Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Does anyone have a 4 cyl and V6 Camry from the same generation? Wondering the gas mileage difference, in particular highway, of the 4 vs the 6. Given the variation among different drivers with the same engine, I think the only valid comparison would be from the same driver. I would be particular interested in a comparison to the 3.3 liter V6 in the 2004-2006 SE.
  • I bought my car 8 months ago and haven't been able to get better than12.8 to 13.8 mpg.Dealer says there is nothing wrong with it ,cause Computer shows no Codes.I think it has a Variable Transmission(they suggested High Octane Gas).Any help will be greatly appreciated !!!!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Can you tell us what model you have? (4cyl LE, SE, XLE, or Hybrid). You indicate a 4 cylinder with a Variable Transmisionn, which would indicate that you have a Hybrid model.

It would be helpful to know what kind of typical driving you do (e.g. 50% stop and go city mileage, 50% highway mileage @ 55-60 mph, etc.). When you drive each day, does the engine get up to normal operating temperature? How would you classify your personal driving style (agressive, typical, conservative).

Who has suggested high octane gasoline, that is not correct for the 4 cylinder engine, you just want regular as specified in the owners manual.

That mileage is low, and would be extremely low if you have a Hybrid as indicated by the Variable Transmission.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Your MPG is your route. Give us a typical driving day with starts and stops. Thanks
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Interesting arguments i have been quietly reading. The only way there could be a +1 to -3 ga. error, is if the persone stopped pumping the instant the automatic shut off triggered. If the person tops it off, then there is no error as long as he or she continually tops it off, enough said. I purchased an 03 camry last week, mint condition, only 38,000 miles. I got lucky..... anyway, i did a lil freeway traveling, 74.7 miles to be exact. Re- topped it back off, Oh...btw, i did about 10 miles of that 74.7 in straight city. Filled it up ...exactly 2 ga. on the nose....37 MPG, not bad considering i hear alot of readers complain they get 28 30..etc..Its all how you drive. MY father in law goes from Orange County..to phx to see his son.. 6 mo old Avalon, Always between 33&34mpg, straight freeway...78 mph...
    Last week i took a trip form Orange County to Los Angeles....went 65mph ..cruise control all the way, recieved 33.6 in my 3.3 litre v6 SIenna minivan.. If i can do that in a minivan, the rest of you with 4 cyl toyotas have no excuse other than heavy foot...or city driving not to get better mpg..
    Each week i travel from o.c. to Phx, I'll keep you posted each week with the 400mile trip with my new 03 4 cyl camry.. and ill even sacrifice...lol, i'll try it at 4 diff speeds, instead of the 80 i currently do ... Will report soon, later Cazz
  • keislkeisl Posts: 16
    2007 4cyl Camry

I know I've tried to tell Toyota there was a problem with my car, but they won't even look at it, because the maintenance light isn't on. I've been asking about it since about June of 06 (I got the car in March of 06). It drives me crazy. When I keep it between 66-74, I've never done better than 28.5MPG on the highway. Driving in town REALLY stinks. I have moved into a tiny town (Under 5 miles to just about anything - more like 2-3) and I get about 16MPG on a good tank of gas (I had one that was about 12MPG - and was seeing red)! I let the car sit for about 30 seconds before driving (as Toyota told me to do), I try to watch my starts and stops and turns. I'm very frustrated by it. That was why I made my first posts to this website, hoping for any help or something from someone else saying they were experiencing the same thing - but all I've heard is rudeness, disbelief, and condemnation - so I only check in ever 4-6 months to see if there is anything new.

If you have any idea what I can get the dealer to look at the car deeper than the dashboard, let me know, because this just can't be right.

Thanks for any constructive ideas - otherwise I don't really want to hear how I must be lying or don't know what I'm doing. ;)
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    If you have a lot of short drives with a cold engine you can get really low mileage. The 28 at 66-74 seems within the normal range to me. Try to link all your errands so that you are driving with a warm engine more often.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Have you taken the car to a different dealer for another opinion. I agree, possibly something is not exactly right.....good luck.
    Let us know about that 400 mile trip. I don't think anyone would consider a 75 mile trip an accurate measure of mileage. Being off by only .2 gal would change your mileage by 10%.
  • Thanks for any constructive ideas - otherwise I don't really want to hear how I must be lying or don't know what I'm doing.

