Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• dkeaniedkeanie Posts: 16
    I had the same problem although i have got a 95 1.6 Corolla.
    First i git myself a bottle of Redex and followed the tips on how to get more mpg by the way you drive,and it has worked for me. I have just filled my car up today it took 45 litrres which gave me 380 miles which works out as 38.39 mpg :) which isn't bad.
    I will be using Redex more often, and I am driving differently now. Couldn't beleive the price the petrol is.............£1.11. 9 ! what is this country coming too we are not all millionaires. :sick:
  • jimwwhitejimwwhite Posts: 16
    Now that you've had your '09 for a couple of months what do you think of it? Are you still getting the 44+ MPG? I'm looking at one this fall and I was pleased to read that you were getting such good gas mileage. I was considering a Prius because I drive almost 120 miles a day roundtrip to work and it's about 95% interstate with no slowdowns along the way. But if I can get into a Corolla that gets 44+ I'll go that way. I can't justify spending the extra $$$ the dealers have jacked the Prius up.

Thanks!
    Jim
  • I doubt anyone averages 44+ MPG with any Corolla. My 2005 has only gotten 44 twice in 3.5 years. I "average" about 40 Summer/34 Winter in mixed driving. If you want the highest MPG, avoid the automatic(will average only low/mid 30's mixed driving in warm weather), the sunroof and leather seats(extra weight). Regarding the 2009; I doubt the mileage is higher since it weighs more than previous model with basically the same engine. The revised EPA estimates are also lower on the newer models(37 vs 35 Highway). Get the 5 speed; learn how to drive efficiently(stay off those brakes & keep RPM under 2500 whenever possible) and you should be very pleased.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    With the automatic, the 2009 is rated one point higher than the 2008 was (with the 1.8): 27/35 now, vs 26/35 for the 2008.

Sadly, the manual is now rated two points WORSE for both city and highway.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    I don't care what the EPA says. A good driver can beat the automatic with a stick. Except maybe in ideal conditions for the auto (where it never shifts and stays in top gear) 70 (?) mph on a flat highway.
  • Tha automatic adds about 100 pounds to the weight of the car. A skilled driver with a manual will always come out ahead of the automatic; especially in heavy city driving. On the open road the main factor is speed. Anything over 60; and the mileage starts to drop.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    A skilled driver with a manual will always come out ahead of the automatic; especially in heavy city driving.

Traditionally, I would have agreed with you without a doubt.

I question that possibility nowadays with the advent of CVT's. They are lighter in weight than traditional automatics, and can be programmed to maximize the powerband/fuel economy of the car.

I'm not contesting your claim about the manual getting better MPG, but it does make me wonder if it is still true, or at least, much more difficult to do now...

Just a thought....
  • If you can find an issue of the June 08 "Automobile" magazine, there is an excellent article about every available transmission in todays cars.(5 different categories)

For the CVT the article states;
    "PROS-Silky operation, potent passing"
    "CONS-Minimal fun, high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency"

Meanwhile for the manual;
    "PROS-Utmost efficiency and control"
    "CONS-Taxing in stop and go traffic"

It's a great article; unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find the article on their website
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    And a modern automatic (with lock-up torque converter) or manual can out-mpg a CVT while cruising on the highway, for the reason the article stated: "high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency." They are of help in city driving, especially vs. an automatic, but not as much on the highway.

But then, the Corolla isn't offered with a CVT, at least in North America.
    And a modern automatic (with lock-up torque converter) or manual can out-mpg a CVT while cruising on the highway, for the reason the article stated: "high pressure hydraulics that sap efficiency." They are of help in city driving, especially vs. an automatic, but not as much on the highway.

Well, I was referring to city driving...guess I didn't make that clear. Of course, a manual should always beat any other transmission on the highway, since it is a direct-connection, and friction has all but been eliminated with roller/ball bearings and modern lubricants...and, less weight, usually.

