Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Real World MPG

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    "do the same thing you are recommending: allow my speed to drop in the gear I am in, almost until it bogs, then clutch out and use the foot brake the rest of the way. "

"Once I clutch out when decelerating, I shift it to neutral and release the clutch. I am always below 30 mph at that point anyway, and often below 20"

That's the way I drive also. You are also right about the throwout bearing wear. I believe the way you and I drive is the most correct way in minimizing wear.

My '99 gets 37 mpg on all highway trips at 75 mph - love it.
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    All you guys with new 09 Corollas.... Is it pretty quiet inside?.... im thinking about buying one. thx

Later Caaz
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I was close to purchasing a Civic, but in the end I chose the 09 Corolla because it was a much quieter car on road surfaces.
  • You may want to fill your tanks in the next couple of days to get the last of the higher mileage summer blend. Your mileage will drop because of the oxygenation of the the fuel. The vehicles oxygen sensor will detect a leaner mixture; causing the computer to richen the air/fuel ratio. Seems to me that this changeover won't cut much air pollution if it causes vehicles to burn more fuel. (It will make the oil companies happier!!)Can anybody offer any insight on this??????????

I'm curious to see how much MPG difference this makes to the posters on this forum. My mileage "average" drops from 41 to 34. I just do not understand the reasoning behind doing this.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Interesting! Does this change take place in all areas of the country regardless of climate/seasons?
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    I live in Northeast Ohio and they add the winter additive to our fuel from October through April. On average we get 31 - 33 mpg without the winter additive and 27 - 28 mpg with the winter additive. Part of it could be because of the bad roads and it takes longer to get around when it snows. But most of the drop in mpg is the winter additive. They claim it prevents fuel line freeze ups. ( Condensation in the fuel lines. ) Personally I think it is just a ploy to sell more gas. :shades:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    Many states, including mine (MN), have so-called "winter gas" i.e. up to a 10% ethanol blend year round now. The formula might be tweaked a bit for winter, i.e. to make it vaporize more readily in cold weather, but there's not the big difference any more between summer gas and winter gas, at least not where I live. I did notice though when I was driving through WI a couple of summers ago and filled up at an E0 pump that my fuel economy for the trip home seemed about 10% better than the trip down. Part of that might be attributable to other factors, e.g. having the A/C off, but I bet some of it was the gas.
  • Hello, I need some assistance with a gas mileage issue I'm having. I purchased a brand new 2009 Corolla S around the beginning of november 2008. I 've traveled about 580 miles on the vehicle thus far, city driving mostly and some highway.

The rating is 27 city and 35 highway. I understand the fuel economy varies based on driving habits and conditions but I'm only getting about 230-240 miles on a full tank of gas. Thats about18.2 miles per gallon right? (240miles / 13.2 gallon tank =18.18 mpg) I haven't done any crazy driving with my car. I don't think there's anyway I should be getting such poor mileage on a new corolla. I don't expect 27 city but I should be getting over 23 mpg right?

I took it to the service station where I purchased the vehicle and informed the serviceman what my problem was. He refused to look at it and told me "you need to break in the car some more, 3 to 5 thousand miles and then you'll see it." Is he being truthful or just blowing me off? I don't know much about cars but every single older model toyota I've driven has given me better fuel economy. Maybe I'm wrong and my economy is suppose to improve after I break it in more. I hope this is the case but I am not sure, thats why I'm asking.

Note: I use the type of gas I'm suppose to.- (REGULAR)I've different gas stations as well.

I need some guidance, please help me. thank you for your time.
    Your calculations are flawed. MPG is calculated by the number of miles driven on a tank of gas that you actually are pumping, not the size of your tank. In other words start with a very full tank of gas and start recording your driven mileage immediately. At next fill-up take that number of driven miles on that tank and divide by the actual number of gallons you pumped into your tank on this next fill-up, not the tanks size. This is necessary because you will always have some gas left in your tank even if driven to what you think was empty.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Yes and No even in my break in ( I now have 7000 K) I was getting 27-30mpg range but now 35mpg on a 70 hwy 30 City driving. I would do a few more tanks to verify it. I hope you didn't count the tank it came with as they are NEVER all the way full.

