Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    Is anybody out there????????
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    It's Thanksgiving, not many people around.
  • Although I'm in Wisconsin and the car is mainly used for city travel, I'm still a little bit upset about this.
    BTW, I tested the mpg before the first tank of gas was empty when it got to 100 miles. Does anyone think it could give a better number when it is over 600-700 miles?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,428
    How many rpm's does the automatic Corolla turn at 60 mph. The manual is about 2,300.
  • I have a 2005 Corolla LE with automatic and about 7000 miles on it. I have been getting very disappointing gas mileage. In all city driving, I've only been getting about 20 mpg. I live in Wisconsin where it's normally cold in the winter (but not this year). We don't have reformulated gas here. In the fall, I only got 24 - 26 in mixed driving. That was without the air or heat on. It's not the way I drive because I've gotten good gas mileage from previous cars I've owned. My other car is a Subaru Outback with manual transmission that I get the same mileage rom as the Corolla. I've taken it to the dealer and they've run a scan but could find nothing wrong. The guy there said it's not unusual for the same model of cars and trucks to get a lot different mileage. I've even tried filling up at different gas stations. Any ideas? Otherwise, I really like this car.
  • gangreengangreen Posts: 1
    I get very close to the same mileage. If I drive at 60 on cruise, I get 40-41 mpg. If I step it up to 65-75 my mileage drops to 34-35mpg. On trips, I can't drive only 60 as it would just take longer than I could bear. Wish something could be done to get 40mpg at 70 mph.
    "Wish something could be done to get 40mpg at 70 mph."

Buy a Corolla with a manual transmission and put a lot of air in the tires. :)
  • Most salesmen will blow smoke up your butt; whatever it takes to sell a car. I got 35+ mpg on my very first tank, driving from the dealer to my home, about 100 miles away. I bought the 2006 LE with auto. With approx. 1500 miles on the car I got 38.2 mpg at 70-75 mph; 36.5 mpg at 80-85 mph, on a trip to N. Carolina from NY. This was with the temperature around 55 degrees outside, (if it matters). These are great cars for the $. I paid $17000 even before tax and tags, with wheels and a roof. I'm extrememy happy with my car. I came from a maxima, but started to freak out this past summer when the gas prices soared. I saw the writing on the wall and made the switch to a reasonable car. Never looked back.
  • I'm in the hunt for a economy car that gets 38-44 mpg on the road and 30-33 city. The Honda Civics are NOT getting the EPA of 30-40, neither are any others. Is there REALLY HIGHER MPG had with the stick?? WHat is the final drive ratio with the stick vs the auto?? I do not have a brochure on a Corolla so I don't have this info. HAve you had any issues with your corolla?? Since you have had the car about 6-7 months is your mpgs improving or remaining the same??? Assuming you bought the car last fall. Any info. would be appreciated. Hope all goes well for you and you get many happy miles. :) :D ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My girlfriend drove us to Huntsville yesterday in her Corolla. She got 203 miles on 6.1 gallons of gas when all was said and done, which is 34MPG when rounded.

The A/C was on, the cr.ctrl was used most of the time, and it has 20,000 miles on it.
  • dsouthdsouth Posts: 2
    :) Hey Ya'll!!!

I have a '97 Corolla CE 1.6 lt. 100 HP @ 5600 RPM. Still works like new (well, almost). My Brother and Father have newer models of the Corolla and tell me that there's room for improvement. One of the things my brother noticed on his '99 was that the aerodynamics we're awful compared to my '97. I can ride down the interstate at 80 MPH and notice some road noise and mild wind resistance in my '97, so my bro lets me test drive his '99 and WOW, he wasn't kiddin!!! The '99 can't handle 80 MPH on a breezy day, it was being pushed around like an ice cube on a hot skillet!!! the '99 has a stronger engine (120 HP @ 5600 RPM) but lacks the aerodynamics and weight to make it all worth while. My dad's '02 is similar to the '99. I have a good car that's almost 10 years old and one day (I dred this day), I'll have to get a new car. I'm sad that the corolla has been shrunk into a compact sized car. I'd like to see Toyota make a mid-sized corolla like my '97. Oh well...that's all for now. Tell me if you've noticed the same on the '98 and later model Corollas.
  • dsouthdsouth Posts: 2
    I can get 30 MPG @ 80 MPH with my '97 Corolla CE. No Joke, Great Car!!! :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Part of it (wind tossability)may have to do with different tires. Do you have different tires than he does? It would make a (possibly negligable) difference. My old Michelins did MUCH better than the cheaper Goodyear Integrity's I have on my 96 Accord when it comes to handling.
  • keptnamekeptname Posts: 51
    Hi,

Just purchased a Corolla LE about a month ago. I'm happy to say that I've been getting 30 MPG city.
  • Note: all the units I use here will be in metric...dunno how to convert them into miles

Hmm...I just recently measured my Corolla's mileage when I took a trip from Toronto to Kingston (approximately 250km apart). Good day, good weather. Driving between 100km/h and 105km/h (approximately 60 to 65 mph?), by the time I get to Kingston I got 5.6L/100km. Which is pretty good.

