Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,773
    In light of this A/C bru ha ha, perhaps I should add this addendum to msg #2013. The mpg figures are with A/C USE.
  • dantzdantz Posts: 49
    Hmmm, that's true. Of course, in light of this you'd think that the Civic DX (which doesn't even include an A/C unit) would get better EPA mileage than the DX-VP (which includes A/C), but there is no published difference. What did they do, drag a bunch of tin cans behind the DX to "adjust" for the lack of an A/C? The alternative explanation is that the Civic's A/C appears to have a negligible effect on the overall fuel economy.
    I always use the A/C when situations call for it. I just don't cycle it on/off, on/off anymore (reasons are in a past post). It is also a good tip to use the air recycling mode.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"Heard a radio report today that said over 40 mph, it's more efficient to run the AC than leave windows open."

Yep, if the windows cracked 2" is not cool enough, we will usually turn on the AC and deal with the mileage. On rare occasions using the ON/OFF recirculate when outside temps/sun are borderline and the ON/OFF doesn't require any more than 4-5 times per hour. But that is rare.

Real world: 300 miles at 32 mpg will consume 9.4 gallons of fuel. The same 300 miles at 34 MPG will use 8.8 gallons. At even $3 per gallon the savings at 32 mpg is $1.80. Not much of a savings to be uncomfortable for 300 miles.

With the Pilot, (25mpg vs. 27 mpg) the savings would be $2.67. Still not worth it to me! :)

Kip
  • kltronkltron Posts: 21
    > I have a scan gauge and tried many times to determine the effect of the AC on mileage. Instantaneous mileage jumps around to much to make any comparison with AC on or off.

Have you tried using the fuel flow rate display on the ScanGauge (I think it's GPH (gallons per hour)) instead of the instant MPG?

- Flat stretch of road
    - Enable cruise control
    - View the fuel flow rate display, which "should be" somewhat steady
    - Turn A/C on and see the effect

Maybe looking at the fuel flow rate instead of instant MPG for this type of experiment might help?

...kl...
    It might sound like a plan. I do not have a scan gauge, so I am just reacting to the instantaneous readings, I have in two (different) vehicles. They are almost utterly USELESS in terms of actual mpg. So for example, I wish the Z06 could actually get a instantaneous 75-95 mpg for the REAL pencil and paper (24-26)mpg !!! ;) :shades:

Understanding that even among A/C's there are subtle to massive effect differences, I was struck by the fact that NONE of the oem owners manuals I have or ever looked at even address the procedure of stabilizing the A/C, setting the fan speed to #1 and adjust cooling for maximum mpg !! On Civic's setting the air flow to recycling air. Certainly no one addresses not cycling it on an off and its effects.
  • kltronkltron Posts: 21
    The "instant MPG" display on the ScanGauge helped me learn how to drive the Civic for better mileage. It's possible that the ScanGauge refreshes its display a little more often than the display on the dashboard, so the ScanGauge might be more useful as a "learning tool", kinda like those old "fuel economy" needle gauges from the 1970s. Overall, though, I usually wind up considering the trip MPG on the ScanGauge more useful, as starting out the mpg reads next to nothing but then grows and grows :) throughout the trip, usually to 41 or 43mpg (sometimes less if the car is in a bad mood...sometimes more for the right conditions).

BTW...9999 in the ScanGauge comes up because some cars turn off the fuel injectors when coasting (especially long downhill stretches or if using the engine to slow the car down) and the tranny is turning the engine. The ScanGauge doesn't know if your car turns off the fuel injectors or not, so there's a way to "tell" it using a threshold value which will vary by model of car. 9999 basically means "fuel off" if your car has that capability. This may apply to manual transmissions only.

Anyway, I mentioned before that it's frustrating that the A/C comes on in the Civic for the defroster. I'm sure there are times when it does not need to--I hardly ever used the A/C with the defroster in my old Integra. Then in the Civic if you switch from defrost to something else, the A/C stays on until you shut off the fan and turn it back on even if the green A/C light is not on. So you could be running the A/C and not even know it!
    ..."Anyway, I mentioned before that it's frustrating that the A/C comes on in the Civic for the defroster. I'm sure there are times when it does not need to--I hardly ever used the A/C with the defroster in my old Integra. Then in the Civic if you switch from defrost to something else, the A/C stays on until you shut off the fan and turn it back on even if the green A/C light is not on. So you could be running the A/C and not even know it! "...

