Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Comments

• Message #241 provides very useful information. The only way to figure mpg is with a pencil & paper (actual miles driven divided by actual gallons used). Anything else is a guess resulting in totally useless information.
  • hicowhicow Posts: 3
    I've checked the mileage on the first three tanks of gas and the computer showed 2 MPG better than the actual calculation on each of the three tanks. This made me wonder if a lot of the MPG reported here are what the computer reports or actual calculation.
  • hkyhky Posts: 71
    The computer on mine is usually +-.5 mpg to the hand calculated value. I usually keep my tire pressure 33F, 35R and it seems to get slightly better mpg but it does affect ride quality a little.
  • Thanks 150mph. By the way, here is how I calculate gallons used. Get a fill at a given (usually local) station, remembering your pump and position. Drive and refill as many times as you want--just keep track of the exact gallons each time you add gas. You can add any amount. When you want to calculate your mpg, go back to your local station, refill at the same pump and position, and be sure to stop at the same point as before, perhaps when the pump clicks off. Divide miles since the first fill up at that station and by total gallons. Voila.

The other potential error is the miles. I checked my odometer/tripometer a couple times, using the highway odometer checks, and it seemed almost exactly correct. Only other caveat is that my TL is just a couple months old and has 2500 miles on it. I expect mileage to improve a bit up to maybe 10,000 (?) miles.
  • I'm looking forward to better MPG. I just drove my first interstate trip of any length
    (only about 55 miles in each direction) and seem to be getting ~ 20 mpg in my 9-day-old '08 TL.

The salesman says that mileage gets better after each of the three oil changes.

At today's premium gas prices I have a reason to want my '08 TL to stop being so new.
  • I now have 6000 miles on my 07 type S. The avg mpg (US) in it's life time is 19.5. The best was a summer drive of 240 miles, flat avg speed 65 mph, got 30.7 mpg
    The worst was a winter week of -31F, total of 227 miles, stop starts in town of 5 minute drives then stop for 2 hours, avg speed 25 mph, got 11.7 mpg
  • After two long trips from Texas to Florida I now have 13,000 miles on my 2007 TL. My overall average mileage is 22.0 mpg. About 5200 miles were highway miles at 75-80 mph. The rest is mainly stop and go driving around Dallas with some short highway trips. The average of the two trips to Florida was right at 28 mpg. The average for all the city driving between the two trips is 18.9 mpg. All mileages are computed by miles driven / gallons used. My trip computer also shows significantly higher mileage than computed mileage, in fact I've had my Acura dealer look at it each time it has been in for service. They keep saying it is just that inaccurate. Comparing it to a few friends cars (different makes and models) theirs all average only a few percent difference between indicated and computed mileage. Just glancing at mine it looks like it was sometimes as much as 20% to high. So, I started recording the reading when I fill up each time and the last discrepancies are: +17%, +10%, +14%, -5%, +7%, +15%, +21%, +19%, +8%. I reset the trip computer when I fill up and take the reading the next time I fill up. I expected a much more accurate reading than this, in fact, when test driving the car I asked the salesman twice if the mileage it was indicating was accurate and he assured me it was very accurate. During the three test drives I was getting an indicated 22-23 mpg during city driving and 31-32 on the highway at 65-70 mph. Based on my prior Acura, 1997 CL 3.0, that I was always able to get 3-4 mpg better than the EPA rating this seemed in reasonable. I've let my dealer know, in very strong words, that had I known the indicated reading were approximately 15% high it would have put the TL into 2nd place and I would have purchased a different make. The car goes in for service in about a month so I'm going to present them with this real data and ask for an explanation in writing why the trip computer is not only very inaccurate but also so inconsistent.

