Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
Please share your TL's actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• jkgreer2jkgreer2 Posts: 42
    In 15 months of driving, mostly without use of air conditioning and after the first 2 months of break-in driving, I have consistently obtained about 24 to 27 mpg in-town, and 29 to 31 mpg on long trips. My 2004 TL is a 6 speed manual with high performance all-season tires, which were swapped with hp 'summer' tires at initial purchase to improve wet weather traction.
  • ed31cincyed31cincy Posts: 56
    '04 TL, auto, non-navi, Bridgestone EL42 inflated to 32-35 psi. City: 21-23 mpg, Highway: 29-33 mpg. If you put your right foot into it, you are going to see 16-18 mpg city, and you'll wear out the brakes and tires pretty quickly, too.
  • bhelsdonbhelsdon Posts: 134
    04, Auto, Navi, with 32k. I do 98% highway driving with a 92 Mile commute each way on 65mph highways( which actually means 80mph+ during rush hour). My A/C is always on and I always put 93 octane in, and I average 27-29mpg.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You guys driving TL Hybrids? :P

For me, pure highway driving would be about 31 - 32 mpg.
    Semi city - about 21 - 23 mpg
    Pure urban driving - 16.5 - 19.5 mpg.

But here's the kicker. Those numbers are based on imperial gallons, which is 20% larger than US gallons. :cry:
  • danny1878danny1878 Posts: 339
    TL'04 auto
    24/25 mpg with speed avg 31mph for the last 6k miles. (70 miles daily)
    City driving about 50% @25-40mph speed limit
    Highway 55-65 mph speed limit.
    Mostly using 93 octane gas but lately I use 50% regular and 50% premium. It turns out the mpg gets better (dont whether it may works on other car) by 1 mpg from 24 to 25.

It got worse to 21 mpg once before the 2nd service @13k miles but it went up again after I used a $7 fuel system cleaner and had the car serviced the next day as required by the computer.
  • bruizerbruizer Posts: 6
    18.5 mpg so far with two tankfuls of gas and one month of ownership. Almost all city/suburban roads with some hard accelerations. :shades:
  • tawneycattawneycat Posts: 114
    I get 30 mpg in commute (25 mi one way commute 65 max flat and steady)
    I get 32 on highway light load little AC
    I get low 20S around town.
    this is consistent with my 04 TL.
    Aggressive driving lowers all this greatly. I imagine few people drive the way I do.

It shows this wide tired hvy car is quite efficient overall. Motorweek and other testers have been very impressed with long term mileage. Most report mid 25-26 overall during 20 k miles--not bad at all.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    In mixed local/highway commute, 40 miles/day. Average speed around 30mph.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• drcohendrcohen Posts: 20
    Just a little over 575 miles. My last two tank fills have yielded about 17.6 to 18.1 MPG in 90% urban driving and trying like h^%^ to keep my nervous foot of it.
    I can hardly wait to take this baby up the coast...I anticipate great MPG's.

My last car, Infiniti i30T had actually better MPG around town, 18.5 to 20.5 consistantly.

Interesting because I almost went for a G35 which EPA's at 18 town vs. 20 for the TL. I would hope that with time the TL will yield better town MPG.

David.....
  • bruizerbruizer Posts: 6
    On a recent 700 mile trip with probably 3% city driving. The car is very smooth on the highway - I was averaging about 75 mph, but got it up to 120 once on some back roads. :shades:
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Hey, slow down!!! :shades: It is very easy to go way over the speed limit in the TL without realizing you are going 90. :P
    I must be a mpg freak. I honestly get 30 mpg plus on my commute. Last fill up yesterday was way full 8 gallons and 245 miles. Last fillup was 7 gallons on 220 miles. I have an odd commute. Leave suburbia going downhill to the expressway about one mile and drive 24 miles at 62 mpg average and steady early morning.
    At times I have gotten 36 mpg on this commute but with slow downs, warm ups and parking lot time back into the 30-31 range. I have never been pure city but at those times I do the MPG plummets.
    The engine is very efficient at 60-70 mph, cd of .29 I recall and super tall gearing all make for a nice highway experience. I alway got simliar MPG in my 02 TL.
    I mix 87 and 93 50/50 each tank.
    So your commute is downhill both coming and going? :surprise: :surprise:
    In a TL, it always seems you are going down hill :P
  • delmar1delmar1 Posts: 744
    MPG freak....have you tried to not mix the gas octane and have you noticed any differences in MPG? For instance...going with straight 87 versus straight 93?
    Funny. You must be a surveyor as the difference best be zero. Point being during that warmup car is coasting mostly and avg to work is 35-36. return usually with ac on is high 20S. hence the low 30's average.
    ;)
    Hmm....could that be the reason my wife says I've been going downhill for years?! :blush: :confuse: :cry:
    Me too! :blush: :confuse: :sick:
  • drcohendrcohen Posts: 20
    Well my third tank (303 miles) with mostly urban driving with roughly 60 miles of it steady @60-70 mph yielded a better 22.12 MPG. Not too bad........time will tell.

I'm not happy, because it only means I need to be "light footed" around town.
    Hell why have all this HP teasing me and reminding me that my drivers license is important.

I should have purchased an economy sub-compact with no radio, 13" wheels, 98 HP, lumpy seats, no luxo stuff and just be happy to be bored with more money in the bank.
    NNNNNNAAAAAHHHH.....

David