Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    naatz1, I just do flat suburban commute, nothing special, no gunning, rapid acceleration, nothing of the kind. My other cars have given me consistently better gas mileage than rated. Quite the opposite with the Camry. The gas here is also an ethanol mix.
  • flbntzflbntz Posts: 43
    I went to the shore yesterday, 3 hrs each way. Tank at 1/2 = 300 miles! Thought, "This is great!", then hit all kinds of traffic coming home. Had gone early in the morning, never thought everyone would be coming home later Sunday. Still, 32.67mpg is the best milage I've gotten on it so far. I'd thought of the ethanol thing, too, but all my other vehicles have eaten the same diet, and always exceeded EPA estimates.
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    I'd been waiting a while for another comment but just got back from a 300+ mile trip to visit family in a neighboring state giving me another long hiway mile test. Four full size adults with a -full- trunk of luggage, over 900 lbs of people and "stuff". No AC needed, but trip outbound was into a 20mph head wind. 17% city miles, 83% interstate (speeds between 68-70+ mph). We got 32.1 MPG using miles & gals vs 32.5 on trip computer.

With that, I have joined the FUELLY.com group and will start posting future fills there based off miles and gals. I recommend some here take at look at that site and sort by engine size and model year to get another view of what others are getting. Edmunds is still a great site for reviews, TCO and gen'l user info forums so I will keep scanning it for that as well.

I do think a big variable for these types of reports is what do people consider as CITY vs SUBURBAN vs HIGHWAY. There is a big difference in MPGs off the 55-60 mph 2 lane highway vs 70-75 mph interstate highway. Then AC, loads, and wind are a big factor especially on highway MPGs, none of which seem to get into EPA ratings.
  • hp2009hp2009 Posts: 65
    i heard that toyota display mpg and calculated mpg are not same in prius,camry,prius v...can any body give me their experience please on 2012 camry.
  • naatz1naatz1 Posts: 187
    I am not sure what you mean that "display" and "calculated" are not the same. I only know about the 2012 Camry non-hybrid XLE which has three ways to see mpg: the dash right side meter, the dash odometer when pressed to the avg mpg (holding that button resets both it and the meter), and with the basic Nav/Entune radio the vehicle button on the radio can show past 5 mins and trips mpg. There has been some debate if these car computer calculated mpgs equal those measured from actual miles and gallons on fillup, however here are my past four actual mi/gals vs computer mpg: 28.3 vs 28.7, 32.5 vs 32.7, 31.0 vs 31.5, 34.6 vs 34.5. I've been adding my actuals on the fuelly.com website; if I wasn't I would trust the car computer reading to be accurate enough.

After almost 5000 mi in the past 3 months I am still very satisfied with the new Camry XLE, I'd give it a 96/100 on comfort, mpg and quality!
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Posts: 263
    Hi hp2009. In my case the difference between displayed and calculated is so miniscule (< 0.2 mpg) as to be irrelevant.
  • My 2008 Solara 4 cyl has approx a 2-3 mpg difference between the computer reading and calculated mpg-with the computer reading HIGHER than calculated. At every fillup I top off the tank to the filler neck so that I can gauge accuracy of the fillup. I divide the # of gallons filled into the mileage. Since changing my spark plugs in the last 1,000 miles, I see an increase in mpg, both calculated and computer read.
  • My 2008 Solara 4 cyl gets worse mpg with ethanol gas additives. I notice that the lower the ethanol content, the better my mpg. I try to find gas stations that have pure gas or lower ethanol content for better mpg. I live in the Wash, DC metro area and Liberty gas stations advertise their pure gas products-so I try to fill up there when I can. I found that I get the worst mpg when I gas up at either Costco or Flying J even though their prices are usually the lowest in my area. I also got crummy mpg from my last 2 tanks of Sunoco 87. For me, my best mpg's come from Liberty, Exxon, Shell, and BP.
  • I bought the Camry 2012; XLE 4 cyl in MA, only 1400 miles so far. Driving in the city , average 20-21 miles per gallon. I called the dealer service, I was appalled when they told me to expect 6 mpg swing; I was advised to start a log with the fuel I put in vs actual miles I get. I am starting to do that. In addition to that I was told they can do nothing to correct it at the dealership technical service. Big reason for me to to buy this car was fuel economy. It may be too early to be worried; I just want to hear others that have similar situations.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Yes, you are way too early to be worrying about this - your first tank involves idling and very short trips at the plant, transport, dealership, etc.

Your car will be fine - low mpg is a common, but 99.9% of the time, incorrect complaint.
  • I started recording MPG; I fill the tank completely, record the miles until i fill it up again; this time I drove more in highway; result: 19 miles per gallon.Iis this a LEMON???
  • I have a 2012 Camry LE. Its used mostly for city driving and almost everyday it does a 1 mile uphill climb. The mileage on the odometer has never dropped below 22.5 and never gone above 23.2
  • "...At every fillup I top off the tank to the filler neck..."

Not a good idea...can damage evaporative emission components...expensive repair
  • I'm new to the Camry since Oct...have only driven local streets for the past 3 months and am averaging 24-25 mpg...
  • Thanks kats. No longer have the car. Just traded for a 2012 Prius.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    How is mpg on the Fusion. I have heard not very good things about the efficiency of the Ford Turbos.
  • flbntzflbntz Posts: 43
    Back and forth to work a mile and a half up a hill, and down a hill, 14.1mpg. 2.5l 4. I do let it warm up until the tach drops below 1,0000 rpm before putting it in gear. Low thirties on back roads, and higways. Not disappointed, though. Satisfying car to drive. Camry was no problem, Fird just a bit more engaging. A little narrower.
  • Hi,

I planned to buy a used solara (4.0 cyl). Everything is good except the MPG. It displays 11 MPG. The owner doesn't give me good explainasion. I think he doesn't know car well. Does anyone know what may happen to this car? What kind of behaviour may lead to this? Is it worth to buy it?

Hope someone can help. Thank you!