Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Comments

• superdavidsuperdavid Member Posts: 24
    This is exactly how you calculate the MPG. TL is not an economical car, if you want fuel efficiency, go with Corolla or Civic.
    Just bought a Acura TL 05 certified pre-owned for 2 weeks. Using the car on board computer, I got 11 MPG from morning short trip (about 2 mi, driving the kids to school), up to 17 MPG local and up to 30 MPG strickly highway. And I am quite happy with the mileage. Remember, this is NYC traffic, you have to stop every 4-5 traffic lights, stop and go. Unlike some other folks lucky enough to live in suburb which local traffic means driving 30-40 MPH and stop once in a while. :)
  • bhulikbhulik Member Posts: 1
    I've got just over 8,000 on my 2007 TL-S 6M

Lifetime average is 24mpg. Highway I've gotten as high as 32 on long trips at a steady speed. Its the around town stuff that kills the mileage - Its too much fun winding it out before shifting.
  • chirocatchirocat Member Posts: 73
    My computer's average is about 40mph and 24 mpg. The actual mileage average so far over my first 1200 miles has been just over 22. Considering that I accelerate much harder than average and cruise at 80 on the freeway leg of my commute, I am VERY happy with this mileage. The TL-S is commendably efficient considering it's performance level. I have a friend who drives conservative compared to me and managed an average of 18 with his 04 G35X. Considering the the 08 TL-S rivals that car and is just behind the new G35..... I can't say anything negative about the TL-S mileage.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Remember though that the G35x is an all wheel drive vehicle and gas mileage will suffer as compared to the FWD TL. It will be interesting to see where the '09 TL's MPG falls with SH-AWD.
    The G35X needs to be judged relative to the G35, which seems to get the same or less MPG then my conservative driving friend. I would say the AWD costs the G35X maybe 1 mpg. It just can't compete with the TL-S, (the G35 6MT), they weigh the same, same size engines, similar HP but the gear ratio is pretty low on the G35 and it eats the gas. At least for my driving, which is about 80 mph for the bulk of my commute, the Acura can not be beat. It just quietly idles along at 2750 RPM, where my old Maxima was doing 3300. The G35 is only slightly better than my old Maxima as far as RPM goes.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I have owned several 3G TL cars, most recently an 08 TL-S. My 07 TL over about 11K miles averaged 22.4 MPG while my Type-S over 8,100 miles averaged 21.8 MPG. Most of my driving is my commute in suburban ATL 20 miles each way averaging 25-29 MPH. I'm thinking of a G35, be scared of all those saying they get 18MPG or less!
  • lockgiantslockgiants Member Posts: 29
    rickpoole, thanks you for your post!

