Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Comments

• this is a gross over simplification

Thanks - that's how I needed it explained to understand! :blush:

So...if my peak accelleration occurs between 4 & 6,000 RPMs, my best gas mileage might be at the 3,000 RPM mark?

I know you can't give me a definite "yes" here, but please confirm I'm understanding your concept.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    The hard part to understand is the amount of fuel used is not just determined by the engine RPM - but also by the amount of work the engine is doing - and the amount of time to get the work done.

The engine does not use the least amount of gas running at the RPM where it produces its max torque. But is efficient at this level considering the amount of power it is generating - the more power the more work the engine can do in a given amount of time.

A few simple (silly even) examples -

If you are just sitting with the car in neutral - the higher the RPM the more gas it will use. No real work is getting done.

If you drive a car 100 miles at 90 MPH it will take more gas than if you drove the same 100 miles at 45 MPH. Same amount of work was done (you went 100 miles) - but the time is different.

These are some of the factors that make this stuff so darn complicated and hard to explain.

Not sure this is even technically correct - but imagine how hard your engine would need to work - going up a steep hill at 25 MPG in 5th gear.

Down shift into 3RD gear (keep going the same 25 MPH) your engine is at a higher RPM - but is not under as much strain - not working as hard to move the car up the same hill.

So the amount of gas you use going up the hill in 3rd gear is less - even though your engine was running at a higher RPM

From the standpoint of every day driving I don't think it will make a big difference - maybe 1-2 MPG who knows.

But when you are towing an RV a long distance getting 15 instead of 13 MPG seems to add up.
  • ;) Got it. I do (and did) understand the concepts (about how hard an engine has to work) even before reading your post, but appreciate you reiterating the basics.

I generally meant when the car was on a flat, level surface with minimal traffic.

I think I will keep the RPMs up a little higher than I have been - even a 1-2 mog beneift is worthwhile when you factor in the other, even bigger benefit - I'm closer to the torque/hp "sweetspot" in case I need it!!!
  • swgordonswgordon Posts: 13
    I just bought a new TL and Ive noticed the gas mileage is horrible. Is this normal for a brand new car? Does it just need to be broken in??
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Yes, mileage improves as the engine is broken in.
    Other things can also help determine your gas mileage.

Can you give better details?

What is your current mileage?
    How long is your commute?
    City or Highway?
    What type of fuel are you using (Octane)?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,591
    '05 TL @ 28,000 miles (automatic). In mixed commute driving, I've been consistantly averaging ~23mpg since as long as I can remember. I have no complaints re: mpg...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• jkm900jkm900 Posts: 18
    I just bought an 07 TL and noticed the gas mileage not being a good as I thought it would be. However, I drive mostly on city streets with the air on so obviously it's not going to be as good. But it should get better once it has been driven a few thousand miles. I put close to 1000 on it in the three weeks that I have had it as I took a trip. I'm expecting it to get better. I use 93 octane.
    From what I've seen, the TL's average mileage is as good as it is, because it's highway economy brings the average up.
    If you're doing strictly city driving, the MPG average will suffer.
    Short trips only add to the low numbers.

On the highway, that's where the TL's economy really shines!
  • jfbrown42jfbrown42 Posts: 3
    Got a "new" 2003 TL Type S about 2,000 miles ago. My wife drives it around town most of the time. We're getting 19 MPG, which isn't as good as I expected, given the comments on this forum.
  • darballman1darballman1 Posts: 55
    Very true. My new 06 TL is getting a steady 24 MPG (30% City/70% Hwy). I am happy with that comb. number. When we went to Vegas a couple of months ago, I was getting a consistant 34-36 MPG driving 75 mph +. Not bad for an entry level lux. car. BTW, I only have 3,300 miles on the car and expect mileage to improve a bit in the future.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    You got 34-36 mpg doing > 75 mph? Were you going downhill and shifted the car to neutral to get that kind of mpg :P
  • I bought a 07 TL/Navi a month ago. The fuel low alert comes on it seems when there is still 4 to 4.5 gallons left in the tank. Is that normal? I think the manual said the alert comes on when there is 1.5 or 2.5 gallons left.
    Thanks.
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    Yes, that's normal - I have an '06 and mine is the same. I always wait to fill up 'til the light comes on. I guess Acura doesn't want too many people calling Acura Care due to running out of gas!
  • dap2006,
    I think you're right. They're playing it safe, but the manual shouldn't say there's only 1.5g left when the alert comes on when it is a lot more than that.