For me, another reason why I like the A/C controls and not the "climate-Temperature" controls. On the "climate-temperature" control, it would indeed be oxymoronic for you to hit the defroster (without A/C) and the winshield actually gets more foggy !!?? (with the resulting safety consequences?) So I think they opted to go for MANDATORY operation of the A/C in this (small) regard.
  • rtj525rtj525 Posts: 1
    Purchased new in February. After 6900 miles of mostly highway driving the MPG has worked out to 37.69. Very happy with the Civic.
  • wcooperwcooper Posts: 6
    Please bear with me as I'm new here and got a new car for the first time last week.
    I bought the 2009 Civic LX and after one week I put in a tank of gas and did plenty of highway driving. I calculated the mpg and it was barely over 20 mpg! :confuse: Yes, I could've been driving slower but I'm no speedster and I did have the A/C on a very low setting. I've heard that as the car gets used more the mpg will improve. But I wasn't expecting anything this low. Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance!
  • mjstenmjsten Posts: 17
    Might want to get used to the disappointment. Just filled up today 27.4 mpg. Highest I have ever gotten to is 34, but regular daily driving is right at 29. I recommend that you talk to your service group and get a real idea of what folks are getting, you will likely find that 30mpg on an average is expected and the high end claims are rare.
    I have 28k on a 2008 ex auto. I bought with high expectations from listening to sales associates and bloggers, and have been extremely disappointed with this aspect of the car.......
  • wcooperwcooper Posts: 6
    I apologize that my first post was wrong. The correct result was 36.8 mpg (all highway driving). Plus, I read that new vehicles will not obtain their optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. This may take 3-5 thousand miles.

Sorry for my previous post. I will check on my city driving mpg because that's where 90% of my driving is done. Thanks for your help!
  • fitisgofitisgo Posts: 40
    Is it possible the tank was not full when you thought it was - maybe the automatic shutoff at the gas pump clicked it off prematurely?

20mpg does not sound realistic, you'd have to drive the car incredibly hard (abuse it) to get that kind of fuel economy reading. 2 weeks ago I bought a new 09 Civic LX AT. So far I've filled up twice with a half-full tank and got readings of 33 and 31.5. Then I did a road trip and did a full fill-up and got 37.5 mpg.

I would try filling the tank up again and make sure it is full when you start with a full tank. Then drive it down to the halfway mark on the gauge (the indicator bar will be right next to the little fule pump image). You should get at least 200 miles on a half-tank. If you're not, there's either something mechanically wrong with the car or you are really driving it to hard.
    The survey linked in MSG # 1416 is really a good cross section that can indicate the RANGE of mpg. The ranges are also posted on one's new car sticker. As one data point, we have consistently gotten a range of 38-42 mpg over app 88,000 miles.
  • davepoddavepod Posts: 3
    for my first 5 tanks I have 31, 35, 32, 33, 30.
    About 50% highway and 50 city non stop and go.
    So far I am happy and have about 2000 miles in 5 weeks.
    Dave
  • jamie1994jamie1994 Posts: 1
    should have bought a older civic if looking for mpg, the older civics get better mpg than the new ones mine is a 1994 lx sedan with the 1.5L 5-speed and i'm getting 41.95 weekly
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Factor in the facts that the newest generation Civics are...larger, heavier, more powerful, safer, need to conform to much more strict emission standards, more comfortable and still can get over 40mpg highway (ours gets as much as 42 to 43 mpg on interstate drives per ScanGage) no one should "long" for the good old (1994 etc) Civics for any reason. Well, maybe reliability as the newest ones seem more prone to unusual (un-Honda like) troubles.
  • sjetsjet Posts: 6
    I am a new Honda owner and would like to know, on a 2009 civic honda -what's the average mileage before first oil change? I am uncertain about the maintenance minder and how it works on my car- and yes have read about it in manual.
    Thanks for any advice.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    On my '06 LX, the 1st oil change came at about 7.5k miles and the 2nd at about 16k. But I do 95% city driving which has an effect. All highway miles could've gone more miles in between swaps. That was with using dino oil. Still mulling over the switch to synthetic with the next change and if I go that direction, will probably do a 8k to 9k change interval. Still at 70% on the oil minder so I've got plenty of time to decide. My mechanic near work wants me to do the switch but my mechanic closer to home thinks it's unnecessary with my driving style. Though with synthetic, I could go for a change once a year.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I wouldn't take it past 10k miles or 1 year. Personally, my 2006 Accord (same engine family, different size - 2.4L I4) goes about 7,000 miles. I do a lot of highway, but I don't mind revving it to 6,000 when I want to or need to.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    I'm from the old school and change the oil every 5K miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Dino oil can break down over time and build up acids which are harmful to the engine. Oil is cheap compared to the price of an engine replacement or trading cars.

Interesting to me that on our two 2003 Honda models, before the maintenance minder, Honda recommended oil changes at 7500 miles, or a time frame, unless driven under severe conditions. Then they suggest oil change at 3750 miles and shorter time frame.

Sever conditions were considered to be short trips, traffic, mountain driving, dusty conditions, hot conditions, cold conditions, towing, and so forth. Therefore "Normal Driving" would pretty much be considered highway driving below 70 MPH with no more load than two people in the car between temperatures of 32F and 75F. Pretty much abnormal for most drivers.

Then with the same engine and drive train they suddenly decide that going much farther/longer is OK. :confuse:

They also now include a device for recording fuel milesge that is reported to be inaccurate at best. All it has to do is keep track of the odometer and fuel flow, and doesn't do that well according to posts on this forum. ! So how can they keep track of the various driving conditions, load, and so forth with any real degree of accuracy, for something as important as the condition of the oil?