Another poster asked for a few more specifics, which doesn't strike me as thinking you are lying, but sounds helpful.

You have to understand, quite a few of us have owned more than one or two of these things and in geneal they seem to return excellent mileage.

Your mileage is so diametrically opposed to our experience we just can't figure out how to attack the problem.

My first instinct is to rule the driver out as the problem, because he/she is the guy/gal who can effect performance the most. For example, do you drive with both feet in an automatic or just one? This might seem like a crazy question to anyone who was taught to drive automatic with one foot, but my experience is that WAY too many people are resting their left foot on the brake pedal when they drive their automatics. To two footed slushbox drivers, its normal, but to the rest of it, it raises the possibility of the brakes always being activated. Talk about a sure fire way to shoot your gas mileage in the butt!

Any chance you could loan your car to someone for a trip and see how they do? Assuming the driver isn't the issue, I think there is something physically wrong with your car. I don't know where to start, but if it were me I'd change every filter and fluid, have the brakes checked to make sure they aren't wearing out prematurely because of a mechanical issue which always keeps them on, I'd put the thing up on stands and spin the wheels to make sure there is no anomalies in resistance to free wheeling, heck, nearly everything I could check myself.

That kind of mileage isn't the norm, but without someone qualified troubleshooting it for you, you are a bit out of luck.
  • phd86phd86 Posts: 110
    Felicitations:

Not so happy holidays, if you are a camry owner and really tracking your mileage, is it? Mileage isn't like what is stated on the sticker, or what you read in a few isolated posts on this website? Join the party.

I haven't read your previous posts; but I bet you've read mine. I would be impressed with a 2007 camry that got 28.5 mpg as an average; but that's your maximum, right? Based on multiple road-tests of this model and year, I would say you should get around 24-25 on normal freeway driving. You might do a little better (and you did) on long trips.

16 mpg in city? Yup. That could be right, too. I've done that low, in 100% city driving - - - and I'm not talking about 2-3 mile trips; just plain city driving with the car warmed up.

I can say that, unlike you, I did get Toyota to look at my 2004, which also averaged under 20 for city, and certainly not more than 28 for freeway, although usually less.

They did look at it and perform some engine tests - a whole day - and comp-ed me one day of rental. But that sure as heck wasn't the dealership that sold me the car. Although Toyota intervened and paid for the tests then, I think they know, by now, that the car doesn't do any better than what you (and I) are getting for MPG.

I will continue to check this website, but so far, just as you can't squeeze blood out of a stone, you can't squeeze 30 mpg out of a camry.

Happy New Year.
  • I will continue to check this website, but so far, just as you can't squeeze blood out of a stone, you can't squeeze 30 mpg out of a camry.

The impossible dream!!

Lets not be too categorical though..you need to add the caveat, "except for those who have been doing it in 2 different centuries now, 4 cylinder or 6, auto or stick, loaded and unloaded, spanning the last 4 generations of Camry."

:)

When you use the word "can't" when a majority who post here "can", it strikes me as being just a little too definitive without the above mentioned caveat.
  • keislkeisl Posts: 16
    LOL - You reminded me of the first time (only one I know of) that I got into the car with a two footed driver.... I jumped out and refused to drive with them! So, no... I am no a two footed driver! I have gotten much better gas mileage - in other cars - and I know when I'm being a bit lead footed, and expect to get lower mileage on those occasions, but it's usually only 1-2 MPG difference anyway. Under the same driving conditions I get different MPG's with every fill-up.

I do not currently drive in any traffic - but all my trips are very short now. I can go check the mail (PO Box) get a cup of coffee (my fix) pick up work at a client, hmmmm, maybe a trip to the grocery store, go home and not have put 8 miles on my car. Every two months (or so) I take a 240 mile trip, then drive in the traffic of LA and Orange County (CA) for a few days, and return home. I fill up at the end of the 240 miles, and usually get between 24 and 26 MPG, but I'm usually driving about 80 in the middle of nowhere.

My Corolla used to get over 35-38 MPG on the same trip doing about 85-90. I know I now have a bigger car, but I've slowed down some, and I was hoping a newer car would get closer gas mileage. I have tried driving 70, turning off the AC (even when it's over 100 outside), not stopping, but there really is no noticeable improvement in the gas mileage (usually less than 1-2 MPG), that's pretty much when I've hit 28MPG, although, I have hit that driving 80 with the AC on, so I'm confused.

