Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO v. Subaru STi

Comments

• boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Not really sure why the editors would pick the GTO for everyday use.

For 'everyday' use a 4-door is much better. It also have a 'usable' trunk.

About the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile. Edmunds never abuses their rides. Check any other mag, and you'll see 0-60 times for the STi all under 5 seconds. 4.8-4.9 is very common.

I used to own an Evo, and it was the same thing here, they pulled 5.something whereas motortrend pulled a 4.69 or something. It's like they don't rev up and clutch dump (although abusive) like the other mags do.
  • sensaisensai Posts: 129
    Not really sure why the editors would pick the GTO for everyday use.

For 'everyday' use a 4-door is much better. It also have a 'usable' trunk.

Have you ridden in both? If you cannot tell the ride quality difference between the two, you are missing some nerves in your back. Which may be the case if you owned an Evo before :)

Also, 4 doors or not, the back seats of the Evo have no where near the comfort and room of the GTO.
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    Seems like the STi is good if the driver wants to drive Fast and Furiously - everywhere. Even to the grocery store.
    The GTO is more relaxed, while still posessing the ability to get up and run when prodded.
  • nojetsnojets Posts: 31
    Hear that Pontiac/GM? Think how many more GTO's you would have sold if you had taken the time to set up the fuel tank properly for the USA market instead of just slinging it in the trunk. I for one would have bought one
  • The GTO is soley for cruising and burnouts and some simple donuts. Big litre lots of noise type of racing and idea. But, the GTO doesn't really look that aggressive. The Mustang will totally beat the GTO in a comparison. Even if it beats the stock 'stang in 0-60. The pony will beat it in every other aspect. And yes that would have been a better comparison. But, the STi is made for PURE PERFORMANCE, this is the closest you can get, to getting a rally car off the show room floor. You will never see a GTO on the rally circuit. And, BTW I believe that rally is the most challenging race ever invented. Its the car version of Motorcross, except they're tearing up a country versus a stadium. I will hands down go w/ STi versus the ol' goat. Its time to kill the old goat. Besides GM is hurting soooo bad right now that they are giving their cars up for employee discount Except for Subaru's which happen to be under the GM umbrella. Hmmm something to think about. Oh yes Subaru's are safer too, that's if you care about walking away from the crash...

-Adam
    Well let me ask you this - if you crash a 3700 pound GTO against a 3300 pound STI, who do you think is going to walk out?

Wrong forum for the Mustang comparo, along with wrong information since the GTO beats the Mustang in all performance categories minus a couple useless magazine skidpad and slalom rating.

Otherwise you are right, the GTO is a cruiser and the STI is a performance car. Why they were compared, I shall never know.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Agree about the mismatch.

I know which one I'd pick to do smokey burnouts in. ;-)

I'd go with the STi as a daily driver because I need 4 doors and the versatility of AWD (with a 2nd set of tires too!).

-juice
    LOL, so they Chevy small block was only legendary 30 years ago? What planet are you living on? I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone else who would put the Subaru engine over the Chevy small block in any category, racing or otherwise.

Please post links of all these "spinning bearings" stories. In fact, I would be happy if you posted just one valid one for any modern LSx engine. And where are you coming up with the crap about them lowering the redline because of it? Your STI engine redlines a whole 500rpm higher than my LS2. The LS7 redlines at 7000rpms. Any more than that is going to be useless on a pushrod engine anyways as you would have driveability and emmissions problems on factory cars until they can implement cam phasing.
  • Edmunds seems have un conventional comparisons but this is something I can appreciate. STi & Evo has been beaten to death and so has the GTO and Mustang comparisons. The even have a Magnum RT compared to a Legacy GT Wagon out here. Anyway, The STi is a more track oriented car than the GTO was ever meant to be (weight, Brembos, suspension etc). The GTO is a GT car, IE Grand TOURING hence the more luxurious appointments. I drive my STi as a daily driver and there have certainly been days I would like to have leather, sunroof and a slushbox but then I drive the STi through the hill country and remember why I bought the car. As far as the "Fast and Furious" comments go, the STi is a legitimately fast car and Subaru owners are not like Civic/Eclipse owners. Show up to a meet with glowing lights, chrome wheels, stupid graphics and stickers for upgrades you don't have and you will be laughed into the street.
  • kevm14kevm14 Posts: 423
    As far as the "Fast and Furious" comments go, the STi is a legitimately fast car and Subaru owners are not like Civic/Eclipse owners. Show up to a meet with glowing lights, chrome wheels, stupid graphics and stickers for upgrades you don't have and you will be laughed into the street.

I'm sure you get enough people with, for example, a 98 2.5RS with the gold wheels, who think their cars are just as good as yours. That would irritate me, unless they were cool. For some reason, I associate 2.5RS with poseur.
  • generally, any upgrade that is in line with the heritage of Subaru is not looked down upon. Chrome is the big no-no or anything associated with "bling." My STi is black with the gold wheels and you find a lot of WRX guys with the gold pro drive P1 wheels and even the 2.5RS guys. STi trunk swaps are common which I think is kind of funny. Many STi owners trade their trunk lid for the flat wing on the WRX or even no wing at all. The trunk lid has to be swapped b/c the holes do not line up but I digress......Lancer people have a worse problem with posers b/c at least the impreza line is all AWD, 4- wheel disc brakes, and two out of 3 models are turbo.
    Actually, those rims were 16"x7" but they could fit brake upgrade kits that most 17" rims could fit, so they are seen as desirable in the Impreza community.

Back then the RS has the rear limited-slip diff and it was a lot lighter than today's WRX.

It wasn't a rocket but with 0-60 in the mid 7s and great traction plus light weight, it was a bit more than just a poseur.

-juice
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    The Subaru is a rally car while the GTO is a GT car.

The new GTO is a Holden Monaro with some changes like a different fuel tank.

HSV is Holden's performance division. An HSV coupe will handle better than a standard Monaro. So anything HSV uses on an HSV coupe will likely fit on a new GTO

check here

HSV
    That 4 door is what the Catera should have been.

-juice
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    Cadillac has a new rwd chassis which the CTS and STS use.
    I mean back then, when it was being sold.

Catera got a relatively wimpy V6 IIRC.

This platform dates all the way back to a 1993 Opel.

-juice
  • They had a great review of the Vauxhall (Holden) Monaro. Jeremy Clarkson had a blast in one, called it a poor man's M6 IIRC. Take the non functional hood scoops off and add a Baer/Brembo brake kit and I would be a very happy man.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    Since I wasn't actually planning on hitting the rally circuit in my everyday driver, I went with the ol' goat. Strangely, I use it for driving around in great comfort at (sometimes) high speed, commuting, on weekend trips, etc. I have yet to cruise, burnout or perform donuts.

The STi seems like a cool little car - nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I also wonder which is more likely to get dirt under it's tires - an STi or any one of the Navigator/Escalade/LX470/etcs that clog my local grocery store parking lot. I don't imagine either the rally-capabilities of an STi (debatable anyway) or the off-road capabilities of an Escalade are used much, if ever.
    Because the Subie uses its AWD every time it rains or snows. Depends on where you live but that could be quite often.

-juice
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    Nothing wrong with having AWD, especially in rain or snow, (I'm in Austin, TX, so little problem with snow). But to use the Subaru WRC car to assert that the STi is a better car than the GTO is really stretching it. It's almost as bad as buying a family sedan because Jeff Gordon won in one on the NASCAR circuit.
This discussion has been closed.