BTW - I'm also a pilot and our club used to have a plane with a fuel totalizer and the technology was very accurate for computing mpg - in fact it was usually accurate to within 1% based on GPS miles flown / gallons used.
  • I am 3/4 of the way through my second tank of gas on my new 08 TL-S 6M. I commute about 23 miles each way in the DFW area, with about 16 miles freeway at 80 mph ave and 8 miles or so side roads. I don't exactly drive slowly, to put it mildly but I am still averaging 24 mpg according to the computer and when this tank is filled I will see what the calculation is. Even if the computer is 10% over, it's still better mileage than any competitor I considered. Way better than the G35 and R32, and probably about the same as the Altima. My 98 Maxima averages 22 under the same driving, so given that the TL-S is 450 lbs heavier and has 100 hp more, 20 mpg would be impressive. Also of note, my friend gets a computer ave of 22 in his 06 TL 6M,and he drives nowhere near as hard as I do. I'll chime in again after I fill the tank this weekend.
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Posts: 51
    chirocat,

Please do check in. I'll be curious to see if your computer is 8% or so too high. That would give you an actual figure of 22 MPG. Sounds like your driving isn't great for mileage. Thanks for the comparison to the competition.
  • kkrtrek,

Just filled up today and I have confirmed your findings. My average was swaying between 23-24 on the computer and it calculated manually to just over 22 MPG. That's still slightly better than my 98 Maxima average, and I have less than 600 miles on the engine. Granted I would get better mileage if I drove less than an average 80 mph on the interstate and 10mph over the posted limited in town...plus didn't accelerate as briskly. But if I cared about mileage that much and could actually tolerate driving less than 75 mph (don't know how you guys can do it in a TL, let alone a TL-S) I would have bought something else.

I am still impressed that this car can get better mileage than my Maxima and weighs 450 more, and has 100 more HP. I am also happy that I have outscored Road and Track and the other magazine who got around 19-20 with the TL-S and 17 or so with the G35. I have 2 friends who drive like old ladies compared to me, one had a 03 G35X (he got 18 ave) and another friend with a 06 TL 6M who averages 22 on the trip computer. So I am really happy I am doing better than them, it also confirms that the TL-S was the right choice for me over the G35.

An interesting side note; on my first fill up the LOW FUEL warning went up on the way to the station, and I was able to cram no more than 13 gallons into the tank, the second fill up I drove to work and lunch after the warning and managed to just ladle in 13.9 Gallons. Clearly the low fuel warning is conservative. My Maxima gave me about 30 miles before it ran out when the car was newer, now it is practically dead in the water as soon as the light comes on. The tank is 18.5 gallons but you will be walking with 2 gallons left nowadays. :surprise:

For the manual trans people, I have to wonder if shifting technique plays a roll in otherwise similar driving. Typically I use 4 gears out of 6 when accelerating in town, possibly that is why I am getting better mileage than my slower driving friend.
    How do the rest of you guys normally drive? (shift points and gears)?
  • This is exactly how you calculate the MPG. TL is not an economical car, if you want fuel efficiency, go with Corolla or Civic.
    Just bought a Acura TL 05 certified pre-owned for 2 weeks. Using the car on board computer, I got 11 MPG from morning short trip (about 2 mi, driving the kids to school), up to 17 MPG local and up to 30 MPG strickly highway. And I am quite happy with the mileage. Remember, this is NYC traffic, you have to stop every 4-5 traffic lights, stop and go. Unlike some other folks lucky enough to live in suburb which local traffic means driving 30-40 MPH and stop once in a while. :)
  • bhulikbhulik Posts: 1
    I've got just over 8,000 on my 2007 TL-S 6M

Lifetime average is 24mpg. Highway I've gotten as high as 32 on long trips at a steady speed. Its the around town stuff that kills the mileage - Its too much fun winding it out before shifting.
  • My computer's average is about 40mph and 24 mpg. The actual mileage average so far over my first 1200 miles has been just over 22. Considering that I accelerate much harder than average and cruise at 80 on the freeway leg of my commute, I am VERY happy with this mileage. The TL-S is commendably efficient considering it's performance level. I have a friend who drives conservative compared to me and managed an average of 18 with his 04 G35X. Considering the the 08 TL-S rivals that car and is just behind the new G35..... I can't say anything negative about the TL-S mileage.
  • Remember though that the G35x is an all wheel drive vehicle and gas mileage will suffer as compared to the FWD TL. It will be interesting to see where the '09 TL's MPG falls with SH-AWD.
  • The G35X needs to be judged relative to the G35, which seems to get the same or less MPG then my conservative driving friend. I would say the AWD costs the G35X maybe 1 mpg. It just can't compete with the TL-S, (the G35 6MT), they weigh the same, same size engines, similar HP but the gear ratio is pretty low on the G35 and it eats the gas. At least for my driving, which is about 80 mph for the bulk of my commute, the Acura can not be beat. It just quietly idles along at 2750 RPM, where my old Maxima was doing 3300. The G35 is only slightly better than my old Maxima as far as RPM goes.
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    I have owned several 3G TL cars, most recently an 08 TL-S. My 07 TL over about 11K miles averaged 22.4 MPG while my Type-S over 8,100 miles averaged 21.8 MPG. Most of my driving is my commute in suburban ATL 20 miles each way averaging 25-29 MPH. I'm thinking of a G35, be scared of all those saying they get 18MPG or less!
  • rickpoole, thanks you for your post!