How do you convert to MPG? :confuse:
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Try dividing km by 8, then multiply by 5
    100 / 8 = 12.5 x 5 = 62.5 mph I think this is it.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    hmmmmmm...so you drove about 160 miles, give or take. You used about 14L of gas. That's about 3 3/4 gallons of gas. 160 miles divided by 3.75 gallons = 42.66 mpg. Pretty darn good, even if it was a flat drive in good weather going about 65 mph!

Those are pretty round numbers, of course. :blush:

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I've been following the break in instructions. No 55MPH, no highway, only city stop light driving. I got 32MPG my first tank. I hear this might improve to 34MPG as it gets broken in, that would be awesome!

I will warn you.. I've been a "2 footed, ride the brake driver" in the past, but I'm trying for good MPG driving this new car. The tach on the LE helps a lot. If you take it easy on a start you can keep the RPM's under 2,000 and still not PO the people behind you.

I still catch myself goosing it from a light, breaking hard at stops, but I'm getting better. 32MPG 100% in town from someone that doesn't drive like grandma all the time, and the car isn't even broken in is nice....:)

My goal is 34MPG in town. And it seems like I've got a great chance at doing it after the break-in period. I was looking at getting a Yaris, but for only $1,000 more than a stripped down Yaris I got a totally loaded Corolla LE ($13,995 including cruise and CD changer) The good part is I think I'll get the same MPG as the little Yaris, but have a classy ride to boot! - Joe
  • agalasagalas Posts: 38
    My 94 Corolla, with 147,500 miles, runs almost like new, and gets 35.4 mpg, combined real world mileage!

What the hell is wrong with Toyota and Honda as well?

Consumer reports claims the 2006 Corolla gets 29 mpg combined, and the Yaris gets 36 according to CD!

How can it be that 12 years of car tech advancement has yielded absolutley no increase in mileage?

With gas at $3.00, mileage is what counts! Yet car makers are playing a shell game with us!

The Hybrid Civic = 37 mpg according to CR
    Prius = 44 mpg accroding to CR

My Corolla can nearly achieve the Hybrid Civic's numbers and with 1994 technology!

The 1997 Civic HX(with CVT) got 44 mpg! Same as the prius but $10,000 less, and with 9 year old tech!

I hope oil prices hit $80 and stay there! The economy grew at 4.8% in Q1 so there is no threat of recession, and honestly America needs to wake up and get it'd head out of the sand! 30 or even 35mpg is not good mileage for a 2006 car!

The new Fit, from Honda, gets 35mpg! Same as my Corolla!

In England they sell a 1.2 liter version that gets 45mpg, real world, American equivalent!

Offer that over here damn it!

Its true what CD says, automakers want to get Americans freaked out about gas prices and into 25K hybrids, when they could get equivalent mileage from a 15K eco car!

How about this! I will pay Toyota 25K for an eco box that also has hybrid and is a diesel!

In Europe Renault and Peugot are coming out with 80mpg hybrid diesles! We have nothing like that in the states!

Only when Americans get raped at the pump will they cry out for sensible cars! Only then will they stop the outrageous "bigger is better" idealogy!

When the new Corolla comes out, as well as the redesigned Fit, I hope gas is at $4.00 so that these companies finally offer us those 1.2 and 1.3 liter engines.

The horsepower wars are irrelevant! Bring on the mileage wars!
    Agree Hp wars are irrelevant, but I don't think you can compare your mileage to the CR mileage. I think you will find that on the CR tests the 1994 Corolla got worse mileage than the current model.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    "I'm sad that the corolla has been shrunk into a compact sized car. I'd like to see Toyota make a mid-sized corolla like my '97."

Huh? I think you are confused. I have a '97 Corolla as well and it is significantly smaller than the current generation Corolla in every measurable statistic. The current Corolla is longer, wider, taller heavier and has more trunk space than the '97 by at least 5 inches (and 300 pounds) all around.

