Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Gas Mileage Reports

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
edited August 12 in Mazda
This discussion is for owners to post their actual Miata MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• thelthel Posts: 767
    I get about 27 mpg on avearage with plenty of high-revving driving and the top down (naturally)
  • I get 26 mpg...that is combination driving and with the top down...on the highway with the top up, it gets 30...it might do better with the hardtop on this winter.
  • cykcyk Posts: 1
    2004 Mazdaspeed MX5.........14k miles and have averaged about 22mpg in mostly highway driving. A bit disappointed considering the tiny motor, but I admittedly hang out near redline a lot.

Just a sidenote, but I'll be installing a new ecu to boost the turbo a bit and also adding an exhaust so we'll see what that does to for economy.
  • ftexftex Posts: 1
    This is the only car I've ever owned that has outperformed it's sticker numbers. It's rated 20/26 and my exact mileage is 30.93023 MPG in mixed driving. I estimate that's about 4000 miles of city/freeway driving, and the balance in highway miles on the high plains and mountains. At 4000 feet and higher, the mileage bumps up to about 35mpg. Mostly top-up, air on.
  • I just returned from a 300 mile (each way) trip to Cape Cod: 60-75 mph, 35 psi, 87 octane ($2.90/gal), top down, very little traffic or stops. I got 34.8 mpg and about the same on return trip. I rarely get under 30mpg but then I don't beat it up either.
  • ggg7ggg7 Posts: 1
    My 2001 SE Mazda Miata's engine light blinks on after 90 miles of freeway driving. It stays on for about 100 miles and then blinks off for about 90 miles. I have taken it to the dealership 3 xs and they have not been able to solve the problem. lst they suggested tune up with new spark plugs and wires, 2nd time new catalytic converter A(still under warranty thank goodness) 3rd time they just don't know. Before the engine light comes on it pauses and there is no acceleration for approximately 5 seconds (like you are floating in space.) on the freeway. The engine light comes on and the car drives normally however the engine light stays on for another 90 miles (most of the time). Any one can help with information it would be greatly appreciated as I am on a bit of a budget. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.
  • hhr06hhr06 Posts: 47
    i have a 2000 miata ls no cruise have never got less than 26 in city driving 30 open road
  • Thinking of buying a Miata with automatic transmission. Want to find a 2004, 2005 that has warranty remaining.
    Can the Miata use Regular gasoline (87 octaine)?
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    Past the 00 model year, Mazda recommends the use of premium fuel. The newer cars can run on 87 but not as well.
  • fchathamfchatham Posts: 1
    I am having the identical problem on the identical model. I haven't even checked it out, but would like to know if you have had any luck figuring it out.
  • Hi, I was wondering if anyone has responded to your message since I have the same problem and I would like some answers as well! I appreciate your help.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Doesn't look like anyone here has an answer, but you can try asking in the "Check Engine" light discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• v8miatav8miata Posts: 1
    I just drove from Florida to TN and averaged about 80mph and got 29.5MPG
  • hawkinsrhawkinsr Posts: 1
    I also had problems with my 2001 Mazda Miata SE's engine light. Took it to the dealer and they did a diagnoses and it said there was an emission problem which they couldn't find. But then I told them to look for any recalls on this Mazda because I knew it had a fog light problem. Low and behold it had a recall (Nov 2005) on it's PCM, the main computer for the car. Replaced for free and no more engine light problem. They replace all the PCM's because of emission problems on cold engine start ups. Hope this helps and I hope you are still out there reading this message.
  • pipefitterpipefitter Posts: 27
    After my first fuel fill up on my 2006 GT Auto Trans, I'm getting 23.5 MPG with mainly city driving.
  • landmamlandmam Posts: 1
    I'm only getting 23 mpg in town. Haven't turned over 5000 miles on my new 2006
  • harold7harold7 Posts: 2
    From the dealer home from purchase 38 miles per gal. country driving level. After 8000 miles and checking very close I average 29-30 around town and 35-38 country driving and 35 on interstate 95 level rd.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Posts: 347
    Just under 26 best I have seen with 2,500 miles (without any Interstate driving to speak of) on the car. But I am not yet diligent about shifting all the way to 6th beyond say 45 MPH - so I reap what I sow. Also, higher RPM shifting becomes addictive with this car, so now I am taking my meds to help improve gas mileage :)
  • meshmesh Posts: 17
    At just over 3k miles, my Nordic green '06 gets 25-27 in mixed driving, and only about 25 on the 75 mph highways we have in MT.
  • ungsungs Posts: 2
    I avg 30-32 mpg back and forth to work and around town.
  • 2006 MX-5, 3000 miles, mixed driving, upshift typically between 3000 to 4000 RPM: 25 to 27 MPG.
  • tauyeungtauyeung Posts: 12
    City mileage computed from relatively short trips (5 miles).
    Summer: 27 MPG city, 34-36 MPG highway
    Winter: 22 MPG city, 27-29 MPG highway

Mods and effects:

Lowered suspension: this should improve gas mileage just a little bit

Cone-type intake: less restriction, should help a little

Custom (cannot be bought!) cat back: less restriction, should help a bit

Racing radiator and motor oil cooler: helps in the summer by extracting heat more efficiently, hurts in the winter (for short trips) because it takes longer to warm up
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    27-28 mpg. Doesn't seem to vary much, city or highway, winter or summer. Mostly mixed driving, city/suburbs.
  • es71es71 Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a Miata but the dealer advised me against it if I planned to use it year round, (live in Michigan). Have you had any problems with winter driving?
    I have a '93 and will not disagree.

It makes a great 2nd car, IMO. Can you get a winter beater, such as an old Subaru or something? Those would complement each other nicely.

You can get snow tires, but I still don't want other overconfident drivers in heavier SUVs bumping in to my tiny little Miata.
  • es71es71 Posts: 2
    thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part. I was trying to be a bit less practical for once.
  • Just got 31 mpg on a 350 mile drive up into the mountains north of Phoenix (07 Grand Touring manual). It was a hot day, with the top down and a/c on most of the time. Lots of steep grades and some 80 mph runs. I get 23-25 normally in Phoenix driving. Not too much stop and go, but lots of zoom-zoom. Car is still low miles, so it's probably not fully broken in yet.
  • wilzapwilzap Posts: 107
    I've got just over 2000 miles on mine and I'm continually getting 28 to 31mpg unless I'm really hard on it (don't do much stop and go city driving)so what is considered break in mileage ? will my MPG go down ?
  • picopeakpicopeak Posts: 1
    Just returned from a trip to Florida and back from Albany, NY. Mileage in my 6 spd 2000 Miata, only 30K miles, ran from 31.2 to 33.8 mpg. Speed was typically 70-75 mph. Drive car all year long; trip taken on 4 whl snows. Regular fuel only. Year round commuting with my 17 mile commute each way is 27-30 mpg with the lowest in winter with longer warm ups.
    That's pretty good. Better than the mileage I get in my 116hp 1993 model.
This discussion has been closed.