Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    The Paris auto show (coming in two weeks) will be interesting as Mazda shows off some promising future directions including the new Kiyora and 1.6 and 2.2 diesel engines:

"Kiyora helped the designers to imagine a city car cutting cleanly through an urban landscape, with water as the design theme. Equipped with Mazda’s next generation 4 cylinder direct injection engine and featuring the company’s unique Smart Idle Stop System, the car achieves excellent fuel economy and low CO2 emissions ... an all-new platform designed to maximize weight reduction "
    Source: Mazda global site

At the same show, Honda will launch its Prius-fighter, an entry level hybrid. The Honda CR-Z hybrid looks pretty amazing too but will be coming in a future show.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I'm very intrigued about the new Honda Prius, I mean Insight. LOL. The darn thing looks like a Prius.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The darn thing looks like a Prius.

And that's a good thing? :confuse:
  • Decision: Should I wait until Feb or should I get a good deal on the '08 or '09 Mazda3?! I love the looks of the Mazda6! With the upgrade of engines, i.e., more power and better fuel economy, and better looks...wow But new is new. My Dealer told me today that I could get a great deal on current 3s. He said that they would accept the S-Plan. They may not do that with the new '10 Mazda3s. But I hear that the quality of the '09s are awesome as the '08s were great! tyvm :shades:
    Should I wait ... or should I get a good deal
    Define a good deal and you'll have half the answer.
  • I'd be happy with the S-Plan :shades:
  • 1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory.
    1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory

I did not know that! What was your source? Is the information online?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,967
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The 87 Honda Civic with the 1.3L engine was rated at 31city-39hwy gets an average of 52mpg, which is nearly 20mpg OVER the outdated estimates???? I highly doubt it.

I had a 1991 Accord with the 2.2L that was rated at 19city-26hwy and I never got the EPA estimates.
  • acdacd Posts: 11
    After several tanks of in town driving at around 27 mpg, my 2007 Mazda 3i 5 speed manual sedan came in at 34 mpg on a tank refill of 10.35 gallons and 359.1 miles. The first 100 miles of that tank were in town driving. The rest was split between 70 and 60 mph highway driving (with out air conditioning most of the time). After 2 years and almost 28K miles, I still love driving my Mazda! :)
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    According to the EPA, the 39/31 numbers are the 2008 updated estimates. The 1.3 manual had EPA estimates at the time of 43/37.

Maybe it was the 87 Civic Coupe 1.5 HF which had the old estimates of 57/52. I don't remember the Civic having that high of a mpg. That must have been the CRX to get that high.
  • "They are also revisingthe MZR 2.0L to be more powerful and fuel efficient." Hi aviboy. I would assume that this engine is going to be the base for the up coming 2010 Mazda3. I have also heard that the new Mazda3 may come out in Jan. instead of Feb. I wonder if it will be possible to order a 2010 Mazda3 before it comes out onto the showroom floors? take care and thanks again, Pam and Randy :shades:
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    ...and along with that - will the '10 hatch require the bigger engine like current gen?
  • Played economiser for first 1,000 miles on my new MS3. Got 30.3 MPG from onboard cmputer.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,782
    Got 30.3 MPG from onboard computer.

Ever since I bought my MS3 I've been tracking it's fuel economy and comparing it to the OBC calculation. I've found that the true mileage averages @95% of the OBC number; if my OBC shows 28 mpg the actual mpg will be around 26.5.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello all. I am purchasing a new Mazda 3 5-door and have a few questions. I really want the factory installed navigation in my car so does anyone know how it works? I know the graphics may be a little outdated but as long as it works effectively, that's what I want. Secondly, I was thinking about purchasing a cold air intake to give my car more power but how will it affect my gas mileage. I mean am I gonna sacrifice 2mpg or more? And the third issue I had was I was thinking about putting the spoiler from the Masdaspeed 3 on my Mazda 3. But my friend says that will also affect my gas mileage a little. Cmon! I mean how much heavier is the other spoiler. And lastly, should I get it in black or metroplolitan grey? Both gorgeous colors. Thanks!
  • I have 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback with 2.3 engine and automatic transmission.
    My commute is urban stop and go but I live very close to work and probably a quarter of the miles are on the highway on weekend trips. It currently has 3500 miles.

I have never and I mean NEVER gotten above 22mpg. Usually it is 20 or 21 mpg sometimes less. The only time I got 22MPG was on out of town round trip which was almost entirely on the highway. I measure the mpg by always filling up the tank at the same gas station and dividing the mileage on the gallons filled. I don't race from traffic light to traffic light and I rarely go above 75mph on the highway.

Somebody has mentioned that it takes time for the engine to 'settle' but I am beginning to get a little frustrated since obviously a lot of Mazda owners are getting much better MPG even right out of the bat.

So what I may be doing wrong? Does it sound like I just got a lemon? Any suggestions or driving tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • You have a lead foot but may not think so? hold gears too long? down shift too much? the gas you are using is trash? your car doesn't have sufficient time to warm up during the commute? you are in a hilly area? you have to hit many traffic lights? It's already cold where you are + hills + traffic lights? you brake too hard and have to accelerate more to get up to speed? you have a trunk full of cement? forgot to untie the dead Buck or Boar from your roof rack? Ah! You have a bicycle or kayak roof rack? you drive around with said bicycle, kayak, and dead wilflife on your roof rack through the snow, up hills, stopping at every traffic light and don't realize all four tires are punctured. :P
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,967
    Don't forget another factor... ethanol. I'm taking about a 10% hit on mileage in both my vehicles now that ethanol is everywhere. Pretty much everyone I know is seeing this effect. Check the The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol discussion.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

So what I may be doing wrong? Does it sound like I just got a lemon? Any suggestions or driving tips would be greatly appreciated!