i completely agree with you and am also very unhappy with the mileage reader. I just got a new 08 TL in dec. currently i have 4100 miles on it. The trip computer is consistently over my actual mileage by 2 mpg. I am currently averaging 22 mpg. my reader always tells me im getting 24. my driving is in between stop/go and highway ( my work route is 55-60mph, with lights in between). in regards to my driving style.. its very modest. I take the car over 3000 rpms on only a few occasions, and average 70mph on open highway. not a speed deamon by any means. I would love for you to keep this forum posted to see how acura handles your complaint. I will be going for a check up pretty soon and would like to learn something from you so i can better mention my displeasure. THANKS!!
  • rickpoolerickpoole Member Posts: 27
    I've been doing a series of tests over the past couple of months since my mileage seems to vary quite a bit driving to and from work. Fortunately I have a short drive, less than 4 miles, and it stands to reason that when it was colder I would get worse mileage since the car would barely have time to warm up before the end of the trip. The drive time to and from work is almost always about 15 minutes usually with stopping at 3 lights and averaging 40-45 mph. I was resetting the trip computer before leaving the house or work and seeing what it read at the end of the trip. What the dealer can't explain is why it varies so much. When it was 35-45 degrees I was averaging 12-13 mpg in the morning and 22-24 mpg in the afternoon. If it always got 12-13 mpg in the morning it would seem that it just uses a lot more gas when warming up. But, on a few mornings I got 18 mpg with about the same drive time and stopping at the same lights. Because all the sensors are ignored while the engine is warming up there is no easy way to tell if it is sometimes using way too much gas during warmup. Based on my research most fuel injected engines use 15-20% more gas during warmup. My tests show it uses as much as 50% more. For the past week I've been letting it idle for 2-3 minutes before leaving in the morning and the mileage has gone up by 2 mpg. Acura can't explain it and would not provide the designed warmup gas consumption information so there is no way of knowing if it is operating as designed. My dealer has agreed to swap for a 2008 TL for a week or two so I can do the same tests with another car (they couldn't locate another 2007 TL). BTW - now that it's warmer I've been averaging 19-21 in the morning and still 22-24 in the afternoons (still not hot enough to start using the A/C) so this test may have to wait until next winter.
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    Our 2000 TL that we bought new now has 67K miles after a 2500 mile trip. I like to drive very fast on vacations and this trip was no exception with speeds reaching nearly to the triple digits at times. The trip was over 2400 miles and this awesome car averaged 29.95 MPG. I use the mid grade fuel all the time.
    I put new Goodyear tires on it about a year ago and before leaving, made sure the air was right on. I have never replaced the air filter but I blow it out with compressed air every month. It also has the original plugs. The car has never been to the Acura dealer for any maintenance except for a tranny mod recall. Other than regular oil changes at the local Honda garage and myself installing new Brembo brake rotors, the car has had zero maintenance costs.
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    My wife (and of course I) recently bought a 08 TL. She drives it and pays for the gas!! I bought an 08 Prius.. and love the car. It's not a TL for sure, but has many features I like. I read these posts and can only feel sorry for us (all). It's only going to get worse. In the mean time, I'm getting about 50 mpg on the Prius.. take a look sometime - you might like the Prius too.

sc
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Back from our week in Washington, DC. For those that have not visited our nation's capitol, I highly recommend a visit. Totals from roundtrip from south of Boston to DC area, four people and very full trunk!:

Miles: 1124 85% highway, 15% local. Including traffic jams on the way, back and on the Outer Loop (I495)
    Avg. MPH: 49
    Avg. MPG: 27

TL was flawless, but now pollen and dirt covered... "Cheapest" gas in NJ.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Greetings! Just back from a road trip/family vacation to Washingmachine, DC. TL was flawless, packed to the gills with the four of us and detritus, encountering several traffic jams and some local driving, drove 1124 miles and averaged 49mph and 27 mpg.

I'm sure y'all have been, but if not, I most highly recommend a trip to our Nation's Capitol. If nothing else, it reminded/reinforced that the idea, conception, governmental model and ideals of this country are just so right. I'll leave the execution of our ideals throughout history to your discussion. Where is George Washington when we need him? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you...

Toured the Capitol Building, sat in the House Gallery and was entertained by a Representative from the Great State of South Carolina. Thank you, Rep. Barrett for a fun, enlightening time. Watched a resolution presented and objected to regarding The Delta Queen. Kids were getting fidgety, so had to leave before all the yeas and nays were tallied, it was a close race. Fabulous tour guide, Albert Caswell the "unofficial Poet Laureate" of the Capitol.

Also, rode to the top of the Washington Monument, toured the Bureau of Engraving and Printing ("The buck starts here!") several Smithsonian Museums, showed the kids the White House.

I had two very emotional moments, chilling, prideful, patriotic, depressing, scary...:

First was at the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport. Go, do not miss this museum! One section of the museum was dominated by a large, familiar looking, shiny metal aircraft. As I drew closer, I noted the name: THE Enola Gay. Stopped me in my tracks, as a cold shudder engulfed my body. A show-stopper for me...

The Second was the Vietnam Memorial. Crowded, beautiful, chilling, depressing, stunning, reverant. I would imagine any Baby-Boomer would have such feelings. I looked through the index for the name of my summer camp counselor who, if memory servers, received a draft number in the 30s that summer oh so long ago. To this day, I remember his name, the look on his face when he received his number. Much to my relief, his name was not on the wall. "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own..."

Also visited the WWII and Korean monuments which were also sobering, but Vietnam was, unfortunately, "my war." Stopped in front of the IRS building and booed rather loudly.

Stayed in Landover, MD. Took the T, I mean Metro, into the city daily. A relatively clean, efficient subway system. One funny note: Each day the Metro would go by RFK stadium just before going underground. ONe day it appeared that there was a tractor-trailer school training future 18-wheel drivers in the parking lot of RFK. The next day, one of the very tall light towers was on the ground in that same parking lot, no sign of the tractor-trailer folks!

