Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Real World MPG

Comments

• I average 18 in city driving..16 as a low and 20 as a highl..I'm talking 7 traffic lights. and and six stop signs in a 2 mile stretch on a daily basis...on the highway I have gotten up to 27 a few times but that was shortlived. If my husband drives he'll average 14. I have definitly changed my style of driving since buying my pac 2 months ago.He tries to drive it like he's in his crossfire.
  • Anyone seeing better MPG with the "base" engine?
  • On 11/9/06, after I nearly emptied out the gas that came with the car from the dealer w/ 150+ miles on it, I filled it up with 93 octane fuel to see what would happen even though 89 is what's recommended.

I've gotten to 100 miles at half tank whch is about 8.6/mpg. All city driving. Specfically commuting from the Bronx to Manhattan. A far cry from Chrysler's stated 17/mpg!

I thought I would get better gas mileage from the Pacifica than my 1997 Mercury Sable wagon with 187,000 miles on it but it's about the same.

On 11/18/06 I filled up with 89 octane. Let's see what happens in a week or so.
  • We have a 2005 base AWD. Started out with about 18.5 combination city/hwy. We now have 11,000 miles on it and the mileage just keeps improving. We now avg 20 city/hwy and have gotten a high of 23.5 on a trip with cruise set at 70 mph. We always use the 89 octane per the owners manual.
  • You've found the same thing I did with my 2004. Don't use more than 89 octane in the 3.5L or you risk absurd MPG numbers.

If you wait about 8,000-10,000mi and use 89, your MPG numbers will markedly improve.
  • Can anyone provide real-world numbers for the 2007 Touring FWD? We are considering taking the plunge. Want to know what to expect once it's ours.

Thanks,
    New_2_Board from IL
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Evening "New 2", hope the information on pricing was helpful. I'll share with you, and the board, my experience thus far with 1200 miles on my FWD Touring. Using 89 octane, I average @19.8 on my first tank (town and highway), @ 24.1 on my second tank (almost all highway) and roughly 19.5 thus far on my third tank (mostly in town and highway work commute). I'm NOT a "speed limit" driver on the highway but I have been driving gently when starting out (no jackrabbit starts, etc.). Frankly, I'm very pleased with the mileage thus far. That looming "16" city rating had me concerned, but nothing close so far.
  • J5,

Yes, both your posts on price and MPG have been very helpful. Thanks! The Pacifica would be "mine" since I work from home and my wife drives 70 miles round trip to work 5 days/week. I'm mostly concerned with in town MPG numbers.

We have decided to wait until the auto show hits St. Louis (usually the 1st weekend in February) before making a purchase decision. I'll post more about that in the prices paid section.

Thanks again,
    New_2_Board in IL
  • arriearrie Posts: 312
    Just made a long haul trip with four adults and their luggage in the car.

1950 miles. Filled up and recorded mileage each time.

Driving on Interstate highway at speed 77 mph 70% and 72 mph 30% of the distance.

Car's MPG display said 20 MPG but the actual correct value was 19.25 MPG.

I used regular fuel other than two tank fulls of mid grade that owners manual recommends. By the cars MPG display my MPG went down to 19.9 with mid grade fuel and stayed there for those two tank fulls until I filled up with regular grade fuel again.

I must say that I expected a little bit better MPG value as this represents only one MPG better than what my '04 Tahoe gets with the same driving conditions. Pacifica looks much better against wind resistance than Tahoe but seems awfully small difference in real world numbers.

Arrie
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    so you get 19 mpg in your Tahoe, which is rated at 14/18, while driving ~75 mph with 4 adults and luggage? That's pretty impressive! Chevy's are notoriously good on the highway due to extremely tall overdrive gears. Unfortunately, it is not a trait the Pac has.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• arriearrie Posts: 312
    qbrozen,

Let's do the math again. I said my Pac displayed 20 MPG but I also said that the actual value was 19.25 MPG.

19.25 MPG - 1 MPG = 18.25 MPG, which is what I usually get about with my Tahoe with the same driving conditions that I stated in my post for the Pac trip.

Arrie
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    thanks for the clarification. that's still pretty good, i think. like i said, chevy's are notorious for that. no need to get testy.

we're not thrilled with our Pac's mileage, either. Our Pilot did quite a bit better.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• bevo2bevo2 Posts: 2
    '06, 3.5L, FWD Touring, 16K - only at 17.8MPG and looking for a little increase. Previous Pathfinder was similar (maybe a touch less) and I was hoping for a little more out of the Pac.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Still managing to make mid 20's when ALL highway driving (last trip of 600 miles was 24.2MPG at fairly high speeds). In mixed driving to work (about 5 miles in town and 15 on highway), making about 18.8. I have never gotten close to the 16mpg city listed. Perhaps in town, in summer with AC on I'll get closer to that.
  • locnardlocnard Posts: 3
    I have a 05 fwd touring with the T package. Bought used Carfax stated it was a rental. Checked the computer and saw average mpg was just 16 and freaked. But that was a rental and only had 15K on the clock.I now have had it for nearly two years and have 55K on it. Consitently get between 21 and 23.5 mpg. I seldom run the 89 usually 87. Found the car does not like 93 so dont waste the money. Most of my driving is freeway I have a 100 mile a day commute.With bad traffic I drop to 19 but thats rare. BTW this is in Southern(very hilly)California.
  • For 2007 I see that they added 2 extra gears and a new engine. How are mpg's on this versus the 4 speed tranny and smaller engine?
  • Has anybody noticed a difference in MPG by using midgrade over regular? or a performance increase? I just read off the internet that midgrade is recommended but not required.
  • kkodalkkodal Posts: 34
    you would not notice a big change on the MPG BUT!!! on the performance there is a noticable change between 87 and 89 octane.
    as far as the gears on the new pacs made a big difference on both MPG and performance.you can feel the quickness with the 6 speed. ;)
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    We have just said yes to the dealer on a 2007 touring AWD. It comes with the 4. L engine. Is the 89 octane what needs to be used? Is this engine better than the 3.5?

farout
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Posts: 98
    I just traded my 05 touring in on an 07 base AWD with the 4.0 L engine. I had 89500 on my 05, and it stayed at 19 - 20 mpg. I got a good deal on this car so I am also hoping that the improvements on the 07 are as good as they say.

:confuse: :)