Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• 2002 Camry LE, 4 cylinders, 235,000 miles, has lifetime average 33+ mpg.
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    Just picked up a new XLE 4 cyl a week ago. Details of this purchase are on the "Prices Paid" forum. My first measured mpgs:

BEST CASE Highway 70mph = 40mpg. Truly a best case w/no wind or AC, level I-90 40mi stretch with around 475lbs of passengers and trunk items. Using car's mpg computer.

20/50/30 of hwy/suburban/in town = 33.9 mpg. This included the above 40 hwy miles too with same passenger configuration. Using 210 mis and 6.2 gals filled. Light footed but a more realistic case than the best case scenario above.

250 mi highway and suburban drive. 4 full size adults ie, 875 lbs passenger & 50 lbs trunk items. Rolling hills, some AC usage, 20-30 mph S wind, using car's mpg computer:
    - 80 hwy mis headed N (with the wind) 38 mpg
    - 170 mis includes 80 hwy miles and then suburban/in town 34 mpg
    - 80 hwy mis headed back into the strong wind 33 mpg

Note despite the unseasonably warm spell I believe we are still using "winter gas" in the northern states which usually do not switch over until April 1 and that could result in even higher mpgs from April - October. I will update this forum in the future.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    > 20/50/30 of hwy/suburban/in town = 33.9 mpg

Wow, how do you do this? I have a new 2.5l LE (1K miles so far), same proportion of hwy/sub/town, am a conservative driver (no gunning), and I cannot even reach 26 mpg average. I have to say I am rather disappointed. Based on the fact that all my other cars have always exceeded projected mpg (some by a good margin), this is quite a letdown.

I might have bought a hybrid, but Toyota does not offer a power seat option in hybrid LE, only XLE (unlike on a regular LE, where they do offer power seat option - I have to say those marketing games are really annoying).
  • I'm with you. I don't know how some people get such terrifc mpg from their Camrys while we usually get at least 20% under the stated mpg of 23 mpg in the city (more like 25% under in the winter). On the highway with ideal conditions we can sometimes match the stated highway mpg of 28, but have only gotten more than that with a strong tailwind, (and we are also very careful drivers.) We get a bit above the stated mpg from our Honda Civic, so it isn't our driving habits. I think some engines are just put together better or for some reason get better mileage---or those great mileage numbers are based on one fillup that just doesn't happen to fill all the way. Either that or we got unlucky and have something wrong with our engine that was never diagnosed.
  • flbntzflbntz Posts: 43
    I get anywhere from 24 to 32mpg, with no rhyme, or reason, on my Camry I4 AT. Same driving, same driver. I usually am above stated milage with other brand cars than Toyotas.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    My mileage has always been fine. Now, if I get in the dead of winter and/or in heavy stop and go traffic with LOTS of zero mpg time, my mpg can get very low, but that's normal. Or if I accelerate hard and do 75+ mpg on the highway, it will be lower. On my normal commute, I can get 32 mpg. I have no problem matching EPA ratings WHEN I HAVE CONDITIONS THAT ARE SIMILAR TO THE WAY THE EPA TESTS. This is the same as ANY car I have ever had, no mater which car.

MPG is a huge variable, depending on hundreds of factors. That's why the EPA rates the cars, not the manufacturer. The cars are all built with extremely tight tolerances, so I really doubt that one car gets a significantly different mpg than another of the same make, model, year. The variance is all in the 100's of real life variables. I really doubt it is the car. Check Toyota nation forums also - no real complaints.
    I've had tons of cars in my life. Honda Civic, 32-38 EPA, got 44 on highway one time. The Toyotas have been different, FOR ME. I like my Toyota, BUT, it doesn't get great gas milage. Inconsistant, with same driver that got 44mpg on 38mpg rated Honda Civic. Got 35mpg with 2004 Chevy Impala, rated 32 mpg on highway. Got 37mpg with Golf, rated at 32 mpg on highway. It's not me. It's the car. Plenty of others report same thing with this car. You're lucky. You're one of the lucky ones.
    I have no idea how I do it either, sounds like very similar vehicles. Not sure where you live but we are in a fairly flat spot in SE MN, few 100-300 ft hills around town, so that may help me. I generally don't drive with more than 2 in the car but the last non interstate hwy trip I had a few weeks ago was getting 37 MPG at under 65 mph for 200 miles with 2 in the car, no AC. Now the past 2 weeks of city/suburban driving I am getting 29 MPG. I am fairly light footed but if people are behind me I will gun it more to keep with the flow of traffic. When I did play around using the shiftable tranny and winding up the 5000 rpm the mileage did go much lower. Note in MN we have to use 10% ethanol in the gas; I don't know if we still have winter gas (less MPGs) but suspect we've converted to summer gas. I also checked twice and my trip computer was right on for MPG vs measuring miles vs gals in a tank fill. So I'd give the Camry MPG an A, but could understand why you and others on this forum would not be as pleased ...
    The milage I got in all the other vehicles was the same terrain as the Camry. Sounds like you got "a good one". Many of the rest of us have not. Still, I do like the car, but was disappointed at the gas milage. Prius as well.
    Check Toyotanation.com. I don't consider myself "lucky," just normal.
    naatz1, I just do flat suburban commute, nothing special, no gunning, rapid acceleration, nothing of the kind. My other cars have given me consistently better gas mileage than rated. Quite the opposite with the Camry. The gas here is also an ethanol mix.
    I went to the shore yesterday, 3 hrs each way. Tank at 1/2 = 300 miles! Thought, "This is great!", then hit all kinds of traffic coming home. Had gone early in the morning, never thought everyone would be coming home later Sunday. Still, 32.67mpg is the best milage I've gotten on it so far. I'd thought of the ethanol thing, too, but all my other vehicles have eaten the same diet, and always exceeded EPA estimates.
    I'd been waiting a while for another comment but just got back from a 300+ mile trip to visit family in a neighboring state giving me another long hiway mile test. Four full size adults with a -full- trunk of luggage, over 900 lbs of people and "stuff". No AC needed, but trip outbound was into a 20mph head wind. 17% city miles, 83% interstate (speeds between 68-70+ mph). We got 32.1 MPG using miles & gals vs 32.5 on trip computer.

