Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Real World MPG

Comments

• trmend1trmend1 Posts: 59
    Bottom line – we’re stuck with these POS’s. I am going to talk with the GM of the dealership and see what I can do to get out my lease or change to something else. Never thought I’d say it, but I’d even consider a mini-van over this pilot. Now I have 2500 miles, still getting less than 15MPG, and the shifting feels like Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. I have do deal with this for another 33 months? No thank you!!! I feel sorry for those of you that purchased. Spacedog

I am sorry that the Pilot doesn't work for you. However we don't need your sympathy. I took a long time to research a vehicle that would work for me and all the parameters that I had, the Pilot was the best choice for my present life situation. Yes, the fuel ecomony is not the best, but I KNOW an Insight or an Oddessy is not going to haul 3 growing boys, and their friends, and their sports gear and camping/ski trips on a logging road with some light toy towing (the need for 4WD and ground clearance) and of course the Costco runs to feed these ventures. I did look into Yukons, and Envoys, and Hilanders, and Explorers but they either didn't have the seating/cargo capacity and/or the fuel ecomony was even worse. My 07 4WD EXL is now a little over 6000 miles and its taken me a bit to readjust my driving style and my fuel ecomony can range from 14-16 mpg for strict city driving (all under 40 mph) and 19 - 22 mpg for highway (depending if I am towing or not). As for shift points... I was concerned as well in the beginning. My Pilot would shift at 33 -35 rpms constantly and it was a tad jarring... now with a better foot and 6000 miles later I usually shift at 25 rpms and it is smooth. Talking to my Honda techs (I have known 2 for a bazillion years, one being my bro) the acceptable and typical range is 27 - 33 rpms. This is not to say that each and every Pilot will do this each and everytime. I know my cold engine in winter tachs high even when I only use my pinkie toe on the accelerator... and it takes at least 5 - 10 minutes for the engine to settle down on cold mornings. Is this a design flaw... perhaps. But for me... right now, the Pilot is my best option. Talk to me in 15 years and I will have an S2000... just enough room for me, my caddy and my clubs in the trunk! By then fuel economy should be in the 100's!!

I hope you can work out a deal where you can switch your lease. I can understand how having the right vehicle is very important. Perhaps a CRV or an Oddessy would work better. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Tess
  • carabelcarabel Posts: 43
    My MPG is 14-16 and it is what it is. My main concern is the steering wheel vibration which they say is normal. The tires have been balanced to death so the vibration is supposedly a characteristic of the Pilot - as per dealer. I didn't accept that answer so I'm being scheduled with the district service manager. If the DSM says it's normal, where do I go from there ? I don't think it's normal. None of my previous cars had the problem and none of them had the VCM feature. So I think it's VCM related. And yes, I also have the shifting that you described.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >"Now I have 2500 miles, still getting less than 15MPG, and the shifting feels like Mr Toad’s Wild Ride."

Is the shifting issue only that it shifts at higher RPM? Or is it also harsh.

When did the "Mr Toad’s Wild Ride" shifting begin?

Kip
  • I have sent a letter to Honda about the transmission shifting, haven't heard anything yet. I only have the shifting problem on light acceleration. When I drive like everyone else (want to be the first one down the road) the Pilot is awesome, love that V-Tec. I still think my transmission will settle down with a few more miles and the motor will loosen up, too. Our 2004 Odyssey did.

