Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 350

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    "If you want 60 extra HP you should hold off until the 07' 335i gets here. However if extra horses aren't your cup of tea and are satisfied with the 330i I'd say now is a good time to get it."

I am looking at the BMW more closely, but I think if I decide to go that way, it'll be for a slighty used '06 with very low miles, and a Certified Pre-Owned warranty.
    I cant stand the idea of paying top dollar for a car with a 4 year warranty that I'll wear out in milage in 2 years.
    That added with the fact that I can save enough to get what should be included (Leather, NAV, Stereo)... a slightly used model may be my best option.

That's what makes the TL such a contender... the toys are included for a very reasonable price.
    But I need a driving experience as well.
    I like the 330 and IS more for this reason.
    In reply to the comment about the IS350's base price...

"I just looked, and base pricing theoretically starts at 37,030 ish."

Lexus prices can differ depending on location.
    For example, at one point, the Mark Levinson package was available on the west coast, but not here in New England.
    The website will differ depending on the zipcode entered.

I'm in MA. Currently, the base price for the IS350 is $35,440.00

You can avoid all of this by special ordering, but that can take a few months.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Back in April I looked at the IS 250/350 - the availability was very poor - no cars in stock. Since I had some time I waited until July to see if inventory improved. It did not. I considered ordering a car - I asked two different dealerships if I could get a car without the 18 inch wheels - I was told NO a car could not even be ordered that way. I don't recall exactly - but there was one other so called option that was really required - some luxury package maybe. I ask them - why are they called options if ever car must have them? There is no answer for this question. But I think I know what the real reason is - Lexus like to say their base MSRP is under $35K (or whatever). I am in Houston Texas - maybe its different in other places - but all I know is there was no way possible to order a base IS in Houston Texas. Kind of sad - the IS was our first choice.
    I will admit that getting what you want from Lexus takes much more time and patience.

Go to an Acura dealer, tell them the TL color and package you want, and they pull it around for you.
    Couldn't be easier.

Lexus is nothing like that.
    With Lexus, they build a model at the factory in Japan in clumps.
    By this I mean... In January, February and March, the IS350 may only be built with the Sport Package.
    In April, May and June, it may only be built with the Luxury and Mark Levinson packages.

What this means is that if you want something not in current production, it CAN be ordered, at no additional cost, but it takes anywhere between a few weeks and 5 months to get.

I'm sorry if your Lexus salesguy was a moron.... I've seen this problem a lot while shopping around the Lexus dealers, they're mostly meatheads with little to no knowledge of the cars, or their options.

I was wanting the IS350 with Nav/Luxury/Mark Levinson Packages.
    I was told 5 months for delivery.
    I decided to wait until the 07s arrived.
    Nothing worse than taking delivery of an 06 one month before the 07's arrive!
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    The sales people I worked with at Lexus were pretty good - I think they knew I was a serious buyer - not someone just window shopping. They searched for a car meeting my requirements at another dealership - looked at what was ordered (both at their dealership and others) plus offered to order a car. Not sure what else they could have done - I do not think they were playing games - there really was a very limited supply of IS cars.

I also went through the - if I order a 2006 at the end of July I would get it in October - about the same time the 2007's show up.

I also agree with you about the Acura TL being easy to find - several dealers had over 100 in stock - every color combo - with & without nav. They were below invoice without much negotiation. I still like the cars Lexus sells - and will shop them next time we buy a vehicle.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    how is the legroom in an is rear seat vs. the TL. on paper, it seems like a lot...
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Posts: 102
    I heard the new IS300 will be available for sale in the Fall It could be around 250 to 275 hp. If you are not in a hurry why can't wait and then compare.

I think Acura TL's interior is very cool but its exterior look fails to impress me. Hopefully, the new TL will change all that
    "I heard the new IS300 will be available for sale in the Fall It could be around 250 to 275 hp. If you are not in a hurry why can't wait and then compare.