With that, I have joined the FUELLY.com group and will start posting future fills there based off miles and gals. I recommend some here take at look at that site and sort by engine size and model year to get another view of what others are getting. Edmunds is still a great site for reviews, TCO and gen'l user info forums so I will keep scanning it for that as well.

I do think a big variable for these types of reports is what do people consider as CITY vs SUBURBAN vs HIGHWAY. There is a big difference in MPGs off the 55-60 mph 2 lane highway vs 70-75 mph interstate highway. Then AC, loads, and wind are a big factor especially on highway MPGs, none of which seem to get into EPA ratings.
  • hp2009hp2009 Posts: 65
    i heard that toyota display mpg and calculated mpg are not same in prius,camry,prius v...can any body give me their experience please on 2012 camry.
    I am not sure what you mean that "display" and "calculated" are not the same. I only know about the 2012 Camry non-hybrid XLE which has three ways to see mpg: the dash right side meter, the dash odometer when pressed to the avg mpg (holding that button resets both it and the meter), and with the basic Nav/Entune radio the vehicle button on the radio can show past 5 mins and trips mpg. There has been some debate if these car computer calculated mpgs equal those measured from actual miles and gallons on fillup, however here are my past four actual mi/gals vs computer mpg: 28.3 vs 28.7, 32.5 vs 32.7, 31.0 vs 31.5, 34.6 vs 34.5. I've been adding my actuals on the fuelly.com website; if I wasn't I would trust the car computer reading to be accurate enough.

After almost 5000 mi in the past 3 months I am still very satisfied with the new Camry XLE, I'd give it a 96/100 on comfort, mpg and quality!
    Hi hp2009. In my case the difference between displayed and calculated is so miniscule (< 0.2 mpg) as to be irrelevant.
  • My 2008 Solara 4 cyl has approx a 2-3 mpg difference between the computer reading and calculated mpg-with the computer reading HIGHER than calculated. At every fillup I top off the tank to the filler neck so that I can gauge accuracy of the fillup. I divide the # of gallons filled into the mileage. Since changing my spark plugs in the last 1,000 miles, I see an increase in mpg, both calculated and computer read.
  • My 2008 Solara 4 cyl gets worse mpg with ethanol gas additives. I notice that the lower the ethanol content, the better my mpg. I try to find gas stations that have pure gas or lower ethanol content for better mpg. I live in the Wash, DC metro area and Liberty gas stations advertise their pure gas products-so I try to fill up there when I can. I found that I get the worst mpg when I gas up at either Costco or Flying J even though their prices are usually the lowest in my area. I also got crummy mpg from my last 2 tanks of Sunoco 87. For me, my best mpg's come from Liberty, Exxon, Shell, and BP.
  • I bought the Camry 2012; XLE 4 cyl in MA, only 1400 miles so far. Driving in the city , average 20-21 miles per gallon. I called the dealer service, I was appalled when they told me to expect 6 mpg swing; I was advised to start a log with the fuel I put in vs actual miles I get. I am starting to do that. In addition to that I was told they can do nothing to correct it at the dealership technical service. Big reason for me to to buy this car was fuel economy. It may be too early to be worried; I just want to hear others that have similar situations.
    Yes, you are way too early to be worrying about this - your first tank involves idling and very short trips at the plant, transport, dealership, etc.

Your car will be fine - low mpg is a common, but 99.9% of the time, incorrect complaint.
  • I started recording MPG; I fill the tank completely, record the miles until i fill it up again; this time I drove more in highway; result: 19 miles per gallon.Iis this a LEMON???
  • I have a 2012 Camry LE. Its used mostly for city driving and almost everyday it does a 1 mile uphill climb. The mileage on the odometer has never dropped below 22.5 and never gone above 23.2
  • "...At every fillup I top off the tank to the filler neck..."

Not a good idea...can damage evaporative emission components...expensive repair
  • I'm new to the Camry since Oct...have only driven local streets for the past 3 months and am averaging 24-25 mpg...
  • Thanks kats. No longer have the car. Just traded for a 2012 Prius.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    How is mpg on the Fusion. I have heard not very good things about the efficiency of the Ford Turbos.
    Back and forth to work a mile and a half up a hill, and down a hill, 14.1mpg. 2.5l 4. I do let it warm up until the tach drops below 1,0000 rpm before putting it in gear. Low thirties on back roads, and higways. Not disappointed, though. Satisfying car to drive. Camry was no problem, Fird just a bit more engaging. A little narrower.
  • Hi,

I planned to buy a used solara (4.0 cyl). Everything is good except the MPG. It displays 11 MPG. The owner doesn't give me good explainasion. I think he doesn't know car well. Does anyone know what may happen to this car? What kind of behaviour may lead to this? Is it worth to buy it?

Hope someone can help. Thank you!