Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 Real World MPG

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,914

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Last three fillups of gas have shown 28.0, 28.8 and 27.9 mpg. Mainly highway driving.
  • 04 6s 5 spd auto, 32K miles. Rarely do I break 20 MPG with my mixed city/hwy driving. I thought it would have improved after the initial break-in, but never did. Additionally, this is WITH an installed K&N air filter. On trips, I've managed to get more like 25 MPG, but those aren't typical. I love this car, though!!!
  • For my 2004 6s Hatchback, MTX, 43K miles, my normal mileage for a weekly commute of 13 miles each way (2 lane hwy, 2 stop lights)+ short 3-4 mile excursions around town averages 24-25 MPG. Highway mileage for trips up to DC running 65-80 has been 28-29 MPG.

Today I test drove a 6s with the 6 speed automatic and was amazed at how much less the engine RPMs were at 60 MPH (about 2000 RPMS vice 2500 RPMS for my MTX). That should translate into much better mileage for the auto, unless the engine is loaded too much with the lower numerical gear rating. Any 6 speed auto owners getting 30+ MPG on the hwy?
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Posts: 121
    In the 5 tankfuls it took to drive from NY to IL and back for X-mas in my '06 6i 5 sp., we got 30.1, 30.6, 30.3 31.6 and 29.7, driving pretty steady between 70-75 mph. Rainy weather out, nice weather back didn't seem to make any difference. Still have yet to make it all the way to the 32 EPA highway estimate. Now have 6500 mi. on car.
  • zzzooomzzzooom Posts: 17
    What equipment do you have? Sunroof, etc?

Also, how many people were in the car on the trip and how much luggage?

I am torn between getting another 6 but cant decide whether a 6 sp auto or 5 so manual.
  • I am impressed with almost all aspects of my 2006 6s Grand Sport but the fuel economy is the most surprising.
    For my daily commute it is consistently going 29 to 30 miles for each gallon of the cheapest fuel I can find.
    My commute is about 65% highway, has more than 20 traffic lights and posted limits are 45 or 65 mph. I typically accelerate from a stop slower than most traffic and drive about 10% over the speed limit. Fairly conservative driving overall although I do speed up for corners :D

I also feel the 6 speed auto is responsible for the great mpg numbers: it drops into 6th somewhere between 40 and 45 mph. I've never done an extended highway-only trip with this car, but I expect I'll see something in the mid 30s.
    Mine is the hatchback 6i - it came in a "sport" configuration w/ spoiler, 16 in tires on alloys, fog lights, and the other things included in that package. No sunroof or other options. This trip was 2 people with a full trunk and a few presents and such thrown on the back seat. The RPMs on the highway are between 3,250 and 3,500, which I find a bit high compared to other cars I've owned and is probably responsible for the so-so mileage. I wish there was an overdrive 6th gear or that 5th were at least a bit taller.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    I am torn between getting another 6 but cant decide whether a 6 sp auto or 5 so manual.

At least wait until the '08 redesign, with the rumored 3.5L V6 with 6-speed manual... :)
  • I purchased a new 2004 M6S 5-door (hatch), 3.0 liter V-6 with the 5-speed manual transmission in December of 2004. I use a small spiral notebook to keep track of each fill-up (mileage, gallons, cost) along with all maintenance (oil/filter changes, air filter, tire rotations etc). I drive pretty conservatively (few jack rabbit starts), usually within 5-10 mph of posted speed limit and I don't rev the engine too high unless accelerating onto the highway or merging into traffic.

In calendar year 2005 I put 15,048 miles on the car and used 523 gallons of fuel, which resulted in an average of 28.8 mpg.

In calendar year 2006 I put 15,468 miles on the car and used 561 gallons of fuel, which resulted in an average of 27.6 mpg.

The 24-month average over both years (2005 and 2006) was 28.2 mpg, not bad for the 3.0 liter V-6 engine. I'm not all that surprised at the drop in mileage from 2005 to 2006. My commuting pattern has changed (more stop-go), and we've had a much more severe winter this year here in Colorado. I also used the a/c a lot more in the summer of 2006 than I did the previous year.

Maintenance-wise, I've been very pleased with the car with the exception of the clutch (chatter, vague engagement), which was repaired (clutch plate replaced) under warranty last year. The only other major criticism I have is with the performance of the throttle body fuel injection system and the throttle (seems to have a mind of its own at times), which I'm betting is mostly noticable to those M6 drivers with the V-6 and a manual transmission.

Happy New Year, and happy driving - zoom, zoom! :D
  • I own a 2003 Mazda 6s, automatic and every option that was available at the time. I never had a problem with gas mileage, I would get about 28MPG highway and 25MPG city, which was fine. I moved cross country to California from Massachusetts and got great numbers (as much as 28 MPG) with a car completely full of my belongings.

