Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Real World MPG

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
This topic is for Mazda6 owners to share and compare their actual MPG.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• I will average about 22 MPG on combined highway/city. However, since I have been doing more highway driving to my new job I have experienced 25 MPG the last few times I filled up.
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Posts: 58
    I have put 6100 miles on my wagon. So far I have averaged 22 MPG. When I drive it to work, which is 70% hwy, I get 25 MPG, but when my wife drives it, which is all city driving, don't get more than 20 MPG. I started getting 25 MPG when I crossed the 5000 mile mark, but at the same time, the temp. got warmer. During peak winter the max I could get was 22 MPG. It will be interesting to see how will I average next winter.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... which engine/transmission your 6 has.
    V6 6-speed auto
    V6 5-speed auto
    V6 5-speed manual
    I4 5-speed manual
    I4 4-speed auto

Depending on how crazily (or judiciously) I drive, my I4 manual mileage ranges from 21 (ouch!) to 34 (whee!) mpg. Regular, mostly-city driving during warm months is 26+, these days. Almost 30K flawless miles now :) Lifetime average, per my Spreadsheet, is a smidgen over 26 mpg at just over $1.89 per gallon!
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    Thanks for that reminder! I forgot to include that in my initial post. :blush:

• sadlosadlo Posts: 6
    I've got an 04 wagon...V6 with the 5 speed atuo. Got it on a Friday and on Monday left for a business trip that logged about 2100 miles. Over seven tanks of gas I averaged 24.3 mpg. This included highways from Ohio through the mountains in W VA and VA. About five days of mixed city driving in North Carolina and back through the mountains again. I was pretty happy with the 24. I hope it goes up a few mpg after I get some more milage on her.
  • mimazda6mimazda6 Posts: 9
    6s sedan with 5-speed manual. Only had it 7 weeks. 3000 miles, average mpg 23.7. Drive about half and half city and highway, highway usually 75 - 85 mph.
  • likaglovlikaglov Posts: 82
    2004 6s AT (5-speed). I average 19-20 MPG with 75% city driving.
  • 2004 6S, 5-speed manual, 7,400 miles. Total overall: 26.8 mpg. Best tankful: 29.5 mpg, all highway. Worst tankful: 24.3 mpg. I rarely do any "city" or "stop & go" driving. My commute route has mostly 50-65 mph limits, 12 miles, 5 stop lights. I've been pretty satisfied with the car to-date. Only major gripe: trying to launch the car smoothly from stop on an incline (imprecise electronic throttle control and touchy, vague clutch pedal).
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Posts: 58
    I have got a 2004 MZ6 Wagon V6 5-speed Auto with 7,600 miles on it. Past weekend I had been on a 600 mile long trip to Wisconsin dells, this was my first long trip on this car. I averaged 29.4 mpg, all highway with A/C on, three on board and baggage. I used the cruise for the most part of the driving and had set it to 70 mph.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028

• sevenseassevenseas Posts: 44
    Took a trip from Los Angeles, CA to the Monterey Bay area.

Using Chevron gasoline:
    23.5 mpg mostly highway driving (heavy traffic) 20-60 mph
    23.8 mpg 90% highway (light traffic) 55-60 mph

Using Shell gasoline:
    26.7 mpg 90% highway, 55-65 mph
    29.1 mpg all highway 60-70 mph

hmmm, never considered possibility of different gas formulations affecting mpg, any thoughts? :confuse:
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    Have a 2004 6S, V6 Auto 5 spd. Averages 22 mpg mixed driving, best so far on 90% hwy is 25 mpg. Just passed 10K miles with 0 problems. (the sticky brake dust is really a pain, though). I still don't think this car is fully loosened up yet; hope to see 26 + hwy someday! :)
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    Are you buying/using the different brands in the same season, similar weather conditions, same area, altitude, etc.? Weather can have serious effects on mileage, and in many areas of the country, higher levels of methanol are added to gasoline formulations in the winter especially. Methanol has a lower energy content than gasoline, so combined with cold tempeeratures mileage can drop by as much as 20%. Altitude can make a difference too if you were purchasing gas formulated for mountain areas, often lower octane ratings, are used. I'm not familiar with gas formulations in the southern Cal area but I don't think excessive cold is the culprit there;) Here in Michigan it's a different story.
  • sevenseassevenseas Posts: 44
    I would say driving, road and weather conditions were similar, purchased during a 4 day trip for the Fourth of July week. It must be the Shell formulation that improved mpg. I have a Chevron credit card but am considering switching to Shell due to the difference between 23 mpg (Chevron) and 26-29 mpg (Shell). I plan on taking a survey of Shell gas stations in my local area to see if it is worth changing services. :shades:
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    I have a 2004 wagon and so far I have been averaging 23mpg on mixed suburban type driving. I only had one all highway, and with 2 bikes on the roof I averaged 25.

I'm happy with that , coming from a V-8 Durango as my previous vehicle the 6 seems like an econobox.
  • tzoomertzoomer Posts: 18
    2004 Mazda6 Wagon, V6, 5-sp AT, 5500 miles in Midwest, relaxed driver.

Best: 26.9 mpg (rural highways 40-75 mph) @ 2000 miles.
    Worst:18.3 mpg (short city trips) @ 4700 miles.
    Average mpg = 21.8 (mostly town).

Summer versus winter driving has little effect (21.4 ±3.2 summer, 22.2 ±3.4 winter !) compared to city (less than 22) vs. highway (>23) .

These are with AT in Auto, since the Manual flappers are a big disappointment to me (engine brain still decides exactly when to make the shift, which throws my timing off).

Terrific handling, right-sized car :D with a woeful throttle response. :cry:
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    All local in FL with A/C running all the time about 20 - 21 mpg. V6 ATX.
  • 257 miles 11.8 gallons=21.7 mpg, car has 450 miles on it.
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    I have an 05 Mazda 6s V-6 with 6 speed auto, 2500 miles. Been getting 24.5 - 26.5 MPG so far.
  • christanchristan Posts: 10
    For my first tank of gas in my new 6i, 4-cylinder, the gas warning light came on with 2 gallons of gas remaining.

Nearly all of the 16 gallons used were on the highway.

Average mileage: 30.5, just below the 31 highway mpg advertised for this model. I'm hoping the city driving gets me at least 24 mpg, as also advertised.