Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    edited May 2010
    I would have probably given 5w30 a longer chance, 2-3 miles per gallon mpg difference sounds like it might have just been an over-calculation. Other than synthetic vs. dino oil, these oils aren't that much different in weight. Just curious though, you followed Toyota's recommended oil so precisely, yet you through their recommended tire pressures to the wind. You're willing to compromise handling and safety for a few bucks ? I think it's especially important to follow Toyota's recommended tire pressures with the very light touch of the EPS steering.
  • truzzotruzzo Posts: 3
    I hear you. by inflating the tire by only two pounds more I find the handling less mushy. I spoke to a trusted mechanic about it and he seems to think 2 pounds is no big deal, ten pounds maybe.
  • echo2001echo2001 Posts: 17
    Get about 33 MPG Avg 20% city, 80% HWY
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    I've been running 38-40 pounds of air in my '05 Corolla for years with no problems other than the ride being a bit stiffer, but never uncomfortable. I drop the pressure to 38 pounds in the winter when ride becomes stiffer in cold weather.

The increased tire pressure does make a difference with improved handling, fuel economy & tire wear remains excellent & even. Warm weather average is 40 MPG (39 city/41 highway) with a 50/50 mix of driving. This is possible only with the 5 speed manual when using shifting techniques to reduce engine pumping losses. The automatic is great on the highway, but unremarkable in the city.

I had an '02 with the 4 speed auto & hated it because of the inherent downshifting/lateshifting resulting in a higher RPM fuel consumption penalty during city driving. (30 city/40 highway)
  • I had same problem.
    The 2010 corolla I bought had only about 28 MPG in highway, about 3 miles lower than city(45MPH). This is definitely a problem they need to face.
    Gas mileage is not a common problem in the 2009 and 2010 Corollas. Notice the dates on the posts on this thread, it seems to be that only a few new Corolla owners believe they have a problem. Gas mileage is very tricky for some owners to track. Perhaps you are having some kind of isolated problem on your vehicle that should be checked. With my partcular style of driving I get 27 city and 39 highway on my "09" Corolla and am very satisfied. These same figures seem to be very consistant with my "92" and "01" Corolla as well. Actually, my "02" Celica and my "86" tercel were very similar as well. All had basically the same motor.
  • i drive on a lot of slow back rodes and small towns and some highway. pretty much zero stop and go city traffic. my 09 automatic le gets probably about 33 average
  • I recently made a 110 mile round trip and averaged 39.3 mpg on the trip!!! Freaking awesome!!! Say what you want about the steering/paint/whatever, but the drive train on this car is flawless. Engine runs like a top and the automatic transmission can barely be felt when it shifts gears. 39 mpg is why you buy this car.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    I agree!

We recently had a Corolla "S" rental with the 1.8L engine and auto tranny for a few days while my wifes RAV4 was in the dealers shop for a hard to find problem.

In local driving I averaged in the high 30s mpg. With some stop signs and traffic lights and little traffic. My wife averaged in the mid 30s commuting to work, with medium traffic and several traffic lights and stop signs and a bit of stop and go. . For comparison she averages 22-24 with the Rav4 auto and 2.5L 4 cylinder. I took it on a short trip on back roads, with just me in the car and averaged in the mid 40s. We took it to church with 3 inside and averaged 41+ mpg.

These mileages are from the on board dash gauge and it is likely a bit optimistic. However when comparing it to the gauged mileages we are getting on our Honda Ridgeline V6 and Rav4, the Corolla is a winner by a long shot. And yes, the tranny shifts were almost un detectable unless I monitored the tach.

Great little car.