However, after living here for over a year, this past summer my car began giving me terrible mileage. It went from 24 to 21 to 18 and now I get 13-14 and 16MPG if I'm lucky. The drastic dropoff took less then a month. I used to go 200+ miles before the tank was at the halfway mark, now it gets there at about 110 or so. I've brought it to the dealer several times and they run all sorts of tests and find nothing wrong with it. The car feels just like it always has, nothing is hindering it's performance and nothing has changed. I bought new tires at the end of the summer and expected better results but I get the same. And yes, they're blown up to the correct amount.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? I'm at 48,000 miles and my warranty is almost up. I'm so worried that as soon as it ends the dealer will then 'find' the source and charge me a ton to fix it..
  • It's funny... I'm having a similar problem with my 2004 wagon, and just bought mine last week. My car hit the half-tank mark at about 120 miles, going close to E with about 235 miles on it. I have done a lot of research on my wagon, and it may be a bad inhibitor switch, or I may need a new transmission. I bought the wagon with a little over 44k on the clock, and it was certified, so I have a good amout of warranty coverage left. I am going to find out what the problem is, because it the same time I noticed the gas mileage drop-off, I noticed that the transmission started to shift gears more roughly than usual. Will keep you posted and let you know what happens...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace! :) Do let us know what you find out.
  • Wow, thanks for that info, definitely keep me posted. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I actually have noticed a problem with switching gears (it's basically always done it though). Sometimes when I'm stopped at a light, when I hit the gas to go the engine will rev, the rpm's will shoot up but I'll barely move, then all of a sudden it's like it kicks in gear and jolts me forward. Right around when my gas mileage began to suffer that was happening a lot, but then it went back to just doing it occasionally. I brought it to the dealer and told them about it, they test drove it for 10 minutes and said nothing was wrong.. They also did a diagnostic check on the whole car and nothing came up. Frustrating..
  • Well, I go in for service tomorrow. Thankfully, I am getting much better gas mileage even now, but I am still going to get the car checked out. What I'm noticing now is that my check engine light is now on, and the car now has a bit of a grinding noise to it. I am going to ride in the car with my service dept. tomorrow and make sure that they see and hear the problems. Your problem, though, may be related to the kind of gas that you're putting in the car, especially since CA has tons of unnecessary additives that actually make some cars perform worse (you moved from MA, right?). Well, if you have taken your car to one specific dealer, take it to another Mazda dealer and have them look at it. That would be the best advice that I can give you...

P.S. Vast improvement: was at 1/2 tank with my wagon, and had about 195 miles on the trip computer. Never really notice just how many miles you drive until you really wring this thing out. I mean, 195 miles... in less than a week????? I drive too much!!!!
  • New information... the gas mileage hit is most likely from your catalytic converter. They did the diagnostic the right way on my car (I had the jr. shop foreman look at it), and it was shown that I need a new c.c. It will be a while (part is ordered) since the catalytic converter is on nat'l back order. Then we'll see what happens. In the meantime, have them check the c.c. to make sure everything is going okay.
  • Hmm, sounds good. Thanks for the input, I'll see when I can get my car to the shop. After reading about it, it makes absolute sense. I'm not going to say that's my problem as well but I am about 95% sure that's what's causing the gas problems and the engine problems. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Living back home my father was basically a mechanic and would fix everyones car in the family, but now living 3000 miles from home he can't diagnose things over the phone and sadly his skills weren't passed down to me.. At least not the advanced skills.
  • Well, hopefully things will get a little bit better as i have put fresh oil and a new filter on. The catalytic converter is still the problem, I think, and thankfully that should be in sometime btw. Wed. and Fri. Will keep everyone posted, because the dealership where I bought the car from not only had too little motor oil in the car, but the oil that was in there had been in there for a while (it was black, and was gas-saturated). Will keep posted...
  • I recently put Thule racks on my 06 6s with the snowboard attachment. I also got the fairing but that doesn't really seem to help. My MPG average dropped from 23-24 to 18-19 which seems a little high to me, everything I read says that the most a roof rack will decrease performance is 5-10% but this is nearly 20%. Anyone have any feedback of mileage with the racks on/off? I haven't taken them off yet to see if it goes back cause they were such a pain to put on. But I'm losing nearly 100 miles to a tank cause of them and that's pretty significant $ w/ the cost of gas
  • NEW INFORMATION... The gas mileage drop is definitely from your catalytic converter. Get that done as soon as you humanly can, because this will injure your gas mileage even further and kill your performance. If you've noticed a lag in power, or you're pushing the gas pedal down and not going anywhere, THERE IS YOUR PROOF!!! The cat. is covered for 8 years/80,000 miles, but get it done as quickly as possible.
  • Thanks for the update, I wish I had an update for you.. I brought it to another dealer today and they told me that there was no way to check it if the 'check engine' light wasn't on. They've never heard of it being the converter without the check engine light coming on. So they told me to drop the car off at night and let them test it in the morning while the engine is cold to see if there are any pending codes.. So I bring it back next Monday to see if anything is on the verge of being considered broken. I don't really know anymore, if the light isn't coming on nothing is apparently wrong with the car.. It's a mystery!
  • I'm Canadian so all numbers in metric. Maybe someone on here better at math than me can make the conversions. Have only 3000km which I think is about 2000 miles on it. So far in weather between -10 and -20 C (low teens Farenheit) I have been getting better than the promised 12.1L/100km - consistently around 11L/100km - city mileage. That's significant. Am really pleased with everything. Came out of a 98 Subaru Outback and with snow tires don't miss the AWD at all. My 6 is great in the snow. Is WAY more fun to drive than the Outback.