So, I guess we are in agreement...
  • yobry1yobry1 Posts: 1
    you need to re-do the math. 45 liters= 11.89 gallons. 380 miles divided by 11.89 gallons equals= 31.96 mpg, not 38.39.
    I have a 97 corolla 1.6 liter engine with a 3 speed automatic tranny and I am getting 34 mpg combined (city and highway driving). I get 38.7 mpg on the highway which is 30% more than the EPA estimate and I live in the mountains. How I do it? I put 4 more psi in my tires, I have a K&N air filter, and I put 2.5 ounces of Acetone per 10 gallons of gas when I fill up. Now I know the acetone mpg increase is SUPPOSEDLY a myth, and even Mythbusters busted this myth. What Mythbusters and everyone else don't realize is the first tank of gas with Acetone is basically cleaning your fuel system so you wont see much of an increase in mpg. You will see an increase in mpg on the second fill-up but it's the 3rd fill-up is when you see your maximum increase in mileage. I have been using Acetone in my corolla now for 2 years and my car has more horsepower and idles sooooo smooth now. Adding acetone does not work the same in all cars. I only get extra 3 mpg in my 85 Ranger pickup (V6-5 Speed) with 3 oz pr 10 gallons and 5 xtra mpg in my 92 Ranger pickup (4 cyl-5 Speed). I tried it in my Dad's 2008 Dakota quad cab 3.7 liter engine during a cross country road trip with NO increase at all, we actually got 1 mpg less. Like I said acetone does not work in all cars. For those of you who want to try it in your car, you must experiment to find the correct acetone to gas ratio. Mine is 2.5oz per 10 gallons gas. Try 1 oz pr 10 gals gas first time and record your mileage, then try 2 oz pr 10 gals gas and record it, if your mpg increased the try 3oz pr 10 gals gas. It's recomended NOT to use more than 4 oz pr 10 gals gas. When you start to see a decrease in mpg, then cut back 1/2 oz pr 10 gals gas at a time till you find your peak mpg. Thats how I got mine at 2.5 oz pr 10 gals gas and I think it would be the same for all 92-97 corollas with the 1.6 liter engine. You can purchase Acetone at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot in the Paint Dept. I recommend buying PURE Acetone from a Beauty Supply Store as the more pure the Acetone, the better the increase in mpg. Also, ALWAYS use a funnel when put it in your tank as acetone is a paint thinner and the ingredient used in fingernail polish remover. I buy a 1 gallon jug from Sally Beauty Supply. I have a 1 pint plastic fingernail polish remover bottle, a funnel (the long skinny orange one from walmart automotive section, and a plastic 1 cup measuring cup with the ounces on the side to measure, all in a small cardboard box in my trunk.
    ENJOY YOUR SAVINGS
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Posts: 15
    just had 1st fillup with a 60/40 mixture of city highway driving, getting 33.6 mpg! good show from 18mpg in my 98 rodeo, this is with a new 09 corolla le
  • dkeaniedkeanie Posts: 16
    you need to re-do the math. 45 liters= 11.89 gallons. 380 miles divided by 11.89 gallons equals= 31.96 mpg, not 38.39.
    I don't think that Torquecars.com mpg convertor is wrong buddy.38.39mpg is right.,
    :) .I have recently just filled up and am now getting 39.15 mpg using Redex and going by the driving tips for getting more mpg. :D
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    He's probably using imperial gallons, as we do in Canada and the UK..... 1 gallon = 4.54 litres
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    Look at the mileage the 09 got in this test, compared to rivals, (imperial mpg or L/100km)
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/50litre/
  • arb5643arb5643 Posts: 2
    My 2000 Corolla, with 37,000 miles (I'm the little old lady who drives to church and the grocery store !) gets 27 mpg in mostly stop and go city traffic. The only repair I've had to make was to replace the Oxygen Sensor, and of course, routine maintenance.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    I just started a new job this week, 60 miles each way mostly highway. My 2002 Corolla S with 5 speed usually gets between 30-35 MPG around town in mixed driving. For this commute, I drive really relaxed, upshifting early and letting the car coast in gear as much as I can get away with. Average highway speed is between 65 to 70. I just filled up yesterday and my mileage was 43.42 MPG. Needless to say I was very happy, but hope this isn't a fluke. I'll update on future fillups.
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Hoopit........or Tbarry........any of you guys keep really accurate records like i do with my camry?... i.e.
    60 mph 39-40.058 mpg
    65 mph 1 tank @ 40.059 yes it get about the same at 60 as 65
    70 mph 37 mpg
    75 mph 33-35 mpg
    80 mph 30-31 mpg
    82 mph 29.97 this is when i drop under 30 mpg
    82+ mpg goes down significantly. like if i was to do 90 mph prob 24mpg

above is with my 2003 camry 4 cyl auto, i travel every week same route from So Calif to Phoenix... Every stinkin week, lol these are extremly consistent numbers. But the high speed traveling over 82 kills my mpg. been considering a corolla.

