Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

buy an used with a history of stolen-recovered?

rookier_alexrookier_alex Member Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in General
I am considering buying an used car. I test drove it; and the price was fair. Then I obtained the VIN and the plate information; and ran a carfax check. It turned out during the first ownership (a rental company), there was a record saying "Vehicle reported stolen" in 2010, then records of "Key(s) (re)programmed New key(s) cut","Vehicle purchase reported", "Registration issued or renewed, Loan or lien reported", and "Vehicle recovered after theft" in the following weeks. I really don't know what happened to this car 6 years ago during this incident. And I wanna seek advice if this history shall be of concern, since it was more than 6 years ago. Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    How old is the car? (just tell us what it is)
    How many miles?
    What is the price?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rookier_alexrookier_alex Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, kyfdx and Mr_Shiftright. it's a 2009 ford focus ses, 100k miles, the price is 4200, about 200 below the book pp price. (In the area I live, ppl usually ask for prices a few hundred bucks above the kbb price.) the weird records were in Feb 2010. Current owner bought the car in 2011. The records from carfax are below.

02/04/2010 Tennessee
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Vehicle reported stolen

02/15/2010 Baxter Ford West
    Dodge
    Elkhorn, NE
    402-934-5656
    baxterford.com
    Key(s) (re)programmed
    New key(s) cut

03/01/2010 Colorado
    Motor Vehicle Dept.