Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 350

jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
Any information on the next generation Lexus ES, which will be the last ES to share a platform with the Camry, according to what've heard on a few other boards.

Comments

• motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    The next generation ES will have the 3.5L V6 engine from the Avalon. Lexus has already patented the ES 350 name. The question is whether horsepower will stay at 280 like the Avalon or will be bumped up to 300 or more like the upcoming IS350. One way to distinguish the 350 from the Avy is to give it a higher HP engine. Also, expect a new 6 speed auto to replace the current 5 speed auto.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Any pictures?
  • kmg68kmg68 Posts: 108
    Does anyone know whether they are still planning to release the MY2007 in Spring of 2006? I have been looking for more information on this but can't find it anywhere.
    As usual, Lexus is hush-hush about this car....

Hopefully we'll find out SOMETHING before the last minute...
    I think a Spring 06 release is very likely. I expect there would be a short production run for the 06 MY with the all new 07 being released sometime in March or April of next year. I don't think Lexus ES wants to be inferior to the Avalon for much longer.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I doubt it will come in spring 2006. The ES has always been on full 5-year production run and new generations have always hit showrooms in August to September of the year. Plus, the current ES330 is selling well anyway, so there is really no alarm bells like with the GS that would lead them to bring out a new ES in the spring.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    As in the stock market, I dont know that the past is an indicator of future performance. Sure, the ES has always been on a full 5 year production run, but so was the Avalon. And the Corolla for the past several generations. (The Sienna also didnt do Toyota's typical 5 year cycle). Plus, it has already leaked that the next Camry will arrive by March of 2006 due to the extremely competitive landscape. If thats the case, which I believe it is, why would Toyota choose to run two generations of Camry and ES concurrently. So for me personally, I think its more likely than not that the next ES will arrive in the Spring/Summer 06 timeframe.

~alpha
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    I am likewise thinking Spring 06. Toyota usually releases its vehicles in the spring, no? Just in time for people to be paying off their Christmas debts :)
    Toyota would probably not have two generations of Camry/ES running at the same time, so whenever the new Camry comes out, I expect the new ES to come out too, which points to a Spring 2006 introduction.
  • asawasaw Posts: 54
    Does anybody have pictures of this soon to be released model?
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Posts: 729
    But the ONLY reason it will come out early is to clear the field for the new LS in Fall of 06.

If they came out at the same time, that would cripple the ES, and would not help the LS either, so the release will be early.

I wouldn't wait up for a 300Hp FWD ES, with a 240HP GS above it.

An AWD Hybrid with 300HP for '08-09 is a real possibility.

DrFill
    I'm guessing the ES330 will get around 240-255 horsepower. Past generations of the ES have never promoted horsepower but instead promoted luxury, a smooth ride, and a very serene driving experience.
    I doubt the next Lexus will have less than the 280 Hp of the Avalon. The Avalon is also FWD with virtually no torque steer. Remember, the Avalon's 260 lb-ft of torque comes at 4700 rpm. This is a smooth relatively high revving engine that can produce 280+ Hp without losing any quietness or smoothness. The 3.5L V6 is smoother and more refined than the current 3.3L engine.
    Does ANYBODY have pictures of this car?
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    That Japanese MagX website had a shot of the rear end. It has the new Lexus look with the narrow IS style tail lights. It's not on their front page anymore, so I think you might have to have a password to get more info/pics, or at least know Japanese in order to navigate the site to the archives where that one picture might be.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    that Toyota has trademarked the 'ES350' badge for the Lexus brand, so I think the next ES will most certainly be using that engine.

~alpha
    I think its almost definite. It's just a matter of how much horsepower now...
    The way I see it, Lexus really has two tiers of cars: the ones for those who want a sportier driving experience, and the ones for those who, well, don't!

The ES is postioned so when and if people get more money, they can move up to the similar oh so smooth driving experience of the LS. The same goes for the IS and GS. That way, Lexus can keep more drivers in the Lexus fold. And if these people have families: RX or GX! And if they have children or guests with no legs: SC! And if they want a big ol' SUV, there's always the LX.

I'm sure that the ES will have the same if not more hp ratings as the Avalon. Otherwise, people would just buy the Avalon.
    The ES and Avalon have a different target audience. The Avalon is a full sized sedan while the ES is a midsize.

Also, the ES has the prestige of the slanted L badge, and the great customer service that goes with it. People are willing to pay a premium for that L badge.

Toyota, on the otherhand, has some dealers that treat customers pretty poorly and the buying process is always as enjoyable as getting a root canal.
    Well, the fact is that people are bound to notice that:
    a) the new Avalon is almost as cushy as an ES
    b) cheaper
    c) handles better

"""The ES and Avalon have a different target audience. The Avalon is a full sized sedan while the ES is a midsize""

Target audiences are different? That's like saying that the T&C and DGC have different target audiences. Size doesn't mean too terribly much. "Target Audience" is a phrase sometimes used by auto manfacturers to tell people who they would like to buy that car. However, the world that realy people live in and the world of "Target Audiences" is fairly different.