I filled it up this morning after driving with the 'low fuel' alert for 35-40 miles. It came out to 14.3 gallons, so it still had more than 2.5 gallons in the tank.
    It's just a little annoying the light comes on so soon.
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    Getting 17 U.S mpg in city driving with stop start and maximum 5 minute runs before parking. Temps around 18C.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Getting 17 U.S mpg in city driving with stop start and maximum 5 minute runs before parking."

I sure hope that's not the type of driving you did during the break in period.

I know many Acura dealers are buffoons and will claim that it's really not necessary to properly break in the engine. But the advice I got for my Honda S2000 and Porsche 911 from several knowledgeable engineers and mechanics was identical: in addition to not over-revving and varying engine speeds, DO NOT start the car without driving it for at least 15-20 minutes so as to allow the oil (not just water) and all engine parts to reach full operating temperature. This enables the seals, gaskets, cylinders, etc. to seat properly.

That is what you should do for a high compression, tight tolerance, high performance engine. The TL-S might not be in the same league as the 9,000 rpm S2000 or the 911 engines, but I'd still consider it worthy of proper break in.
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Posts: 34
    DO NOT start the car without driving it for at least 15-20 minutes so as to allow the oil (not just water) and all engine parts to reach full operating temperature

You meant "DO NOT stop the car without....", I suppose...

I am curious. What happens if the car's engine did not have a proper break in? And if someone is buying a used car, how would they know that engine was not properly handled in the beginning?

Just curious,
    And if someone is buying a used car, how would they know that engine was not properly handled in the beginning?

They wouldn't... that's the worst part about buying used.
    Improper break-in doesn't really start to show it's affects until 40-50K miles. You'll start to see oil consumption, poor compression, loss of power, poor fuel economy, and the list can go on and on from there.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Don't start", "don't stop", it doesn't matter. The point is that short hops (1-2 miles 5 minutes) during the break in period are strongly discouraged by those "in the know", that I respect. My Porsche delaer worked at the factory for a decade as an engineer. I spoke directly with a Japanese Honda factory technician regarding the S2000 before I bought. I hear the same from a highly respected BMW shop that handles many current and older 'M" cars.

As scottm123 pointed out, lots of things can occur if the car is abused (intentionally or not) during break-in. Performance suffers. According to my Porsche dealer, a high percentage of "rear main seal" leaks that occured in the previous genration 911 could be linked to bad practices during the break in period when engine parts, gaskets, seals, etc. should be "seating" properly. It's so damn easy to properly break in a high performance engine that it should be put on the label over the airbag warning on the visor.

I traded in my 2.5 year old 2002 Honda S2000 on an Acura TL in May 2004. The Acura/Mercedes dealer owner is a car nut and would only agree to take the car after personally test driving and doing a compression test. It passed on both counts and I gave him the "right answer" relative to what I did during the break in period. He has been known to refuse cars - especially AMG models - that were not properly broken in by their original owners. It's a small town dealership and he doesn't want to have the second buyer of an SL65 pissed off at him as a result of the first owner's transgressions.
  • swgordonswgordon Posts: 13
    I was driving my new TL yesterday (1 month old with 800 miles) on I95 and I averaged 33mpg. I was running consistently between 70 and 80mph. My wife drove the car home and she only averaged 31mpg. She drives slower at a pretty constant 60-65. I was expecting her to do better on the mpg but I guess the engine just prefers to be run a bit faster.