i completely agree with you and am also very unhappy with the mileage reader. I just got a new 08 TL in dec. currently i have 4100 miles on it. The trip computer is consistently over my actual mileage by 2 mpg. I am currently averaging 22 mpg. my reader always tells me im getting 24. my driving is in between stop/go and highway ( my work route is 55-60mph, with lights in between). in regards to my driving style.. its very modest. I take the car over 3000 rpms on only a few occasions, and average 70mph on open highway. not a speed deamon by any means. I would love for you to keep this forum posted to see how acura handles your complaint. I will be going for a check up pretty soon and would like to learn something from you so i can better mention my displeasure. THANKS!!
  • rickpoolerickpoole Posts: 27
    I've been doing a series of tests over the past couple of months since my mileage seems to vary quite a bit driving to and from work. Fortunately I have a short drive, less than 4 miles, and it stands to reason that when it was colder I would get worse mileage since the car would barely have time to warm up before the end of the trip. The drive time to and from work is almost always about 15 minutes usually with stopping at 3 lights and averaging 40-45 mph. I was resetting the trip computer before leaving the house or work and seeing what it read at the end of the trip. What the dealer can't explain is why it varies so much. When it was 35-45 degrees I was averaging 12-13 mpg in the morning and 22-24 mpg in the afternoon. If it always got 12-13 mpg in the morning it would seem that it just uses a lot more gas when warming up. But, on a few mornings I got 18 mpg with about the same drive time and stopping at the same lights. Because all the sensors are ignored while the engine is warming up there is no easy way to tell if it is sometimes using way too much gas during warmup. Based on my research most fuel injected engines use 15-20% more gas during warmup. My tests show it uses as much as 50% more. For the past week I've been letting it idle for 2-3 minutes before leaving in the morning and the mileage has gone up by 2 mpg. Acura can't explain it and would not provide the designed warmup gas consumption information so there is no way of knowing if it is operating as designed. My dealer has agreed to swap for a 2008 TL for a week or two so I can do the same tests with another car (they couldn't locate another 2007 TL). BTW - now that it's warmer I've been averaging 19-21 in the morning and still 22-24 in the afternoons (still not hot enough to start using the A/C) so this test may have to wait until next winter.
  • rvator4rvator4 Posts: 84
    Our 2000 TL that we bought new now has 67K miles after a 2500 mile trip. I like to drive very fast on vacations and this trip was no exception with speeds reaching nearly to the triple digits at times. The trip was over 2400 miles and this awesome car averaged 29.95 MPG. I use the mid grade fuel all the time.
    I put new Goodyear tires on it about a year ago and before leaving, made sure the air was right on. I have never replaced the air filter but I blow it out with compressed air every month. It also has the original plugs. The car has never been to the Acura dealer for any maintenance except for a tranny mod recall. Other than regular oil changes at the local Honda garage and myself installing new Brembo brake rotors, the car has had zero maintenance costs.
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    My wife (and of course I) recently bought a 08 TL. She drives it and pays for the gas!! I bought an 08 Prius.. and love the car. It's not a TL for sure, but has many features I like. I read these posts and can only feel sorry for us (all). It's only going to get worse. In the mean time, I'm getting about 50 mpg on the Prius.. take a look sometime - you might like the Prius too.

sc