Great vacation, so much to see and do. Almost all free, but you do need tickets for the Washington Monument tour, Capitol and Bureau of Engraving. All worth it.

Go, even if you've gone before.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

LD,
    Great post, I have a buddy who lives an hour away from D.C.(who happens to own an '05 TL!) and the last time we saw him we took a trip into the city. Visited most of the sites you did. It truly is awe inspiring to see some of these sites in person that maybe you've only seen on TV. My wife had never been. Now you've got me jones'en to go again!
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Thanks for the travelogue!

I visited the National Zoo and really enjoyed it. The Pandas are amazing.
    Go, Doc. I could go back tomorrow (as we didn't make it to the Zoo or Arlington. Went to Arlington with my family as a youth, I still remember the silence and my mother's tears at JFK's grave...). Just being in DC kinda renewed my faith in this country after watching too much, ad nausuem, TV news regarding the upcoming elections. Again, the ideals of this great country are ideal...

Make sure you visit the Air/Space Museum at Dulles...

Didn't make the Zoo. One of many reasons to return. I'm sure the kids would come home with stuffed Panda dolls!

• hicowhicow Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 TL with about 7,000 miles. I've been calculating my mileage manually and also monitoring the computer. The computer has been consistently showing 2 MPG better than the actual mileage. That's until the last fill when the computer showed 2 MPG worse than the actual calculated. The only change has been the weather which is warmer now. Anyone else experience this fluctuation?

The best highway mileage so far is 32 when I set the speed control at 70.
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Member Posts: 11
    I just filled my third tank of gas on my new 08 TL. Each time I waited until the low fuel light came on, each time filled 13 gallons. Manual calculations are 22 MPG, with mixed city/hwy driving of roughly 50 miles/day.
    My 2007 TL has shown computer readings anywhere from 18% lower to almost 21% higher than computed mileage. However, an average of 4 successive readings shows a range of only 1% lower to 11% higher. This points out that even though there is much more error in the mileage computer than one would expect a lot of the reported differences are in the variability of the "fullness" of the tank after each fill-up. It is very difficult to fill each tank to exactly the same amount and it is easy to end up putting 1/2 to 1 gallon less than expected due to things like unlevel ground or nozzles that are too sensitive. One of these days I'm going to fill up at the same pump 4 times in a row and see how the indicated mileage compares with the computed mileage.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I just completed a trip of about 400 miles RT in my '08 TL. The trip was about 70% highway mileage, although the off highway part was hilly.
    I didn't do my own calculation but my trip computer idicated an average mpg of 16. Am I in trouble or what?
    That sounds pretty low....

Do you have the type-s?

My '05 TL would consistently get 22mpg in mixed driving (mostly city)

When on the highway, what was your average speed?

When you say hilly do you mean Pike's Peak or the rolling hills of Kentucky?

Steep hills can certainly destroy gas mileage especially if you have a load in the car.

The last issue is gas grade, I used 93 in my TL. If you use less than 91 your mileage will suffer
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Just did round trip 300 miles each way, highway only 07 base TL 6000 miles
    and got 30 MPG by calculation, computer said 32 on the way down and
    31 on the way back, 70-80 MPH.
    If you are getting 16 on the highway there is a problem.
    Old MIke
    OK My mistake. Just did a 120 mile mostly highway trip and the computer had me at 33 mpg. I drove 65 or less and tried to stay at or under 2000 rpm. It was easy with the 6 speed transmission. Once you start doing local roads or accelerating rapidly, there is a sharp drop off in mpg. 33 is quite good and it wasn't hard.
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Member Posts: 11
    Up to my 7th tank, still doing about 22 MPG on mixed driving manual calculations. On last tank, I drove nearly 60 miles after low fuel light came on, and still only filled 14.8 gallons! With a 17.1 gallon tank, this easily suggests a range of over 100 miles after low fuel light comes on, which means it really isn't a low fuel light!

