Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Cayman S

Comments

• jspencejspence Posts: 3
    Hi Jill, congratulations! I have a BMW, but am looking into a Cayman S right now as well. You should head over to caymanclub.net and introduce youself. :)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,593
    The base Cayman I saw was an '07 and stickered for $52000. Didn't drive it but it looked sweet.
  • JingleJillJingleJill Posts: 120
    My husband and I just drove a base Cayman. Very nice. I'd buy the base over the S. Not worth the difference of $10k.

Stacy
    My husband and I just drove a base Cayman. Very nice. I'd buy the base over the S. Not worth the difference of $10k.

I agree totally. I didn't have a problem with the black brake calipers, the blacked out front air dam or smaller wheels on the base C compared side-by-side with the CS.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    If you are comparing them side by side on looks, you are missing at least half of the equation. I went for a 911S over a base 911 because of the noticable difference in performance. I have not driven either the Cayman or Cayman S, ut if I were shopping for one, I'd test drive both models extensively.
  • JingleJillJingleJill Posts: 120
    The one thing I didn't like on the Base Cayman was the wheels. I think I would upgrade to the Base to the standard wheel on the S and I would also delete the model designation. Other than the horsepower and some vanity items, the Base is good!!! I also prefer the 5-spd over the 6-spd. The S is just a little harsher of a ride compared to the Base and as a daily driver, I would prefer the Base.

Both are very nice cars.

Stacy
    If you are comparing them side by side on looks, you are missing at least half of the equation. I went for a 911S over a base 911 because of the noticable difference in performance. I have not driven either the Cayman or Cayman S, ut if I were shopping for one, I'd test drive both models extensively.

Oh, no doubt.
  • weissbrweissbr Posts: 1
    Does anybody have any idea when a Cayman convertible will
    be available in the US?
    Contemplating my 1st Porsche purchase. Considering Boxster,
    Cayman Convertible (when available) or used 911 Convertible.
    Appreciate advice from others .
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,217
    There will be no Cayman convertible... The Boxster is pretty much the convertible version of the Cayman (or the Cayman is the coupe version of the Boxster, take your pick).

Next year, the Boxsters get the same engines as the Caymans.. at least according to Car & Driver...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 854
    ..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?
    ..Replying to: carnaught (Jul 17, 2006 5:37 pm)

The one thing I didn't like on the Base Cayman was the wheels. I think I would upgrade to the Base to the standard wheel on the S and I would also delete the model designation. Other than the horsepower and some vanity items, the Base is good!!! I also prefer the 5-spd over the 6-spd. The S is just a little harsher of a ride compared to the Base and as a daily driver, I would prefer the Base.

..what does the base Cayman show for a sticker price?

tks, ez..
  • bgsntthbgsntth Posts: 77
    Went in to the local dealer yesterday just to see if I fit in a Cayman, to squelch the dream so to speak. Turns out I fit and the salesman made me an offer straight-up that I could/can find little fault with, though I'm still suspicious. 24 months/10K, 3500 down plus first months, $499 per month. I read the detail up and down and could not find fault with it, but kept thinking I missed something. The MSRP was 54K, the final price was $47K, with 73% residual and 7.3% interest.

Defintely more down than I would have liked, but the payment is less that my Suby OBXT, so....
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• That does sound too good to be true - I just got quoted almost 800.00 per month for 36 months w/ 2k down. What dealer was it? I think you can name dealers just not salespeople.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Posts: 77
    Apologize for not checking back. The dealer was Sonnen in Mill Valley. At the time they said they had 4 others at this price, but it was a promotion.
  • sagaboysagaboy Posts: 1
    What about an owner of a 2005 MB 350 SLK owner who just put a deposit on a Cayman S who has used the 350 for everyday driving?
  • thank you - I live in southern CA and travel up there frequently. I had the same thing when I got a boxster - wildly different quotes... oh to be a female car enthusiast
  • Hi:

My beautiful 2006 Cayman-S sustained its first damage, a direct hit from a Home Depot hand cart. The black plastic fender just anterior to the rear tire and the body frame beneath the door took a hit. I was dismayed to see that a lifting jack is not included with the car(!), and there was no way to reach two special screws in the wheel well without removing the tire. I improvised with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver tip that goes in a drill chuck. I ordered the plastic part on-line with my Miami, FL dealer and will make a future trip to repair the dent. Select the following links (copy and paste if hyperlinks are not created) and view some images of the damage.
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788362
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788409
    http://www.pbase.com/adamstuart/image/65788538

Adam
    Kind of hard to see much damage on the Cayman, but great astronomical photos on your site. Mind if I share them with my daughters?
  • You are correct, not much damage. There is a nice-size dent in the frame of the car, however (select largest size photo to see). Sure, you can share my entire astrosite with your children.

