Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Real World MPG

1235»

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited September 2010
    We have an '04 Escape. So pretty much the same thing. overall average 19.2.
    Did hit 24+ a few times (rated @ 23 HGY in 2004).
    I-80 is a long road. On the flats, could maybe hit 25, depending on load and weather conditions.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    edited April 2011
    I just checked my mileage from my first tank of gas on my 2011 Ford Escape XLT FWD. the average mpg was reading 28mpg on the readout most of the tank so I was thrilled because I was hoping to get at least 26mpg. When I filled it up and did the math it turns out that I got 29.4 mpg !! When I tell my friends and family they asked if I bought the Escape hybrid. I could not be happier with this SUV.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    Well the first tank was 85% highway driving. The 2nd tank was 75% city and my mileage shows. 25mpg. As long as you can keep these baby's in 6th gear you can get some amazing mileage. Even at 25mpg its still 25% better gas mileage than my Tacoma.
  • shadescapesshadescapes Posts: 21
    edited June 2012
    I have 2 Escapes- 08 4WD, V6, 4 speed auto- 09 4WD, V6, 6 speed auto

trip to and from the mountains the 09 beat the 08 by 2.8mpg
    interesting- so some checking showed the 09 had more HP/TQ

so I purchased the Ultra Gauge- 4 weeks now- at 60mph without cruise I regularly average 31.7mpg- in town driving for mileage I average 24.6mpg- I can get 35.8mpg at 57mph if there's no wind and only slight rises in the road-

The Ultra Gauge or the Scan Gauge 2 is your best bet to help you to understand where your engine runs best and you are getting the best mileage as you adapt your driving based on the reading

I can also tell you the mileage goes down quick if I drive over 65-
    I don't mind cruising along and all other vehicles scream past- I just smile

I took a few pictures of my dash/Ultra Gauge on a recent long trip- can post it if this is unbelievable

there are ways to drive your vehicle to beat the EPA estimates
    many do it quite regularly- without falling for the scam gas saving gimmics

I use Trop Artic 5W20 synthetic blend- I'd be very concerned with putting anything but MercronV in your auto transmission

there is a forum where MPG is the focus- I learned alot there

just recently found this forum and wanted to say hi- seems like a great place
  • bachmanbachman Posts: 31
    I'm pretty sure at some point, the aerodynamics of any vehicle reach a 'sweet spot' that is the ideal and speed alone bumped up or down will have a negative effect. Other than that, variables are almost too numberous to count. In city driving, a big imapct for favorable outcome is reading the flow or waves of traffic patterns, slight adjustments and hitting the green lights.
  • well said-

a vacuum gauge is pretty good- "old school"

I had a 2007 Honda Civic- my sister had a Prius
    on a dare- I beat her mileage

not being in a hurry and knowing how to drive for ultimate mileage is key
    there used to be schools/classes that teach

we have 30+ mile winds out here- it wouldn't be fair to state mpg going with the wind
  • Purchased my '09 Escape Limited AWD 4cyl/6spd Auto about 8 months ago. It has about 55,000 miles on it now. I've done about 6,500 miles since purchase. Just love it! 70% hwy. Fuel computer says 23.5 mpg. Jumps up to 26 mpg on long highway trips. Generally I cruise at 65 mph. This sounds about right to me.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    edited October 2012
    "Purchased my '09 Escape Limited AWD 4cyl/6spd Auto about 8 months ago. It has about 55,000 miles on it now. I've done about 6,500 miles since purchase. Just love it! 70% hwy. Fuel computer says 23.5 mpg. Jumps up to 26 mpg on long highway trips. Generally I cruise at 65 mph. This sounds about right to me. "

Not too shabby! I'm getting about 27 on my Hybrid 2008 AWD on the road, but that is at 80 MPH. I'd say your MPG is about right for that truck setup .. and yours cost considerably less than mine!
  • As an update, took a trip over the last weekend. 2-1/4 hrs away and back the next day. 50/50 mix of 65 mph super highway and 55 mph secondary highway. Trip average was 28.5 mpg. Pretty happy with that as gas is $4.92 per US gallon for 87 octane in the Toronto area.

09 Limited 2.5
  • "about 27 at 80" can't quit chuckling
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,788
    edited October 2012
    ""about 27 at 80" can't quit chuckling "

Glad I could be of service. That was August of 2011 during a trip to New Mexico. Obviously, the 80 was only on the Interstate portions... sure is nice to have those higher speeds in NM and AZ.

I rarely get it that fast here on the LA freeways.

Actually, that is about what I've gotten on my last three cars. My 2003 CR-V had a similar engine, so that isn't surprising. But my 2006 Freestyle had a 3.0 V6, and it returned about the same (maybe a half MPG less).
    edited October 2012
    The '04 V6 4WD averages a little over 19 mpg, the '09 V6 AWD averages about 22, and the '13 2.0 I4 AWD my wife just brought home, not sure yet. :)
  • AWD is where you can lose mileage. Depends on how you drive. The computer runs the car/truck. Any vehicle in the city, mileage stinks. Real world? lower than advertised, always will.
  • nortdnortd Posts: 13
    500 Miles and so far averaging 29.1 mpg local and 30.1 hwy. :)
    Houston, we have a problem. There is no such thing as a 2012 with Ecoboost.
  • vango357vango357 Peabody, MAPosts: 5

2003 Mazda Tribute LX AWD, 120,000, 3.0 V6..... 20-23 highway. 13-14 city if I drive like my Grandmother

1235»