So, my question is, with a corolla, what is the mph breaking point where it really begins to frop like my 03 camry does at 82.??

Due to my 4500 miles a month, i have to trade out cars quite often. my 03 camry had 39,000 mi on Jan 1st. now it has about 70,000. so 31,000 in 6 months. So i want to sell it while it has good value still.

Any help would be appreciated

Later Caaz
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Hoopit........or Tbarry........any of you guys keep really accurate records like i do with my camry?... i.e.
    60 mph 39-40.058 mpg
    65 mph 1 tank @ 40.059 yes it get about the same at 60 as 65
    70 mph 37 mpg
    75 mph 33-35 mpg
    80 mph 30-31 mpg
    82 mph 29.97 this is when i drop under 30 mpg
    82+ mpg goes down significantly. like if i was to do 90 mph prob 24mpg

above is with my 2003 camry 4 cyl auto, i travel every week same route from So Calif to Phoenix... Every stinkin week, lol these are extremly consistent numbers. But the high speed traveling over 82 kills my mpg. been considering a corolla.

So, my question is, with a corolla, what is the mph breaking point where it really begins to frop like my 03 camry does at 82.??

Due to my 4500 miles a month, i have to trade out cars quite often. my 03 camry had 39,000 mi on Jan 1st. now it has about 70,000. so 31,000 in 6 months. So i want to sell it while it has good value still.

Any help would be appreciated

Later Caaz
  • Don't count on great mileage with the Corolla over 75 MPH (even with the manual) It is geared too low for good MPG numbers over 65-70 MPH. If I go over 65-70; 43MPG is not attainable.(Once you go over 3000 RPM; mileage drops fast!!) The manual Corolla really shines with it's "average' mileage abilities during city driving, when the RPMs average 2500 or less. I don't know of any car; except maybe a diesel that will do extremely well at 75+ MPH. My warm weather "average" remains at 41 with a 50/50 mix of city/highway driving. The manual will beat the automatic by 8-10 MPG in city driving if driven correctly. The highway difference is about 2-3 MPG; unless the automatic is downshifting frequently. The Corolla automatic needs an Economy/Power switch like Mazda used on the MX-6. The Corolla automatic downshifts on the slightest incline; which kills mileage.(I hated the 4 speed automatic in my 2002 Corolla; too much unecessary high RPM operation. Only able to average low 30's with 50/50 mix)
  • mikebalmikebal Posts: 8
    I will soon be replacing the original Goodyear Integra tires on my 05 Corolla. Can anyone suggest which replacement tires would get the highest mileage for me? Good tread wear is also a consideration. Thanks in advance, Mike
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    I replaced my Integras on my 2001 Corolla with Goodyear Allegra tires made exclusively for Sam's Club. These tires have excellent treadwear and traction at a very good price. I would highly recommend them to anyone.
    I was never impressed with the Integra series tires in wet driving conditions, so I replaced the tires on my 04 with Goodyear Assurance Tripletread tires....made night and day difference. As far as I know, there wasn't any MPG change....
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    4.9L/100km = 48.2 mpg (US)
    Speed: 55mph to 70 mph
    Stop every 60 miles or so.

Interesting article!
  • Hey guys, what am I doing wrong?

2005 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl
    K&N Air Filter
    Recent Oil/filter change, trans fluid

Stop & Go traffic in Los Angeles
    A/C on 50-70% of the time
    a little aggressive driving.

22 MPG average.... on my 13.2 US Gal tank, I've not broken 300 miles yet. Can A/C and aggressive driving do THAT much of a difference? I read about 27 MPG and cry, I read about 35 and up and I wail.

Help! :cry:
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    >Ok, what am I doing wrong?...... Can A/C and aggressive driving do THAT much of a difference?

Absolutely!

Keeping in mind that really heavy traffic and lots of idling and moving the car, from stop, burns a lot of fuel. Here are some tips that may help. Don't get upset with me. Just read and take what you need and leave the rest.

With an automatic, anytime you press the throttle hard enough, so that the RPM gets much above 2200 before the tranny shifts to the next gear, you are wasting fuel.

