Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• My 2001 sticky shifty has 221,000 miles on it and much of the new car feel. It still gets a steady 31-32 MPG mostly city around Seattle and 36-40 on road trips at 60MPH.

Pretty good. Definitely on the higher end for highway mileage, but if you can really manage a roadtrip at 60mph it isn't unexpected. I've cracked 40 on a tank done mostly at 65mph or so, but BOY is it hard for me to do roadtrips under 70mph.

I have hopes of making my clutch and brakes last as long, my car is exclusively a highway traveler, which should be easy on both.
  • phd86phd86 Posts: 110
    Manual shifts are not the same animal, troy:

I have one, and I'll join the club, but that's a different club. Mine has 272, oops, make that 282,000 miles on it, and it gets a consistent 27 mpg in mixed driving; 30+ on every freeway trip (max 35+).

I'm even more convinced by the recent posts that manual shifts get consistently 15-20% better mileage than their equivalent vintage automatics. The EPA mileage ratings are even less relevant, as they rate the manual a mpg or so lower, if memory serves, for the camry.

And as far as your "welcome" to the club; that club has no members yet - my "challenge" was for anyone to put together three, not one, consecutive tankfuls of 600 miles on a tank - or 630 miles on a single tank. I'm not changing the game here, go read my original post. I don't put much stock at all in single tankful mpg's, even my own.

And let's talk apples here (automatic transmissions), not oranges.
  • Manual shifts are not the same animal, troy:

I'm even more convinced by the recent posts that manual shifts get consistently 15-20% better mileage than their equivalent vintage automatics. The EPA mileage ratings are even less relevant, as they rate the manual a mpg or so lower, if memory serves, for the camry.

And let's talk apples here (automatic transmissions), not oranges.

Please review Post#636 for the difference between two 2AZ-FE engined Camrys ( 2005,2007), low mileage, same owner, prime shape, one auto, one manual.

1-2 mpg translates to 3-6% difference in fuel mileage if you assume that the two generations of Camry are roughly equal in all other parameters. They aren't, but the EPA ranked both cars ( 2005 auto and 2007 stick ) as nearly the same mileage, which seems reasonable for a 3-6% difference. 15-20% would show up on an EPA sticker, and it doesn't.
  • bourne1bourne1 Posts: 20
    4 cylinder automatic '09 camry (basic)
    first fillup from dealership
    397.2 miles
    14.074 gallons
    =28.222 mpg
    about 40% city driving/no cruise control

second fillup
    274.1 miles
    8.174 gallons
    =33.533 mpg
    95% highway driving w/ less than 3% cruise control
  • 4 cylinder automatic '09 camry (basic)
    first fillup from dealership
    =28.222 mpg
    about 40% city driving/no cruise control

second fillup
    =33.533 mpg
    95% highway driving w/ less than 3% cruise control

Got'im. Odds are you'll get better highway as the car breaks in, and worse with nonstop city riding. Let us know, particularly with the city. I'll give you 33.5mpg highway for starters in the database, and leave the city mileage blank for now.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Just another data point for you = 32.95 mpg.

2007 Camry LE I4-5 speed auto. Current mileage is 33K, original tires (at 2 lbs over cold tire pressure), and just changed the oil/filter this weekend using regular standard 5w20 oil. I've had the 2nd TSB (036-07) for engine performance/transmission shifting from a year or so ago, have NOT had the most recent TSB performed yet. Filled up fuel before and after trip at the same gas station, same pump, low pressure fill at same clickoff, regular no-name el-cheapo gas. Relatively flat rolling hills of I-85 through NC and VA. 88 degree temperature outside, windows up, air conditioner on. Three people with luggage. 98% highway interstate driving, all highway driving solely using cruise control at posted speed limit (75% of the miles @ 65mph, 25% of the miles @ 70 mph). Mileage and speed validated w/GPS.

This is in the very typical range of low 30's mpg that we get with this vehicle on highway trips. Normally cruise about 5 mph faster, and don't always rely solely on the cruise control, but since no hurry this trip decided to let the control do all the work.
  • Just another data point for you = 32.95 mpg.

Got it. Let me know when you think you have an honest city number, I don't have one for your 2007 listed.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I will track a couple of weeks worth of tanks for you before the next highway trip in 3 weeks (since I just filled up).
    (1) indicate type of transmission (Manual transmissions do, in fact, get 15-20% better mileage than EPA estimate relative to the corresponding vintage of automatic). I realize that toyota made less than 1% of the camrys as manual, but it helps with interpreting the information.

(2) fill the tank up all the way to the top. The filler neck in the camry is such that it causes the pumps to "click" prematurely. About 3.5 gallons of air is left in the tank. To fill the tank completely requires "topping off" very slowly, for this particular vehicle.

(3) Drive the car farther. Due to error in (2), above, small volumes of gas (11-14 gallons), such as a recent post provided, have large effects of refill errors. This error is reduced as the volume of gas is increased. For gaging purposes, the gas light comes on after about 16 gallons have been used (2.5 gallons left, approximate remaining range of 50 miles, more or less).

(4) Please give the miles driven, and the gas quantity purchased

(5) Please indicate whether or not, for multiple readings, the reported miles and quantities were for consecutive tank refills.
    Recently, a frequent contributer to this subforum remarked that any camry that did not get 30+ mpg on the freeway was in some manner faulty ("something wrong").

I would be very interested in anyone who has a documented case in which a vehicle was brought in with mpg recordings of less than 30 mpg (say 25-28 mpg) and, as a consequene, had an actual malfunction detected and corrected, which improved the mileage. This would be very helpful to those of us who do not achieve 30 mpg.

