Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Real World MPG

Comments

• kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    You got 34-36 mpg doing > 75 mph? Were you going downhill and shifted the car to neutral to get that kind of mpg :P
  • I bought a 07 TL/Navi a month ago. The fuel low alert comes on it seems when there is still 4 to 4.5 gallons left in the tank. Is that normal? I think the manual said the alert comes on when there is 1.5 or 2.5 gallons left.
    Thanks.
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    Yes, that's normal - I have an '06 and mine is the same. I always wait to fill up 'til the light comes on. I guess Acura doesn't want too many people calling Acura Care due to running out of gas!
  • dap2006,
    I think you're right. They're playing it safe, but the manual shouldn't say there's only 1.5g left when the alert comes on when it is a lot more than that.

I filled it up this morning after driving with the 'low fuel' alert for 35-40 miles. It came out to 14.3 gallons, so it still had more than 2.5 gallons in the tank.
    It's just a little annoying the light comes on so soon.
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    Getting 17 U.S mpg in city driving with stop start and maximum 5 minute runs before parking. Temps around 18C.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Getting 17 U.S mpg in city driving with stop start and maximum 5 minute runs before parking."

I sure hope that's not the type of driving you did during the break in period.

I know many Acura dealers are buffoons and will claim that it's really not necessary to properly break in the engine. But the advice I got for my Honda S2000 and Porsche 911 from several knowledgeable engineers and mechanics was identical: in addition to not over-revving and varying engine speeds, DO NOT start the car without driving it for at least 15-20 minutes so as to allow the oil (not just water) and all engine parts to reach full operating temperature. This enables the seals, gaskets, cylinders, etc. to seat properly.

That is what you should do for a high compression, tight tolerance, high performance engine. The TL-S might not be in the same league as the 9,000 rpm S2000 or the 911 engines, but I'd still consider it worthy of proper break in.
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Posts: 34
    DO NOT start the car without driving it for at least 15-20 minutes so as to allow the oil (not just water) and all engine parts to reach full operating temperature

You meant "DO NOT stop the car without....", I suppose...

I am curious. What happens if the car's engine did not have a proper break in? And if someone is buying a used car, how would they know that engine was not properly handled in the beginning?

Just curious,
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    And if someone is buying a used car, how would they know that engine was not properly handled in the beginning?

They wouldn't... that's the worst part about buying used.
    Improper break-in doesn't really start to show it's affects until 40-50K miles. You'll start to see oil consumption, poor compression, loss of power, poor fuel economy, and the list can go on and on from there.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Don't start", "don't stop", it doesn't matter. The point is that short hops (1-2 miles 5 minutes) during the break in period are strongly discouraged by those "in the know", that I respect. My Porsche delaer worked at the factory for a decade as an engineer. I spoke directly with a Japanese Honda factory technician regarding the S2000 before I bought. I hear the same from a highly respected BMW shop that handles many current and older 'M" cars.

As scottm123 pointed out, lots of things can occur if the car is abused (intentionally or not) during break-in. Performance suffers. According to my Porsche dealer, a high percentage of "rear main seal" leaks that occured in the previous genration 911 could be linked to bad practices during the break in period when engine parts, gaskets, seals, etc. should be "seating" properly. It's so damn easy to properly break in a high performance engine that it should be put on the label over the airbag warning on the visor.

I traded in my 2.5 year old 2002 Honda S2000 on an Acura TL in May 2004. The Acura/Mercedes dealer owner is a car nut and would only agree to take the car after personally test driving and doing a compression test. It passed on both counts and I gave him the "right answer" relative to what I did during the break in period. He has been known to refuse cars - especially AMG models - that were not properly broken in by their original owners. It's a small town dealership and he doesn't want to have the second buyer of an SL65 pissed off at him as a result of the first owner's transgressions.
  • swgordonswgordon Posts: 13
    I was driving my new TL yesterday (1 month old with 800 miles) on I95 and I averaged 33mpg. I was running consistently between 70 and 80mph. My wife drove the car home and she only averaged 31mpg. She drives slower at a pretty constant 60-65. I was expecting her to do better on the mpg but I guess the engine just prefers to be run a bit faster.
  • 30+ mpg is pretty darn good. My car's at just over 1000 miles on the odometer. I drove the first long distance trip over the weekend. It was 95 highway miles one way and I only got 26 mpg. On the way back we did mix of country back roads and highway and got 25mpg.
    Maybe you are getting better mileage because your car might have broken in better than mine?
  • swgordonswgordon Posts: 13
    Not sure. How do you drive? Do you accelerate fast, etc.. I have been trying to drive mine fairly conservatively.
  • Well, I do drive a bit "spiritedly" :)
    But I don't mash the pedal or rev the car. I will try to drive a bit more conservatively for the next 100 miles or so and see if it makes the difference.
    Thanks.
    Just got 30 mpg US on the highway, ranging between 90km/h and 120 km/h
    It had quite a bit of highway driving with speeds varied all the time between 90 and 125 km/h. It had some start and stop in the first 3000 km/h b/c that's just the reality of life. Had the RSX type S and treated it similar with no problems. This one will be traded as soon as the TL SH-AWD comes out, or as soon as the next baby arrives!!!
  • asmtl06asmtl06 Posts: 1
    I typically average 30-32 MPG between fill-ups (closer to 30 MPG during NY winters)…

* 2006 Auto TL, bought new, 18,500 miles to date
    * 85-90% HWY driving, 80-mile round-trip work commute
    * Typical cruising speed is 68-75 MPH, approx. 1900-2100 RPM

Thus far, the car has exceeded my mileage expectations. :D
  • Well, the mileage seems to be getting better. The odometer now is at 2k+.
    This weekend we did a 600 mile round trip to upstate New York. Drove mostly at around 80mph, but there were some slow spots (about 25% of the time) and some hills. Averaged 30 mpg one way and 31 mpg on the way back. I'm pleased with those numbers.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    2006 TL with 7,000 miles - normally used for in town driving - short trips - stop and go - heavy Houston traffic we get between 18-21 MPG.