Adam
  • britbbritb Posts: 4
    Hello, i am a new member and i have joined this forum to gain more knowledge of Porsche so I can make the best decision when buying a new car next summer. I had a 2002 M3 w/ SMG trans. and i loved the car but sold it in anticipation for the new M3 coming out soon. Well I was convinced i was making the right choice until.....the Cayman S was revealed. The reviews were staggering, everyone loved this car. It looks awesome, the price is well, not so bad for a supercar marque, but I have to be fair to my conscience and compare it to the M3, with 6 cyl at 333hp, 0-60 in 4.8 sec. and a starting price of $50k. The new M3 will be an 8cyl. car w/ 400hp., 0-60 in 4.5 and a starting price of approx. $53k. Now the Cayman S is 6 cyl. w/ 295 hp., 0-60 in 5.1 sec. and a starting price of $60k. Welcome to my conundrum, my heart moves at the thought of the Cayman, but my brain looks at the numbers and tells me the M3 is the obvious choice. Also, to make things worse, BMW is intent on upping the HP of the M3 while Porsche engineers purposely kept the Cayman's HP down just so it didn't compete with the 911!! The engine should easily put out more juice and it is frustrating to buy a car knowing full well it isn't all that it could be because of marketing politics. That Gentlemen, is shite!!
  • jrsljrsl Posts: 1
    how much discount off the MSRP you can get on an in stock brandnew porsche cayman S? Anybody?
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    I always liked the M3 and am looking forward to the new one too. As you know, it's a matter of preferences, power and some utility vs handling. I have always put handling on the highest of pedestals. You get a lower, lighter, true sports car with the Cayman.
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    how much discount off the MSRP you can get on an in stock brandnew porsche cayman S?

I'm hearing at least $7K off MSRP for 06.
  • jordom3jordom3 Posts: 2
    I just sold my 2003 M3 (manual, not SMG) to get the Cayman. If what you want is handling and balance, then there is no comparison; the Cayman crushes the M3. However, the M3 pulls stronger at speeds above 80mph. I have now been driving the Cayman for a few days and can honestly say that I do not miss the M3 at all (and I loved it while I had it).
    I'll add my voice to what was already said by designman and jordom3. The Cayman S is a pure sports car. The M3 is a sports coupe. They are both at the top of their class, but, IMO, you can't have as much fun driving a coupe no matter how much horsepower you put into it. Heck, I'd take the Cayman over the 600+ hp SL65 if I didn't need a back seat.

On the other hand if you do need a real back seat (as opposed to the kid sized ones in my 911), the M3 is hard to beat.
  • britbbritb Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. Is the power feel that much different? The thing I loved about the M3 is you could really get on it and the engine was so responsive and quick. Do you still feel that in the Cayman S?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I don't think the M3 is a fair comparison to the Cayman S. The BMW is basically a high performance 2-door sedan. Sure it's got more HP than the Porsche, but it also weighs 400 lbs more.

If you want to test a comparable BMW, you should be looking at the M Coupe.
  • kmanskmans Posts: 20
    I instruct at high performance driving events and I can tell you first hand that the Cayman S is more fun (and faster) at the track. If you need back seats get the M3 though.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    On the track, I suspect the Cayman's neutral handling and brakes are what make it a star. I've never driven one but hope to soon.

Personally, I don't think anyone is building a true "sports car" with a back seat today. Until someone does, I'll just keep my E30 M3, thank you very much.
    "Personally, I don't think anyone is building a true "sports car" with a back seat today."

My kids would take issue with that statement, as they fit quite comfortably in the back of our 911S Cab. So do 2 sets of golf clubs. But 6 footers will come out a little twisted.