Thank you very much!
  • (Manual transmissions do, in fact, get 15-20% better mileage than EPA estimate relative to the corresponding vintage of automatic).

For those who wish to see just such a difference quantified, please review Post#636, the difference between two near new, low mileage, 2AZ-FE engined 4 cylinder Camrys ( 2005 AT and 2007 MT ) on multi day, multi tank trips by the same driver on some of the same real estate.

As best I can recall having read every post in this thread recently, it is the only such data presented in as near an apples to apples comparison as possible. If anyone else has two of the same model years with one AT and one MT it would be nice to have that data, if possible.

1-2 mpg was the range, call it 3-6% difference, not all based on strictly the transmission but as close as anyone has posted to date.

For the record, the highway mileage on the 2005 AT and 2007 MT were within 1 mpg of each other under the same EPA testing procedure ( they could even have been the same, I don't have the 2005 original sticker anymore). A reasonable verification of the data as presented in Post#636 I might add.
  • lisntomelisntome Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 toyota camry LE, my car will only use premium fuel or the engine light comes on and will not go off until I refill with premium and ride almost to a half of a tank.(some time it stays on longer) Can anyone tell me why this is and how to fix this if it can be fixed. This is expensive, but it has always been this way.

Looking to reduce cost!
  • I have a 1999 toyota camry LE, my car will only use premium fuel or the engine light comes on and will not go off until I refill with premium and ride almost to a half of a tank.

Have you taken it to a dealership and had them tell you which sensor is throwing the code to the CEL?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I have never gotten more than 1/2 gallon into the tank after the first click, pumping slowly but not trickling. A 3.5 gallon air bubble seems awfully large.
  • I have never gotten more than 1/2 gallon into the tank after the first click, pumping slowly but not trickling. A 3.5 gallon air bubble seems awfully large.

On my last roadtrip, I was experimenting with trying to mess around with fill error. It didn't work out the way I had hoped, but one of the things I learned while experimenting was the difference between 1st click off and absolute fillup on 3 different tanks of gas.

1.0, 1.1 and 0.8 gallons, 1st click to spilling fuel.

As a point of interest, I'll probably try and collect this information on all 3 cars now, just to learn something about the differences.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I heard that you don't want to spill fuel out, because it can get into the charcoal canister?

Yes, I can believe that it is a gallon that you can squeeze in after the first time the pump shuts off. 3.5 gallons - no way. Common sense tells me that a car manufacturer would not waste that much space. I can think of lots of other reasons that 3.5 gallons is not reasonable - I have never seen any proof of it. Troy's post above is good proof of about a gallon.

I will try to post my MPG readings this weekend.
    My experience with the MT is that it gets a minimum of 5 mpg better than the AT at the maximum range (i.e., AT = just under 30 mpg, MT = 36+ mpg)

I have tried 9 different camrys, all automatic, and none of them have gotten 30 mpg on pure freeway.

I own a MT camry, and it never gets less than 29 mpg freeway. It is rated at 29 mpg. My AT camry is rated at 32 mpg, and averages 25-28 mpg. It does bounce around some, but not over 30, and not under 25.

The latest camry I have tried is a 2008, and it got just under 25 mpg on nearly pure freeway (normal driving speeds). I did a direct comparison with my camry, a 2004, and got 27 mpg. I found the 2008, to be a larger, more powerful, and responsive car, but it seems to use more gas.

On my latest tank "bubble test", I just did a short refill. This particular pump had very strong pressure. It clicked off at 8.5 gallons (~206 miles, 50% city driving, for an impressive 24+ mpg combined).

However, I was able to leak another 1.7 gallons into it (10.22 total, 20.22 mpg).

That's the smallest error I can remember - but one reason is that I couldn't even determine the error because of the high pressure of the pump. No fuel was spilled - I think there was alot more air left, but the pump just wouldn't pump slow enough.

I regularly get 2.5, 3, and even more gallons into the tank after the 4th click. At many different gas stations. 3 gallons is very common, for me, in my car - and the 8 other camry's between 2004-2008 that I tested. Others have reported a different experience, but that is mine.

One of my co-workers didn't believe it either - until he saw it (and looked under the car to see if there was a leak).
  • taz16taz16 Posts: 29
    2002 Camry SE V6 Fuel

Hello I was wondering if anybody in here owns a Camry V6 between the model years 2002-2006, I was planning on buying one and just needed to know if it's alright to put midgrade 89 fuel inside it??? or will it just slightly decrease its power output?? or will it mess up the engine???

Thanks,

Taz16
  • My experience with the MT is that it gets a minimum of 5 mpg better than the AT at the maximum range (i.e., AT = just under 30 mpg, MT = 36+ mpg)

Do you happen to have the data? For example, are the Camrys involved from the same generation? Do they have the same engines in them? Are they of similar mileage, odometer wise? Do you have a few thousand miles of consecutive highway only tanks from each you can list here? Just highway mileage of course, perhaps a long trip on each? Odometer and fuel used on each fillup would be fine. You can't really include any commuting mileage to minimize driving "style" from the equation as much as possible. You can use Message#636 as a template on how to do this if you'd like.

The goal is to minimize some of the "optional" factors which can interfere with trying to get a clean highway figure. Any commuting whatsoever in particular. When dealing with data, its necessary to know the particulars to decide which lines up best to test the original hypothesis ( in this case the actual difference between MT's and AT's in Camrys ).
  • leotskleotsk Posts: 13
    I own two AT Camry, 1997 Camry I am getting 35 to 40 MPG (Freeway at 65 Mile/ Hr) with inflated tires (40 psi).

For 2007 Camry 26 to 30 MPG with same driving conditions and style. I do use Scan Gauge for both the cars.