I think I'm just kinda stuck, unless I can convince someone to really look it over - which means I'm just plain stuck. I don't have anyone to look at it, and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away (and the one I bought the car from is 240 miles away).

Thank you for considering my plight.
  • eroc69eroc69 Posts: 56
    I returned from a long trip to Long Island from the Pittsburgh area.
    ON the way there overnight, we {me} averaged about 75-80 and figured out about 27-28mpg. Not bad for a high speed trip loaded with family and luggage.
    Around town wife drives it and gets about 25, maybe 26 mpg.
    Not bad for a V-6.
    Thats about the only good thing about this :lemon: of mine
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    I haven't updated everyone in a while, so here's the latest:

07 CE manual transmission, I have tracked the last 7 fill-ups in a row, all but one at the exact same pump, never topping off. This eliminates any major filling "errors", because you would see a major variation one way or another if there were any of these filling issues.

31.17, 30.51, 29.47, 33.22, 30.29, 31.86, 29.82. Very consistent, and I am more than satisfied. The highest (33.22) was on a long trip (451.2 miles, 13.58 gallons). This was on level terrain, 71 mph almost all highway (all but 17 miles), no high winds.
  • I think I'm just kinda stuck, unless I can convince someone to really look it over - which means I'm just plain stuck. I don't have anyone to look at it, and the nearest dealer is 75 miles away (and the one I bought the car from is 240 miles away).

Thank you for considering my plight.

I feel really bad for you....you are hitting one of the most difficult circumstances there is in auto repair. A "gee everything works right but not really..." kinda thing which mechanics just blow off the instant they figure out this is what you are telling them. If there isn't a squeaky noise, black residue all over your bumper, wobbly wheels, lights shining on the dashboard, they just zone out and figure you are crazy.

It sounds like your mileage for the Corolla is right in the ballpark for a regular driver, and your Camry shouldn't be too far behind.

Just for fun, what HAVE you checked out? Anything? I can envision a scenario where the fuel mapping is off, so the car is basically running rich all the time, I've done this before with motorcycles where I installed custom fuel maps. Have you gotten the software upgrade for the Camrys hesitation problem?
  • 07 CE manual transmission, 31.17, 30.51, 29.47, 33.22, 30.29, 31.86, 29.82. Very consistent, and I am more than satisfied. The highest (33.22) was on a long trip (451.2 miles, 13.58 gallons). This was on level terrain, 71 mph almost all highway (all but 17 miles), no high wind.

My last tank was 31.5, approx 50/50. Then before the snows arrived I washed it, put it in the garage and covered it for the winter. She's down till spring.

The shifting has smoothed out a little since new, tires are wearing well, the seat is as comfortable as anything I've ever traveled in, I'm pretty happy with it so far.
    As per my last post, i mentioned i just purchased a very clean 03 LE camry, Auto, I4 with just 38 k miles. I also said i drive from So Cal. to Phx weekly. #1 report...424miles 12.8 Ga. = 33.1 mpg. This was at 75 mph cruise control all the way. Tempuratures approx 50 degrees, no wind per say. I will do it next time @ 70 mph and report on Monday 1-7-08

P.S. I ALways top off, leaving the gas visible sitting on the lip. So my fill ups are exremely accurate.

Ciao Caaz
  • As per my last post, i mentioned i just purchased a very clean 03 LE camry, Auto, I4 with just 38 k miles. I also said i drive from So Cal. to Phx weekly. #1 report...424miles 12.8 Ga. = 33.1 mpg.

Ciao!! You have accomplished the IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Well...not really....

Anyway, sounds pretty reasonable to me. There are quite a few people reporting similar mileage, similar speeds, etc etc. Try running the trip sometime at about 60-65 mph, yeah, it'll take a little longer but I'm curious to see if others can get a consistent 35mpg with just a wee bit of slowing down.

An honest 35mpg is the best I've ever been able to get out of any of my Camry's, although I haven't tried this particular routine with my manual 07 yet.

