Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO v. Subaru STi

1161718192022»

Comments

• kjraiderkjraider Posts: 1
    Both Cars Run low 13s and you don't have to be a pro to do it either as some people think is the case, the auto in the GTO is faster and pulls a 13.0 compared to a m6 13.1, ive seen both times pulled stock, and the WRX ive seen as good as a 13.2 in the quarter. and the GTO does have good trunk space, but who needs it anyway, thats what backseats are for...
  • colejscolejs Posts: 1
    Well this comparison is no longer relevant anyway due to Holden's decision to can the Monaro as its sales were poor, especially in the Australian market. Also "classic American muscle"? Give me a break! Just like Top Gear 'claimed' the Vauxhaul Monaro, Holden's connection to GM is not doing the brand any favours and with such a rich muscle car heritage its a shame to have good Australian products assimilated by GM with little to no recognition of their creator. Anyway, the GTO Monaro, although a good car, was never very popular however if you can get your hands on a new VE Commodore SS or an HSV Clubsport...
  • ebaeebae Posts: 5
    As far as road conditions go...if that is the qualifier (meaning EXCUSE) that one has to use in order to equate the performance (meaning speed) of these vehicles, then so be it. (Personally, I dont do much racing in the snow or dirt). Also, 99% of street racing is in a line... the STI or EVO are better ROAD racing cars over complete courses, but on the street, the GTO's 400 ft/lbs. of torque is WAY too much for the little guys. (Also, the ls2's torque curve is as broad and flat as Ving Rhames's nose). Not to mention... I wonder what a STI or EVO would do against a supercharged GTO running the same level of boost? The real considerations dont even come into play until after the modifications get started. The GTO comes naturally aspirated with tons of room to improve... the STI's and EVO's come from the factory straining the very limits of what a 4-banger can do. The GTO is faster from the factory, and it only gets worse for the ricers from there.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Not true at all, tuned STIs can make more power, and in fact often do. There are entire clubs and threads on NASIOC for that single purpose.
    Yes, you may see an increase of 25 or 30% if you spend a butt load of money on an STI... but a GTO that employs a good turbo setup (i.e. Lingenfelter's kits) can experience a GAIN of 250-300 hp, equal to the ENTIRE stock output of the STI. As corny as it sounds, there's no replacement for displacement!
    You'll spend a fortune to do it, though.

With the STI all you need is a chip.

You're correct, but we're talking about very different pricing levels for those upgrades.
    At least you have the choice with the GTO... all the money in the world cant change the fact that your working with an inline four against a v8. Also, due to the bland styling, most gto's were purchased at about 5-6 grand below MSRP including the incentives...MORE than enough for a supercharger. :)
    Meh, I think that's just overkill. There's enough power to fry the tires on both of these bone-stock.

Let's see what GM can do with a 4 door, i.e. the G8.
  • misfit9845misfit9845 Posts: 2
    Subaru engines are not inline 4's, they are horizontally opposed or flat 4's, way better than any inline 4 I've ever owned. Personally I do drive a Subaru WRX (not STi), but I would love to own a GTO or similar car. Since I don't have to money to have both I took the Suby, I just like driving in dirt too much. As for earlier talks about the summer tires, I drove all winter on them through some pretty nasty snow and ice and they had no handling problems (they did throw all the snow into the wheel wells so I had to clean them out every other day though). I find the Subaru interior very comfortable and have no problem with the slightly rough ride quality. If you want to talk modded horse power numbers, there are companies making 1400hp STi drag cars. Its all in how you like to drive, just give me anything that I can have fun while driving. Right now I'm looking to put a 2000+ STi into a '96 Impreza Brighton Coupe body, much less weight and a plain, innocent looking body to hide the fun under.
    I wouldn't use summer tires in the snow.
  • misfit9845misfit9845 Posts: 2
    I got the car right as winter started and didnt have the money to get new tires.
    So instead of "house poor" you are "STI poor". ;)
This discussion has been closed.