Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Real World MPG

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    only other thing I can think of is since we are coming into the spring months, try a can of DryGas in your tank along with a fuel line cleaner. You may not be getting optimum fuel pressure and it is making your engine work harder.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    changing tires can affect your gas mileage. was an alignment done?
    i took off the front crossbar and changed the air filter on our '04 escape. mileage is up about 6% over last year.
  • mcsp00mcsp00 Posts: 3
    CHange the air cleaner. I've experienced significant gas mileage loss due to a dirty air cleaner. Aftre replacing the air cleaner, I picked up 3MPG.
    i agree, the air filter makes the biggest difference. a lot of cr-v owners report higher mileage, so look at them to see what could be different. i noticed a lot of them don't have the crossbars on the top.
    the only time I put my crossbars on the top of my escape is when I need to use them (christmas tree, larger items that won't fit inside, etc.)

Odie
    Odie's carspace Garage
  • joelampjoelamp Posts: 4
    Just about 1,000 miles on our new Tribute now and we have been getting just shy of 20 MPG (about 19.45).

The owners manual says not to consider MPG accurate until the engine is broken in (around 1,000 miles). So I guess we will see how the mileage goes from here on out.

If we can get/keep around 20/gal in a mix of highway and city driving, I will be satisfied.
  • 23 mpg (or 10l/100km)
    2006 Escape
    6 cyl, 17500 km on it
  • We really like our 05 Tribute,however, the interior noise level, even with all windows closed, seems to have increased.Does anyone have a similar experience?
    Has anyone found a way to reduce the noise level? It has become difficult to have a converstaion with passengers.
    Any feedback would be appreciated before we bring it to the dealer to check out.
  • What is a tornado?
  • Check your air filter and plugs. I would also use a treatment called "Complete Fuel System cleaner". It's about $10 and Chevron makes it. You can get it at your local auto parts.

If you drive a lot of small distances, or leave your car on for a few minutes here and there, that's the numbers you will get.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    What is a tornado?

It's a device that gives some vorticity (spin) to the air in your intake that supposedly improves engine efficiency.

There has been some discussion of it in Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets.

tidester, host
  • rcinmdrcinmd Posts: 139
    Took a quick trip from Central Md to Lynchburg and back. Ran about 70 mph on 81 / 64, then down various state roads to the destination.

Overall mpg as expected - 28 mpg. 2005 Tribute, 2.3 liter 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, All Wheel Drive.

The big question is why the gas in Va has fallen to as low as 2.599 per gallon regular in Va, while here in questionable-practice Md, it has gotten no lower than 2.899 here, and still far higher towards DC, which is somewhat understandable, in a round-about way.
    A tornado is a piece of equipment that make a vortex (spiral) of air to create a better air / fuel mixture. Some vehicles already have this system in place but call it different names (ex. Vortec, Ram Air). It is basically an air charger system that induces more air into the intermix chamber.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    I bet if you took yours out and reset the ecu, your mileage would stay about the same (or even go up a little bit). The $60 swirly gizmos don't increase the amount of air going into the intake. People spend big bucks to do that (Breathe Easy: Int. & Exh. Headers + Mufflers and Pipes).
    considering I no longer have the Escape, taking the tornado out would be hard at this point, even if it was still in. I had to take the tornado out when I had the Turbo system installed on the Escape.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Our daughter is considering an Escape. she drives 2,700 miles a month. She either wants the Escape or a Jeep Liberty. She is certian she wants 4x4 but which is better the 4 or 6 cynlinder? and is there much difference between the 06 and 07?

Farout
    a subaru will probably be a better choice. neither the escape or liberty are know for gas mileage.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    I have had it now for 6 mos. and 10k miles. Total mileage is 54k.

Overall 21.3 mpg in mixed driving. Best yet has been 24.2 on a trip.

I am pretty satisfied with that, considering it's a v-6 and shaped like a brick.
    this weekend.
    average of 19.5 mpg over 31k miles.
    longest trip has been about 250 miles.
    i will be draining the tank a few times.
    first tank 303 miles 23.1 mpg. this included some nyc traffic across the gw bridge stop and go on I95 especially delaware.
    next tank 268 miles 21.9 mpg. worst traffic encountered was a stretch of 15 miles that took 2 hours. also dead stop on 1-95 in maryland for a while.
    last tank pa 15 to I81 to I84 317 miles 25.7 mpg.
    lots of hills in pa/ny/ct. tried to maintain 75 as much as possible. i'm really happy with that!