Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Real World MPG

Comments

• zeeboyzeeboy Posts: 25
    Seems the 3.5 V6 is nearly as fuel efficient as the new Malibu in real world numbers.
  • Does anyone know a practical / economical way to change out the 3.29:1 axle ratio on the LTZ (3.9L engine) for the 2.86 ratio from the 3.5L engine?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    I'm getting 32 mpg hwy with my 2004 Impala, but it has the 3.4L engine.
  • superdowsuperdow Posts: 2
    My 3.4L 2002 impala has about 110,000 miles.
    I just got 33.5 mph on the "highway." That included driving through a few small towns with stop and go traffic.
    Most of it was 55 - 65 mph.
    City driving is about 25 - 27
    I try to "hyperdrive" by anticipating stop lights and stop signs. No jack rabbit starts.
    Lots of coasting when possible.
  • bena8837bena8837 Posts: 26
    I have a 02 impala with 3.4 and was getting about 31 MPG on highway and around 28 in city. It seems suddently I lost about 10 MPG and I have tried everything I know and even had it diagnosed at a Best of the Best Shop. They told me the ejectors were dirty and needed cleaning, got it done there. No change. The Spark Plugs have been replaced with original kind, Fuel Filter replaced, Air Filter changed, MAP Sensor Cleaned, Fuel Valve checked, and problem has not been resolved.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    How many miles do you have on it? Could it be your catalytic converter is getting clogged? If you feel like you're losing power as well, that might be the culprit (I never had a problem with mine, but I know others here has posted stories about the converter clogging up and causing power/economy problems.
  • bena8837bena8837 Posts: 26
    I started writing about a 10 mile loss in mpg several months ago. I tried everything I knew could be the problem by replacing the spark plugs(which appear to be fine), Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Cleaning the MAFF ? Filter on the air intake with spray, and finally had it taken to a (Best of the Best) Shop and had it (analyzed). They told me the ejectors needed cleaning and I said Ok. Drove it home and no change. Since then, when I have time I go under the hood and look at possibilities. About 3 weeks ago I notice moisture aroung the Coolant Temperature Sensor. So I decided to replace it. I drove to Dallas about a week later and guess what, I regained my MPG, 31+. Also, on the way there (about 400 miles away) I started having problems with the catalytic Converter and had it replace when I got there. It was still in warranty since my car only has 60K. My car always appeared to run in a temperature of about 191 degrees, which I believe I had read was within range. Heads Up to everyone who owns car with 3.4. Thanks for your help, appreciate it!
  • Just bought this Impala and first 750 miles with computer average is 22.7 in mixed highway and city driving with plenty of short run ins. This Impala is 3.5 L with 18" wheels and sports tuned suspension. I guess it will increase as this is break in period. Noticed big difference with 18" wheels and tight suspension as it stick to the roads. I wondered if this affects fuel consumption as well.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    Sticky tires will likely decrease your mileage; also if the diameter of your new wheels & tires is bigger than the factory setup, your speedometer/odometer may be off somewhat and give you a false (lower) reading.
  • this is factory installed. Came with 50th anniversary Impala and I guess the speedometer is adjusted from the factory as this was standard on the vehicle. Will post as I drive more about the mileage and alco check between fillups to ensure that computer mileage ie similar.
  • cnwcnw Posts: 105
    saxe--Glad to hear a report from an owner of a 50th Edition. I own a 2006 LT2, and considered trading for a 50th Edition--primarily for the Jewel Tint red and the sport suspension; I've already added the SS-style spoiler :) and the wheels/tires are an optional piece at any time. Keep us posted on handling and mileage as you get more miles on it. Clark
  • hjr3hjr3 Posts: 2
    I'm considering a 3.9L 2009 Impala LTZ but I haven't seen too much on what real world drivers are experiencing with the newer (2007-2009) vehicles. Can anyone share their mileage experience in city, mixed and highway (don't forget speeds) for this car equipped with the 3.9L. I'm also curious about your experience and thoughts on Chevy's Active Fuel Management for this engine.

