Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Yes, see my post 570 for an example. I am very satisfied with my MPG. Best out of the last seven tanks was 33.22, worst 29.47. If the weather was warmer, it would be a little higher.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I have read 2 or 3 different tests (C&D, CR, etc.) that indicated about a 5 mpg increase for each 10 mph decrease. IOW, if you slow down from 75 to 65 you should see about a 5 mpg increase in mileage. Haven't tested it out myself but it sounds reasonable.
  • dremdrem Posts: 24
    I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics. I made only one test run at a (slowwwww) 60mph in my 99, but it yielded 44mpg. All runs were ~99% cruise control.

Regards,

Drem
  • I get a tight average of 36mpg at an indicated 72 and tight average of 40mpg at an indicated 66mph. That applies to both my 99 and 04 4 cyl automatics.

It appears we have now broached impossible and moved straight into alien abduction, Bermuda Triangle and Fantasy Island country!!

40mpg?! Got me beat....but I have hopes. I'm tempted to try a trip from Denver to Deadhorse Alaska, which should give me lots of slower, 45-65mph type driving, if I ever have a chance of driving slow enough to get to 40mpg, that would be my chance.
  • Filling your tank until it pools on the top of the filler neck is not new to me. In fact, that's how I fill up my 07 Camry LE all the time. Doing it this way ensures that there is no error when calculating true MPG for that tank. If you just let the pump cycle off by itself, there is no guarantee that it shut off at the same fuel level every time. This is especially true from pump to pump. By filling up the entire filler neck until it pools at the top, you are ensuring that the tank is filled to the exact level at every fill up.
    This is the way I do it. Pump until it shuts off automatically, then pull the nozzle out of the filler neck. Rest the end of the pump on the end of the filler neck, so that you can see the entire hole where the fuel goes. Kind of aim the pump at the hole and squeeze slowly until you get a slow steady stream of fuel. Now just hold it there until the fuel comes out of the hole and rests on the filler neck. You will have to do this a few times because the fuel will build up in the filler neck. So, fill up until it reaches the top and stop pumping, wait for the fuel to settle and begin pumping slowly again. Eventually the fuel will reach the top and actually pool in the filler neck.
    Some fuel pumps actually suck for doing this so, try to find a good pump and use that one often. My favorite is at Sam's Club and they keep everything pretty clean too. Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime. Just divide miles driven by gallons needed to fill. My last fill up was 25.8 mpg. Not too bad considering I do alot of short trips and city driving. Good luck. Find a good pump and be careful.
  • Just be very careful when doing this or you could end up getting fuel all over yourself. I notice that I fit well over another gallon in my tank by doing it this way. You are also ensuring that your MPG calculations are correct because you are filling to the same spot everytime.

Don't some vehicles though use more of an internal bladder containing the fuel nowadays rather than just a regular steel tank? I've got a hybrid which some people have suggested has a "variable" fill up point, depending on the temperature of the bladder, how long its been empty ( makes it contract, and therefore harder to fill ), stuff like that. Which mens even if you fill the neck to the same spot, you aren't necessarily getting the "usual" amount of fuel in, depending on other conditions.
    Aren't you at risk of getting gas into the vapor recovery system (and thus damaging it) by filling right up to the top of the spout?
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I think there is some truth in that, and I wouldn't take the risk in the first place of having gas spill on me and down the side of the car. Not fun.

If you just try to be consistent each time (especially if you use the same pump where possible), the average over several tankfuls will be accurate enough.
  • Bought an '07 Camry LE V-6 in July 2007. I have recorded gas quantity on fillups for many years, so is not a new issue for me. I drive ~ 80 miles roundtrip to work each day so large percentage of miles are highway at 65 MPH. To date, with 10,015 miles I have used 326.6 gallons for an average of 30.66 MPG.
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    I fill up this way and have for years. I've never had a problem. Sometimes i'll find a pump that is really stiff...so its hard to fill up, but usually i go to the same station which has an easy flowing handle. Anyway, trip # 2..... 405 miles 11.5 gas. 35.2 Mpg ..70 mph all the way...cruise control as always, Phoenix to So Cal, it did rain a bit which i think caused a lil less mpg than i would have normally recieved, also about a 20 mph head wind. So so far

Trip 1 424 miles 12.8 gas = 33.1 @ 75 mph cruise all the way
    trip 2 405 miles 11.5 ga. = 35.2 @ 70 mph cruise all the way ( with rain & head wind)

Ill report thurs going back to Phx...

thx caaz
  • To date, with 10,015 miles I have used 326.6 gallons for an average of 30.66 MPG.

We're going to have to start a club, and call it "The Impossibles" or some such if this keeps up.

My V6 Camry would return a decent 30-32 mpg when loaded and running the highway, I surely couldn't have ever gotten that as a 10,000 mile average though. I sold it in part because its around town mileage was like 18-20 with the wife driving. Of course, nearly anything the wife drives ( minivans, small sedans, sport sedans, and hybrids ) gets in that range.

