Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    Back from our week in Washington, DC. For those that have not visited our nation's capitol, I highly recommend a visit. Totals from roundtrip from south of Boston to DC area, four people and very full trunk!:

Miles: 1124 85% highway, 15% local. Including traffic jams on the way, back and on the Outer Loop (I495)
    Avg. MPH: 49
    Avg. MPG: 27

TL was flawless, but now pollen and dirt covered... "Cheapest" gas in NJ.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Greetings! Just back from a road trip/family vacation to Washingmachine, DC. TL was flawless, packed to the gills with the four of us and detritus, encountering several traffic jams and some local driving, drove 1124 miles and averaged 49mph and 27 mpg.

I'm sure y'all have been, but if not, I most highly recommend a trip to our Nation's Capitol. If nothing else, it reminded/reinforced that the idea, conception, governmental model and ideals of this country are just so right. I'll leave the execution of our ideals throughout history to your discussion. Where is George Washington when we need him? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you...

Toured the Capitol Building, sat in the House Gallery and was entertained by a Representative from the Great State of South Carolina. Thank you, Rep. Barrett for a fun, enlightening time. Watched a resolution presented and objected to regarding The Delta Queen. Kids were getting fidgety, so had to leave before all the yeas and nays were tallied, it was a close race. Fabulous tour guide, Albert Caswell the "unofficial Poet Laureate" of the Capitol.

Also, rode to the top of the Washington Monument, toured the Bureau of Engraving and Printing ("The buck starts here!") several Smithsonian Museums, showed the kids the White House.

I had two very emotional moments, chilling, prideful, patriotic, depressing, scary...:

First was at the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport. Go, do not miss this museum! One section of the museum was dominated by a large, familiar looking, shiny metal aircraft. As I drew closer, I noted the name: THE Enola Gay. Stopped me in my tracks, as a cold shudder engulfed my body. A show-stopper for me...

The Second was the Vietnam Memorial. Crowded, beautiful, chilling, depressing, stunning, reverant. I would imagine any Baby-Boomer would have such feelings. I looked through the index for the name of my summer camp counselor who, if memory servers, received a draft number in the 30s that summer oh so long ago. To this day, I remember his name, the look on his face when he received his number. Much to my relief, his name was not on the wall. "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own..."

Also visited the WWII and Korean monuments which were also sobering, but Vietnam was, unfortunately, "my war." Stopped in front of the IRS building and booed rather loudly.

Stayed in Landover, MD. Took the T, I mean Metro, into the city daily. A relatively clean, efficient subway system. One funny note: Each day the Metro would go by RFK stadium just before going underground. ONe day it appeared that there was a tractor-trailer school training future 18-wheel drivers in the parking lot of RFK. The next day, one of the very tall light towers was on the ground in that same parking lot, no sign of the tractor-trailer folks!

Great vacation, so much to see and do. Almost all free, but you do need tickets for the Washington Monument tour, Capitol and Bureau of Engraving. All worth it.

Go, even if you've gone before.

• upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    LD,
    Great post, I have a buddy who lives an hour away from D.C.(who happens to own an '05 TL!) and the last time we saw him we took a trip into the city. Visited most of the sites you did. It truly is awe inspiring to see some of these sites in person that maybe you've only seen on TV. My wife had never been. Now you've got me jones'en to go again!
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Thanks for the travelogue!

I visited the National Zoo and really enjoyed it. The Pandas are amazing.
    Go, Doc. I could go back tomorrow (as we didn't make it to the Zoo or Arlington. Went to Arlington with my family as a youth, I still remember the silence and my mother's tears at JFK's grave...). Just being in DC kinda renewed my faith in this country after watching too much, ad nausuem, TV news regarding the upcoming elections. Again, the ideals of this great country are ideal...

Make sure you visit the Air/Space Museum at Dulles...

Didn't make the Zoo. One of many reasons to return. I'm sure the kids would come home with stuffed Panda dolls!

• hicowhicow Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 TL with about 7,000 miles. I've been calculating my mileage manually and also monitoring the computer. The computer has been consistently showing 2 MPG better than the actual mileage. That's until the last fill when the computer showed 2 MPG worse than the actual calculated. The only change has been the weather which is warmer now. Anyone else experience this fluctuation?

The best highway mileage so far is 32 when I set the speed control at 70.
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Posts: 11
    I just filled my third tank of gas on my new 08 TL. Each time I waited until the low fuel light came on, each time filled 13 gallons. Manual calculations are 22 MPG, with mixed city/hwy driving of roughly 50 miles/day.
  • rickpoolerickpoole Posts: 27
    My 2007 TL has shown computer readings anywhere from 18% lower to almost 21% higher than computed mileage. However, an average of 4 successive readings shows a range of only 1% lower to 11% higher. This points out that even though there is much more error in the mileage computer than one would expect a lot of the reported differences are in the variability of the "fullness" of the tank after each fill-up. It is very difficult to fill each tank to exactly the same amount and it is easy to end up putting 1/2 to 1 gallon less than expected due to things like unlevel ground or nozzles that are too sensitive. One of these days I'm going to fill up at the same pump 4 times in a row and see how the indicated mileage compares with the computed mileage.
  • zeenzeen Posts: 390
    I just completed a trip of about 400 miles RT in my '08 TL. The trip was about 70% highway mileage, although the off highway part was hilly.
    I didn't do my own calculation but my trip computer idicated an average mpg of 16. Am I in trouble or what?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    That sounds pretty low....