Thanks
  • Hi i have 2001 impala with 3.8 engine and 60 k miles my gas mileage is less than 10 mpg city driving and max 20 mpg in highway 60mph steady speed .I pass emission test with success ,I dont know if there is lack of power because i drive slow ,I change the air filter already i like the car and want to have better mileage .Any help will be appreciated :
  • Wow, that's really bad mileage! The first thing that comes to mind is maybe a clogged catalytic converter, though you'd think that would show up on the emission test. The other thing would be to maybe make sure your transmission is shifting properly; my 2000 was a base model so it didn't have a tach, but if yours has one you might post your RPM when you're cruising at 60 mph and see if anyone else here can compare figures with you. But even without a tach you should be able to note when the transmission shifts, and make sure it's getting into 4th gear properly.
  • Hi nosirrahg Thanks for your answer the emission test was very good and showing very low values regarding the tach in 60 mph is around 1500 rpm ,the gear shifting properly . :sick:
  • I've had my car for 3 years now. Bought it with 20,000 mi, now have 112,000. When I bought it, I was consistantly getting 27 commuting to work (mostly rural highway, no freeway). It never used to matter if the A/C was on or not or how I drove, it was always 27. Now I'm down to 24 mpg since last winter. We did get 31-32 coming back from Tennessee to Iowa 2 years ago, which is the best ever. We've changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, cleaned fuel injectors, air filters, cleaned throttle plates, cleaned mass air flow sensor, coolant flush, semi-synthetic oil (every time), thermostat, transmission flush, among other things, trying to get our fuel mileage back. It's just not working. Anyone have any more ideas? Overall, I like the vehicle. It's really comfortable going down the road and has a great sporty feel to it. :P ;)
  • road46road46 Posts: 18
    I have a 04 Impala with the 3.4 engine. I now have about 44400 miles on this car and the highest mpg that I have obtained was 36.6 mpg driving from PA to VA. This was done by driving at about 60 mph with the air conditioner on the lowest setting, windows up. The best "average" highway mpg is around 32 mpg. I average about 22-25 mpg around town with a little bit of highway driving. You can also go to "True Delta. com and see real mpg figures reported by owners. If you are considering one of these cars they are reliable, safe vehicles and can be obtained at a good price used. I would try to get the latest model as I could afford. Hope this helps.
  • rysterryster Posts: 476
    "Just bought this Impala and first 750 miles with computer average is 22.7 in mixed highway and city driving with plenty of short run ins. This Impala is 3.5 L..."

My '06 Impala 2LT with the 3.5L has averaged about the same mileage as yours since when it was new. I now have about 33,000 miles on it and the mileage remains in the 21-22mpg range in mixed driving. Pure city driving nets about 19mpg, all highway driving 27-28mpg.
  • rysterryster Posts: 476
    "I own a 2006 LT2, and considered trading for a 50th Edition--primarily for the Jewel Tint red and the sport suspension; I've already added the SS-style spoiler and the wheels/tires are an optional piece at any time."

Adding the '06+ SS style 18" wheels to a non-SS '06 or '07 Impala is not a simple bolt on. The front would be a direct swap, but the rear strut mount plates are different between the LS/LT/LTZ models from the '06 and '07 model years and the SS models. To do the swap on '06's and '07's, you would also need to get the SS rear strut pieces installed...otherwise the SS wheels will rub on the back.

In the '08 model year, LTZ, SS, and the 50th anniv. models have the sport suspension as standard which allows them to run the 18" wheels unobstructed.

Adding the '06/'07 17" alloys from an LTZ to an LS or LT model would be a simple swap. The SS wheels, not so much. I looked into it myself, and talked to thers who had done it, and determined it to be too expensive. The 18" wheels/tires themselves would be inexpensive enough on eBay, but getting the rear suspension swapped out was going to easily add another $300 in parts and labor to the project.
  • cnwcnw Posts: 105
    Ryan, Thanks for the info. You answered several questions that I have had. I didn't realize that it was that involved; thought it was just a matter of changing wheels and tires. That also answers some of the questions I've had regarding what the difference in suspension is between models. I guess I'll just wait until I buy my next one and make sure I get the sport suspension. Thanks again, Clark