Finally took a longer drive - did a little over 300 highway miles with no stops - left early and was in no big rush - drove very conservative - no fast starts - slow and easy all the way - set the cruise on 76 MPH - got 35.5 MPG - filled up again for the return trip - drove - MUCH faster on the way home - jack rabbit starts - passing trucks and slow cars - the engine sure does sound sweet above 6,000 RPM - and even though traffic was jammed up in a few spots still got 32 MPG.

Although 35.5 is great mileage I will gladly sacrifice 3.5 MPG for the extra speed - and fun the TL can give. We have a Mazda3 with a 4 banger that does not get as good as MPG as the TL.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    Just finished an 850 mile round trip from NYC to Skyline Drive in VA. Average mph was 70 and overall mpg was 30, that was with 3 passengers, full load of luggage and AC on all the way. We did some sidetrips, like looking for eats and buys around small towns. Overall mpg was more than satisfactory for a car with such power and performance.
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    Well first I find that the 07 MID MPG is not as accurate as my 04 and 06, those were virtually dead on. The 07 trip computer seems to be 1.5-2 MPG over estimated all the imte, but none the less I do real calcualtions on MPG and over 11K miles the car has gotten 22.4 MPG and most of that is commuting which is 20 miles each way in suburban driving, so go a few miles at 45 MPH then stop at a light kind of driving. I did get 27 MPG on on hilly highway drive to the mountains one day. I just got a 2008 Type-S so I am curious how it compares and how accurate its trip computer is.
  • Just did a 180 mile highway drive on my brand new 2008 TL. Had 1300 miles on it when I started..first 70 miles I was driving at 65-70 miles per hour and the average MPH was showing 34. Increased the speed to 75-80 for the remaining stretch and it dropped down to 33 MPG. I am pretty impressed with the mileage.. :surprise:
  • Has anyone done any comparisons between the average mileage shown on the trip computer and actual mileage (defined as the miles driven on a tank divided by the number of gallons put into the car?) On my first test of this in my 2008 TL the average listed was about 2 MPG higher than the actual, but I filled up when I had 1/4 tank of gas left. Do you think the accuracy would be higher if I ran the tank down to the red light?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,601
    Hi: Quick trip to the Berkshires this weekend in my '05 TL auto. 325 miles RT, 80/20% Highway/local roads. Per OBC:

Average MPH: 60
    Average MPG: 28

Whilst on the Mass Pike and 495, cruised mostly @ 80mph with bursts slightly higher and some traffic lowered into the 60s.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

You were able to hold an average speed of 60 on 495 on a weekend?!?

The westbound pike in Auburn was an absolute parking lot yesterday. :cry:
  • 80 mph on the Mass Pike? That's kind of slow from what I remember. :P
    80 is slow on the pike, unless it's 6:30-9 am or 4:30-7pm.

Then, every meathead in the world gets on the road and then slams on their brakes as soon as they see that weird glowing orb in the sky.

It's a sun people, buy some glasses!

Ugh. :sick:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,601
    Yeah, I saw the Westbound tie-up as I cruised home Eastbound. Actually, my average speed on 495/MassPike I'm sure was in the high 70s, maybe low 80s. But a bit of local driving in the Berkshires brought the average down. The left lane of the Pike was generally 80mph-ish.

I was passed by a black 'Slade on 495s Sunday. I was at 80, he was doing at least 100. Late for the Pats game, I guess... And he wasn't getting 28mpg (and probably didn't care)!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• Got it on a 5 mile stretch of Garden state parkway in NJ, after filling up and going right on highway in moderate traffic that kept my speed at a constand 50-55mph.
  • hkyhky Posts: 71
    Just did a first long trip for 06TL auto of 430 miles. Overall 30-31 MPG on highway average 70mph w/ AC on. Mostly city driving in town since ownership around 21 MPG. So far so good.
  • I also just completed a longish trip--in my 2008TL. It was 98% freeway, and I really babied it, doing 62-65 MPH most of the time. Part of the trip was rather hilly, though. My trip computer gave me a MPG of about 31.4. I know this because it was switching back and forth between 31 and 32 toward the end of the trip until finally settling at 31. Not really believing the trip computer's accuracy, I did a very careful measurement of actual MPG, dividing miles traveled by gallons used. The result was 29.0 MPG--about 8% lower than indicated by the trip computer.

That result--8% off--accords with my less precise measurements done around town, where the trip computer usually read around 20 to maybe 21 MPG, and my calculations come in at 19.

I am not really very happy with these figures, but they are pretty close to the EPA estimates of 18 and 26. I suspect with more normal driving, my trip mileage would be down 1 or 2, to around 27 or 28.