Joe
  • geepers1geepers1 Posts: 1
    Re: The wheel vibrations. I was getting this on my Toyota Sienna. I went to a tire shop and the guy told me they probably needed "harmonizing". I thought it was a scam and said to just do the front two. $50 later...worth every penny.
  • carabelcarabel Posts: 43
    Thanks Geepers. I traded a Sienna for the Pilot - lease end. The Sienna's ride was smooth as can be. And so was my Rav4 and Camry. 15 years of the Toyota brand with absolutely no problem. 2 months of the Pilot and the steering vibration is annoying as hell. Without it, the Pilot is a great drive. That harmonizing thing sounds like tire balancing which the dealer swore they did and checked over and over. Thanks, I'll keep all posted.
  • nlv1nlv1 Posts: 28
    After 323.6 miles, we had our 1st fill-up today of 18.25 gallons w/c translates to about 17.73 mpg. Driving was about 40% hwy, 60% short trips with gentle acceleration from stops. Terrain is flat (Houston, TX). Noticed that shifting at the lower gears usually occur around 2500 rpm. Right now, the Pilot is slightly used and is sometimes driven only on weekends (bought it in mid-Feb). Hope to have better mileage as my wife (it's her car) begins to drive it regularly to work using the freeway. This is the first time that I've paid $60 for a fill-up :cry:
  • I have a '03 Pilot and pulling a 2500 lb. boat plus the trailer dropped my milage almost in HALF!!! The engine is NOT a low torque one, so you'll be reving up the engine on any fairly steep climbs!!
    What type terrain and traffic and speed and actual MPG when you tow the boat?

I ask that because my next door neighbor's Ridgeline gets about 14 MPG towing his collapsible 3200+# camper at 65 mph. On rolling hills Georgia roads. Seems the camper would be considerably more "Drag" than your boat. :)

Kip
    >"Traffic at 5:30 in downtown Atlanta is dramatically different from traffic at 20:30 AM even though it is the same route."

Been there and done that. :cry:

When I retired, I pledged to myself I would not drive on any surface streets inside 285 ever again. With the exception of going to the Airport.
    And would not go through on 75 / 85 between the hours of 7am and 9am or 4:00pm-6:30pm.

Kip
  • jpb7190jpb7190 Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 LX Pilot that has averaged over 25-26mpg on highways since I bought it. See my earlier posts. I am leaving Denver tomorrow and will be travelling almost 5000 miles in two weeks! I am hoping for the best and I will keep detailed records and report back to the Forum when I return.
  • American Honda replied to my letter with a voice mail today from their customer relations office. Honda Tech Center can not do anything for me since there are no troubles indicated by the dealership. Basically she said, sorry we didn't answer your questions and can't help you any further, but our engineering dept doesn't speak to the general public, please contact your dealer for further questions. :(

Joe
  • parvizparviz Posts: 484
    The owner's manual says if you are not happy with how Honda handles your concern try the BBB on line. That may be an option to explore.
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    22.83mpg (previous best was 21.72mpg)

2007 EXL 4WD

college road trip from NY to MD to DE - 375 miles, mostly highway @70mph, but some stop and go traffic on the highway and some short local trips in MD and DE

overall mpg is now 17.66 after 1.5 years and 20,000 miles
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    NOT all tire & wheel balancing machines are the same. Some are good but some are BEST. The Hunter Balancing machine can fix certain kind of vibrations that the others can't.

For more info & demo : http://www.gsp9700.com/

Locate the tire shop has this machine and try it. The $50 price can save nightmare.
    David - 17 MPG is the Combined Fuel Economy so you're right on par.
    17 MPG is the Combined Fuel Economy so you're right on par.

My Pilot was rated @ 17/22 mpg. So combined fuel economy would be 19.5 mpg, not 17 mpg
    . :confuse:
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    If I am not mistaken, you are quoting miles of 2WD (17/22). 4WD was ranked 15/20 for 2007/2008 model.
    Would it be caused by the
    Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System
    This system consists of an electronic position sensor connected to the accelerator pedal that sends a signal to the vehicle's electronic control unit (ECU). The ECU combines the accelerator-position signal from the driver with data such as engine rpm, coolant temperature and road speed, and then determines the optimum position for the throttle plate. It then sends a signal to the DBW driver unit that electronically operates a stepper motor on the throttle body. The stepper motor opens and closes the throttle to the exact position necessary for proper engine response.
    Nope. Mine is a 2007 EXL 4WD, and its window sticker (which I still have) says 17/22. The new Pilot is rated @ 15/20 (ouch), which I consider to be more accurate.