciate it!

-Chicago1985Guy
    Years ago I did a commute to Des Plains, IL. The building I commuted to was so close to the (O'Hare) take off run way that you could literally see THE PLANES almost playing chicken with the building. Il So I have a seat of the pants memory of driving in the Chicago area. :blush:

All the best !
    Unless you are going to put on 7,000 miles before the winter, I'd just run the oem filled even through winter. You might want to check your owners manual to see if the wording has changed or updated, but my owners manual made a BIG deal on running the "break in" factory fill the whole interval. In my case the interval is 10,000 miles.
  • Hi,

I recently made a run from Boston up to northern NH and got way, way below (like 6 mpg) my average since buying the car, an 08 EX 5 speed. Temps during the ~150 mile trip ran from a high of 13 degrees F to a low of -6. This was an all highway trip, and I would have expected to get somewhere near my 18 month average because of that.

Does anyone know if the engine might run in open loop below a certain temperature, or make some adjustments that would cause such a huge drop? This is the first time I've run it for an extended period at those temps, and it really surprised me. I'm back to getting "normal" mileage since then.
    Some thoughts come to mind:

Tire air pressure low due to the temperature,

Pushing the car thru more dense (colder) air.

Filling at 2 different pumps.

If you have "climate control" and it was on the AUTO setting, the AC compressor would have most likely been operating.

Driving faster than normal.

Heavier load than normal.

Kip
  • ras314ras314 Posts: 43
    Also snow on hwy and headwinds will drop mileage considerably. Could be some gas had higher alcohol content.
  • Thanks kipk.

I think in hindsight, the big thing here may have been the different pumps. When I recently entered my gas slips into my spreadsheet I track with, the tank before this one was about 2 mpg better than average for this time of year, so I'd bet it wasn't a complete fillup. Beyond that, I've done the climate control "hack" to decouple the AC from the defroster, etc and it was off, and tire pressures were adjusted recently at about 20 degrees. My speed was my normal below 70, the additional load was maybe one passenger extra, and the roads were clear.

Still, it was a 20% drop below average (and my first sub 30 mpg tank in 32000 miles), and I'm wondering if there is something in the fuel injection programming that adjusts for extreme cold and would cause a big increase in fuel use.