Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Real World MPG

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I've forgotten, do you close to the EPA highway rating for freeway driving? For another data point, I have a 2005 3.3L V6. I drive about 8 miles to work with no less than 10 lights or stop signs along the way. If I'm lucky I might be able to go 3 miles without stopping but I don't get that lucky very often. I average 20-21 mpg in the summer months and around 18 in the winter.
  • janderson8janderson8 Member Posts: 30
    I'm a bit closer to the highway stated mpg, but usually 1 to 2 under unless the conditions are very favorable. I have a 4 cyl and get 17-18 in the winter but rarely 20, even in summer. 19.5 is, I think the best in the 6 years we've owned the car, and that is only one or two times. Luckily, I like everything else about the car, so if gas prices weren't so high, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, there you have it: 1-2 mpg under the EPA highway rating is reasonable; certainly nothing that a dealership is going to act on.

And with a 5-mile trip one way for your commute, your engine doesn't even fully warm up, especially so in the winter.
    Highway mileage is extremely speed sensitive. I have seen data from both C&D and Consumer Reports indicating a 5 mpg decrease for every 10 mph speed increase.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That's basically true (although numbers will vary by how aero-efficient the car is). I drive an Accord I-4 and get approx 39 MPG at a constant 75 MPH, but around 85 MPH, I only get about 34 MPG.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    See if you can get 44 mpg at 65 mph - that would be interesting to know.
    I doubt that would happen. Ya see, at 75 MPH, my car is in a meatier part of its torque band, so it doesn't ever have to unlock the torque converter to keep speed on hills (keeping RPMs at a constant 2,500) whereas at 65 MPH, it would likely have to unlock, or even downshift once in awhile, making the RPMs go from 2,200 (at 65) to over 3,000, effectively bring my mileage to a lower figure than that 39.

I tried the same trip that has given me 39 MPG regularly at a speed of around 68 MPH instead of 75, and I ended up with about 37 MPG, so 75 is the sweet spot for my car in Alabama's rolling hills of I-65 to the gulf coast.

I think what I said makes sense, does it?
    Yes it makes sense. I would think that you would see some increase though because the drag is so much less at 65. Maybe there was a headwind when you tried it.

New transmisions frustrate me with their overeager downshifts. I have a Sienna that actually gains speed going up hill with cruise control - and inevitably requires a downshift or two. I guess if it drops any speed at all people will complain that it is underpowered. I would much prefer to lose a couple mph and gain a quieter more efficient ride.

This all highlights one of the advantages of a manual - just leave it in top gear. My stick shift cars (over the years) almost never require a downshift going up a hill.
    New transmisions frustrate me with their overeager downshifts. I have a Sienna that actually gains speed going up hill with cruise control - and inevitably requires a downshift or two. I guess if it drops any speed at all people will complain that it is underpowered. I would much prefer to lose a couple mph and gain a quieter more efficient ride.

This all highlights one of the advantages of a manual - just leave it in top gear. My stick shift cars (over the years) almost never require a downshift going up a hill.

I know what you mean...I much prefer the cruise control in my 1996 Accord to that in my 2006. The 06, when climbing a hill, at say, 50 MPH, will downshift once or twice, and keep the speed at or slightly OVER 50, whereas my 1996 will stay in top gear, dropping to about 45 MPH before sloooooowly creeping up to 50.

I guess it's ok since the Accord is supposed to be one of the "sporty" variants in the midsize arena, but because of the nature of my new car's cruise, I tend to turn it off in hilly sections so I can be more prudent and use my foot.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "I tend to turn it off in hilly sections so I can be more prudent and use my foot." ((

Try locking your 2006 Accord in 4th overdrive when negotiating hilly terrain with the cruise control engaged - you might find things more to your liking. (5th overdrive in the 2003 and later I4 Accords is way too "tall" when ascending.)
  • sergeykorensergeykoren Member Posts: 2
    I got a new car on August and I have MPG only 18-21?
    My diller tell me that this is fine.
    But i think that not good.
    Any comments?
    Thanks
  • 07xle07xle Member Posts: 177
    You don't mention what engine you have..

