Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Real World MPG

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
This topic is for Pilot owners to report their actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• gprodickgprodick Posts: 36
    This message board is a glut of topics.I think there are about 40. It's a mess! Why would you want to had yet another one? Instead of adding topics, you ought to eliminate about 80% of the existing topics and get it down to a manageable level.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    I'm not sure what page you're looking at, but there are only seven discussions on the Honda Pilot Owners Club page.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• skyking1skyking1 Posts: 2
    We have an '05 EX-L. We have just reached the 7500 mile service, and I have noticed a change in the mileage. Initially, 17~18 in a mix of country commuting with some stop and go. Now that is more like 20. Took a road trip this weekend, had some really bad holiday traffic on the freeways. Stop and go, fast and slow. First tank was 22. The conditions improved, and got 23 doing some 60~65 on cruise mixed with some 75+ and climbing two passes. Overall, I am satisfied that it gets similar mileage to EPA, and could beat it with conservative driving.
  • 6buck6buck Posts: 4
    I have about 20K miles on my '04 that I got the end of last September. I get between 19 and 21 consistently. I just got a tow package added and I'm interested to see what the trailer does to the mileage, I know it won't be good. I just switched to premium fuel, on the recommendation of the manual related to towing. I'll see what that does to mileage without the trailer too.
  • shodanusmcshodanusmc Posts: 14
    03 Pilot, 30K, 14-20
  • cyniccynic Posts: 57
    05 Pilot, 9k, 17-19
  • klangerklanger Posts: 7
    We have a 2005 Pilot EX. Only 1400 miles right now, and getting 17-18 MPG with about 50% highway driving. Hoping to get EPA mileage eventually.
  • meyervillameyervilla Posts: 40
    Does anyone know when Honda will modify their V6 to run on E85? What about a Pilot Hybrid?
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    You will be pleasantly surprised to get close to EPA numbers after 5000 miles.
    We initially got 15 city and 21 highway when new. Now it is 17 city and 22 highway. This SUV is one of the few that gets close to what it says.
    Use to own a 2001 Ford Escape 4WD V6 that only got 14 city and 22 highway and it was suppose to get 18/23 . And that Escape weighed 800 pounds less.
  • tcp27705tcp27705 Posts: 14
    I have a 2005 EX-L that we got in December. It has 8000 miles on it now. I get 16-17 MPG city, 20-22 MPG highway.
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    My 2005 Pilot has 5500 miles. I get 17-19 in mixed driving, haven't done any straight highway yet.

I also own a 2002 Tribute V6, which gets about EPA numbers. 18-19 mixed driving, 22-24 straight highway.
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    The Pilot mix driving I can get 17-18, the straightway , I got anywhere from 23 mpg on an easy 500 mile drive at 70 mph, however a 75-80 mph desert run only got me 20 mpg highway. I use to own a 2001 Ford Escape V6 4wd, that thing only got 14-15 mix driving and 22 highway, to sum it up the Pilot has excellent mpg numbers for a midsize SUV, we took it to the mall today for shopping, and it was excellent, entirely in its intended purpose a Station Wagon, or shall we say a Cross-over. Definetely not an SUV.
  • sportymonksportymonk Posts: 258
    Filled up first time at 255 miles.
    Next 1250 miles were almost pure interstate at 70 to 75 mph as we left on vacation with 300 miles on the odometer (Not the original plan but thats the way things worked out). tire pressure was 33.5 - 34. I keep it a pound of so higher so that if I loose a little air over the course of time, I wouldn't be underinflated.

@ 578 miles = 21.62 mpg

@ 937 = 20.93 mpg (Dropped here as lead foot Bodine, whoops, excuse me, my lovely wife who keeps flow with the traffic was driving.)

@ 1292 = 21.44 mpg

@ 1525 = 23.28 Through with vacation(?)

@ 1843 = 19.28 Some city and some hwy

@ 2150 = 19.28. Same

The problem with measuring city driving is that other than the EPA defined city driving, it is too variable. Different lights (especially sensored ones) have different intervals of green and red. Traffic at 5:30 in downtown Atlanta is dramatically different from traffic at 20:30 AM even though it is the same route.
  • Just took a quick trip and measured MPG first time.

185 mile trip, 40 miles of interstate and the rest twisty mountain driving (the kind you brake, accelerate, up, down round and round).

20.5! I thought that was great all things considered.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    anyone have numbers to share while towing?
    don't forget to say how much you are towing.

thx
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 134
    I just drove yesterday 360 miles, almost all highway. I got 21.5 mpg.

2005 EX-L.

I was hoping for a bit better.
  • Noted MPG for the first time ...the Pilot is new with only 600 miles on it right now.

Got 17 mpg - all of it suburban driving with many small trips of 10-20 miles each.

Does the mpg increase after the "newness" wears off?
  • Many will say that it will get better. My Pilots MPG did not increase at all statistically. I am now getting an average of about 16
  • jim70jim70 Posts: 27
    lovepos1234,

I was curious. Is that a pretty even mix of highway and city? And how many miles do you have on it now?

Thanks
  • I have 31,000 miles on it. Yes, its pretty much an even mix, but in the Chicago land area, even highway miles is often stop and go. I get about 20 mpg when I am moving at 70-75. Now I have noticed when I am in a rural area where there is not that 10% Ethynol mixture or Oxygenaged gas, my mileage is 1-2 mpg better. I used a Durablend oil, and change it every 3 months. I do not hot rod it. I also realize it is a fairly large SUV, but for the mileage I get, I would rather have a larger engine and more pep.