Do others have a similar experience with the low fuel light?
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Yes, the low fuel light comes on very early. It has been this way since the '04s. Acura REALLY does not want you to run out of gas! :surprise:

I think the issue is that if you do run out of gas, the setiment in the tank will get into the fuel injectors and really muck up the works. And with as highly tuned as these engines are, that would be very very bad. :sick: SO, better safe than sorry I guess.

To me it's no big deal. I doesn't matter whether I pay $50 (I wish) to fill up when it is really empty OR to pay $45 when it is has a few gallons left. I'm using the same amount of gas overall either way. Of course I am at the station a little more frequently, but that is not an issue to me.

In reality, I fill up between 1/4 and E. Occasionaly I delve into the murcky after-empty range, but not too far. It isn't important to me that I squeeze every last drop out of the tank.
  • miketl07miketl07 Member Posts: 16
    Drove from KC to Omaha on first tank avg speed 62 mph (majority of 220 miles were highway) computer said 33mpg actually seemed to stop at 33mpg) filled up in town and manually calculated 35.11 mpg ( I was delighted to say the least). a few months later took a 120 mile round trip pretty much all highway, filled up before and after trip at same station in fact at same pump. Computer said 32MPG I manually calculated it at 26MPG. Average speed 55 mph. Weather conditions and road conditions nearly identical. Anyone else experience such a fluctuation before? I was careful to fill to full (as best you can) the same amount, again same station same pump and same pumper me of course.
    I have a question; How the hell do you drive a TL at less than 70 on the freeway? My daily commute is about 22 miles, 16.5 or so is freeway and I average 80 but I have to pay attention because it wants to go faster. I try to keep the RPM @ 2750 on the freeway and under 5000 under acceleration. Even with an 80 mph freeway drive and "spirited" acceleration the rest of the time I still manage no less than 23 (manual calculation). I did one pure freeway jaunt after a fill up, maybe 40 miles and the computer showed 30 mpg at a steady 80. Right now the car's computer is still "optimistic" about the mileage but only by about 1 mpg now.

The car is a 2008 TL-S with 6M and 7000 miles. My mileage fluctuates very little, and mostly due to a change in my route. If I spend some time driving around town or make a trip to another city that I don't usually make, I can change the mileage but not by much. It rarely varies more than 1 mpg. I can't be happier with the car overall, it's the best of both worlds! Having this kind of performance, luxury and this kind of mileage? My previous car was 450 lbs lighter, 100 HP less and got WORSE mileage!
    I have an 08 auto. Drove about 110 miles and was able to keep the rpm around 2000 with the exception of coming out of a toll booth etc.
    Averaged 33. That's the key, but it's painful when you know you have this great engine.
  • drmikedrmike Member Posts: 3
    Those of you not hand-calculating your mileage and relying on your vehicle's computer have no real idea of what mileage you are getting. Your on-board computer is not a reliable instrument in measuring mileage and shouldn't be counted upon to give an accurate reading.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I checked my calculated mileage against the car's computer a couple of times and was surprised that they were both the same.
  • joeolds3joeolds3 Member Posts: 8
    Have run 1 and 1/2 tanks through tl we bought on July 14 using premium fuel. averaging about 21 mpg (hand calculated). My wifes daily commute is about 50% highway and 50% city streets. Also the first tank had quite a few "fun" runs with me behind the wheel. The computer said 23 MPG, but it got zeroed out about 50 miles into the 1st tank, after I stopped driving it.
  • otisnjotisnj Member Posts: 15
    4700 miles on my TL-S - I just drove 640 miles up to Vermont and back - cruise was set at 70 MPH with A/C running - and averaged 30.4 miles per gallon

I am amazed.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Just over 16000 km (10,000 miles) on my 07 type s, it spends 70% of it's time doing 5 minute stop and go across town, the other 30% on 2 to 3 hour runs across the flat prairie at 110 km/h (65 mph). We get about 4 months of over 25C. about 5 months of 0 to 25C and the rest at -10 to -35C.
    Lifetime mpg imperial is 24 (29 US mpg). Pretty good considering my extreme climate and excessive town driving
  • sanrus_tlsanrus_tl Member Posts: 1
    Just bought TL 05 36k miles. Here's what i got, based on computer readings.
    City -> 18-20 MPG
    Highway w AC -> 30-31 @ 75mph
    Highway w/o AC -> 30 @ 80mph
    The car is real deal!!!!
    As drmike says the trip computer is not reliable in calculating real mileage. I've had my 07 TL for 18 months and the trip computer typically reads 8-10% higher than actual mileage. To even out the tank to tank discrepancies I keep a running average of the last 4 tanks/trip computer readings. No one at the dealership or at Acura has been able to explain the poor accuracy.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    2006 TL Auto..round trip to Wash DC from NJ, about 500 miles, 35 mpg. Had a stretch from Delaware to DEC where we got 37.
    Wow! When we did Boston to DC and back in April, my '05 TL with 4 passengers and a full trunk of luggage averaged 27+mpg. Probably 85% highway driving, including traffic jams in Jersey and around DC... IIRC, about 1100 miles total.