Read the posts on this forum from the start and you can compare to yours.
    The gearing is too tall, but the car will automatically shift to 4th only if it has to, otherwise, I'd rather it stay in 5th if at all possible.

Also, the Accord has no way to lock in "4," interestingly. No need to, really, though.
    25 fillups, 9,000 miles.

Highest Tank- 100% Highway, 65-70 mph, 33.14 mpg.

Lowest Tank- 100% City, 22.71 mpg.

Avg for 9,000 miles, 50% hwy, 27.41 mpg.

Had 1 tank where I filled up before the 400 mile mark and 1 tank made it easily over 500 miles.

Trip Computer avg. reads 1.39 mpg too high.

I use my cruise control w/o problems on the road except on mountain passes where I want control.
  • sergeykorensergeykoren Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry.
    I have Toyota Camry 2007 with engine 2.4 and 60/40 Highway/city millage. I measured MPG for last 2000 miles ans it was not more than 22
  • 100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    sergeykoren, I'm getting the same milage. 100% highway about 27MPG, 100% city about 19-21MPG.
  • lessachslessachs Member Posts: 44
    2007 Hybrid:
    40 mpg highway
    38 mpg city
  • jimrsjimrs Member Posts: 2
    We have only had the car a few weeks but the wife is driving it quite a few miles. The first tank of gas was not to bad
    412.4 miles and 30.96 m.p.g.
    the second tank was
    472.2 miles and 33.35 m.p.g.
    The last tank was
    393.8 miles and 30.35 m.p.g.
    This averaged out to be
    1278.4 miles and 31.591 m.p.g.
    I would guess that the last tank was a lot of local driving and not much on the highway. So far I am happy with the mileage and the car, it's a LE 4cly auto. It beats the Blazer that we got rid of at 19/20 M.P.G.
  • mac36mac36 Member Posts: 1
    I've been reading these posts with interest because I'm about to purchase a 07 4cyl Camry. Residing in Connecticut, I notice on the carsdirect.com site that the engine in the camrys approved for sale here are the Partial Zero Emission Vehicles (Engine: 2.4L I-4 DOHC SMPI PZEV
    4-cylinder 155 hp engine with 2.4-liter displacement, dual overhead cam valvetrain, sequential multi-port injection
    Required equipment in California, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey and Vermont. Permitted in Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.:)

As you can see the HP rating is 155, rather than the 158 HP 4cyl that is sold in the rest of the states.

I would assume that any emission controls that require 3HP to operate would also substantially reduce the mpg.

It would be interesting to see if the people in the states listed with the PZEVs are the ones that are getting substantially below the advertised mileage.
    The short answer is no, certainly not "substantially." Your driving style will make much more of a difference.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I'm not a technical expert, but I'm guessing with the hybrid model this rating (or the mechanical stuff that goes with it)does indeed hurt the milage as many times the ICE is running simply for emmissions reasons as the traction battery is fully charged and the ICE would not be running under warmer conditions. Personally I'd just as soon have a "dirtier" hybrid that the ICE wouldn't run unless it was needed to charge the battery. It would still be cleaner than most cars on the road and might mean 2 to 4 mpg difference in cold weather.

It is interesting to see what you ICE only folks are getting in the winter as the hybrids are down 3 to 4 mpg in cold weather for most folks. (Still, that puts me at 36 to 37 mpg, not bad)
  • michaelpsumichaelpsu Member Posts: 24
    I bought this Camry new...on a whim one Saturday afternoon...and traded in my beloved '02 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. With the 24 city/34 highway ratings, I thought that I would be able to average around 27 mpg with 50/50 driving.

I have been keeping track of my mileage since day one. I have put on 27542 miles....and have averaged only 24.4 mpg! I do not drive this car 'hard' by any means. It is a 4cyl Camry...how hard can it be driven???? However, the highway driving that I do is fairly flat...by Central PA standards anyway...and I usually set the cruise at 75 to 78. The highest tank I have ever recorded was 30.5 mpg...and that was with four adults and a trunk full of luggage going 70 mph. Most of my all-city tanks only come in at about 22-23.

