Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Lexus IS 350

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Agreed
    Still not sure what Lexus was thinking there. :confuse:
  • Remember, not all car enthusiasts want or need a stick shift car.
    "Remember, not all car enthusiasts want or need a stick shift car."

When building a "sports" sedan, the option should be made available.

With that mentality, we could say that not all car enthusiasts want an Automatic, and for that reason, they should not be made available.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    When building a "sports" sedan, the option should be made available.

With that mentality, we could say that not all car enthusiasts want an Automatic, and for that reason, they should not be made available.

Amen. And, in fact, that worked just fine for the Honda S2000 and previous generation M5.

I have no trouble with a company like Porsche offering a Tiptronic to those that can't / won't drive a stick. But for Lexus - already known for being more than a little soft in the middle - not offering a stick on the IS350 is certainly not helping that image.
  • Reality is there's more demand for automatics than manuals. So, maybe Lexus thought it would make more business sense not to offer a manual for the IS 350 in its first model year? :confuse:
    We'll know if that's acurate in about one month.
    Rumors are that the 07 IS will offer a switch to turn off the VDIM, no more tap dance in the driver's seat.
    No definite word on a Munual 350 yet.
    Stopped by the dealer last night for some RDX party, and to ask a question about our MDX.

While I was there, I asked if brochures were available for the '07 TL.
    They didn't have any but they are on order, should be in within the next few weeks.

The Sales Manager who sold me my MDX knows what I want in the TL, if I choose to go that way.

He said that the Manual 6-Speed will only be available in the Type-S model.
    The regular TL will only offer the Auto transmission.

I hope he's wrong.
    The slight increase of hp, I dont find the additional $5,000 to be worth it...personally.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    scottm123,

Your manager is wrong, at least according to C & D August 06 article.

A 28 hp increase, 23lb ft of increased torque, suspension upgrades, exterior mods, quadruple exhaust and interior refinements might be worth the 5k premium to some.... ;)
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    A 28 hp increase, 23lb ft of increased torque, suspension upgrades, exterior mods, quadruple exhaust and interior refinements might be worth the 5k premium to some....

Wow, your 5K must be worth a lot less than my 5 grands.
    What I am saying is that it's very disappointing for a lot of folks who wish for the manual transmission but don't need the Type-S

Paying $5,000 for the Manual option is not going to be very acceptable to some.
    Assuming he is correct, I would tend to agree with you. Maybe Acura is following Lexus' philosophy??

However, IMHO, I just don't see how the 07 (base) TL with the same engine, torque, horsepower, etc.. would be any different than its predecessors, i.e. not having a manual tranny option.

It wouldn't cost the manufacturer anything to keep the manual tranny option on the base model. :cry:
    I completely agree, and that ws the source of my surprise.
    He also told me that they are dropping the RSX.
    The TSX will take it's place as Acura's base model.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Don't know about the manual not being available on the base model but he's right on the RSX. I think Acura announced that early this year or late last year. With Acura dropping the RSX maybe we'll see the return of the prelude?
    Info on acura.com states there is no manual tranny on "regular" TL.
    TL Type-S Engine
    3.5-liter SOHC V-6 aluminum alloy engine
    286 hp at 6200 rpm and 256 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm
    Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®)
    Dual-stage induction system with lightweight magnesium intake manifold
    Cold-air intake system
    High flow, sport tuned exhaust system with quad finishers (Type-S)
    Computer-controlled Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
    Direct ignition system
    Compact in-head exhaust manifolds
    High flow close-coupled catalytic converters plus under floor catalytic converter
    High capacity 32-bit RISC processor engine control unit
    105,000 mile tune-up intervals

6-Speed Manual Transmission (TL Type-S only)
    Close ratio spacing for maximum performance
    Multi-cone synchronizers (first through fourth gears)
    Reverse lock-out feature prevents accidental engagement
    Lightweight high-pressure-cast aluminum-alloy transmission housing
    Improved clutch feel for smoother engagement
    Advanced clutch torsion mechanism reduces gear noise
    Helical gear limited-slip differential reduces wheel spin and maximizes acceleration

Type-S Exclusive Features
    Black chrome grille trim (satin chrome on TL)
    Redesigned bumper with black chrome crossbar and horizontal mesh trim
    Pronounced "splitter" lip on front valance

10-spoke alloy wheels in Dark Euro Silver
    Smoked rear side marker lights
    Wider, more aggressive side sill moldings

Exclusive rear bumper with trunk lid spoiler diffuser
    Redesigned and unique lower valance
    Large diameter quad exhaust finishers
    Black chrome taillight trim
    New Type-S logo

Features exclusive to the TL Type-S include:
    Increased damping rates for superior handling
    Rear spring rate increased
    A solid front anti-roll bar and thicker rear anti-roll bar
    Damper mount stiffness increased 400 percent for enhanced response and feel
    Exclusive master cylinder for enhanced brake feel
    Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
    Available 235/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE 030 high-performance "summer" tires optional on automatic and manual transmission models

I guess my 5k is worth more :P
  • I can't get pass those ugly wheels and the FWD.

However, I will wait until I actually see the car and test drive it before I start throwing stones.
  • trackstarrtrackstarr Posts: 9
    Blah, Blah, Blah.....At the end of the day the TL Type-S will still lose to an IS350.

Why are people trying to compare the IS350 with TL's, or G35's, etc.

Lexus and BMW consider each other as competitors. So in reality its $3-5K less expensive than a comparably equipped 335. Ok so great it doesn't handle as good but then its 10x more reliable, just as quick (saw a stock one repeatedly run mid-to-low 13's in the qtr mile), and provides more luxury. You sit in an Acura or Infiniti and see Honda and Nissan. There is no Toyota that is based off the IS.
    "Blah, Blah, Blah.....At the end of the day the TL Type-S will still lose to an IS350."

First place: Acura TL Type S 1:36:67 sec
    Second place: Lexus IS350 1:38:24 sec
    Third place: Infiniti G35 1:38:67 sec

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275963

"Lexus and BMW consider each other as competitors."

LOL. :P
    Maybe if ggesq was a real car enthusiast I would take his comments seriously.

If they don't consider each other as competitors than why would Lexus bring out the IS? To compete it with the TL's and the G35? Please!!

And if BMW doesn't consider Lexus as a competitor than why did they turn the 330 into the 335i? To take G35 and TL customers away?
    Your 1st, 2nd, 3rd place is based off of who can go around a track the quickest. And based on how close those times are, it is down to the skill of the driver.

In the realworld out on the streets, the TL "Type-S" will lose everytime.

And its sad that a company with such a great heritage of making awesome motorcycle engines and 4 cylinder VTEC engines, can not produce something over 300hp. You can yank 240hp out of an S2000, but can't go over 300hp with a 3liter V6?

Infiniti is about to produce 330hp out of basically the same VQ-series engine they have used for over a decade. And Honda/Acura can't? Why not?
This discussion has been closed.