Kip
    Oh yeah! The steering in these cars is awesome, I've been saying that all along on the EPS Steering board. I have a 2009 Corolla and never had a problem. I get 39 MPG consistanly on the highway and A.C. on with my 2001 Corolla as well as my 2009 Corolla.
  • My 2005 gets 38 mpg hwy, my 2009 (I drove for 2 years) got 40 mpg hwy and now my 2010 gets 32 mpg hwy!!! I've had it in the shop and "nothing is wrong" and was suggested to add HEET to each tank of gas! My last 5 tankfuls have been from different stations, which eliminates the " bad tank" bit. It got better mileage at first, now it's crap, drives like it has an anchor off the back! I'm so disappointed! I'm considering trading it in! I can't afford that, but Toyota is making all kinds of excuses! I can feel they are hiding something, but I don't know what. Now from this forum I realize I am not alone. We need to all write to Toyota and Consumer Protection about it, I mean it isn't safe when I need to try to pass and the power isn't there! Also, at 70mpg the RPMs are at 3000, they are 2300-2400 on my 2009 one. There is something wrong and I'm getting mad that Toyota won't admit it! I am now driving 60 mph on the highway, to try to get the mileage up.
    32 miles per gallon highway and your dissappointed ? ? ? Even Toyota only advertises the manual transmission as getting 35 miles per gallon highway. One thing I would suggest is make sure you are driving in the "D"side of the "D/3" selection on the shifter. I've read some people think they are in "D" but are actually driving fulltime in "3". The shifter must be moved all the way to the left when driving in the "D/3" selection. This would certainly explain the loss of power when passing.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    32 mpg is horrible for a Corolla with a manual on the highway. My manual Accord gets 40 mpg easily at 65 mph, and has averaged a calculated 34.5 mpg over its 106,000 mile lifetime.

EPA is a joke - especially for manuals. My car is only rated 31 highway.

It does sound like you are not getting into high gear, but the newer corollas should be about 2,820 rpm at 70 mph with the automatic and over 3,000 rpm with the manual.
  • smknipesmknipe Posts: 3
    Is the "D" side on the right or the left? I haven't paid much attention to it but I thought it was marked "3-D" and the "D" is to the right in my 2011 LE. I'll check today at lunch...
    Even so my average (calculated by dividing the mileage traveled- the difference in odometer readings between fill-ups- by the amount of gas it took to fill up) thus far is an unimpressive 27.99 MPG; even though the indicator in the dash says a suspicious "31.9" MPG. This is still an improvement for me (coming from a Land Rover Discovery at about 17 MPG), but disappointing considering many of the posts here, and considering that other than myself, my car is empty and this car is split at least 80/20 highway/city driving mileage-wise, and 60/40 time-wise...
    Since I'm of course not in my car right now, I really can't remember either what side the "3" and "D" are on but all you have to do is push it to the side "D" is on. Trust me this will make a difference in MPG. I made the mistake of driving my 2009 Corolla in "3" instead of "D" for my first three tank fulls before I realized my mistake.
    Yeah I drove in 3 during the test drive without realizing it, and remembering that gave me brief hope that perhaps that was my issue, but alas, "D" is on the right and so that is not why for me...

image">
    I just bought my Corolla on Monday, is it possible that I am getting 28 MPG because the engine is not "broken in," or is that a myth on modern vehicles?
    I know this isn't going to make you feel any better but I'd take 28 mpg. no problem. I get 24 mpg on my new Corolla driving 70% city and 30% highway. I would say I'm a little heavier on the accelerator than most people, but certainly not a lead foot by any means. I've had several Corollas, some new and some used, and I've never been able to get more than 24 mpg. driving 70% city and 30% highway. That being said, I can get 40 mpg. highway no problem even with the air conditioner on.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    City driving is very hard on mpg. Combine trips so the engine is always warm. Avoid idleing (no drive through etc.) Easy on the gas - don't be the first one away from the light. anticipate stops so that you coast down to the stop. Never let the engine warm up, just start it and drive away (this will not hurt the engine). Put a little extra air in the tires and use 0w-xx synthetic motor oil. Never go over the speed limit. The faster you drive the more gas you use. Buy a stick shift if you can drive one - much more control and much better mpg even if the EPA says otherwise.

All these things will help.
  • etho1416etho1416 Posts: 18
    2009 corolla base model manual transmission.

I drive 95% highway, usually alone in the car. I drive the speed limit on the highway (occasionally a bit under). Going 55mph for long drives I average 48mpg and going 65 I average 42mpg (with summer gas at least, winter gas is a bit lower mpg for each speed). I use 5w-30 mobil 1 full synthetic.

If I do a bit of coasting down hills I can get 50mpg.