My most fuel efficient move would be to get divorced.
  • Trip 1 424 miles 12.8 gas = 33.1 75 mph cruise all the way
    trip 2 405 miles 11.5 ga. = 35.2 70 mph cruise all the way ( with rain & head wind)

Ill report thurs going back to Phx...

thx caaz

Neato. You guys make we wish mine wasn't put away, and I had someplace to go. I'm going to have to make a special effort in the spring to take a long cross country trip and never go faster than 65mph just to see if I can get to 40mpg or not ( we'll make another club, called the "Super Impossibles", for anyone who can regularly pull off that! :) )
    Lol.... troy, i agrre about your most efficient move, my W sits and talks to her girlfriends for 15 minutes, idling the entire time, i guess they think it grows on trees. I can always get 30% or more than the W, i'm not sure how she drives.. Also, fyi, at 65 mph my Sienna gets 33 mpg with a v=6 and quite heavy, so i'm sure people with v-6 camrys if they knew how to drive could do even better than that...same engine, much lighter vehicule.

Later
    caaz
    OMGosh.... talk about a seriously boring drive. Thank heavens i had a book on tape, lol. Well, just finished taking one for the team......

410.4 miles 10.245 Ga. = 40.058 mpg.
    I knew it could be done, but took alot of patience. 65 mph all the way, cruise control of course, and i lucked out....No wind whatsoever, or rain like my attempt at 70 mph. Now i'm really considering an attempt at 60 mph. Its really tough when cars are passing you at 80 to 85 and not want to join them. But i have to try these speeds at least once. Now it really makes me wonder when others complain about getting 32 mpg etc with thier civics...etc. ITS ALL ABOUT THE SPEED.....

Until Sunday nite when i return and post again, later...Caaz
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    40 mpg is about what I would have guessed for a Camry at a steady 65 mph.

Get ready for claims of impossible, and doubts of your truthfullness.
    Even some of us who believe spectacular mileage is achievable don't place much credence on results from one tankful. The margin for error during fill up is too great. I am impressed that you would drive 400 miles at 65 mph to prove a point though. :D
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I am impressed that you would drive 400 miles at 65 mph to prove a point though.

Me too, esp. since the posted limit is presumably 75 mph in AZ. Even I don't think I'd try 60.

Is there a parallel road with not much traffic or stop lights? US 60 perhaps?
    just as dudleyr predicted , there are unbelievers...... To resond to your "dont give much credence from a tankful, because of filler error..... My gas was topped off right to the top...and refilled the exact same way, right to the top,,,showing gas as you look. And yes 210delray the posted speed in az is 75, saw a group of cars going by about 85,,,mercedes..bmw...acura....i just stayed right lane, and even the truckers were passing me. The only time i was even with the semis..was going uphill. Not sure if i'll attempt 60 or not, but i will re-do 65 just to show the unbelievers it can be done. I'll try n choose a day with similar weather... It was freakishly calm...no wind at all when i did it thurs afternoon. As you'll notice, my Sunday nite @ 70 mph....was only 35 mpg...Strong wind..and 2 hours of pouring rain....That one will be a re-do as well. I'll be doing it all year at different speeds...just to show you its consistant. I'm actually looking forward to my 80mph trip, havnt even done that yet which is my normal speed for the trip. Did i mention my previous car was an 04 civic hybrid?....So i do know what i'm doing in reguards to extracting all i can per gallon....

Until next report....Caaz

p.s. dudley knows thats about right..... how else do you expect all these Honda Accords to be getting 45-47 from some drivers...?...i looked at thier stats closely...all done from about 50 mph and under,,,,Saw it in greenhybrid.com..so the slower....the more mpg...Later..Caaz
  • OMGosh.... talk about a seriously boring drive. Thank heavens i had a book on tape, lol. Well, just finished taking one for the team......

410.4 miles 10.245 Ga. = 40.058 mpg.

TOUCHDOWN!!!! Man, you RULE!!!

I consider this just amazing, both your ability to drive that far that slowly, and the ability of the Camry to just keep giving...and giving....and giving.....

I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside....at the very least I have to match such a feat, now I've got to plan a roadtrip somewhere this spring....
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    "..... how else do you expect all these Honda Accords to be getting 45-47 from some drivers...?..."

Actually guilty as charged. I am an Accord owner. I Actually wanted a Camry but could not get a stick without a sunroof - hence Accord. Still interested in Camry mpg as I may have had one, and still believe they are similar in mpg. Same size engine, about the same weight.

FWIW my best tank (this is approx from memory as I am not at home) is 43.5 mpg. Took me over 500 miles (just over 300 miles at half a tank). My speed was between 60-65, tire pressure 39, Mobil one oil 0w-20, no A/C, temp about 70. This was a round trip and included two cold starts and a few small towns. Filled up at the same pump and in the same manner. Numbers were confirmed with my calibrated onboard scangauge II. They have also been repeated.

I have had the scangauge indicate in the high forties for shorter distances (about 100 miles) but that is with a tail wind. Slower speed will also yield high 40's, but I am pushing my limits as it is.

A little extrapolation for the Camry (1 mpg worse EPA) has me believing that the 40 mpg number is doable in good conditions on a long highway trip.

BTW anybody interested in getting better mpg or learning why their car does poorly should get a scangauge. It really shows you a lot about how a car runs, and how too keep things efficient.

Wind and temp play a huge role. Recently went on a 200 mile trip (100 each way). got about 34 going out and 48 coming back. Temp went from 20 to mid 40's and I was going with the wind not against. There was also a 2,000 ft elevation drop on the way back.