Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Real World MPG

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
Escape/Tribute Owners, please post your actual MPG! Please be sure to include whether it is manual/automatic, 4cyl/6cyl, and AWD.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    2005 Tribute

4 cylinder
    5 speed manual trans
    All Wheel Drive

not quite 2000 miles

20 - 22 mpg "suburban" driving ( have seen 19 mpg during colder temps )
    26 - 27 mpg highway, but no long trips as of yet, with multiple fills
  • j30j30 Posts: 30
    05 Trib

V6 FWD
    6000 miles
    50% Highway

No trips yet...
    Average is 23 MPG
  • hermannhermann Posts: 38
    My girlfriend new Mariner as described above is averaging 20 MPG. Hoping for 22-23 MPG after 10K or so.
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    2001 Escape V6 FWD XLT; 70K miles, real world mileage figures are at present :

16-17 City
    20-Hwy

Don't know if I'll ever be able to get any better but I'm still trying. From all forums/ posts, mileage seems to be better with the '05 Escapes/Tribs./Mariners or at least
    a couple of mpg better than '01-'04 models. I think maybe it's d/t electronic throttle
    linkage and some re-tuning of the 3.0 V6. My friend with an '05 Tribute seems to have better throttle response and pick-up in his too as well as about 2-3 mpg better
    mileage.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,693
    17 to 22 mpg. longest trip 125 miles one way. most trips between 5-15 miles.
  • henry_nhenry_n Posts: 33
    New 2005 Tribute, V6, automatic, 2wd. Three tanks so far, best at 22.7, lowest at 20.5, mostly highway driving (with a heavy foot).
  • mikezakmikezak Posts: 95
    Believe it or not, I got 24.9 MPG on a highway trip,...and I only have 1084 miles on the vehicle. I will soon be changing to Mobil 1 and as it breaks in, I expect maybe 25-26 MPG on Highway.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Got almost 24 mpg on a trip this past weekend. Onlyhave 1500 miles on the car so it's barely broken in. I had the A/C on, cruise control, and only made one quick pit stop.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Sold at 38K. Ave in city was 18-19, ave on highway was 21-23. Best on highway was 24.6. Sold for Subaru Forester. Tow my boat just as well, as comfortable, and gets 20 -25% better gas mileage
    '04 escape; about the same mileage(as '02 trib).
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    Just finished a 1200 mile round trip with the '01 Escape V6 moderately loaded-down and actually averaged 23-24 mpg for the whole trip, doing ~70 mph. On one stretch of highway (flat-straightway for the most part) I actually got 27-mpg. I thought that this was a mistake, so on the homeward trip I filled-up at ~the same-time and location, etc. I achieved the same mileage on the same stretch. Normally though it was the above average which is about right, but I've never before
    gotten that good of mileage, ever from my '01 Escape.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    Just arrived in Florida for the annual Christmas visit. This is the first long drive I've taken with the Tribute. It's a 2005, 4 cylinder, all wheel drive 5 speed. It now has 7600 miles. For the I-95 portion of the trip, during which I ran a consistent 75 - 80 mph, I averaged 28 mpg. Not bad, though I'll admit I was hoping for 30...
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    Well, my mileage has been much better most of the run of the vehilce after I added a Tornado to the engine.

Vehicle: '01 Escape XLT
    Engine: 215hp V6 (after Tornado install and checked on a dyno at dealership)
    Drive: 4WD
    Mileage: 76454 (as of 02/07/06
    MPG: 20-22 City / 28-30 Hwy (but have had it as high as 32)

Odie
  • My '01 XLT V6 FWD mileage has never been above 19 mpg City. Normally it averages 16-18 mpg City. I currently have ~87.3K on the odo.
    I believe I have done everything I know of to increase mileage (except the Tornado): K&N air filter, Mobil 1 synthetic oil from 22K miles, Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid, Magnaflow free-flow muffler. I know one thing, it goes faster and sounds good too, than when broken-in new. I figure my HP gain must be about 20, bumping it up to maybe 220 HP. This really may be the cause of my low(er) mileage too, but I try not to rabbit-start.
    I may be buying a 2006 Mariner V6 FWD which on paper gets better mileage by about 25% than my '01 Escape. One of the things holding me back is Ford's continued issue with brake-pad dusting. It drove me crazy until I switched to ceramic pads a couple of years ago.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    XLT V6 4WD averages about 20 in the city, 25 on the Highway.. If I keep my speed down to about 60 I have gotten as high as 28ish..
  • I certainly would take those numbers. I recently drove from the Willamette Valley to Seattle with the cruise set at 65 and the roof rack off (hate the wind noise) and got 23.5. I've never gotten close to 20 in town. Only have 6K on vehicle so perhaps it might improve but I'm not holding my breath.
    I also have to confess that I have had a little engine work done to help me get those numbers. First I had the Tornado, then having the Turbo added along with the Tornado.

Odie
  • mo4mo4 Posts: 4
    Unlike a lot of the messages before me, I am experiencing lousy mileage, 12 -14 in town and 18 on the highway. Only once got 20 -22 but that was at a constant 65 - 70 mph. Mazda checked it out twice and said there is nothing wrong with it and it is operating as it should. It is not the driving, we are very careful. Any suggestions?
    check to make sure your tires are at the right pressure. If you tires are under pressured you will get crappy mileage.. also when it comes time for new tires, if you don't do any serious off-road driving or live in an area that is prone to massive snow in winters, I would recommend switching to a street tire over the heavy duty off road gripping tires, you will get better mileage and a quieter / smoother ride. If your in an area that get mostly rain, then a good rain highway tire would be better.

Hope this helps out.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • mo4mo4 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the tip. already done that. New tires, Yokohamas and they are a good quieter tire and inflated properly. It must be something else!!!

Mark
    only other thing I can think of is since we are coming into the spring months, try a can of DryGas in your tank along with a fuel line cleaner. You may not be getting optimum fuel pressure and it is making your engine work harder.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
    changing tires can affect your gas mileage. was an alignment done?
    i took off the front crossbar and changed the air filter on our '04 escape. mileage is up about 6% over last year.
  • mcsp00mcsp00 Posts: 3
    CHange the air cleaner. I've experienced significant gas mileage loss due to a dirty air cleaner. Aftre replacing the air cleaner, I picked up 3MPG.
    i agree, the air filter makes the biggest difference. a lot of cr-v owners report higher mileage, so look at them to see what could be different. i noticed a lot of them don't have the crossbars on the top.
    the only time I put my crossbars on the top of my escape is when I need to use them (christmas tree, larger items that won't fit inside, etc.)

Odie
    Odie's carspace Garage
  • joelampjoelamp Posts: 4
    Just about 1,000 miles on our new Tribute now and we have been getting just shy of 20 MPG (about 19.45).

The owners manual says not to consider MPG accurate until the engine is broken in (around 1,000 miles). So I guess we will see how the mileage goes from here on out.

If we can get/keep around 20/gal in a mix of highway and city driving, I will be satisfied.
  • 23 mpg (or 10l/100km)
    2006 Escape
    6 cyl, 17500 km on it
  • We really like our 05 Tribute,however, the interior noise level, even with all windows closed, seems to have increased.Does anyone have a similar experience?
    Has anyone found a way to reduce the noise level? It has become difficult to have a converstaion with passengers.
    Any feedback would be appreciated before we bring it to the dealer to check out.
  • What is a tornado?
  • Check your air filter and plugs. I would also use a treatment called "Complete Fuel System cleaner". It's about $10 and Chevron makes it. You can get it at your local auto parts.

If you drive a lot of small distances, or leave your car on for a few minutes here and there, that's the numbers you will get.