I think Acura TL's interior is very cool but its exterior look fails to impress me. Hopefully, the new TL will change all that"

The Lexus IS300 is no longer in production.
    The 2nd Gen IS is the 250/350 and HP is not changing this year, so what you heard about the 250-275 hp is incorrect, or you're reading from an old article.
    The TL's exterior is not changing until the 09 model arrives.
    The 07 model just has minor changes and offers the Type-S, at a rediculous price, if you ask me.

As for the back seat room in the IS... it sucks.
    The TL offers about 3" more legroom than the IS. In fact, the IS's backseat is usually the deal breaker for most people.
    I test drove the IS250 but the IS350 is in my crosshairs.
    I put the drivers seat where I would be comfortable to drive, and then climbed in the back.
    It was snug, but I fit.
    An adult could sit back there for about 30 minutes, wouldn't push it past that.

Now, the wife sits in the passenger seat and there is plenty of legroom behind her since she has shorter legs.
    I dont plan on toting a ton of people in my next ride.
    It's gonna be my A -> B toy, and my daughter has more than enough room in the back.

I have the 7 passenger 06 MDX for all my multi-passenger needs.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    The Lexus IS300 is no longer in production.

That's not entirely true...

The only 2nd gen IS sold in China is the IS300. As far as I know, China is the only market to have it (they don't have the 250 and 350). Why Lexus does this is totally beyond me.
    Ya, great

Is Lexus_in in China? :P
    Does he plan on going to China? :P
    Is this a Chinese forum? :P

And if Lexus is still offering the IS300 in China (which I could not quickly find info on)... is it the 2nd Gen Model, or still the old 1st Gen Model?

Considering the hp's mentioned, I assume it's a 1st Gen IS.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Here's the link...

Lexus China

Like I said, it is the 2nd gen IS.

I know it is irrelevant to Lexus_in's question but I was just trying to prove that Lexus is still producing the 300 model.
    Well, maybe we can agree that we're both correct.
    Maybe Lexus_in can jump in and explain to us, what it is we're discussing?

Yes, Lexus has an IS model in China which is labeled the IS300, looks like the 2nd gen IS250/350, but comes with completely different performance specs.
    Some countries have specific requirements.
    Maybe this is why Lexus has done this... who knows.

Anyway, when I stated that it is no longer in production, I was only referring to Lexus' production for the US....
    since this is where we are.

In the US, there is no new IS300.
    There is nothing coming to us in the form of a new IS300 in the fall.
    So...
    There is no use in him waiting for the new IS300 to compare to the 07 TL, unless he plans on importing a car from China which will most likely not even meet our countries emissions standards.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    I am interested to see the performance numbers between these two vehicles. Specifically, I would like to see how the RWD IS 350 performs without the VDIM engaged vs. the FWD TL-S with increased hp/torque and suspension upgrades.
    Well, I know that one will be a heck of a lot easier to keep on the road than the other. ;)
    The "reviews" thus far have these vehicles as they are equipped---with the TL out performing the IS in slalom and lane passing :P

0-60---different story ;)
    I haven't seen these reviews yet, but I do expect the Type-S to be a contender.
    I'd like to see them throw the 300hp 07 G35x into the mix as well, to see hot that holds up against these other 2 cars
    I'm not proficient enough with computers in pasting links but one of the reviews was from Car & Driver when the IS 350 first debuted. Huge controversy in how the 3er beat out the IS. ;)
    and the BMW 335. I bet I can guess which vehicle will win that comparo... ;)
    "I'm not proficient enough with computers in pasting links but one of the reviews was from Car & Driver when the IS 350 first debuted. Huge controversy in how the 3er beat out the IS."

I hope we compare price tags as well.
    If you take a BMW 3 series and add the necessary options to bring it up to what the IS has to offer, your at least $10,000 over the IS's price tag.

The BMW offers a better handling drive, and maybe a fraction of a second, depending on model and year.... and nothing more.

The IS is MUCH more refined, offers more bang for the buck and let's face it... it's nicer to look at too!
    The BMW offers a better handling drive, and maybe a fraction of a second, depending on model and year.... and nothing more.

What about a manual transmission? :P
This discussion has been closed.