Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Gas Mileage Reports

Comments

• 2006 MX-5, 3000 miles, mixed driving, upshift typically between 3000 to 4000 RPM: 25 to 27 MPG.
  • tauyeungtauyeung Posts: 12
    City mileage computed from relatively short trips (5 miles).
    Summer: 27 MPG city, 34-36 MPG highway
    Winter: 22 MPG city, 27-29 MPG highway

Mods and effects:

Lowered suspension: this should improve gas mileage just a little bit

Cone-type intake: less restriction, should help a little

Custom (cannot be bought!) cat back: less restriction, should help a bit

Racing radiator and motor oil cooler: helps in the summer by extracting heat more efficiently, hurts in the winter (for short trips) because it takes longer to warm up
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    27-28 mpg. Doesn't seem to vary much, city or highway, winter or summer. Mostly mixed driving, city/suburbs.
  • es71es71 Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a Miata but the dealer advised me against it if I planned to use it year round, (live in Michigan). Have you had any problems with winter driving?
    I have a '93 and will not disagree.

It makes a great 2nd car, IMO. Can you get a winter beater, such as an old Subaru or something? Those would complement each other nicely.

You can get snow tires, but I still don't want other overconfident drivers in heavier SUVs bumping in to my tiny little Miata.
  • es71es71 Posts: 2
    thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Just a bit of wishful thinking on my part. I was trying to be a bit less practical for once.
  • Just got 31 mpg on a 350 mile drive up into the mountains north of Phoenix (07 Grand Touring manual). It was a hot day, with the top down and a/c on most of the time. Lots of steep grades and some 80 mph runs. I get 23-25 normally in Phoenix driving. Not too much stop and go, but lots of zoom-zoom. Car is still low miles, so it's probably not fully broken in yet.
  • wilzapwilzap Posts: 107
    I've got just over 2000 miles on mine and I'm continually getting 28 to 31mpg unless I'm really hard on it (don't do much stop and go city driving)so what is considered break in mileage ? will my MPG go down ?
  • picopeakpicopeak Posts: 1
    Just returned from a trip to Florida and back from Albany, NY. Mileage in my 6 spd 2000 Miata, only 30K miles, ran from 31.2 to 33.8 mpg. Speed was typically 70-75 mph. Drive car all year long; trip taken on 4 whl snows. Regular fuel only. Year round commuting with my 17 mile commute each way is 27-30 mpg with the lowest in winter with longer warm ups.
    That's pretty good. Better than the mileage I get in my 116hp 1993 model.
  • You have to be kidding - my 2000 with the 5-speed was virtually undriveable with only frost on the pavement. The rear end would break free every time I shifted into 2nd and 3rd; not to mention the lack of ground clearance and the state of our Iowa roads in winter.

Will have to wait until next winter to see how my 08 does, but would be greatly surprised if it was any better.

as to mileage - my 2000 with 45k on it could get from 23 to 33 mpg, depending on how hard I pushed it. Any reports in on the new model?
  • jzehazjzehaz Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000. With the all season tires my car would go sideways if I got the car to move at all. However, with four blizzak snow tires on my extra set of 14" rims I am able to chew through up to 4.5" of snow. The four snow tires make an unbelieveable difference.
  • well, have already put two tankfulls thru my 08 PRHT. btw, have the 6-speed, and while I commute, I commute 15 miles, of which 7-8 is freeway.

first tank was 26.5mpg, second was 30!

however, got suspicious - checked tire pressure (obviously no one at the dealership did) - they were running at 45 psi!!!

dropped em down to 36 (still likely too much) - will see what that does. hitting the road tonite, so will have another 500 freeway miles on it by this time tomorrow.
    Check the door jambs for the recommended tire pressure.

On my 93 it's only 26psi IIRC. I run 28. Any more and the ride gets harsh.

I'm sure it's different for yours, but it would be on the door jamb.
  • heck ateixeira, I broke down and rtfm. Manual says 29. Maybe I'm too used to the buckboard ride of my 2000 LS - at 35 pounds my new PRHT rides (comparitively) like a Crown Vic.

as for mileage - next tankfull at lowered tire pressure was 32mpg. Virtually all freeway, but hovering from 65 to 80mph. About 100 miles top down, the other 175 top up. Can't complain about that.

Tho high speed does seem to matter. Just might have driven the last 50 miles home between 90 and 110; already down a quarter on the gas gage. Ouch.
    I want to trade my 93 up for an 06, but you're making me want a PRHT.
  • windingrdwindingrd Posts: 2
    I was interested to read the post that their car was delivered with 45 lbs air pressure. Mine was delivered last week with pressures ranging from 43 lbs to 49 lbs. In my opinion the handling was squirrelly and very harsh. When I adjusted to 29lbs on all tires, handling and ride improved dramatically. When I complained to the dealership, they that the dealership they traded for the car must have done it and I have a tire pressure monitoring system anyway (I believe it only monitors low pressure, not high pressure).

I have not refueled yet but will post the mileage when I do on my 2008 GT manual transmission.
  • dbhmgbdbhmgb Posts: 1
    My '07 gets between 28 to 33 MPG. I use it every day and as the price of gas has gone up I've been driving it more gently - and even around town I'm getting 30+/- . I still make time to play, though!
  • wdukewduke Posts: 17
    Just returned from a road trip, 12 Gal. tank and travelled 350 miles with gas to spare 1/8th tank. That was with the 6 speed auto, only 1300 miles on new car and it was driven in mountainous conditions. I would guess based on this that I would get 400 mile range on a tankful in fairly flat driving conditions.
  • I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with FlyinMiata intake, manual boost controller, and downpipe resulting in about 190-195 HP to the wheels (NOT the engine output). When I drive this car, I do so with the intention of wringing it out at redline on almost every shift. I have 23K miles on it. I usually get about 19 mpg. That's about 95% country road driving and what I'd expect for the thrashing I give it.

The one stint of highway driving I did this summer got me in the upper 20s. Bah, what's the fun in that?