Do you have the type-s?

My '05 TL would consistently get 22mpg in mixed driving (mostly city)

When on the highway, what was your average speed?

When you say hilly do you mean Pike's Peak or the rolling hills of Kentucky?

Steep hills can certainly destroy gas mileage especially if you have a load in the car.

The last issue is gas grade, I used 93 in my TL. If you use less than 91 your mileage will suffer
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    Just did round trip 300 miles each way, highway only 07 base TL 6000 miles
    and got 30 MPG by calculation, computer said 32 on the way down and
    31 on the way back, 70-80 MPH.
    If you are getting 16 on the highway there is a problem.
    Old MIke
    OK My mistake. Just did a 120 mile mostly highway trip and the computer had me at 33 mpg. I drove 65 or less and tried to stay at or under 2000 rpm. It was easy with the 6 speed transmission. Once you start doing local roads or accelerating rapidly, there is a sharp drop off in mpg. 33 is quite good and it wasn't hard.
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Posts: 11
    Up to my 7th tank, still doing about 22 MPG on mixed driving manual calculations. On last tank, I drove nearly 60 miles after low fuel light came on, and still only filled 14.8 gallons! With a 17.1 gallon tank, this easily suggests a range of over 100 miles after low fuel light comes on, which means it really isn't a low fuel light!

Do others have a similar experience with the low fuel light?
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Yes, the low fuel light comes on very early. It has been this way since the '04s. Acura REALLY does not want you to run out of gas! :surprise:

I think the issue is that if you do run out of gas, the setiment in the tank will get into the fuel injectors and really muck up the works. And with as highly tuned as these engines are, that would be very very bad. :sick: SO, better safe than sorry I guess.

To me it's no big deal. I doesn't matter whether I pay $50 (I wish) to fill up when it is really empty OR to pay $45 when it is has a few gallons left. I'm using the same amount of gas overall either way. Of course I am at the station a little more frequently, but that is not an issue to me.

In reality, I fill up between 1/4 and E. Occasionaly I delve into the murcky after-empty range, but not too far. It isn't important to me that I squeeze every last drop out of the tank.
  • miketl07miketl07 Posts: 16
    Drove from KC to Omaha on first tank avg speed 62 mph (majority of 220 miles were highway) computer said 33mpg actually seemed to stop at 33mpg) filled up in town and manually calculated 35.11 mpg ( I was delighted to say the least). a few months later took a 120 mile round trip pretty much all highway, filled up before and after trip at same station in fact at same pump. Computer said 32MPG I manually calculated it at 26MPG. Average speed 55 mph. Weather conditions and road conditions nearly identical. Anyone else experience such a fluctuation before? I was careful to fill to full (as best you can) the same amount, again same station same pump and same pumper me of course.
  • chirocatchirocat Posts: 73
    I have a question; How the hell do you drive a TL at less than 70 on the freeway? My daily commute is about 22 miles, 16.5 or so is freeway and I average 80 but I have to pay attention because it wants to go faster. I try to keep the RPM @ 2750 on the freeway and under 5000 under acceleration. Even with an 80 mph freeway drive and "spirited" acceleration the rest of the time I still manage no less than 23 (manual calculation). I did one pure freeway jaunt after a fill up, maybe 40 miles and the computer showed 30 mpg at a steady 80. Right now the car's computer is still "optimistic" about the mileage but only by about 1 mpg now.

The car is a 2008 TL-S with 6M and 7000 miles. My mileage fluctuates very little, and mostly due to a change in my route. If I spend some time driving around town or make a trip to another city that I don't usually make, I can change the mileage but not by much. It rarely varies more than 1 mpg. I can't be happier with the car overall, it's the best of both worlds! Having this kind of performance, luxury and this kind of mileage? My previous car was 450 lbs lighter, 100 HP less and got WORSE mileage!
    I have an 08 auto. Drove about 110 miles and was able to keep the rpm around 2000 with the exception of coming out of a toll booth etc.
    Averaged 33. That's the key, but it's painful when you know you have this great engine.
  • drmikedrmike Posts: 3
    Those of you not hand-calculating your mileage and relying on your vehicle's computer have no real idea of what mileage you are getting. Your on-board computer is not a reliable instrument in measuring mileage and shouldn't be counted upon to give an accurate reading.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I checked my calculated mileage against the car's computer a couple of times and was surprised that they were both the same.