The Subaru...with full-time AWD...was driven VERY hard...I mashed the pedal to the floor every chance I got. I was averaging 24 in it...with 22 city 28 highway ratings. I could deal with 24 mpg...since the car was a damn blast to drive. The Camry...however...is not fun to drive.

Compare this to my parents' '05 Malibu Maxx with a V6 and four speed auto. I drove that car from Alabama to PA in one day...about 950 miles. According to the trip computer...I averaged 73 MPH...so you know how fast I was actually going...and I managed to get 31.8 MPG!!!!!!!!

I won't even get started on the Camry's quality problems that I have not been able to get resolved....ugh! I think it is time for me to go back to Subaru...I have had three...or even consider a GM product. (Oh yeah...other than a droopy sunvisor...my parents have had no problems with their Malibu over 25000 miles!)
    Not a good idea to buy a car on a whim. ;) I'm curious though; if your Subaru was so "beloved" and only 3 years old, why did you get rid of it?

I have an '05 Camry XLE 4 and an '04 Camry LE 4. The '05 gets from 21 mpg in short trip driving and up to 33 mpg on the highway. Overall average for 17,000+ miles is 25.4 mpg. But I cruise at the speed limit (65 or 70 mph max in my area).

The '04, with one fewer gear in the tranny, gets from 23 to 38 mpg. Overall average is about 28 mpg over about 28,000 miles. This Camry has seen a higher percentage of highway driving.

If you drive 75-78 mph, you're not going to get the EPA highway rating. The EPA's highway test simulates a trip with an average speed of only 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. The engine is fully warmed and no a/c is used. That's mainly why the EPA is finally mandating a stricter test starting with the 2008 model year.

BTW on that Maxx's trip mpg you reported, was that as figured by the trip computer or by calculating it the old fashioned way (miles driven divided by gallons to fill up)? The reason I ask is that the trip computer in my '05 Camry is ALWAYS optimistic (the '04 doesn't have a computer).
    I still envy any of you getting even 21 mpg on your Camry LE's! As I've stated before, I am lucky to get 19 and we drive carefully. Highway will sometimes get near 27-28, but not the advertised 29. Most of our trips are easy city, no speeding. Has anyone ever had mileage problems that were solved by replacing a part, etc. If so, please post. I've felt there was something amiss with this car since we got it 6 years ago.
    There is something wrong with the car or you are driving extremely fast. I can get 28 mpg pretty easily in my Toyota with the same engine - 2006 Sienna. This despite much greater drag, and about 1,000 extra lbs to carry around.
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Not necessarily true. A lot of things factor into your MPG. How you drive definitely has a bearing on your mileage. But so does where you live. For instance I live in North East Ohio where they use winter additives in the gas from late October to early may and we lose any where from 1 to 3 miles per gallon during that time. It also depends on the condition of the vehicle, or tire pressure, or how many miles on the vehicle.
    Yes, but all of those factors can be changed - and have been suggested many times previously to those with poor mileage. Besides, a Camry should beat a Sienna even under the worst conditions.
  • jollygreen1jollygreen1 Member Posts: 42
    I was lucky to find an 05 LE Camry with 9k miles on it at a great price (private sale). I have had it now a little over a yr and am very happy with it especially the gas mileage. The little 160 hp engine has adequate power in Colorado (except on Vail and Monarch Pass) but acceptable. I drive conservatively (speed limits or lower) and get 25 to 28 in town and 39 on the hwy. I want a hybrid Camry one day, but considering the price difference the mileage is hard to beat on the 2.4L.
  • jollygreen1jollygreen1 Member Posts: 42
    I also have an 03 4R V8 Ltd that gets terrible mileage. It was suggested to me to have the injectors cleaned along with the throttle body and Mass Air Sensor (MAS). I cleaned the throttle body and MAS myself-easy to do but be careful. I decided to clean the Camry's throttle body and MAS at the same time-a little harder do to thottle body location. Both vehicles had a somewhat dirty throttle body and inlet-cleaned with carb cleaner. I cleaned the MAS with electrical contact cleaner and dried it with a can of compressed air. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING on the MAS-no rags or Q-Tips!!! Just spray it. I doubt it will change my gas mileage on the Camry-didn't on the 4R (15mpg avg-yuk!). I wonder if Janderson's Camry is stuck in 4th gear or the overdrive isn't working properly? Great Forum btw.
  • vbccvbcc Member Posts: 3
    First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has posted their fuel economy numbers. Reading your posts helped me a great deal in determining what car to buy. For anyone reading this message board for the same purpose, here is my contribution...