Suggestion: for the next two weeks slow down by 10 miles and see what happens.
    I predict your fuel economy will miraculously improve!
  • brtedbrted Posts: 7
    My manual 2.0 liter sedan gets about 28 mpg with similar driving and about the same number of miles (3000 miles in the six months I've had the car; I drive a mile to a transit station for work and most other driving is in town). When I was really having fun driving I was getting 22-25 mpg and was horrified. For some reason I thought it was better to have the AC on fresh air at first (in hot humid Georgia). Driving to conserve fuel and putting the AC on recirculate got me to 28 mpg, which is about what I expected, though I hoped for more than that. With a bigger engine and automatic like you have the mileage would be less.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I'll slow down and will throw away the dead buck. :) If I'm not too lazy, I'll report in couple if weeks.

I use Costco gas in SoCal so if they are known for adding ethanol/crappy gas let me know.
  • 2.0 m3 auto with a combined mpg of 29, I have fun and I make sure not to go over 65 mph. I simply drive in a way where I avoid stop and go sequences. My M5 2.3 gives me a combined 24.5 mpg. You have to know what speed to apply during your routes. There are times when 65mph is no problem with no stops, but there are times when 50 mph is the velocity. When you find yourself passing and being passed your driving wrong, your suppose to catch up without braking harshly. You'll notice the cars that pass you get stuck ahead because there racing thinking they are going to get to a place faster by doing so, in a stop and go it's best to flow.
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello all. Buying a 2009 Mazda 3 Hatch this month and I had some questions. I am thinking of buying a cold air intake for more power but my friend who owns a 2008 says I'm nuts. I have test driven this car a few times and I know it has power but what about the highway? I frequently drive over 80 and am I going to have trouble passing people, making two lane passes, etc...?? Do I need this intake? Also, does the intake really help that much? I have heard mixed reviews about it. And I can't seem to find one online for a 2009, I only see for 2008 models and below. It's the same engine and should fit, right? Thanks.
  • Slow down and skip the air intake - you'll save gas by doing both! Why would you need to pass anyone on a two lane road (I assume you mean one lane in each direction) if you are travelling at 80 MPH?

PS - We may live in very different areas, but there is no place around here that it is legal to go anywhere near that fast.

All that being said, however, I don't think you should have any power problems trying to pass at highway speed with just about any car on the road today - they can all go over 80. The only time this ever becomes a problem is when the person you are trying to pass speeds up (which, surprisingly happens often). If that's the case, don't bother. It's not worth it to save three minutes on your trip.

Good luck - the Mazda 3 is a great car!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Car: 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed

Worst tank: 1,809-2,129 miles (319.9 net) -- 11.480 gallons -- 27.87 mpg
    - - Notes: Includes lots of local driving and sub zero temperatures.

Best tank: 2,895-3,301 miles (406.1 net) -- 12.389 gallons -- 32.78 mpg
    - - Notes: 85% highway, mostly on cruise control set at 70 mph, temperatures in the high thirties/low forties.

Overall: 3,301.4 miles -- 110.024 gallons -- 30.01 mpg

Given that the engine is still far from being broken in (from a fuel economy perspective), and given that the temperatures have often been well below freezing, I'm thinking that a 30 mpg overall average is pretty good for a car used for a daily commute to and from work.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 508
    That is pretty good, Shipo, considering the conditions. At 3500 miles, I was averaging 31.25 mpg, but the weather was a lot more pleasant here, and I've managed to avoid the worst traffic.

Here's my info since Nov. 2007:

2008 Mazda3i Touring 5-speed

Worst tank: 245.7 mi., 8.806 gal., 27.90 mpg
    Best tank: 397.8 mi., 11.414 gal., 34.85 mpg

Overall: 18,126 mi., 576.574 gal., 31.44 mpg

Also just a daily commuter. Sometimes I beat traffic and cruise along at 60 mph the whole way, sometimes I sleep in and it takes an hour to go the 22 miles to the office. There have been no long highway trips at all. I'm pretty satisfied.
    Overall: 18,126 mi., 576.574 gal., 31.44 mpg

Congratulations. You beat Consumer Reports overall fuel economy rating of 30 mpg for the Mazda3i with manual transmission. These days it probably helps if you're in Texas rather than Vermont ;)
  • After over 15K miles, I am averaging just under 28 MPG. Most of my driving is urban ( SF Bay Area ) freeways, some local / city thrown in. I usually drive the freeway at about 73 - 75 MPH ( indicated 75 - 77 MPH, per my Tom Tom GPS, the speedometer is a few ticks optimistic at this speed ).

I am very pleased with the real world mileage, especially considering how peppy and fun this car is to drive. It's not a sports car but is nicely powered and handles well. It's comfortable and a darned good value for the cost ( OK, I got it for $800 UNDER dealer invoice after a long bargaining session! ).

I thought about some modifications, such as CAI and cat back exhaust. Yep, I have done the mod thing before, I like it! But in this case, why bother, this car is "transportation", it's plenty powerful and works well as is.

Saul