Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Real World MPG

Comments

• garv214garv214 Posts: 162
    I have a 2002 Protege5 with 77K miles. I drive my car nice and easy (55-60mph in the right lane) for my 35 mile round trip commute and I average 30 mpg. I was averaging around 26 at 65-70mph, but decided to slow down when gas hit $3/gallon.

Happiest day of my life is when the OEM Dunlops wore out at 37K miles - they had awful wet weather traction. Replaced with Firestone Fusion Z-rated tires. I uprated the rubber to 205/50/16 which was way cheaper than trying to find 195/50/16 tires. The wider tire and stickier rubber reduced my mileage by 10%, but I got all of that back by slowing down.
  • ardaproesardaproes Posts: 12
    My Protege ES 5spd with 180467 miles on it is getting me around 22-27 mpg depending on my habits.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    My Protege ES 5spd with 180467 miles on it

What year?
    Excellent.
  • wrobisonwrobison Posts: 1
    I have recently bought a 1992 Protege DX with the 1.8L SOHC and 5 speed manual. While the body is suffering from salt corrosion (Minnesota winters are bad), the engine at 112000 miles still gets me 32mpg combined (70% City/30% Hwy). I do cheat a little and coast downhill and maintain as much momentum as possible. I haven't had the opportunity to do much long highway driving with it, but 70mph is about 2750RPM on the pizza cutter sized 175-70R13 tires.
  • 11b33t11b33t Posts: 51
    Kewl beans & congrats on your older Pro. My 92 EX is still hauling butt w/an average MPG of 28 city/34 hwy. She's got 140k on her and I still drive it like it's stolen on 195/60R14 tires. Keep good OCI's, good common sense maitenance on her & they'll run darn near forever..
  • For my last two tanks i tried too keep away from the high RPM's and i got almost 28mpg on the 80% city 20% hwy combination usually it is around 23 because i drive mine like a rental car. Anyways at 190200 miles it is still pulling hard
  • hackdhackd Posts: 65
    Just noticed this post...I have the same car (50K miles) and same commute. I don't have such a lead foot and am able to consistantly get 25 local and 30+ highway in long Island NY.
  • Mine is a 2000 ES with 5 spd if i drive gently i am sure i can pull it up to -30+ mpg
  • Hi,

How is everyone? I have been enjoying my 2003 Protege5 since I bought it Sept '07. It only has about 18000 original miles on it. Automatic. My question is gas mileage. I thought I would be getting over 30 mpgs with this. Not the case, I am averaging about 25 mpgs.
    I drive 90% highway and drive a consistent 75-80mph. 27 miles to work then 27back. Just wondering what you guys are getting for mpgs.
    Also wondering about my rpm ranges. Car seems to really rev from sixty up. My rpms are just over 3000 for 70 mph and about 3400-3500 for 80 mph. I use cruise control and was on flat highway when I documented this.
    Just a touch of the peddle or a slight incline automatically adds 2-300 more rpms.
    I really am not use to an automatic tranny, this is my first one in years. Last being a '69 Camaro, my first foreign. So I have no experience with their performance.
    Is this consistent with the other automatics out there????

Thanks for any input,
    JJBroc
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Everything you're experiencing is normal. When the EPA lists higway mileage, that is at 60 mph. Anything faster than that and your mpg will drop. Optimum fuel mileage will occur around 50 to 55 mph.
    Everything you're experiencing is normal.

Agreed. In Consumer Reports testing they found the overall mileage to be 25 mpg; exactly what you are receiving.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    With the 1.6L engine and an AT, I am able to consistently hit mid to high 40 mpg (personal record is 48mpg) when traveling between 45-50mph consistently.

Mostly local driving with some stop-and-go and idling, and a light foot, I average 27mpg. If I let my lead foot get the better of me, this will drop to 24mpg.

On the highway, traveling mostly 65mph (on long trips), I get around 34mpg. Upping the average speed to 70mph, I get only 32mpg. At an average speed of around 75mph, my fuel efficiency drops to 29mpg. I avoid going faster than that to avoid 1) getting busted for speeding and 2) I can't tolerate worse fuel economy. :surprise:
  • Yeah, your experience is normal.

I own a 2002 Protege5; 5-speed manual. When I bought it almost 2 years ago, I was getting about 27-28 mpg hwy and 23 mpg city. On the highway I drive 75-80mph just like you. I had a normal paper air filter....it was new.

I have since replaced the air filter with a K&N drop-in air filter. No difference in performance, but I now get between 25 and 27 mpg city and about 32 mpg hwy! Huge difference! Get a K&N filter immediately.

As for the rpm, the automatic is geared taller than the manual. With the manual, in 5th gear, 60 mph is just under 3000 rpm, 70 mph about 3400 rpm and 80 mph at about 3800 rpm. Fortunately, the engine is not loud so it's okay on smooth roads....on rougher roads the wand/road noise is quite loud.
  • mazdanutmazdanut Posts: 2
    I'd be glad to get that kind of mileage. I have a 2002 5 auto and I got 21 mpg on my last tank with a 50/50 mix. :cry: My mechanic is scratching his head. I'm about to giv it up and trade it in on a newer Mazda 3. :)
  • P5 2002 with 60,000 miles.
    Last gas was Sunoco 86 and I got 23 mpg. Worst yet.
    On highway 1200 mile trip to Vermont from Ohio, I've gotten 35 mpg. I consistently get 32 mpg highway and 25-26 mpg city. The latest is something new. I'm changing the plugs, but it may be the Sunoco 86. Most times I use 87 octane (always whatever is the lower rated fuel available at the station).
    I think it is well worth experimenting with fuel brands.
    I've experimented with other vehicles and never could make the dollars and cents work out running high test and getting 1 to 3 mpg improvement on a trip.
    When I had a Honda 50 mini motorcycle in college, I tested Shell, Amoco (white hightest), Mobil, and could get 2 miles per hour top end improvement with the good fuels (top end speed was 45-50 mph).
    I think the same opportunity lies with brand research if you commute.
    Gas up Monday with Brand A. Fill up on Monday with Brand B. Keep a book for 6 gas brands for six weeks, and then be loyal.
    Calculate your cost, dollars per mile if your gas prices vary, and you get a real measure of which gas gives you the most miles for a buck.

ZoomOH
    Gas up Monday with Brand A. Fill up on Monday with Brand B. Keep a book for 6 gas brands for six weeks, and then be loyal. Calculate your cost, dollars per mile if your gas prices vary, and you get a real measure of which gas gives you the most miles for a buck.

Hmmm, this seems like an elaborate test that may or may not prove much. I would expect that most national brands do not vary much in price or quality.
  • I have a 2002 P5 auto-tranny W/82000mi , I drive 42.7 mi each way to work , here in So. Fl. If you aren't driving minimum 70mph you get run-over.(these are the most aggressive drivers in the US.) I run my car @3100 RPM (I don't look at the speedo unless there is a cop around) and am getting 28 to 31 depending on the temperature and traffic conditions,and , run my A/C when the sun is up.Tires have a lot to do with your mileage too(195x50-16 Federal 545's came on mine) The oil is changed every 3 to 5K with straight 40w and I upped my mileage from 25mpg avg by adding a K&N drop in .
    You may consider buying a K&N ...*30 bucks......U notice immediately better performance and fuel consumption.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Just keep in mind that the K&N will allow much more and much larger particulate matter into your engine which will increase wear on every friction surface. Good luck.