Driving to Florida in March. Can't wait to make the trip in my 6!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    11L/100km is about 21 mpg
  • eod4652eod4652 Posts: 1
    I wonder if I’m having a similar problem. I own a 2003 Mazda 6s, automatic w/ sport package with approximately 44,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem with gas mileage, since I purchased it in August of 2003. From August 2003 to January 2007 my gas mileage was around 28MPG highway and 21 MPG city. In January my gas mileage suddenly dropped to 25 MPG highway and 17 MPG city. At first I assumed it was the cold weather (I live in Buffalo) however it’s almost May and the gas mileage is still bad.

I've brought the car to the dealer several times and they say nothing is wrong. I’ve tried different gas, a new air filter, and checked the tire pressure but can’t find anything wrong. The check engine light has never gone on. The cars performance and the acceleration feel normal. After reading this form I’m wondering if it’s the catalytic converter. Is there a easy way to test this as I don’t trust the dealer.
  • The dealer says there is no real easy way to test it. I actually have to bring it back in soon, I just got a recall about the fan control module. I'm at 49,500 miles and my warranty is up in 500 miles. I need this problem fixed before then. I honestly think my computer may be faulty. It may not be sending the error message because I swear the catalytic converter is the problem. So when I bring it in I am going to tell them to do as much work as they want on it and test out the computer. I'm still going steady at about 15 MPG city. Something that may be contributing to it is I haven't had it serviced since 15000 miles, but that shouldn't cause a 9 MPG difference overnight.

If they find anything I'll let you know.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Posts: 211
    Today I refilled the gas tank on my MS6. I had added ten gallons in between refills; so the total figures were 656.2 miles driven and 23.0 gallons of gas used. That is an average of 28.5 mpg. The miles were mainly highway, west to Vail and back, although I did get caught in Denver traffic once and took 40 minutes to cover 4 miles. The FE is 10 mpg less than I experienced with my Mazda3S, but still good for a 270 hp AWD car.

(Winter isn't over; it is snowing here tonight.)
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    I have a 2005 Mazda6 i sport edition, 4-cylinder automatic with 47,300 miles and constantly get 29MPG. The best I have got is 33MPG (Drove 461 miles on 13.81 gallons of gas). Keep up on the maintenance and mint condition.
    Just got back from a trip from NY to ME - a good chunk of it in rain, 1/2 and 1/2 as far as A/C. On 3 tankfulls I got, respectively, 34.6, 33.8 and 31.3. Best yet in the 11K I have on the car. I hope Mazda doesn't ruin the size, handling, mileage formula with its new upsized 6 next year! I like mine as is. Wouldn't want it any bigger.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,018
    2007 Mazda6i VE auto: I just drove from the nw suburbs of Chicago to Minneapolis and back. I filled up a couple of days before I left and drove about 50 miles in suburbia before leaving. Then did the road trip with expressway only. So I guess you could call it about 90%/10% highway/suburb. Filled up in Minny with 14.6 gallons and divided that into 460 which yields 31.5 miles per gallon. I started off with less than 800 miles on the car and drove between 65 and 75. Mostly had it on cruis at about 72. I think that is pretty good mileage as it's 2007 epa highway is listed as 31 plus the fact that it is so new.
  • Just to let you know I brought a 2007 6i automatic in oct.07 to replace the 2003 6s sedan that was stolen and totaled in Detroit. I just moved in August to Maryland. I love the car and I've seen pictures of the new 6 5-door, it looks AWESOME!! My MPG numbers in Michigan going to work were 26-30, in mostly highway commuting. In Maryland commuting, which is not Interstate, shorter and more rush hour traffic it ranges from 24-27. Not bad. I put a K&N air filter element in it. My 2003 Mazda 6s V-6 automatic was 22-28 MPG. I'm glad I got the 4 cylinder model with gas prices these days. O(h by the way I've arleady put 20,000 miles on it with no trouble. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.