Good Luck

MNF
  • Thank you both for your responses. I ran the gas pretty much down to empty but I'm going to try a few more tanks and calculate it the way you told me to and see what I get. However I seriously doubt its going to result in 26-27 mpg though. Guess time will tell. thanks again I'll post again when i get the results.
    No, you won't get the 26 to 27 mpg. your looking for with your city driving but unless you were able to actually pump 13.2 gallons into your Rolla your calculations were inaccurate. By the way, I also have a new 2009 Rolla and do 95% city driving and can't get better than 23 mpg. in the city. I wasn't expecting better though as I have a 2001 Rolla that also gets the same. Now get them on the highway and I can push 40mpgs. no problem.
  • We have an '09 le corolla. Mpg was 28.5 in town until 10% alcohol was added to all gas available in Florida. It then slipped to 25.0 mpg. Our latest highway calculations were 39.1 and 40.5 mpg at no greater than 60 miles per hour. Faster speeds reduced mpg to 35.7 and 34.9. Those speeds were as great as 80 miles per hour. I used traditional methods to calculate mpg. PS Our car has 3792 miles on it; I have recorded every drop of gas put in this car.
    Yea, that sounds right in line with my city MPG. We also have 10% Ethanol in our gas in PA plus I have a lead foot in the city so I get 23 MPG. or less.
  • Your mileage will vary, but with my 09 Corolla I havn't gotten less than 30 mpg with my day to day driving, even when the car was brand new. After the first couple of tanks of fuel, I'm getting 35 / 36 mpg just driving to work, but I do drive the legal speed limits. The most miles I've gotton out of a tank of fuel has been 480 miles in the summer months. I did notice that using the air cuts about 2 mpg . I have not even tried the car on a long highway cruise, but I'm sure the car will get over 40 mpg on the highway.
    Now when you say day to day driving is that the 5 to 10 minute trips of mostly city driving we were comparing or is that some highway?
  • I bought a new '09 LE last week and did some local running around the Statesville, NC area over the weekend and then this week commuting back and forth to work which was about 60 miles each way. I filled up this morning after 314.9 miles with 8.2 gallons which is a whopping 38.4 mpg!!! My commute is about 95% interstate with no slow downs or serious grades. I set the cruise control to the posted speed and let it go. I do drive very conservatively.

Color me most happy!!!
  • Congratulations on your new '09 LE MPG. I have an '06 5-speed and get about 33MPG city and 42MPG highway. With gas at $1.70/gal (Tucson) that works out to about $0.05/mile for gas in the city. I see dozens of Prius' every day and, while they get a bit better MPG, I feel for them on recovering the higher initial cost over the Corolla. I still think the Corolla is the best bang for the buck from a total operating cost standpoint. Hopefully you will find that to be true also.
  • I love the car, especially the mpg. It has good get up 'n go. It looks nice. I believe it will last a long time like the Volvo 850 it replaces. My only complaint is I could use a tad more leg room. I'm 6'3" and I'd hate to have to do a lot of in town driving. Fortunately I don't. But is anyone out there aware of anything like seat rail extenders for a Corolla?
  • I've had a new '09 LE for three weeks now and on my third tank of gas I got 39.1 MPG. That's 320.6 miles on 8.2 gallons. I drive about 95% interstate with no slowdowns and on flat terrain. It's mostly 65-70 MPH along the way. I set the cruise right at the posted speed and rarely ever have to get over. Nice commuting car. It's got everything I need plus.