That is why the added technology doesn't yield better MPG in these newer cars. They are all bigger and heavier than their 10 year old counterparts.

The '97 Corolla is very comparable in size to the new Yaris sedan, actually (same wheelbase, width, weight, and trunk size).
  • niceguy2niceguy2 Posts: 1
    First tank (70% hwy) = 35mpg
    Second tank (90% hwy) = 38.5mpg
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    Had a 03 corolla, than to a Rav 4 and now a 06 civic coupe with nav and city driving only after about 2,800 miles on the clock, I get 26.8 mpg, no hard stops or quick starts. My older 03 corolla did about same. Now looking for a hybrid in the corolla if one ever comes out.
  • 325ciguy325ciguy Posts: 2
    I have a 03 corolla. It gets 32 in the city. I had an 02 BMW 325 CI and the corolla has enough zip to make me not miss the bimmer. Not to mention excellent handeling going around curves. I bet the 94 can't claim that.
  • To add some data points:
    city 27-28MPG in stop and go traffic, AC on.
    Hwy 30-31MPG with 80MPH, AC on.
    Last time on Hwy trip I did some speed experiments:
    77.5MPH=33MPG
    75MPH=36MPG

I used to complain that poor MPG. Now I know why :-)
  • xkmailxkmail Posts: 36
    toyota must have done something to put a sticker on the window saying 41mpg with a stick shift.
    I got a 1992 volvo constantly gets 25mpg.
    I was gonna get a corolla se, but not for 8mpg more.
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    "toyota must have done something to put a sticker on the window saying 41mpg with a stick shift.
    I got a 1992 volvo constantly gets 25mpg.
    I was gonna get a corolla se, but not for 8mpg more."

yes, they built a car that, when not driven 75+ mph on the highway, can and does achieve 40+ mpg. there are lots of posts on this forum of people getting close to or above 41 mpg w/ the manual tranny. i have yet to get below 41.5 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. so, thats +16.5 mpg over your volvo. even with predominantly city driving i still get 34-37 mpg.

on a side note: people should realize that if they already own a paid for car with crappy mileage, financing a new car with outstanding mileage will likely never pay for itself. $250 would be considered a pretty low car payment these days. to realize $250 in monthly gas savings, you'd have to drive a ludicrous number of miles per month. new cars are about the poorest "investment" one can make.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Posts: 71
    on 06 LE 5 speed - 37 mpg with 100% city/country driving. NO HIGHWAY. I'm pleased.
  • rar256rar256 Posts: 2
    2006 Model LE, from delivery, highway 47 MPG (standard Trans,5ps.) at 70 MPH. I took a trip north approx. 2400 Miles and was astonished to find my average hung at 46.5MPG. I used cruise all the time. Never allowed the tach to exceed 3000PPM's..Since than I have averaged 35.5MPG running around. I find the secret is never allow the tack to go over 2000 RPM's until you get to the highest gear (5th). Anticipate stopping and kick it out of gear and coast to stop. I also use cruise around town whenever possible. Mileage will drop in cold weather by as much as 5 MPG. Cold air is denser. I live in Fl but even here temps below 50F effect mileage. Do not carry anything in vehicle unless needed, weight plays a big part in MPG. Do not rest foot on clutch pedal or hand on shift knob. By the way my wife drives a 2003 Camry Auto. I have taught her how to follow the same trick by releasing pressure on accelerator when tach hits 2000 RPMS to force vehicle to shift up to next gear. Her mileage went from 23 to 25.5 around town. One note about Toyota. I have contacted them to see if the 2007 corollas will be delivered with CV Trans.(constant Velocity) in lieu of their auto trans. At this time they do not have any info. In principle they sound better than the auto they use now. But if you researched Honda and they do not deliver real world advertised mileage I would not worry. Toyota has an excellent engineering Dept.and they will use the best they have available. I have been driving Toys since VW went belly up with the Rabbit. For my money they are the best. Good Luck
  • spex2000spex2000 Posts: 4
    I'm not an owner but last summer we rented a Corolla out of the Atlanta airport and drove it over 1700 miles in 11 days. There were 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids and at times we had our 18 year old that we were visiting at Ft. Benning. The car was FULL of our suitcases etc and we had the AC on constantly (this was in August). Our vacation to GA and Florida mileage was typically 35 MPG. I am so impressed that I'm considering a Corolla on my next purchase and I'm a Hyundai owner/fan! :P