I only drive 5K-7K miles a year, but the oil gets changed every 6 months. So effectively I'm spending $30 extra every year to keep fresh oil in and fresh filters on the engine. Work is done at the local Honda dealer. $30 a year seems reasonable to me for the piece of mind.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Kip
    Thanks to ALL much for reply and advice. My miles are highway driving so will keep that in mind. Just pushed my sel/reset and it showed 80% oil life. I am assuming that oil is still ok???? Still getting use to driving new Honda as well as comparing it to my previous Nissan Altima.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    Why wouldn't it be o k? Think you're putting too much thought into all this. When it gets down to 15%...just change it & the filter...end of story. They've made it incredibly easy for ya now. Enjoy your new ride!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

OK, that's what I wanted to know, enjoy I will. Thanks!
  • westy1westy1 Posts: 2
    I did in 3 times a solid 47.5/47.5/48 mpg. whit a 120k car. i did that on the highway at 70 mi/h. whit a 30 milles of city.

i put a 369 milles on the counter for 7.8 gallon of gaz..

sorry if my conversion is not perfect i live in canada and the tank is in liter and kilometer..

in metric consommation is 5.8 liter/100km

i did a average of 43 mpg whit the car.

incredible for a 11 years car ... the new car did not do really best than that. and a pay the car cash one payment hehe...
    Congratulations !! May you be trouble free for 400,000 miles or as long as you plan to keep it !! Getting the kind of mileage you want LONG after the payments have stopped is one reason to like situations like this !!

5.8 L/100 km is 40.55 mpg (128 oz per gal, 32 oz per qt)
  • I have 3 questions that I would love to get answers for. I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX-S and 2006 Acura TL

Questions here relate to both of my cars, but probably More importantly to the 2009 Civic:

1. Does switching to Full Synthetic oil help with the MPG, and if it does, by how much. Did anybody over here gone from the conventional to the Synthetic? what was the jump in MPG they saw?

2. Also, I understant that once I Switch from conventional to Synthetic, then there is no Going Back? (once on Synthetic oil, one has to stay with Synthetic?)

3. once on Synthetic oil, how often do you change your Oil every 7.5k miles/10K miles? not different than with the convetntional? I like to think of Oil in the car as the blood of the car.. need to have it CLEAN!

PS. I saw the Mobil1 Full synthetic for a fairly good price at CostCo... but I am not sure if that is the best Synthetic oil out there.

Thanks for any help and info!

-ChicagoGuy!
    All good questions, so let me post in between your questions in your quote.

1. Does switching to Full Synthetic oil help with the MPG, and if it does, by how much. Did anybody over here gone from the conventional to the Synthetic? what was the jump in MPG they saw?

Ans: There are a WIDE (and I mean WIDE) range of variables. The answer can be a firm yes to: an ah... maybe/ not. My experience/take is a 1 to 3 mpg range. Is it a guarantee? Absolutely NOT !!! Yes, I had plan to go over th Mobil One 0w20, 5w20 right after the 10,000 miles recommended with factory fill break in oil OCI. (for your particular applications, RTFM for your 09 Civic and 06 TL, but I think it is 0w20.5w20)

2. Also, I understant that once I Switch from conventional to Synthetic, then there is no Going Back? (once on Synthetic oil, one has to stay with Synthetic?)

ANS: No, that is not true. Indeed they are compatible with each other. You can mix and match them. My take is once you go to synthetic, why would you want to switch back under normal conditions?

3. once on Synthetic oil, how often do you change your Oil every 7.5k miles/10K miles? not different than with the convetntional? I like to think of Oil in the car as the blood of the car.. need to have it CLEAN!

ANS: I change every 20,000 miles. If I had decided to stay with conventional oil, I would change it out @ 10,000 miles. Your last sentence can be covered more in depth on the thread synthetic oil on Edmunds.com. Again like you oil is the life's blood of the car. CLEAN can be a deceptive description.

PS. I saw the Mobil1 Full synthetic for a fairly good price at CostCo... but I am not sure if that is the best Synthetic oil out there.

My take is NO. Mobil One is not THE best out there. However it has a lot of really cool attributes:
    1. It is a widely available PAO IV product. (Costco, WalMart to name 2)
    2. It is competitively priced with so called hydro cracked Group III "synthetic" products
    3. It goes on sale periodically
    4. Best bang for the buck (for my .02 cents) and I have been using various Mobil One products for over 1.2 M miles.
  • westy1westy1 Posts: 2
    yeah hope to keep it to 400 000 miles !

i have another calcul for the transfers from metric to imperial.

exemple : 591km for 35 liter

first convert de km to miles so : 591 / 1.6 = 369.375
    second, transfert liter into gallon so : 35/ 4.54 = 7.709
    after that 369.375 miles / 7.709 = 47.9 mpg

sorry if my english is not to well i speak french normaly. hope you undersatnd me.

so my old 98 civic manual cost me 3k... did 48 mpg on highway !!!!

feeeeeeel goooooood :shades:
    You are absolutely correct in the Imp gal of 48 mpg on the highway. (367.2303 miles/7.6989 imp gal= 47.70 mpg) Canada would prefer this conversion I think.

However for the US gal (128 oz per gal) the mileage is 367.2303 miles/9.246 gals= 39.72 mpg US.

All the best and keep at it !!