I just drove off on my new '07 Camry LE 2.4L Automatic and had my first fill-up. The car is Metallic Gray (if that matters) and assembled in Georgetown, KY. At time of purchase, the car had 9.5 miles on it (most of it, I believe, was from my test drive). The dealer gave me a full tank of gas. Before I drove the car off the lot, I reset my trip odometer back to zero.

When I reached about a quarter tank used (according to the gauge), I got another fill-up of regular (87) gasoline. My figures are based on (1) the trip odometer and on (2) the number of gallons put into the tank on the second fill-up to reach Full. Here are my numbers:

Miles driven: 142.2
    Gallons used: 4.56
    Fuel Economy: 31.22807

Total miles on odometer at fill-up: 152 miles.

This is based on about 70% highway/30% suburban driving. I took a round-trip drive on the PA turnpike, Rt. 1 (PA freeway portion), Rt. 1 (NJ commercial highway with stoplights), I-95 between NJ and PA, Rt. 202 (PA freeway with no stoplights), PA and NJ suburban roads with lights.

I had asked the dealer if there was a break-in period and if I should refrain from using cruise control. He said for the first 1000 miles not to hit the gas pedal hard and not to stay at one speed (cruise control) for more than 45 minutes.

Only a few times did I exceed 60 MPH (it was raining, so traffic was slow and I wasn't the slowest driver on the road). I did not use cruise control at all. I only exceeded 2000 RPMs when I accelerated to merge onto highway traffic or going uphill from a standstill. I think I touched 3000 RPMs only twice and did not stay there for more than a second or two each time. Most of my drive was between 1000 and 2000 RPMs.

I'm not sure if the dealer gasoline was the winter mix. I assume it is 87. I drove the car conservatively, opting to stay at or below speed limits. I also tended to coast (foot off the gas pedal) going downhill or on low-speed-limit flat roads. I have found that my Camry has a habit of running itself (no foot on gas) at 15-25 MPH on flat roads. I don't know if this helps fuel economy, but I took advantage of it when cruising around parking lots.

As I said above, it was raining, drizzling, and overcast. The roads were mostly wet. During the length of my trip, the sun was never out. I used the AC (defroster) with the fan on Low half the time; the other half, I turned the fan off. For the entire drive, I did not have air re-circulating in the car.

I don't know if it is my driving style that is contributing to the results. I previously owned a '96 Camry 4-Cyl Automatic, which is rated (by the EPA) at 28 MPG Highway, and I was able to achieve 27-29 MPG regularly. I usually drive close to 50% highway/45% suburban/5% urban. I normally drive 60-70 MPH on the highway and within 5 MPH of speed limits in the suburbs.

Also, I have read in previous posts that the trip odometer may be incorrect. How do I test this out? When I do the math, my actual odometer matches the trip odometer.

I hope this helps. I know that others' posts have helped me a great deal. I will try to post my numbers regularly during and after the 1000-mile break-in period. I drive about 400 miles per week, so I should pass that mark soon.
    1 4.5 gallon fill up is a start, but a longer trip will give a more accurate idea of your mileage. I do think you will be able to repeat your numbers though - given your driving style.
  • keislkeisl Member Posts: 16
    I'm still right there with you! I've now moved out of busy Orange County California, to the middle of nowhere. If I go nowhere all month, very short trips, I'm lucky to get about 15-16 MPG - I realize the car doesn't have time to warm up much, but we only have 2 stop signs and one light in town, and the speed limit is 35. I'm not gunning it! Occasionally I will drive the long way so that I can drive 55-60 MPH through the farmland for about 15 minutes. When I visit my sister in OC, I may get up to about 25-26 MPG - with 150 miles of cruising flat and straight. I realize I'm going a little faster, but I'm just cruising, no stopping or slowing. It's just me in the car, and I'm not carrying much. Overall, I just expect a 4 cyl to be a little easier on the gas. :(
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    "People want economy and they will pay any price to get it."

