Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Real World MPG

1646566676870»

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Well, over a 3 week/700 mile period I averaged 38.2 mpg combined. That's probably averaging 68-70 mph hwy.

The 2%"other" by the way is going up 6 floors at my works parking garage every day. :P
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    Great decision my son has the Civic and we looked at the other cars, MPG on the Civic is awesome vs the cost of the Prius don't listen to those two idiots because if you go on other Honda threads you will see there so called expert opinions about Accords and CRV's they are obsessed with reading about cars than ever working on them, they must be MIT grads.
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Posts: 31
    I don't know how reliable or accurate the readout is but I just did 53MPG! It was a 40 mile romp through the mountains at 45mph. I couldn't believe my eyes so took a photo of it. Also saw a dead deer in the road, same road where I had passed a few mins earlier. No, didn't take a photo, too morbid. Poor Bambi!
    Last month averaged 39.1 mpg combined.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    Guess the newer models do so much better. Mine's an '06 and am lucky to get 33 on the highway and 30 in the city. I like the look of the '09 to '11 model and the better color choice but am just gonna keep my '06 for 10 years at least even though I would like something newer...makes no sense to get rid of right now. The '12 and '13 models do nothing for me and are no longer the benchmark in it's class. I still love mine and plan on keeping it for the forseeable future.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• so what is the benchmark in its class?
    You probably have a lot more pep in your 2006 than I have in my 2012. Not sure if same engine, but my 2012 seems as if it is tuned / built to optimise mpg. Torque and horsepower fall into the "adequate" catergory.

Yeah, must admit my 2012 does not do a lot for me. May turn in when lease up. But, it's great for what I bought it for...MPG and reliability.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,640
    Right now, I think it is the Hyundai Elantra as I think it gives the best bang for the buck in every category...and I get to try most brands and models of vehicles at my current job. That's just my opinion...yours may be different which is o k to. We can always agree to disagree!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited September 2013
    Averaged a whooping 51 mpg highway during 30 mile roundtrip to pick my son up from school. It was 54mpg going to... and 48mpg coming back. Cruised at 55mph, 60mph and 65mph with the a/c on. About 91 degrees outside, fairly humid... Not sure of barometric pressure. I did accelerate until I got to cruising speed when merging onto interstate, before I set instant mpg monitor. Those are hybrid numbers for a non hybrid car... anybody jealous? ;-)
  • thwipp89thwipp89 Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    i'd say the bulk of my typical driving is 65-70% city and i drive with a very heavy foot, which i know kills my mpg. i usually average about 30-32 mpg. slightly worse in the winter (i'm in chicago), as some seem to report.

i hadn't done a longer road trip in awhile but recently did 2 roadtrips- one was 80 miles, the other was 200 miles and i averaged 39.0 and 39.5 mpg and that was with using the A/C much of the time. i was pleasantly surprised but a lot of that was with cruise control, so my heavy foot wasn't in play as much. i didn't think that was too shabby with a car that's 10 yrs old with well over 100k miles.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    " I did accelerate until I got to cruising speed when merging onto interstate, before I set instant mpg monitor. Those are hybrid numbers for a non hybrid car... anybody jealous? "

Not really, my 2008 Escape will return maybe 45 MPG under those circumstances, depending on speed. The battery enhances the hybrid performance when accelerating or in the city; if one simply hits the reset on the guages at speed, it all comes down to the size of the engine and the speed (plus a bit for the cD, which is much larger on my SUV).