I have a tough time running a tank through it at 60-65mph though, out west its just too darn easy to run 75-90mph. Which must cost a couple MPG, at least.
  • phd86phd86 Posts: 110
    I don't put any stock in single tankful measures on medium length trips, where the driver is filling up 12.8 gallons, there is all sorts of fillup error, although this accuracy claim based on gas on a lip is a new one. Put together 5-10 consecutive tankfuls and odometer readings, and then post the results.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Yes, see my post 570 for an example. I am very satisfied with my MPG. Best out of the last seven tanks was 33.22, worst 29.47. If the weather was warmer, it would be a little higher.
    I have read 2 or 3 different tests (C&D, CR, etc.) that indicated about a 5 mpg increase for each 10 mph decrease. IOW, if you slow down from 75 to 65 you should see about a 5 mpg increase in mileage. Haven't tested it out myself but it sounds reasonable.
  • dremdrem Posts: 24
    I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics. I made only one test run at a (slowwwww) 60mph in my 99, but it yielded 44mpg. All runs were ~99% cruise control.

Regards,

Drem
  • I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics.

It appears we have now broached impossible and moved straight into alien abduction, Bermuda Triangle and Fantasy Island country!!

40mpg?! Got me beat....but I have hopes. I'm tempted to try a trip from Denver to Deadhorse Alaska, which should give me lots of slower, 45-65mph type driving, if I ever have a chance of driving slow enough to get to 40mpg, that would be my chance.
  • Filling your tank until it pools on the top of the filler neck is not new to me. In fact, that's how I fill up my 07 Camry LE all the time. Doing it this way ensures that there is no error when calculating true MPG for that tank. If you just let the pump cycle off by itself, there is no guarantee that it shut off at the same fuel level every time. This is especially true from pump to pump. By filling up the entire filler neck until it pools at the top, you are ensuring that the tank is filled to the exact level at every fill up.
    This is the way I do it. Pump until it shuts off automatically, then pull the nozzle out of the filler neck. Rest the end of the pump on the end of the filler neck, so that you can see the entire hole where the fuel goes. Kind of aim the pump at the hole and squeeze slowly until you get a slow steady stream of fuel. Now just hold it there until the fuel comes out of the hole and rests on the filler neck. You will have to do this a few times because the fuel will build up in the filler neck. So, fill up until it reaches the top and stop pumping, wait for the fuel to settle and begin pumping slowly again. Eventually the fuel will reach the top and actually pool in the filler neck.
    Some fuel pumps actually suck for doing this so, try to find a good pump and use that one often. My favorite is at Sam's Club and they keep everything pretty clean too. Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime. Just divide miles driven by gallons needed to fill. My last fill up was 25.8 mpg. Not too bad considering I do alot of short trips and city driving. Good luck. Find a good pump and be careful.
  • Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime.

Don't some vehicles though use more of an internal bladder containing the fuel nowadays rather than just a regular steel tank? I've got a hybrid which some people have suggested has a "variable" fill up point, depending on the temperature of the bladder, how long its been empty ( makes it contract, and therefore harder to fill ), stuff like that. Which mens even if you fill the neck to the same spot, you aren't necessarily getting the "usual" amount of fuel in, depending on other conditions.
    Aren't you at risk of getting gas into the vapor recovery system (and thus damaging it) by filling right up to the top of the spout?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I think there is some truth in that, and I wouldn't take the risk in the first place of having gas spill on me and down the side of the car. Not fun.

If you just try to be consistent each time (especially if you use the same pump where possible), the average over several tankfuls will be accurate enough.
  • Bought an '07 Camry LE V-6 in July 2007. I have recorded gas quantity on fillups for many years, so is not a new issue for me. I drive ~ 80 miles roundtrip to work each day so large percentage of miles are highway at 65 MPH. To date, with 10,015 miles I have used 326.6 gallons for an average of 30.66 MPG.
    I fill up this way and have for years. I've never had a problem. Sometimes i'll find a pump that is really stiff...so its hard to fill up, but usually i go to the same station which has an easy flowing handle. Anyway, trip # 2..... 405 miles 11.5 gas. 35.2 Mpg ..70 mph all the way...cruise control as always, Phoenix to So Cal, it did rain a bit which i think caused a lil less mpg than i would have normally recieved, also about a 20 mph head wind. So so far

Trip 1 424 miles 12.8 gas = 33.1 @ 75 mph cruise all the way
    trip 2 405 miles 11.5 ga. = 35.2 @ 70 mph cruise all the way ( with rain & head wind)

Ill report thurs going back to Phx...

thx caaz