- Lee Iacocca
    That kind of mileage is hard to explain. Today I drove 420 miles in a 2007 Nissan Maxima. All but 30 miles were on the freeway, most of that at 75 mph. I average 23.2 mpg and this is a car with 260hp. Not sure how much the CVT helped, if at all. I regularly get 26-27 mpg on the highway on the 2005 Camry SE V6.
  • michaelpsumichaelpsu Member Posts: 24
    I traded the Legacy because I was getting ready to take my parents and grandmother on a 2000 mile trip...and I thought that we needed something a little bigger. Plus...I felt that the Subaru had a curse. After 11 years with a flawless driving record and no insurance claims...I had four in three years! Luckily...none of them counted against me...one was hit-and-run, I hit a deer, I was rearended, and my brother backed into the car in my parents' driveway! LOL

I know driving faster does cut mileage...but I still thought that I could get closer to 30 with this Camry. My last tank...which was just mostly going to work and back...two miles one way with one redlight...I only got 19 mpg. It has been colder here though...and I did let it run a few mornings to clear the frost.

With my parents' Maxx...I tracked mileage both ways...and came close to the trip computer figure. I think that is just hard to beat a GM V6 for mileage. Even their '92 Olds 88 with 190K on it managed to get 30 on the highway...and that was a big car. I had an Impala as a rental last summer...and got 29..according to the trip computer...on a 200 mile jaunt...all highway at 75mph.

Last weekend I stopped in at a dealership and saw an '07 SE 4cyl 5 speed manual in gray...and I am TEMPTED! If it would be barcelona red...it would have been in my driveway on Monday! LOL I also looked at a Prius Touring...and they have a bunch of them on the lot so it is probably time to start price slashing on them.

I am starting grad school...which is going to mean a 130 mile round trip two nights per week for the next two years...so gas mileage is something that I have to consider. I might even end up with a Corolla!
    My last was a 5-speed manual Corolla Sport ('04). If I didn't have the kids, I'd probably still be driving it, but it was a little small. It also developed on of those "Wow, we never see that on the Corolla's" problems. One of the nicest cars I ever had and it beats HANDS DOWN the Camry on MPG (oh big surprise) - but I'm talking about close to 10 MPG better. Big draw backs - it doesn't drive well in any kind of weather - wind, moderate rain, snow.... In nice weather though (oh, and not too much heavy traffic with the stick), I think it was my favorite car to drive.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    My MPG has ranged from 18.5 to 21 in the past month and a half I have had the car. I am going to my dealer this Friday (hopefully for the TSB) to fix some tranny issues and I hope the MPG will increase as well.

I will update after my "visit" with the dealer.
    What kind of tranny issues do you have? We've had our Camry for over 6 years and have never gotten better mileage than you reported...city has never been over 19. And taking it to the dealer proved futile. I've felt from the start there might be a transmission problem but the dealer did not agree.
  • stlpike07stlpike07 Member Posts: 229
    Well, as far as the tranny, it sometimes downshifts hard when stopping. It does this when the mph is between 20-35. It feels like the car jumps forward a little.

Second, and this has happened only a few times, the rpms will go up but the car won't accelerate. This has only happened after I have come to a complete stop or a rolling stop. Engine flarring is minimal, but it shouldn't do it. There is also some hesitation before the car actually accelerates.

