Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Gas Mileage Reports

13»

Comments

• dugldugl Posts: 10
    I doubt my 2008 will do much better than the low 20 mpg. One the highway, the gearing causes the engine to rev at 4,000 rpm and highway speeds....while my old Elantra lumbered along at about 2,000 rpm (5 speed). The Miata is not a gas miser with 4.10 gearing
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    1st tank was 24 mpg and 2nd tank 28 mpg on my new 08 6 speed GT. City driving mostly and more highway on the 2nd tank. Pretty good for a green engine.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hasn't varied much for me.

This is mostly commuting from suburb to city and back.
    I'm thinking your mileage is more real world. I drive highway alot and at 70 mph, my 2008 is taching at about 3500 rpm, which is getting into the chainsaw rpm range, while typical miserly commuter cars are running 1,000 rpms less at the same speeds. Add a convertible top (wind scoop) to that, and the mileage goes down even more. In 6th gear, as soon as I release the accelerator, my MX-5 decellerates rapidly.....there is no "coasting" downhill....however, there is no downshifting going uphill either. I stay around 65 mph @ 3,200 rpms.
    I must make a correction to my previous post. I had switched to 93 octane fuel last week and thought my mileage was going to be bad, but I did the math this morning when I filled-up and I'm getting 33 mpg with a combination of city & highway driving.
  • mikeozmikeoz Posts: 3
    30. Period. All the time. Pedal to the metal. Top down, AC on, radio blasting. Regular gas. Mostly highway--70 to 90mph, back and forth to work 20 miles each way, every day. One person, 220 pounds.
    1992 5 speed-no mods.

Less than 29, I'd suspect a problem...
    That's all highway, though.

I had a 93 and in my mostly city commute got mid-high 20s, which is still good.

My new 08 is getting 27-28mpg, maybe even a touch better than my 93. Not bad.
  • spencer08spencer08 Posts: 1
    My new 2008 Miata MX-5 Sport PHdT (5-speed manual) averaged 31.9 mpg first 1775 miles in/around town.

Next 5905 miles on a long vacation, overall gas mileage was 35.6 mpg, with highs of over 41 on two consecutive tankfuls in the mountains of Colorado, and lows of 32.5 over two consecutive tanks at 70/75 mph heading home through the desert.
    (All mileages carefully measured/calculated by a certified math nerd.)

I think it would take evil intent and/or devious planning to get less than 30 mph with this car.
    Not really, I have an all-city commute, and rarely get out on highways. My mileage is more like 27-28mpg.

A lot depends on where you drive, DC traffic stinks.
  • yackeeyackee Posts: 1
    My 2007 softtop with automatic transmission got 28mpg in town and 34-38 on the highway. I decided to purchase a 2008 PRHT with an automatic and feared what the mileage might be since the 2007 was so unbelievable. The new 2008 gets 29MPG in town and 36-40 on the highway on two trips of 2,500 and 3,500 miles. Unbelievable, I love this car. And yes, I fill it to the top and do know how to divide. Ohio to Colorado and Colorado to Oregon and back to Colorado.
13»