I'm a happy camper! :)
  • zhetonzheton Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with my new Hyundai Elantra 08. Car has 4200 miles and gets only 17 mpg in the city. I also went to my dealer and they refused to run any tests on the car explaining that car needs at least 10000 miles to break in. The interesting part, when I drove the vehicle for the first 3500 miles I was getting 22 mpg in the city and 35-41 mpg highway. After the first oil change and fuel pump replacement (recall) my mileage dropped dramatically. I am just wondering if somebody has any ideas what happened to the car? Thanx.
  • I have noticed that my 2007 Corolla used to get 30 mpg city driving here in Florida. Presently, I am getting only 23-27 mpg. The dealership told me this is due to the ethanol in the gas. I want to know if this is entirely accurate.
  • Gasoline is oxygenated in the cooler months.(October-April) The added oxygen is sensed by your cars computer, and it adjusts the air/fuel mixture to compensate. This results in decreased fuel economy; but less air pollution. Doesn't seem to make sense, but that is what you are experiencing.(More fuel consumed; but less pollution; WTF!!)
  • That seems like an extreme dropoff - I have tracked my MPG on a 2006 manual over 1yr now and hold pretty steady in city at 32 to 34MPG. I would make sure you check your tire inflation (which seems to have the most adverse impact). And of course your driving habits might have changed.
  • My 2008 Toyota Corolla LE 5-speed manual has achieved an average of 46mpg over the it's first year of life. (13000 miles) I use the hypermiling techniques taught at the www.cleanmpg.com website. The ScanGuage II is a very useful device that shows several pieces of fuel economy information simultaneously. Have found that a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) reading of 19 gives really great MPG on the highway.
    Sorry but regarless of what kind of sensor your using unless you converted that puppy to a hybrid there ain't no way your gonna average 46MPG. Perhaps you might gain a high of 46 with highway driving but you'll never average 46 highway and city combined.
    Maybe he only drives it on long commutes on the highway? Obviously very few stops, and at a low speed e.g. 55-60 vs. 70-80. Probably over-inflated tires and in a warm weather state too. I can see where 46 mpg would be possible under ideal conditions, but hard to get in general. Try getting 46 mpg today in the Twin Cities for example, with -25 F (that's NOT the windchill) and traffic crawling along due to black ice. Not likely.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    I don't find "run2w8s" report to be unbelievable, especially under good driving conditions.

I have a Scan Gauge ll and it gives extremely accurate readouts, once it has received corrected data from fill ups, actual speed, and so forth.

Recently took a short trip, with rolling hills the norm. About 20% was backroads with a few traffic lights. About 80% was X-Way at 55 mph. The occational flat sections of road at 55mpg showed 31-35 mph. Average mileage for the trip (going) was 28.2 mpg.

Coming back I stepped up the speed to 60 on the X-way portion, and the average for that return trip was 26.7 mpg. The X-Way portion on flat ground was more like 28-33. This is 3+/- less than the same sections at 55mph.

Upon returning, I refilled the tank. The gallons used, total miles driven, as well as the MPG were dead on between the Scan Gauge, the gas pump, the odometer, and manually figuring the MPG.

Understanding mileage like this is nothing to get overly excited about for a Corolla. However this was done with a 4400#, 3.5 liter V6, 4wd, automatic, Honda Pilot pushing a lot of air. It has an EPA rating of 15/20 or something like that. Locally it is getting 19+/- mpg for the entire tank.

Driving conditions, weight of the drivers foot, and willingness of the driver all contribute to mileage. Hyper milers employ techniques that I personally would not.
    For me, common sense and courtesy to others prevail. Example: If I'm on a 2 lane X-Way and traffic is moving fast, I will generally run the posted limit and stay in the RH lane. On local and back roads I generally run 5mph over the posted limit. If some jerk wants to ride my bumper, I will seek a way to let him pass. Nobody wins in a wreck!

Keep in mind, it is not that you pressed the peddle, but how you press the peddle. :shades:

Kip
    I'll take your word for it as you seem like more of a Corolla expert then I. When you speak of averages at 46 mpg. your are saying at some point you were getting even higher than 46 and this just seems so unlikely to me.
    I am not a Corolla expert, but I've driven enough small cars in over 35 years (including Corollas) that I have a good idea of what they are capable of under different driving conditions. For example, I have achieved over 40 mpg under ideal conditions with my Elantra 4AT with an iron block 2.0L engine that is far less efficient than the Corolla's 1.8L mill, and upper 30s on a 328Ci I6. And that was using only basic gas-saving techniques, not all the hypermiler tricks. So I think mid-40s on a Corolla using hypermiler techniques is very doable.

The key thing is, "YMMV". Someone who averages 46 mpg may have a much different daily driving route than most other drivers.