Every time you touch the brake, you just wasted gas. The more brake you need, the more gas you wasted. Let me explain that!

There is a stop sign ahead. You can let off the gas back here and coast up to it, or you can stay on the gas until the last minute and brake hard. If you choose the second option, you burned unnessary fuel, used more of the brake lining, and wore extra off the tires. You still had to stop!

If there were cars waiting at the sign and you coasted, you may have had to stop only once, as they may be gone by the time you get there.. If you rush to it, you may start and stop several times before you get through it. Same holds true for traffic lights. Rushing to a "RED" light, so you can stop, waste a lot of fuel, brakes and tires tread. Take your foot off the throttle back here and the light may be green when you get there.

If you think about it, the reason a car gets better mileage on the road than around town is because, on the road, the brakes are not used as often and constantly getting the car up to speed is much less.

Tailgating, so that you are constantly accelerating and braking, waste an enormous amount of fuel and you aren't getting there any faster than if you back off a few car lengths and drive with a steady foot. This will also greatly reduce the possibility of a rear end collision. The car in front suddenly brakes hard and you either hit them or manage to stop, but the car tailgating you didn't have time and plowed into you. If you had been farther back you may not have had to brake that hard and the car behind you would have had to deal with a slow down rather than a panic stop.

On the road, a steady foot at lower speeds requires the car to push less air and the engine is turning less RPM and uses considerably less fuel than trying to accelerate around everything on the road.

While it may be true that the K&N filters may "Add" a few horse power, it is at near "Red Line". If that is where you drive all the time, don't expect much in the way of mileage.

Consider this. The mfg are squeezing all the mileage they can out of these "Economy" engines. They also consider longevity of the engines. You can believe that if a free breathing air filter/intake would add anything to both, they would use it. They tune the engines to the type of filter/intake they establish as best for their engines.

Spend an evening reading the various post on these forums. You will find that people with heavy feet burn more fuel. PERIOD! I personally don't understand why someone buys an "Economy" car and does everything they can to burn excessive fuel. To me, "Bragging Rights" goes to the person that got 40 + MPG on that road trip. Not to the person that got poor mileage but passed everything they could. But that is just me. :)

Regards,
    Kip
  • arb5643arb5643 Posts: 2
    My 2000 Corolla (37,000 miles) started to decrease in mpg down to 22 or 23 mpg in stop and go driving, although my driving habits remained consistent. Then my "check engine light" came on, and I took it to my mechanic. He went over the innards of my car and told me that I needed a new oxygen sensor, which I told him to replace. After the repair was complete, my mileage increased to 26.5 - 27 mpg. So.....you might want to check your oxygen sensor. It can make a difference.
  • arb, that's a great tip on the o2 sensor. And Kip, no worries on 'getting mad', as that is EXACTLY what I asked for. Thank you both very, very much!
  • rvsslcrvsslc Posts: 2
    In April I started using a new fuel additive in my 2003 Toyota Corolla with 78K miles. I was skeptical at first but was given a free trial sample and with gas locally now over $4.00/gallon, I decided I had nothing to lose by trying it. My baseline MPG in a combination of city and freeway driving (65%/35%) was 25MPG (estabished over three tanks). I started using the additive called Engine Boost 2.0. I have since put seven "treated" tanks through the car and with one tank saw a 29% increase in gas mileage! My average increase over baseline per tank for the seven tanks has been +19%. That is with using the air-con non-stop the last three tanks. With my 13.2 gallon tank and with gas at $4.00/gallon, that means I am getting the equivalent of an additional 2.5 gallons per tank and saving about $10 everytime I fill up. I only add 1/8 of an ounce to 13 gallons and it costs me about $1.50 per tank to save $10! I've never seen an investment with a better return. I also find I have more horsepower and it seems the emissions are cleaner. It's great and I've started using it religiously in my other four cars - Tahoe, Miata, Accent and Mazda3 - with similar results with each car, saving from 6-15% over baseline. That is with the air-con on so I'm sure the actual results will be even better when the weather cools down. My college kids commute to school and our family is saving about $250 a month on gas using this stuff. Has anyone else tried it? (sorry, this sounds a bit like an infomercial but this stuff really works!)
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Interesting post!

Where can Engine Boost 2.0 be purchased?