I think my current mpg is horrible. My '98 Camry always averaged over 24mpg and was usually around 26 or 27. I can't believe my last tank was only 18.5mpg. I don't drive very aggressively, I haven't used the A/C once, and have only turned the heat on a few times.
  • jgfanjgfan Member Posts: 9
    Good luck!! I have had my '07 Camry 4-cyl. in to the dealer three times and they insist there is nothing wrong. They also say that they can not do anything to the engine unless the "check engine" light comes on. I guess mechanics today don't know how to work on a car unless the computer tells them what to do. Ahhh technology. Let us know what happens.
  • jgfanjgfan Member Posts: 9
    I TOTALLY agree with you! I have had my '07 Camry since March, I believe. I have never gotten over 21 MPG city!! I have noticed the same things as you, but when I take it in, they say there is nothing wrong and that the mileage is within the range it should be. I have NEVER had a 4-cyl car get this bad gas mileage!! I am confinced it has something to do withe the transmission. The thing shifts at odd times and even feels as if it might stall when I slow down of glide to a stop and then give it gas again.

Everyone I have talked to that has owned a Camry told me we would get BETTER mileage than the sticker showed. So, iwas expecting to get at least 24 city, but it has never been over 21 and usually is around 19. I could have kept my V-6 MPV and got that kind of mileage!! I am beginning to hate this car.
    This is exactly my experience. Hey, I almost get 25 MPG on road trips! Yippee!
    I would say it is very rare to exceed the city EPA rating. OTOH, lots of people regularly exceed the highway rating. Short hops is killer on mileage. Our Highlander, rated at 18mpg, rarely gets better than 15 in the city and in the winter that drops to 13.
    Agree totally. My '04 Camry 4-cyl 4AT goes as low as 22 mpg city, and my 05 4-cyl 5AT has dropped below 20.

It really depends on how you define "city." Is it Manhattan, New York or Manhattan, Kansas? Big difference.

Plus if you start your car up on cold mornings and let it run while you eat breakfast, you're not only getting zero mpg, but also the engine is running in its least efficient mode -- cold idle.
  • vbccvbcc Member Posts: 3
    I’ve just had my second fill up one week later. This should be more representative of my weekly driving. I’m still driving gently since the car is still 1000 total miles. I drove about 50% highway/45% suburban/5% urban.

I fully expect my next week’s numbers to drop due to snow traffic – many, including myself were driving as much as 20 miles below speed limit on the PA turnpike and other highways.

2nd fill-up:

Miles driven: 440.1
    Gallons used: 14.21
    Fuel Economy: 30.97115
    Total miles on odometer at fill-up: 592 miles.

1st fill-up:

Miles driven: 142.2
    Gallons used: 4.56
    Fuel Economy: 31.22807
    Total miles on odometer at fill-up: 152 miles.
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    On my 2006 Solara XLE, I consistently find the computed gas milage to be about 2 MPGs higher than when I calculate it myself upon fill-up. Might there be a way to adjust the indicated to be more accurate? This is particulatly frustrating on road trips when I run out of gas when it is indicated that I still have more miles to go until empty.
    Thanks for you input, Bill
    Maybe that's why the E is on the gas gauge, the fuel light comes onbefore the needle hits "E" and the "range" shows 0 miles.

My trip computer reads 1.2 mpg (4-5%) higher than actual over the 12,000 miles I have kept records. I run from 400-520 miles between fillups and have never come close to running out of gas.

The fuel warning light comes on when the fuel tank goes below 10.5 liters.

The Trip computer calculates mpg by computing the miles driven and fuel used off the #1 fuel injector fuel flow. There is a lot of chance for error in the above calculation.
    Have you actually run out of gas?

I never rely on the trip computer on my '05 XLE -- it's always optimistic for mpg.

I've also never put more than 16.1 gallons in my '04 LE, and the needle was below "E" (no trip computer on this car). Tank capacity is 18.5 on all Camrys from 1997-2007.

I have a receipt from when my son used the '04 car and he managed to get in over 17 gallons. Don't ask me how he ran it so low!
    Our Highlander typically reads about 1 mpg higher than the calculated number. I think they all read high to give the driver a psychological boost. ;)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I think they all read high to give the driver a psychological boost.

Or, conversely, all gas station pumps are rigged to flow "smaller" gallons and give a higher reading than the actual amount of gas pumped.