Wow is right, my '05 never cracked 30 on the highway. That's Honda Civic mileage.
    Did you install a Tornado or something?
  • njspikernjspiker Member Posts: 18
    the specs list the MPG for 17/26, please share your real world MPG! thanks!
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    only have 600 miles on ours, but so far on two tanks 80% freeway and using a scangauge we have 28.2 and 30.1 mpg, Scangauge reads about 1.2 less than the car's in house computer.

Edna
    Just got back from a trip from Dallas, TX to Fayetteville, AR. Trip computer showed 32 on the way up and 30 on the way back. Manual computation showed overall average of 29.5. Most driving was done at 70-75 MPH. Had about 20 minutes of creaping or sitting still in OK on the way up and a 25-30 MPH headwind on the way back. Drove through Fort Smith twice and some driving in Fort Smith and about 10 minutes of creaping along or sitting still. Filled up with 93 octane before leaving Dallas but could only find 91 octane when filling up in AR.
  • smlull163smlull163 Member Posts: 15
    Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in as well. Bought a 2008 TL 3.2 in September. I drive 50 miles a day. about 55% highway and 45% surface roads. Having said that, I live in Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Norfolk) and the highway is RARELY above 35 mph. I drive I would estimate conservatively. I've been getting 24.8 MPG on 5 tanks. I did just do a short trip to Williamsburg and it looks like I got over 27. Not bad at all.
    Scott - Virginia Beach.
    I know I am a little late, but your post on the WDC trip was great. I flew from Columbus, OH 99$ RT) with my grandson to Dulles and rode a cab ($16) to the museum. Back the same day and well worth the trip.
    We have a 2008 TL now, bought in August, but only 700 miles on it. We are driving to Dallas(2300 miles RT) for Thanksgiving and I like to drive 80 to 90 on the freeway. I was looking for advice about driving that long, that fast, with so few miles on it.
    Your owners manual may say something about not using the cruise control until the car is broken in,check it out.

"I like to drive 80 to 90 on the freeway"

You need a good radar/laser detector, check out the wealth of knowledge on radardetector.net. They also have info on speed traps/types of radar/laser for your region. Happy motoring!
  • dlake1dlake1 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buying a 2006 - 2008 TL. My wife's Lexus 350ES has real time mpg readout in instrument cluster. I test drove a 2008 TL yesterday, and could only seem to get AVG mpg. Does TL have real time mpg readout? Even my old Eddie Bauer ford explorer had it. Surely TL would?

I like the burled walnut interior better in the 2006. The trim in the 2008 is... well not as appealing to me. But it's hard to find a 2006 with navi in Phoenix.
    The TLs only have avg mpg and it is notoriously inaccurate. Most people report it reading 5-10% higher than actual most of the time. The Acura techs I've talked to don't seem to surprised given how it is implemented. Most of them describe it as approximating the fuel consumption rather than actually measuring it. It's funny that most other Acura models have both avg and instantaneous mpg readings.
    Thanks. Too bad it's not instantaneous MPG. Acura should have it on the TL. One can gauge driving habits and try to "reform" and "refrain" from having too much fun accelerating :) . But it's also useful when cruising at constant speed.
    Can anyone explain how a 2006-2008 TL calculates avg mpg?
  • eblock2eblock2 Member Posts: 4
    With 800 miles on a '09 TL FWD I'm getting 19-20 mpg with roughly 50/50 city/highway driving.
    Leaving Sunday for Dallas (1200 miles each way) with 800 miles on the TL. I asked at the dealer about fast driving and they said 'no problem". I will post my MPG when I return.