Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Real World MPG

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I agree with you that the engines have become larger (and in most cases the vehicles have become heavier) but I disagree that the fuel efficiency has been improved. The fact that a Mazda3 hatchback has a bigger engine but delivers the same 25 mpg that my six year old Protege5 is what I lament.

This is not only the responsibility of the manufacturer but also ours. As consumers we should get the message out to auto manufacturers that a bigger, heavier box with more hp but without more mpg is not an improvement.

The writing has been on the wall for several years. As we all know, various auto manufacturers have proposed hybrids, diesels, biofuel, electric, hydrogen-based and other solutions. Mazda has jumped on the bandwagon but frankly I have not heard a coherent message about improved fuel economy for their North American market. For example, Mazda Canada has brought the Mazda3 hatchback with the 2.0 L engine (available in Europe) which seems like a sensible interim step. But what we are really looking for is the innovative step that realizes the demand for a car that is truly fuel efficient. Think 50 mpg for the commuter vehicle as the baseline.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    There is no car right now that gets an average of 50mpg. The technology is just not out yet to get that.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Are you referring to 50 mpg combined, or 50 mpg highway? I ask because it is apparently quite easy to attain 50 mpg (without even hypermiling) in the new 2009 Jetta TDI.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I am referring to 50 mpg combined. Outlandish? Not really. The Toyota Prius comes closest so far at 44 mpg, the Honda Civic Hybrid is at 37 and even the mid-size Toyota Camry Hybrid is at 34. The newest-Prius fighter from Honda will be interesting. So, an automaker who wants to raise the bar with their next vehicle should be aiming for 50. GM has the right idea with the Volt; the only question is can GM deliver. After all the gas price horror stories, why would manufacturers think that their newest models should offer a larger engine and not better fuel economy?

My point again is that auto manufacturers that keep on pumping up the HP without improving fuel economy will face the music. Has Mazda been listening?

Lighter, more fuel efficient, more innovative ... zoom zoom
    Besides the Prius, nothing even comes close! The Civic Hybrid is 13mpg away from a 50mpg average. Really, unless it's a hybrid, you cannot come remotely close to 50mpg average. Not even the Jetta TDI. So you as saying Mazda is behind the ball on hybrid production.

Mazda has been listening, they are introducing their new start-stop idling engine technology starting with 2009 models. They already have a working plug-in hybrid that uses a lithium ion battery, however, unless the cost of the batteries come down, they will not mass produce it. (Something GM is having a problem with in their Volt.). Their new 2.5L I4 is on par with every other mfgrs mid sized 4 cyl. They are also revising the MZR 2.0L to be more powerful and fuel efficient. They also have the world's first production application of a catalyst combustion (MZR-CD) treatment process that enhances the removal of particulate matter from the exhaust gasses via a diesel particulate filter. It produces 184hp and 285 ft-lbs of torque and gets a remarkable 42mpg.

You keep ignoring the fact that their 4 cyl engines were designed 6 years ago. They have their new engines coming out. They already have out the 2.5L, and are introducing the new 2.2L MZR-CD in Europe, which is also a clean burning diesel, and a revised 2.0L. Outside of a gas-electric hybrid, they offer everything else, with the exception of the Tribute HEV (hybrid) which is really a Ford.
    Besides the Prius, nothing even comes close! The Civic Hybrid is 13mpg away from a 50mpg average. Really, unless it's a hybrid, you cannot come remotely close to 50mpg average. Not even the Jetta TDI. So you as saying Mazda is behind the ball on hybrid production.

I assume you're quoting EPA numbers and not real world numbers. FWIW, even the EPA has acknowledged that their new test does not reflect the real-world mileage capabilities of Diesel cars. If you go over to any of the sites that are popular with the Diesel crowd, you'll see that there are in fact many-many folks that average over 50 mpg in mixed driving.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I have read that people can get around 50 hwy. I don't think I have seen anyone getting an average of 50mpg.

I really hope Mazda decides to bring over their 2.2L MZR-CD. For me personally, I would not buy a VW. I understand they have a reputation of building good diesels, however, it's the rest of the car that worries me!
    I really hope Mazda decides to bring over their 2.2L MZR-CD.
    I agree.

I would not buy a VW
    Consumer Reports rates the current Rabbit superior to the Mazda3. I think consumers may want to give VW another try.

I stand by my earlier statement about fuel economy that "Mazda has jumped on the bandwagon but frankly I have not heard a coherent message about improved fuel economy for their North American market." It's one thing to have protoype vehicles on a test track, it's another thing to have them available as options in the consumer market. It's painful to read European auto magazines that show the wide array of models (like the Mazda2 or the Mazda diesels) that are unavailable in North America. I find it difficult to understand in the current environment how auto manufacturers can think that big boxes (like Mazda's CX9) are the future even in North America. These heavy behemoths obviously offer the potential for increased profit, but only if someone buys them.
    The 2010 Mazda3 is due out in February, and the 2.5L will replace the 2.3L, and they are upgrading the 2.0L to be more economical.

Interesting. Any additional information?
    Anything official? Unfortunately not. However, when I get my hands on it, I will fill you in!
    The Paris auto show (coming in two weeks) will be interesting as Mazda shows off some promising future directions including the new Kiyora and 1.6 and 2.2 diesel engines:

"Kiyora helped the designers to imagine a city car cutting cleanly through an urban landscape, with water as the design theme. Equipped with Mazda’s next generation 4 cylinder direct injection engine and featuring the company’s unique Smart Idle Stop System, the car achieves excellent fuel economy and low CO2 emissions ... an all-new platform designed to maximize weight reduction "
    Source: Mazda global site

At the same show, Honda will launch its Prius-fighter, an entry level hybrid. The Honda CR-Z hybrid looks pretty amazing too but will be coming in a future show.
    I'm very intrigued about the new Honda Prius, I mean Insight. LOL. The darn thing looks like a Prius.
    The darn thing looks like a Prius.

And that's a good thing? :confuse:
  • Decision: Should I wait until Feb or should I get a good deal on the '08 or '09 Mazda3?! I love the looks of the Mazda6! With the upgrade of engines, i.e., more power and better fuel economy, and better looks...wow But new is new. My Dealer told me today that I could get a great deal on current 3s. He said that they would accept the S-Plan. They may not do that with the new '10 Mazda3s. But I hear that the quality of the '09s are awesome as the '08s were great! tyvm :shades:
    Should I wait ... or should I get a good deal
    Define a good deal and you'll have half the answer.
  • I'd be happy with the S-Plan :shades:
  • 1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory.
    1987 Honda Civic, 52 MPG, 2200 LBS from the factory

I did not know that! What was your source? Is the information online?
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! Mazda ownership is not a requirement! :) Just bring yourself and your love of cars and the desire to discuss anything and everything automotive and you're good to go!

The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

The 87 Honda Civic with the 1.3L engine was rated at 31city-39hwy gets an average of 52mpg, which is nearly 20mpg OVER the outdated estimates???? I highly doubt it.

I had a 1991 Accord with the 2.2L that was rated at 19city-26hwy and I never got the EPA estimates.